[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Carmelo in bar fight
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/16/2004  11:04 PM
After this and his conduct in the olympics, I beginning to think Carmelo is a bum. I'd still love to have him on the Knicks, though.
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_3185691,00.html

MELO FIGHT REPORTED

Two Web sites reported Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony got into a fight Monday at New York nightspot Club Babalou.

Insidehoops.com called it a "full-out fight." Allhiphop.com called it a "brawl" with tables "being . . . kicked over" and "chairs being thrown."

Both sites reported Anthony was with MTV host LaLa, and they ran into rapper Suga Ray, former boyfriend of LaLa. Both reported Anthony became involved in a fight after there was an altercation between Suga Ray and LaLa.

"We don't have all the facts, so right now the team has no comment," Nuggets publicist Eric Sebastian said.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 09/16/2004 23:04:48]
AUTOADVERT
Andrew
Member: #1
USA
9/16/2004  11:38 PM
There have been different accounts of the incedent...one with no punches, damage or arrests. Wierd how 2 sources can report 2 different things.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
9/17/2004  8:19 AM
he's a 20 year old kid...when i was 20 years old, getting into altercations w/guys who wanted to start up w/me because i was hanging out w/his ex girlfriend wasn't out of the question...we all need to realize that we can't judge these kids using the standards we set for ourselves at a more advanced stage in life...these kids have to go through these things just like everyone else...this isn't Michael Jordan in his prime we're talking about...Melo still has alot of growing up to do, as we all did at that age.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
TMS
USA
9/17/2004  8:31 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_3188851,00.html

Vandeweghe said the "door is closed" on forward Carmelo Anthony's incident Monday at New York nightclub Club Babalu. "Put anybody in that situation and they would react that way," said Vandeweghe, referring to an Internet report that a fight started after Anthony's date, MTV host LaLa, was spit at by a former boyfriend. "If somebody spit at your mother, you wouldn't hand her a napkin."

if someone were to spit at the woman i was with, i'd get into an altercation too...& i'm alot older than Carmelo is.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/17/2004  8:34 AM
Damn though 20 and a millionare....that's go to be a trip....

If I was 20 and a millionare I probably would be acting up.

My ex-girlfriend was there....she knows the guys that do parties at Babalous and she said it was pretty ugly and they seemed to cover it up pretty good.....since they didn't call the cops. There is a site where they promote Babalous and a few other clubs....they have pics of the party....it was Swiss Beats, from the Ruff Ryders, birthday party.

Maybe since they was both famous (plus the whole place was filled with stars) and Babalou's is a hot spot right now maybe they worked out a deal with the owner not to go public. Some how these things get out.

[Edited by - enyspree on 09/17/2004 08:37:47]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
9/17/2004  8:42 AM
AllHiphop said this:
Sugar Ray and Lala had some words, it was supposed to be a friendly
situation. Somewhere along the line things turned foul and Sugar Ray
spit in Lala's face. Carmelo Anthony, who was at the club without
bodyguards, got hood with it and started swinging. So these two are
fighting, but Sugar Ray was with his Harlem buddies. They jumped in.
Now it's just an all out brawl: tables are being kicked over, chairs
being thrown. Joe Budden said the fight went from inside the club.. to
the outside.

InsideHoops.com said this:
It was an all-out, full-on fight. An
InsideHoops.com source says that at some point, perhaps right after the
fight, Sugar Ray (Suga J?) called friends to come. Someone apparently
tipped Carmelo off about this (or something like that), and suggested
that Melo should avoid further trouble and leave. So, Melo and LaLa
left, in a cab.

I don't know exactly what happened, but I gotta say I have visions of Paul Pierce getting repeatedly stabbed in a club and almost losing it. You're right these guys are young and are gonna be out living and have to learn to handle it but the stakes can get too high in an instant.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/17/2004  8:51 AM
When you were 20 you did not accept the awsome burden of being a professional with the responsabilities that come with it. If you sign a multimillion dollar contract with your employer and endorsements, you accept that your activity is condusive to achieveing the goals of those employers. If you don't like it, go to college and learn more about life, or choose a different career path.

This is a very distinct few whom get in trouble. I think its trouble that finds these guy, and not that they are looking for it. But it happens never the less.

These guys have become the royalty of our society in the way they live.

And saying Melo is a bum, but you'd want him on your team is starpuching uniform bull Crap! Its not the uniform I root for but the men whom play. Its character of the team. I don't want bums or punks on the team and root for them just because they change colors.

Guys like TT have to earn it for me. His Gazy act was crap and dispite loyalty most were not happy with his actions of speaking loud. I respected Spree but did not like his actions of being late and other crap he did. Yeah its easy to side with the bad boy, but he got paid 12 million and thats no enslavement, thats a privilege. when your late or can't make camp, your cheating not just management, but your team. The team did a good job of supporting him and they kept it to themselves. I respect the guys for doing that. And yeah, that was a Don Chaney team by the way. Don did have a good season the season before last almost making the playoffs, but more important the players respected him and played together despite Spreegate.

No need to go into the whole Laydog thing and do I want Don and scott back. My point is you can't win unless everybody is on the same page and believe in each other. While we can't win championships every year, some teams need to be measured by how much they played to their potential and played as a team if I am going to support them during that time.

Back to the subject, Melo has pulled a lot of immature acts so far and needs to grow up. Thats fine, but in general professionals should already be mature. Kobe, Zach, Melo........Its not that they look for trouble, but trouble will look for them!
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/17/2004  8:55 AM
Posted by TMS:

he's a 20 year old kid...when i was 20 years old, getting into altercations w/guys who wanted to start up w/me because i was hanging out w/his ex girlfriend wasn't out of the question...we all need to realize that we can't judge these kids using the standards we set for ourselves at a more advanced stage in life...these kids have to go through these things just like everyone else...this isn't Michael Jordan in his prime we're talking about...Melo still has alot of growing up to do, as we all did at that age.

totally disagree.

While I agree that Melo is still young and has a lot of growing up to do, his job - paid with MILLIONS of dollars a year - is part basketball and part marketing for the Nuggets. The expectation is VERY clear that although he is young, there is a responsibility to the organization that goes far beyond just playing ball. Same with Melo's ties to any sponsors. You are representing a company, an organization, and there are big time responsibilities.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Andrew
Member: #1
USA
9/17/2004  8:57 AM
Here is the other account of the incident.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~90~2404789,00.html
PURE KNICKS LOVE
TMS
USA
9/17/2004  9:16 AM
Posted by Andrew:

No tables were flipped, no chairs tossed, and Carmelo Anthony neither landed nor weathered any punches during a New York nightclub fracas Monday, according to a witness and Anthony's agent.

But these facts are not in dispute: Anthony's MTV-hosting girlfriend, La La Vasquez, was spit on by her ex-fiancé during a private bash Monday for rapper Swizz Beatz, the argument then spilled over to a New York hip-hop radio station - and the Nuggets star's offseason continues to be splashed with more drama than one of Beatz's hit songs.

i don't care WHO you are...if someone were to spit on the woman you were with, you're going to have some words w/the person who spit on her...now whether or not it's smart to get involved in a full out brawl over it, that's another story...that's probably why alot of these guys travel in posse's, so they can have other people handle these types of situations for them (a.k.a. bodyguards)...but please, don't let me hear 1 of you say you would have simply walked away from someone if they spat on your wives, girlfriends or mothers...what the hell does the amount of money Carmelo makes have anything to do w/this? did he shoot somebody? did he stab somebody? no...is there a risk that someone could shoot or stab him if he's out hanging out at clubs, bars, etc.? of course...is he supposed to live the life of a hermit because he's making millions of dollars because certain individuals in this world are morons looking for trouble? don't any of you try to tell me that you would not go to clubs or hang out at nightspots if you were 20 years old & making good money.

[Edited by - TMS on 09/17/2004 09:34:49]
TMS
USA
9/17/2004  9:20 AM
"He said he reacted like any other man would react," Andrews said. "Then the other guy (Sugar Ray) called in, and he did admit spitting in her face, and he apologized for it."

"The DJ asked, 'What about Melo's right hook?' The guy said: 'I don't know what you're talking about. It never came to that."'

depending on which account you guys want to believe, you can draw several different conclusions from this incident...but no matter what happened, i can't blame Carmelo for defending the woman he was with.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/17/2004  9:44 AM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Andrew:

No tables were flipped, no chairs tossed, and Carmelo Anthony neither landed nor weathered any punches during a New York nightclub fracas Monday, according to a witness and Anthony's agent.

But these facts are not in dispute: Anthony's MTV-hosting girlfriend, La La Vasquez, was spit on by her ex-fiancé during a private bash Monday for rapper Swizz Beatz, the argument then spilled over to a New York hip-hop radio station - and the Nuggets star's offseason continues to be splashed with more drama than one of Beatz's hit songs.

i don't care WHO you are...if someone were to spit on the woman you were with, you're going to have some words w/the person who spit on her...now whether or not it's smart to get involved in a full out brawl over it, that's another story...that's probably why alot of these guys travel in posse's, so they can have other people handle these types of situations for them (a.k.a. bodyguards)...but please, don't let me hear 1 of you say you would have simply walked away from someone if they spat on your wives, girlfriends or mothers...what the hell does the amount of money Carmelo makes have anything to do w/this? did he shoot somebody? did he stab somebody? no...is there a risk that someone could shoot or stab him if he's out hanging out at clubs, bars, etc.? of course...is he supposed to live the life of a hermit because he's making millions of dollars because certain individuals in this world are morons looking for trouble? don't any of you try to tell me that you would not go to clubs or hang out at nightspots if you were 20 years old & making good money.

when you are 20 and have as much money as he does, you hire a cook, trainer, personal assistant and designated b!tch-slapper. I think that's what they teach you in NBA rookie camp.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
USA
9/17/2004  9:48 AM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Andrew:

gimme a break w/some of your self serving judgements on Carmelo Anthony...i don't care WHO you are...if someone were to spit on the woman you were with, you're going to have some words w/the person who spit on her...now whether or not it's smart to get involved in a full out brawl over it, that's another story...that's probably why alot of these guys travel in posse's, so they can have other people handle these types of situations for them (a.k.a. bodyguards)...but please, don't let me hear 1 of you say you would have simply walked away from someone if they spat on your wives, girlfriends or mothers...what the hell does the amount of money Carmelo makes have anything to do w/this? did he shoot somebody? did he stab somebody? no...is there a risk that someone could shoot or stab him if he's out hanging out at clubs, bars, etc.? of course...is he supposed to live the life of a hermit because he's making millions of dollars because certain individuals in this world are morons looking for trouble? don't any of you try to tell me that you would not go to clubs or hang out at nightspots if you were 20 years old & making good money.

Good point, but nobody is going to spit on my wife! No need. What is a "LA LA VASQUEZ"? by the way? Sounds like Woody Harrelsons wife from "white men can't jump"! Melo got to get him some sloppy DJ seconds? What did La La do to deserve to be spat upon? My wife was a model and was hit on many a time at clubs back in the day. Nodody did it in my presence, and if I walked away I was secure in my standing with her. I doubt some come on line was going to woo her away. Respect? I have self respect and fighting over whether someone was hitting on my women is too primal. Some women like to flurt and like when their man fights off would be suiters. I had a girlfriend once whom did that and I told her straight out its disrespectful to me to pull that crap. I told her if she needed more attention that way it was bull and we done. Thats a women head game by the way. When I met my wife I knew she was in the buisness of looking good and lots of guys would look at her. She did it to pay for grad school and travel. But I had to deal with whom she was and not get all crazy when coke heads would hit on her at parties. We stopped going to clubs after a while as it gets old.

My point, if melo wants to accept the Royalty treatment in life he can prevent altercations with making sure the people in his life are not worthy of being spat upon. I know this sounds hard, he should be young and have fun and go to mtv parties. But the thing is, he is a target because who he is. I guess its the "be careful what you wish for!" thing. Most problems can be prevented if its important enough.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
9/17/2004  10:04 AM
good post nalod, I agree that as a star you are always the target of some jackass trying to incite trouble, but being a professional athlete like melo who will probably make a couple of hundred million dollars over his career, he needs to handle things a little better.. And that includes watching the comapny you keep and the girls you date, why this chic LALA is even getting into a argument with her old boyfriend at a club is beyond me. This is the typical BS that seems to follow hip hop and I hate that because I am a huge fan, grew up with hip hop, but this is just a sad and cold fact.... Melo has to realize that he has a responsiblity to himself, his family and the nuggets who pay him his hefty salary, being 20 is not an excuse to act like a jackass, he is a professional and needs to act like one... Could you imagine, Jordan, magic, Bird, Jerry west getting in bar fights? this is BS...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
9/17/2004  10:12 AM
Posted by martin:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Andrew:

when you are 20 and have as much money as he does, you hire a cook, trainer, personal assistant and designated b!tch-slapper. I think that's what they teach you in NBA rookie camp.
exactly; you should have body guards who will beat the $hit out of a guy who spits on a woman you're with
TMS
USA
9/17/2004  10:21 AM
Posted by tkf:
Could you imagine, Jordan, magic, Bird, Jerry west getting in bar fights?

at the age of 20 & if someone were to spit on their wives or gf's? i sure could.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
9/17/2004  10:27 AM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by tkf:
Could you imagine, Jordan, magic, Bird, Jerry west getting in bar fights?

at the age of 20 & if someone were to spit on their wives or gf's? i sure could.

I could not imagine anyone wanting to spit on those guys wives, I could not even imagine those guys wives arguing with their former, jackass, struggling, rapper boyfriends either.. And what does the age of 20 have to do with anything?
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
TMS
USA
9/17/2004  10:36 AM
because when you're 20 years old, you're not as experienced in life situations & you're much more likely to react to things out of emotion & impulse rather than thinking things over calmly & rationally as a more mature adult might...

but you're right, age doesn't necessarily mean everything in this...i know plenty of 30+ year olds who would have done alot more than just argue w/someone who spit on their gf's or wives at a club.
Nalod
USA
9/17/2004  11:08 AM
Posted by TMS:

because when you're 20 years old, you're not as experienced in life situations & you're much more likely to react to things out of emotion & impulse rather than thinking things over calmly & rationally as a more mature adult might...

but you're right, age doesn't necessarily mean everything in this...i know plenty of 30+ year olds who would have done alot more than just argue w/someone who spit on their gf's or wives at a club.

Your right, at age 20 they don't know how to handle it. If they want the big life, they need to accept the responsabilit for it. That is not what I am seeing. Rodney White is entittled to do what he wants, but he cant be a dumb ass thug and be professional. Curry in Chicago want to be all hip hop and hang with that crowd, eat badly, but unless he changes it gonna kill his career. Can't be a slob and a pro. Guys like Ewing, Mourning, Deke (georgetown guys) all had Thompson sit on them in college, but they were ready to be men on and off thecourt. Deke builds hospitals! Mourning and Ewing were professional on all fronts. They came to camp in shape and worked their butts off. Sure they had fun, but never trouble! Wonder Why Steph lives in LA? Cuz when you get your 150k necklace yanked at 4am in your 200k bentley, you realize how close you came to getting shot in the face!

DBS: Designated Bitch Slapper! Funny as hell line!
TMS
USA
9/17/2004  11:15 AM
it's a different day & age than it used to be when Jordan, Ewing, Malone & others came up into the leagues...ALOT more money involved, & alot more exposure in the public eye...none of us know what really went on w/some of the older greats when they were at that age, because there wasn't as much media attention being paid to them...i've heard plenty of stories about Ewing & his escapades at strip clubs, etc...& we all know about Wilt Chamberlain & Magic Johnson's sexual romps as well...when you're young & rich, you live a fast life.
Carmelo in bar fight

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy