[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Thomas a glue guy, but he's killing us on O
Author Thread
stanleybostitch
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1071

10/21/2018  10:47 AM
Through the first few games I've had my eye on Thomas. Initial observations:

• He's a stout defender down near the rim, forcing guys to the baseline and into poor shots
  • He isn't as good defending on the perimeter as he doesn't get around screens as well as Frank
  • He has near zero offense, and we are effectively playing 4-on-5 each possession he is on the floor

Though he's only averaging 18mins/game, I'm just not sure the "intangibles" he brings are enough to justify his spot in the starting five. Maybe we start Hezonja and bring Thomas off the bench...eventually this will get sorted out with the return of KP, the addition of a KD type, another high pick, and development of Knox and Frank. Then he becomes a fantastic 8th man on the bench - that's when we're playoff ready and making noise.

The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
AUTOADVERT
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

10/21/2018  10:52 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/21/2018  10:53 AM
Well this I agree with. He did hit a big 3 last but other than that he doesnt score and misses a lot of easy shots/layups. Frank will at least have a stretch where he can score a few buckets in a row when fiz puts the ball in his hands. However im fine with fizdales decision. It takes some pressure off Knox until he is ready. This year is mainly about development
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/21/2018  11:08 AM
stanleybostitch wrote:Through the first few games I've had my eye on Thomas. Initial observations:

• He's a stout defender down near the rim, forcing guys to the baseline and into poor shots
  • He isn't as good defending on the perimeter as he doesn't get around screens as well as Frank
  • He has near zero offense, and we are effectively playing 4-on-5 each possession he is on the floor

Though he's only averaging 18mins/game, I'm just not sure the "intangibles" he brings are enough to justify his spot in the starting five. Maybe we start Hezonja and bring Thomas off the bench...eventually this will get sorted out with the return of KP, the addition of a KD type, another high pick, and development of Knox and Frank. Then he becomes a fantastic 8th man on the bench - that's when we're playoff ready and making noise.

The thing with Hezonja is that he is a really really bad defender. I thought the reason he got yanked from the Boston game was he kept losing his man (Rozier?), especially in transition. Shooting poorly and fouling a lot too. World class athlete who doesn't seem to be able to put it together so far.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
StarksEwing1

10/21/2018  11:18 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/21/2018  11:19 AM
martin wrote:
stanleybostitch wrote:Through the first few games I've had my eye on Thomas. Initial observations:

The thing with Hezonja is that he is a really really bad defender. I thought the reason he got yanked from the Boston game was he kept losing his man (Rozier?), especially in transition. Shooting poorly and fouling a lot too. World class athlete who doesn't seem to be able to put it together so far.

Thats a fair analysis on Mario. Great athlete and can score multiple ways but you gotta be able to do other things. I know is this day and age offense is the most popular but you gotta be able to defend in order to have a better chance to win. So although I agree with Lance's lack of offense offense I understand why he gets the nod
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/21/2018  11:36 AM
KNicks are getting 9 pts and 4 rebounds a game from their starting forwards.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
StarksEwing1

10/21/2018  12:10 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
martin wrote:

Thats a fair analysis on Mario. Great athlete and can score multiple ways but you gotta be able to do other things. I know is this day and age offense is the most popular but you gotta be able to defend in order to have a better chance to win. So although I agree with Lance's lack of offense offense I understand why he gets the nod
its only 3 games in. To be fair only timmy and kanter are giving us consistent big offensive games
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

10/21/2018  12:31 PM

In a situation like this ( lots of turmoil/losing for the franchise in recent times, lots of shakeups in the coaching area) , it's better to start veterans already established with the team. It's a LONG LONG LONG season and it's easier in the lockerroom to shift a guy out after he's proven non production ( for Thomas, yet AGAIN)

Starting new players then putting in veterans back to starting after the new players don't produce only gets resentment from lots of guys.

Some guys need that kind of external validation. Their egos are that fragile. They need to see their name as a starter, their name called out at the beginning of the game, then 3 minutes in the game, get pushed out for the guy taking most of the minutes.

From the GM's side, while Thomas has no trade value, it doesn't hurt to see if the 1 percent chance happens where Thomas has a strong run and maybe you can trade him.

It's better if Thomas does not shoot the ball. He can hit an open set shot three, which would be fine if he was a rim protecting big man. But he doesn't hit at enough efficiency and volume and his decision making is actually pretty ass with the ball in his hands. The team is better off if he's not shooting.

His contract makes no sense except as validation that Coach K's good word can help anyone. Coach K could give a press conference and some pedophile could end up a school principal if enough Blue Devil magic got soothed over to the public.

What impresses the hell out of me is how Lance Thomas can be such a low BBIQ player and have survived for so long under Coach K's good graces.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/21/2018  2:02 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:Well this I agree with. He did hit a big 3 last but other than that he doesnt score and misses a lot of easy shots/layups. Frank will at least have a stretch where he can score a few buckets in a row when fiz puts the ball in his hands. However im fine with fizdales decision. It takes some pressure off Knox until he is ready. This year is mainly about development

It's way too early, but Thomas is actually hitting 40% of his threes. Yeah, it's on a really low volume, but the ball movement hasn't been the best. We're not a good team. It's not just one player. We have guys who need to develop along with retreads looking to stick on. You replace Lance with whoever and we're still 1 and 2. We should at least wait a few weeks before going in on a particular player.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
StarksEwing1

10/21/2018  2:28 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:Well this I agree with. He did hit a big 3 last but other than that he doesnt score and misses a lot of easy shots/layups. Frank will at least have a stretch where he can score a few buckets in a row when fiz puts the ball in his hands. However im fine with fizdales decision. It takes some pressure off Knox until he is ready. This year is mainly about development

It's way too early, but Thomas is actually hitting 40% of his threes. Yeah, it's on a really low volume, but the ball movement hasn't been the best. We're not a good team. It's not just one player. We have guys who need to develop along with retreads looking to stick on. You replace Lance with whoever and we're still 1 and 2. We should at least wait a few weeks before going in on a particular player.

im not saying he should be replaced. In fact I think fiz is doing the right thing same with frank. I know some bitch about that but you need defense. This year is all about the youngsters and putting them in the right situation.
BigDaddyG

10/21/2018  3:18 PM
martin wrote:

Wow...missed this. I'm not sure what to make of Salty old man Gaines lol

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
10/21/2018  3:25 PM
Who is going to replace Thomas as a starter? Mario plays little defense and I still don't think Knox is ready (plus he is hurt). Noah is in a good role as backup. So I am not sure there is a better option. Plus, the thinking may be that Thomas is holding the spot for KP, so when KP comes back, everyone else would stay in their current roles and Thomas can move to the bench.
Trust the Process
StarksEwing1

10/21/2018  3:33 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:

tough words but not untrue. He is an offensive player purely.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/21/2018  3:39 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:

I don’t find them even tough. Just straight forward honest.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG

10/21/2018  3:40 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:

It's hard to figure out where to plug him in. Power forward seems to be his best position, but can you justify playing him over Vonleh right now? Maybe a MitchRob, Thomas and Hezonja alignment down the line?

Sangfroid
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #2784

10/21/2018  3:52 PM
TheGame wrote:Who is going to replace Thomas as a starter? Mario plays little defense and I still don't think Knox is ready (plus he is hurt). Noah is in a good role as backup. So I am not sure there is a better option. Plus, the thinking may be that Thomas is holding the spot for KP, so when KP comes back, everyone else would stay in their current roles and Thomas can move to the bench.

Next man up, Luke Kornet. 7 footer with a 3 point shot and some blocking ability. Last I looked, he's young enough to be considered part of the youth movement. Let's make this a full throated development movement. He can't be any worse than Thomas or Mitch.

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

10/21/2018  5:41 PM
CrushAlot wrote:KNicks are getting 9 pts and 4 rebounds a game from their starting forwards.

Ouch!!!

StarksEwing1

10/21/2018  5:58 PM
Uptown wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:KNicks are getting 9 pts and 4 rebounds a game from their starting forwards.

Ouch!!!

not why we lost. I mean those guys are also giving is the best defense keeping us in the game
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

10/21/2018  6:20 PM
Regardless...9 & 4 from the 3 & 4 spots combined is pathetic...no way to spin that unless you are telling me that we are holding the opposition to 9 and 4 too....
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

10/21/2018  6:29 PM
Our starting backcourt is averaging 8 assists combined and taking close to 35 shots a game.
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
BigDaddyG

10/21/2018  6:31 PM
Uptown wrote:Regardless...9 & 4 from the 3 & 4 spots combined is pathetic...no way to spin that unless you are telling me that we are holding the opposition to 9 and 4 too....

We're bad, but Frank is being agressive and I believe the shots will fall. Flipside?

Thomas a glue guy, but he's killing us on O

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy