[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Frank haters can suck it
Author Thread
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

10/6/2018  9:56 AM
Frank had a couple of nice defensive plays, particularly the play where he cut off the baseline drive...but, let's keep it a buck, he still hesitates and looks unsure on offense. It's okay to critique Frank's offensive game and just because someone does, doesn't mean we are hating on him. He is not a 2 way player at this point.
AUTOADVERT
StarksEwing1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4451

10/6/2018  10:06 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/6/2018  10:14 AM
Uptown wrote:Frank had a couple of nice defensive plays, particularly the play where he cut off the baseline drive...but, let's keep it a buck, he still hesitates and looks unsure on offense. It's okay to critique Frank's offensive game and just because someone does, doesn't mean we are hating on him. He is not a 2 way player at this point.
i wouldnt say hesistated. He had an off night scoring wise but still was looking to shoot. Nobody is saying his offense is near his defense yet but i like his progression. Him KP knox mitch are an exciting core to build on
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

10/6/2018  10:48 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/6/2018  12:14 PM
fishmike wrote:Dude is gonna have a break out year. He looks closer to everything we hoped for when he was drafted.

"He's too passive."

Frank is not only going to be huge part of this core, but he fits in fantastically with what we are trying to do. Knox looks like a straight up scorer. A bucket dropper. Hopefully he becomes a great 2-way but at worst he looks like he'll have some great scoring chops. So you have a scorer in Knox around 3 long and hopefully elite defensive guys with KP/Frank/Mitch.

Frank is such a difference maker. As this team gets better and goes into the playoffs Frank will easily be one of the most important guys. He's so good defensively he's a guy your going to put on the other teams's best scorer and I promise you the guy is going to have a tough series.

But yea... why take my word for it

LMAO. Mike still trying to prove something. No true Knick fan is a Frank hater. Some just think he was just not a top 10 pick. I am still rooting for him. Hopefully he will be what everyone is hoping he will be. Still dont see it. Just cant teach a player the things he is missing. No attack mentality. No confidence in his offensive game. Thats all internal things that dont get better with practice. Still long and has a good motor on defense. Sont think,he can be a starter let alone a top 10 pick if he doesn't improve his all,arpumd game. Have not changed my view that we picked a good role player in the lotto. Hope he proves me wrong cuz I am real excited about our true Lotto pick this year. Naturally gifted and has that it. Which only athletes know what I mean.

Oh yeah here you go Mike. Know how much you love DSmith updates specially since you think the first pre season game means so much...

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/6/2018  10:53 AM
I am guessing it is going to be quite a thread title if Frank gets to take a free throw because he forced a defender to keep him from attacking in the paint.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/6/2018  11:13 AM
CrushAlot wrote:I am guessing it is going to be quite a thread title if Frank gets to take a free throw because he forced a defender to keep him from attacking in the paint.

Didnt realize that Frank hasnt got to the line yet. Frank doesnt give the impression that he wants the ball most of the time. Last night the effort was there, but he looked tentative at times.

You could tell he wanted to score, but was having trouble getting into a rhythm. Forcing the issue at times.

When Frank settles down, he might not light up the box score, but he should get better at picking his moments.

Teammates will find him more when they know he's going to do something with the ball.

StarksEwing1

10/6/2018  11:20 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:I am guessing it is going to be quite a thread title if Frank gets to take a free throw because he forced a defender to keep him from attacking in the paint.

Didnt realize that Frank hasnt got to the line yet. Frank doesnt give the impression that he wants the ball most of the time. Last night the effort was there, but he looked tentative at times.

You could tell he wanted to score, but was having trouble getting into a rhythm. Forcing the issue at times.

When Frank settles down, he might not light up the box score, but he should get better at picking his moments.

Teammates will find him more when they know he's going to do something with the ball.

Thats fair. Last night was definetly an off night when it came to picking his spots, you are 100 percent right. But the important thing is like you said the effort and the fact that he is stilllooking to score is a very good sign. He just turned 20 so its not uncommon for it to take time. I mean even guys on our team had their struggles like burke and timmy. I will be patient given his age
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
10/6/2018  4:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/6/2018  4:23 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

Bingo, you nailed it. This was what I couldn't put my finger on, but you said exactly what was my impression. "Frank doesn't give the impression that he wants the ball most of the time." I feel it especially when he's bringing it up the court. Just wants to give it up to the nearest person and be rid of it. Not looking to make a GOOD pass, just any pass.

Maybe he grows out of it, but I'm not sure that's something you grow out of.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/6/2018  6:19 PM
Is that what the coach wants or not?
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
10/6/2018  8:42 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:Frank was drafted as a 6'5 19 yr old with a 7ft wingspan who was still growing. Who posses high character, strong work ethic, dedication to his craft. With exposure to a professional environment as a teen. An assortment of potential skills from shooting to handling. With ready made defensive ability.

The people that seem to be most critical of him tend to have the common trait of pigeon holding him to a position. Yet Frank's best trait will be his flexibility and the multiple options he gives his coach.

I think he has been pigeon holed into a position because he was drafted as the point guard of the future. Fiz seems to be moving away from that label quickly. He can play a little point, not gonna box him in etc. I am fine with him being a swiss army knife type of player and I think that suits him. I think the criticism is from his lack of full time type point guard skills and aggression on offense. Take away the franchise point guard label and he is a nice player. I am glad he isn't getting force fed point guard minutes anymore.

I wouldn't mind him developing as much PG skills as possible at this stage even if it looks sloppy now. Would only help his overall game down the road. Focus should always be about him developing his skill set rather than molding into a set position. He improved his PNR game. I would like Fizz during preseason to give him a good run while featuring him in this light. That could be his little nitch offensively that he can expand offense from.

He also offers unique ability at the PG position that not many teams offer. Due to his ability to switch to bigger players. So developing him enough with PG skills so that when those important stretches in games come. When we can stick Frank at PG to shut down PNR while still effectively running point would increase the Knicks ability to win drastically.

Sticking him on the wing reducing his usage isn't going to improve his offensive game. Even if he is on the wing there still should be some type of plan for him.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/6/2018  9:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/6/2018  10:17 PM
Panos wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Bingo, you nailed it. This was what I couldn't put my finger on, but you said exactly what was my impression. "Frank doesn't give the impression that he wants the ball most of the time." I feel it especially when he's bringing it up the court. Just wants to give it up to the nearest person and be rid of it. Not looking to make a GOOD pass, just any pass.

some of you kept using his age as an excuse for his passive play on the offense, Im glad we now have knox(19 fga and younger than frank) that clearly shows it has nothing at all to do with age.

Every game i keep mentioning his lack of FT attempts, always walking the ball up court, and always giving up the ball the second he passes half court. He is getting close to a 100 games played(including preseason and SL) and as never taken it coast to coast...NEVER EVER EVER, thats crazy, especially for a guard as long an athletic as he is..

He will never change his offensive game because there's no repercussions, his defense will keep him in any rotation, and he makes enough good plays

ES
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
10/6/2018  11:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/6/2018  11:23 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Panos wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

some of you kept using his age as an excuse for his passive play on the offense, Im glad we now have knox(19 fga and younger than frank) that clearly shows it has nothing at all to do with age.

Every game i keep mentioning his lack of FT attempts, always walking the ball up court, and always giving up the ball the second he passes half court. He is getting close to a 100 games played(including preseason and SL) and as never taken it coast to coast...NEVER EVER EVER, thats crazy, especially for a guard as long an athletic as he is..

He will never change his offensive game because there's no repercussions, his defense will keep him in any rotation, and he makes enough good plays

I think you summ it up nicely.
We have very good player to serve a very important role. This is great.
If he will prove you wrong and will get even better this will be a bonus.
If not and he will just get better in what he does good already it will be fantastic as well.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/6/2018  11:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/6/2018  11:52 PM
arkrud wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Panos wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

If not and he will just get better in what he does good already it will be fantastic as well.

He will continue to be a 15 to 20 minute player if these other guards like dotson and tier step up an shine on both ends, you just can't use him when you fall behind double digits. how can you find your rhythm if your taking 1 or 2 shots ever 10 or more possessions, that pretty much explains the 2 for 7, 3 for 8, 1 for 5 shooting nights.

ES
wargames
Member: #6053

10/7/2018  3:53 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/7/2018  3:59 AM
What is Frank turns into a taller/better version of Marcus Smart a combo PG/SG

Smart was drafted at Round: 1 / Pick: 6th and during his 4th year only averaged 10 pts a game, but was an essential part of the Celtics winning team.

Hell Ainge is notoriously cheap (See what he did to IT) and they even paid him like they valued him long term.

toodarkmark wrote:He strikes me as a Nate McMillan type, but don't know if that's how his career goes.

Let's just say the Knicks sign Kemba Walker and THJr is the SG, doesn't Frank make a lot of sense as the defensive backup to both? Does he even make more sense if Kristaps is option 1, a Kemba (or whoever) is 2, Knox is 3, whoever they draft next year may be 4. However you work it, he's shown a lot of poise, smarts, and defense for a 19 year old. That only gets better with maturity and could be an important piece of the future.

Actually if you look pass the salaries involved Hardaway makes the most sense as a 6th man who see's heavy minutes in that scenario.

of the likely FA PG's next year.

Irving/Kemba/Rozier/Payton

all slot best in a backcourt next to an SG who defends to better hide their own weakness there. Also, a secondary ball handler makers all of them better because they like to score and can dish out. We see that with Frank plays next to Trier and Burke.

Only Rubio as an FA PG makes sense next to Hardaway because a backcourt with him needs the extra help with scoring.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
10/7/2018  9:06 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
arkrud wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Panos wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

He will continue to be a 15 to 20 minute player if these other guards like dotson and tier step up an shine on both ends, you just can't use him when you fall behind double digits. how can you find your rhythm if your taking 1 or 2 shots ever 10 or more possessions, that pretty much explains the 2 for 7, 3 for 8, 1 for 5 shooting nights.

When you fall behind you need to lock down on defense and use you scorers to do their thing.
Frank needs to be developed as defensive stopper with average all around guard skills.
At least for now it looks like a best use of his skill set.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
StarksEwing1

10/7/2018  10:43 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
Nalod wrote:Is that what the coach wants or not?

Frank N still plays very much a Euro style of basketball.

One of the reason Tatum broke out so soon and guys like Steph Curry and Klay Thompson acclimated so quickly is they were immersed in the NBA culture very young. They were training and playing with top shelf talent from the start. They had access most did not. Also just playing in tournaments and in college and such, they were were exposed to a lot of other American players. They've been developing a "book" on other players for a while now.

Frank N is not in that same situation.

He needs a league average three point shot and he'll be fine. Maybe he won't be an All Star, but a solid 3 and D wing with elite defense is a nice floor.

The hard on some people have for this guy is amazing. When he's in his third year, then you can say, he truly is locked into being this kind of player. Yet the same people will push Trey Burke, so much older, as some kind of developmental prospect.

I still know a good number of people in sports medicine. They all said the same thing when Adrian Peterson got back from his ACL surgery. He came back in record time. His recovery was remarkable. And they pointed out that his recovery would be held as the future standard for all other players, which is totally unfair.

A lot of people seem jilted Frank N is not Donovan Mitchell. Or some other rookie chucker.

Part of it is a uniquely American/Western thing. That it's a virtue to be a ****ing *******. Trier is a ****ing chucker, but hey, that's just the way he rolls, he's getting his shot, **** his team mates, but he's getting his, right? A guy is actually playing fundamental basketball and it's a crime.

Thats true. I think also many people dont value defense nearly as much as offense in this present day which is unfortunate because you need that to win
Lets be honest the past 15 years we have had a lot of purely offensive players and our record speaks for itself sadly. When it comes to Frank nobody is saying he is gonna be a big scorer and he really doesnt need to be because his other attributes make us better on the court. However so far he has shown more willingness to score. Even last game where he had a quiet offensive game but I still havent seen him pass up shots which is a good sign. He is still a kid so just need some patience
Juliano
Member: #7589

10/7/2018  10:45 AM
Interesting read on the subject, conclusion sums up my thougts

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2018/10/6/17925286/knicks-2018-19-preview-frank-ntilikina

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

10/7/2018  10:49 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

One of the reason Tatum broke out so soon and guys like Steph Curry and Klay Thompson acclimated so quickly is they were immersed in the NBA culture very young. They were training and playing with top shelf talent from the start. They had access most did not. Also just playing in tournaments and in college and such, they were were exposed to a lot of other American players. They've been developing a "book" on other players for a while now.

He needs a league average three point shot and he'll be fine. Maybe he won't be an All Star, but a solid 3 and D wing with elite defense is a nice floor.

The hard on some people have for this guy is amazing. When he's in his third year, then you can say, he truly is locked into being this kind of player. Yet the same people will push Trey Burke, so much older, as some kind of developmental prospect.

I still know a good number of people in sports medicine. They all said the same thing when Adrian Peterson got back from his ACL surgery. He came back in record time. His recovery was remarkable. And they pointed out that his recovery would be held as the future standard for all other players, which is totally unfair.

A lot of people seem jilted Frank N is not Donovan Mitchell. Or some other rookie chucker.

Part of it is a uniquely American/Western thing. That it's a virtue to be a ****ing *******. Trier is a ****ing chucker, but hey, that's just the way he rolls, he's getting his shot, **** his team mates, but he's getting his, right? A guy is actually playing fundamental basketball and it's a crime.

The NBA does everything possible to promote chucking. Including the All-Srar game. Reading these boards you already know the level of obsession that exists with "all star" players. Most people would rather settle for glittery players that all do the same thing. It's a culture thing being exploited to the hilt by the NBA. A mutual love fest that's being perpetuated in eternity.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/7/2018  11:10 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

The NBA does everything possible to promote chucking. Including the All-Srar game. Reading these boards you already know the level of obsession that exists with "all star" players. Most people would rather settle for glittery players that all do the same thing. It's a culture thing being exploited to the hilt by the NBA. A mutual love fest that's being perpetuated in eternity.

Wow. I have to disagree that there is an obsession with 'all star' players on this board. I think everyone is locked in on a rebuild and enjoying the process. Check out the Kyrie is staying in Boston thread. Chasing stars, giving up tons of cap space, trading draft picks etc. has been the approach for the Knicks for decades and they have sucked horribly. I do think this offseason they will spend the cap space that they have because KP's max deal will impact future cap space. I am interested to see what approach they take. Perry/Mills have done everything right so far. I am hoping they target up and coming guys like Oubre, RHJ etc. and don't chase guys like Butler and Kyrie. I don't think you are making this point, but I wouldn't confuse fans being frustrated with Frank's lack of aggression on offense with wanting to chase all stars with cap space, draft picks and young players.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/7/2018  1:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/7/2018  1:36 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Panos wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

That highlighted statement is highly ignorant when applied to a 20 year old.
Also just because Knox is doing one thing does not relate to Frank as the bench mark. Two very different players.
Don't confuse Knicks1248 (Why do I even bother) our enthusiasm for Frank as not recognizing what he needs to improve on. We just don't think that "Never" or just because one player is doing something he should be also. You going on record that Knox should be playing better defense like Frank? THat would be stupid, but so is comparing their offense games.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

10/7/2018  3:00 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Wow. I have to disagree that there is an obsession with 'all star' players on this board. I think everyone is locked in on a rebuild and enjoying the process. Check out the Kyrie is staying in Boston thread. Chasing stars, giving up tons of cap space, trading draft picks etc. has been the approach for the Knicks for decades and they have sucked horribly. I do think this offseason they will spend the cap space that they have because KP's max deal will impact future cap space. I am interested to see what approach they take. Perry/Mills have done everything right so far. I am hoping they target up and coming guys like Oubre, RHJ etc. and don't chase guys like Butler and Kyrie. I don't think you are making this point, but I wouldn't confuse fans being frustrated with Frank's lack of aggression on offense with wanting to chase all stars with cap space, draft picks and young players.

The discussion is about how NBA fans value chucking over solid fundamental basketball. The obsession with all stars is real. People are only on board with the rebuild to see how many all stars they can get out of it. They are not more committed to good two way basketball players because of the youth movement. I read how many people post here each day about how any given player has the potential to be an all star (NBA certified chucker). It's like a disease. To me that is validation of how the NBA has made chucking into the de facto standard. Triple said it well..

Trier is a ****ing chucker, but hey, that's just the way he rolls, he's getting his shot, **** his team mates, but he's getting his, right? A guy is actually playing fundamental basketball and it's a crime.
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Frank haters can suck it

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy