[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

PG Dilemma

Author Poll
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
Obviously it's still so early, but i want to see where everyone stands on this topic currently. I think it's more than not a given that Hardaway, Knox, Porzingis, and Robinson will start at the 2 thru 5 next year. Ntilikina has been solid and improved, but still lacks the playmaking to this point that will maximize guys like KP and Robinson. Knox and Hardaway have playmaking skills, but should not be relied on for that role. Let's assume Kyrie resigns in Boston. Subject to change, your PG preference in the future is:
Kemba at or near the max
Rozier at 15-20 mil to per year
Bledsoe at 15-20 mil per year
Rubio at 15-20 mil per year
Frank will develop into the playmaker we need
Draft a PG next summer
View Results

Author Thread
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

11/5/2018  12:34 PM
Why do the Knicks need to spend 15-20 million AAV on a point guard?

Point guard has the LOWEST POSITIONAL VALUE IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE

NBA draft, FA and trade history shows you can find a functional point guard all over. In the draft, late in the draft, in the 2nd round, as an UDFA, even in random trades. You can even find a really good one late in a draft.

Good resource management means you should spend most of your money on versatile wings. You need a rim protector who can space the floor. This is where the bulk of your money should go. Plenty of wings can also run the offense.

Part of the reason the Knicks PG situation is so horrible is they spent their cap poorly elsewhere. This is what happens when you spend poorly and use poor resource management.

AUTOADVERT
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
11/5/2018  1:03 PM
KD is my pg of choice, at whatever dollar figure it takes!
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/5/2018  1:14 PM
franco12 wrote:KD is my pg of choice, at whatever dollar figure it takes!

Exactly. All but the last 2 options are INSANE

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
knicks1248
Member: #582
11/5/2018  1:28 PM
TripleThreat wrote:Why do the Knicks need to spend 15-20 million AAV on a point guard?

NBA draft, FA and trade history shows you can find a functional point guard all over. In the draft, late in the draft, in the 2nd round, as an UDFA, even in random trades. You can even find a really good one late in a draft.

Good resource management means you should spend most of your money on versatile wings. You need a rim protector who can space the floor. This is where the bulk of your money should go. Plenty of wings can also run the offense.

Part of the reason the Knicks PG situation is so horrible is they spent their cap poorly elsewhere. This is what happens when you spend poorly and use poor resource management.

then where the hell is ours, and BTW, functional PG's are not going to cut it in this era of Basketball,You need a borderline all star.

We have had the worst luck in the NBA when it comes to POINT GUARDS

ES
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
11/5/2018  2:08 PM
Last years developmental failure is hurt Frank. He needed to start and play heavy minutes last year from the very beginning. What I see is Frank doesn’t have the stamina necessary to play fast. He has no legs left that is why his shooting is getting worse and worse. He is aiming his shots. The shots are not instinctively shot.

Frank needs to trust his shot and let it fly.

knicks1248
Member: #582
11/5/2018  2:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/5/2018  2:39 PM
Vmart wrote:Last years developmental failure is hurt Frank. He needed to start and play heavy minutes last year from the very beginning. What I see is Frank doesn’t have the stamina necessary to play fast. He has no legs left that is why his shooting is getting worse and worse. He is aiming his shots. The shots are not instinctively shot.

he had an entire summer to work on his ball handling and shooting (which by all accounts he was)and I don't see much improvement, just like mudiay's shot is still ugly going into his 4th NBA season.

A couple of us stated over the summer he needed to be more involved in these pick up games in the streets with other NBA players (like Burke).

His shot selection is horrible, long 20 foot 2 pointers, he shoots with zero confidence which is why he's so reluctant to shoot. His handle needs major work and his passing is only good in a PnR set.

I'm starting to think frank will me more like a Tim Thomas, so much potential but don't have the mentality to putt it all together.

ES
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

11/5/2018  2:42 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:Why do the Knicks need to spend 15-20 million AAV on a point guard?

then where the hell is ours, and BTW, functional PG's are not going to cut it in this era of Basketball,You need a borderline all star.

We have had the worst luck in the NBA when it comes to POINT GUARDS

ROFL - Borderline All Star

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Knixkik
USA
11/5/2018  3:10 PM

You can find a decent stopgap like Burke anywhere, but you need to find a legit starting PG to be a good team. The only time you don't need to is when you have Lebron, Harden, etc. We need to maximize the talent of guys like KP, Robinson, and Knox, so we need a good PG. It's essential.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/5/2018  3:32 PM
Vmart wrote:Last years developmental failure is hurt Frank. He needed to start and play heavy minutes last year from the very beginning. What I see is Frank doesn’t have the stamina necessary to play fast. He has no legs left that is why his shooting is getting worse and worse. He is aiming his shots. The shots are not instinctively shot.

It was reported that by February Frank was worn down from the minutes he had been given and the nba grind. He also was supposed to be working out all summer to build up his stamina(stayed in US, worked out w/ the Iz kids etc.). I am not sure if his troubles are stamina based but he is playing more minutes. I haven't watched much film on Frank before he was a Knick. Was his shooting a lot better before he came to the nba? Would you decrease his minutes and try to build his stamina?
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/5/2018  3:33 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/5/2018  3:35 PM
No dilemma. Robinson is not nearly developed. Our guards got destroyed last night by perhaps one of the better tandems in the league. Wall and Beal are monsters. A bad game is to be expected. Frank's shot looked like crap. Trier showed fire but also some of that immaturity. Mitchell lost his mind too.
No dilemma, just a bad road loss. Wiz are better then their record so what is the expectation? Mitch vs. Dwight? Last of the dinocenters? Frank got schooled. RainMan1248 over reacting again. Tim Thomas? Really, You can see that at age 20?

Guess what, Knicks slated to be a lottery team for a reason. I thought they crawled back was a good thing but as we know they lack talent to close out games. Timmy was hurt. He should not have been playing.
"Momma said there would be days like this"....Maybe not Momma, but Nalod did.
So many games to go, Im not deciding on who to draft or who to sign in free agency. We don't know our position nor who the better players ranking at this time.
Not signing Kemba or any max deal for a PG unless they are 26.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
11/5/2018  4:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/5/2018  4:12 PM
With the direction of position-less athletic bbal we need passing and defending PG with decent 3-ball.
We have one in Frank but it is not clear if he will be starter or backup/situational player.
So we need to get at least one more of this kind over draft/trade/FA.
There is no rush at all so we should have a lot of opportunities to solve this problem.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Knixkik
USA
11/5/2018  4:16 PM
arkrud wrote:With the direction of position-less athletic bbal we need passing and defending PG with decent 3-ball.
We have one in Frank but it is not clear if he will be starter or backup/situational player.
So we need to get at least one more of this kind over draft/trade/FA.
There is no rush at all so we should have a lot of opportunities to solve this problem.

I agree.

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
11/5/2018  6:28 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

It was reported that by February Frank was worn down from the minutes he had been given and the nba grind. He also was supposed to be working out all summer to build up his stamina(stayed in US, worked out w/ the Iz kids etc.). I am not sure if his troubles are stamina based but he is playing more minutes. I haven't watched much film on Frank before he was a Knick. Was his shooting a lot better before he came to the nba? Would you decrease his minutes and try to build his stamina?

This might sound crazy but I would increase his minutes.

Knickoftime
Member: #3370

11/5/2018  6:43 PM
So do I have this straight, after every good game during his second season we're going to post feel good threads about his future and after every bad game we're going to question his future?
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/5/2018  7:08 PM
Knickoftime wrote:So do I have this straight, after every good game during his second season we're going to post feel good threads about his future and after every bad game we're going to question his future?

Don't matter as long as that tank keep rolling.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
11/5/2018  7:18 PM
Knickoftime wrote:So do I have this straight, after every good game during his second season we're going to post feel good threads about his future and after every bad game we're going to question his future?

First time posting on a message board?

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

11/5/2018  7:24 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:

First time posting on a message board?

I'm a half-full type.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/5/2018  10:28 PM

That’s accurate!

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/5/2018  10:45 PM
Coach seems to have noticed his struggles. He went from 32 mins a night to 22 to 16. He isn't losing minutes because of his d.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nykshaknbake
Member: #492
11/5/2018  10:56 PM

If Frank has no stamina it's not because he got 25 instead of 35 minutes/game. I personally don't see the lack of stamina, but conditioning is the responsibility of each individual player even those that hardly play.

PG Dilemma

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy