[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Kevin O'Connor on Noah, and Free Agency
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
10/15/2018  7:18 PM
The Knicks used the stretch provision this weekend to waive center Joakim Noah, which means his salary will be on the books for $6.4 million through the 2021-22 season (though they’re still paying his full $18.5 million salary this year). It’s a disappointing decision for New York, but it was necessary. Even if the Knicks had kept Noah, league sources believe they’d have been forced to waive him next summer anyway in an attempt to create enough cap space to pursue Durant.

No team wants Noah; he’s dead weight who can’t contribute on the court and offers little as a veteran leader. Considering the Nuggets just gave up a top-12-protected 2019 first-round pick to unload Kenneth Faried, who can still play competitive basketball, the price likely would have been even steeper for the Knicks. Cutting bait now allowed the Knicks to retain young fliers Noah Vonleh and Allonzo Trier, and retain all their future assets.

The difference in New York’s cap flexibility between waiving Noah now rather than later is minuscule. Depending on how high their 2019 first-round pick lands, the Knicks can create more than $32.4 million in cap space to sign a player like Butler or Walker if they waive Lance Thomas. They’ll need to manufacture more than $37.8 million in space to fit Durant’s 10-year veteran maximum on their cap sheet. They can get there by trading Courtney Lee or Tim Hardaway Jr.—neither of whom would require the level of sweeteners in a dump that Noah would’ve, since both provide on-court value. If they can’t sign anyone next summer, then waiving Noah with two years remaining on his contract could look silly. But their intent is clear, so don’t be surprised if Lee and Hardaway Jr. end up in the rumor mill this season.

Lee, a dynamic shooter and plus defender when he tries, has already generated interest; the Knicks and Hornets discussed a trade involving Lee prior to the trade deadline, per sources. If Lee gets moved for expiring deals, then the Knicks would create enough cap space for Durant, while maintaining the necessary draft picks and salaries (Hardaway Jr. and Thomas) to work a sign-and-trade for a second star free agent.

There are no guarantees that the Knicks will be in a position to make those types of additions. But their decisions this season will start to make sense if viewed through a lens in which they’re aiming for the stars. After all, that’s exactly what the Knicks are doing.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/10/15/17977348/2018-19-nba-season-trends-anthony-davis-deandre-ayton-luka-doncic-kevin-durant
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

10/15/2018  9:12 PM
People are already talking about creating cap space for Durant. Do we never learn?
Feels like we are going to go crazy to get him, miss out badly and then get some second tier max player to save face (sounds vaguely familiar)

Let the starfukking begin....

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
wargames
Member: #6053

10/15/2018  9:23 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/15/2018  9:25 PM
I just hope the knicks go in with a plan B and C. If they miss on Durant.

I mean its not getting mentioned but the Warriors are opening a new stadium in San Francisco next year. If the Warriors win the championship (again), I can't see Durant walking away from a chance to play there and network with all those billionaire tech people while he is at it. Also the chance for a 4 peat something never done before...... and the core to go for their 5 rings.

That is history right there.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

10/15/2018  9:33 PM
wargames wrote:I just hope the knicks go in with a plan B and C. If they miss on Durant.

I mean its not getting mentioned but the Warriors are opening a new stadium in San Francisco next year. If the Warriors win the championship (again), I can't see Durant walking away from a chance to play there and network with all those billionaire tech people while he is at it. Also the chance for a 4 peat something never done before...... and the core to go for their 5 rings.

No, the problem is Plan A sucks, because of the reasons you posted. This is why wr shouldn't be pursuing the next hot fix. There are no shortcuts to championship contention unless you are looking for a one time shot at a second round exit. And another twenty years of rationalizing using shoulda-woulda-coulda scenarios.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
sidsanders
Member: #2426

10/15/2018  9:44 PM
wargames wrote:I just hope the knicks go in with a plan B and C. If they miss on Durant.

60s celtics?

if they end up chasing walker... sigh.

GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!!
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/15/2018  10:23 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:People are already talking about creating cap space for Durant. Do we never learn?
Feels like we are going to go crazy to get him, miss out badly and then get some second tier max player to save face (sounds vaguely familiar)

Let the starfukking begin....

Knick management did not want Noah anywhere near this team. They waited as long as they could hoping an injury might lead to trade interest or that Noah would give money back. When it didn't happen they waived and stretched him. That doesn't mean they are trading Knox and a first round pick to move Lee or Tim. But moving Lee makes sense with the timeline for the team. I think they are keeping their options open. I don't know everything that happened with Noah but I don't think he plays in the nba again.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
10/15/2018  11:04 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:

No, the problem is Plan A sucks, because of the reasons you posted. This is why wr shouldn't be pursuing the next hot fix. There are no shortcuts to championship contention unless you are looking for a one time shot at a second round exit. And another twenty years of rationalizing using shoulda-woulda-coulda scenarios.

Cutting Noah only cost the Knicks 6.4mil over 3 seasons. Also avoids having to cut another player. That's a pretty small price to pay for the Knicks to put themselves in position for a prime time player. If they were really interested in Starphucking then they would have attempted to land Butler.

When Walsh wanted to Starphuch he traded lotto picks to clear cap space. It's also smart since once we have to pay KP that window closes. So they need to put themselves in position to see what they can get before that window closes.

38.7mil in space give the Knicks options and opportunity. With position less bball being the format. Wouldn't mind stealing Jordan Bell from the Warriors.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
wargames
Member: #6053

10/16/2018  1:09 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/16/2018  2:04 AM
Also I got to say this cause people seem to forget. We tried the "Have him sit on the bench for a year" with Marbury and it was a fiasco. Every headline about the team mentioned it, I am sure ESPN had jokes, and you know Stern probably was pissed about it too. Hell its been like a decade since he's gone and the Knicks and Marbury are still a joke when mentioned together. Add to that Noah if provoked can be just as hostile as Marbury from the interviews he's given over the years and yeah it made sense to let him go.

Mills said he's seen it all and this is part of that. Keeping a player when they want to leave is a mistake. They took the same approach to Willy. The knicks shouldn't keep hostages. Look at the Wolves. Jimmy wrecked that locker room and they haven't played a game season.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Kevin O'Connor on Noah, and Free Agency

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy