[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Yet more proof Berman should not be covering the Knicks!
Author Thread
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

9/25/2018  10:25 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/25/2018  10:44 AM
Not that there is any more proof needed that Berman should be covering donut competitions and not the Knicks. After covering media day, this was his biggest takeaway?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/09/24/kristaps-porzingis-needs-to-play-for-knicks-this-season/amp/

We have to look at this as it is what it is and not make matters worse. How he misses that this is a great opportunity for our young talent to gain valuable experience in larger roles. The idea that KP needs to play in order to attract frer agents in 2019 is also a joke. Free agents recognize the rebuilding position Knicks are in. And how good KP is. What wpuld definitely hurt 2019 free agency is if KP came back early for a garbage season and got hurt once again. Dont Think Knicks want to add to past Knick stupidity. I for one think there many interesting story lines to watch for this year. Frankys hopeful improvement. Timmys stepping up to the next level. Mudiays higher level of play having more familiarity. Trey Burke building on solid year. Direction Knicks will take with Lee and Kanter. Super Mario's break out potential. The Fizdale dynasty/culture begins. Oh yeah and Kevin F...n Knox. Think he is going to be a superstar.
Yeah....lets just get KP healthy and make him part of the 2019 story line. Looking forward to an exciting 2018 season!!

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Member: #582
9/25/2018  11:20 AM
I kind of agree with him.

whats worse is that if he doesn't suit up at all this season, and the knicks resign him to a max contract without a chance of seeing how the knee will hold up, or his health in general.

That would be a Page right out of THE ALLEN HOUSTON book, giving him a max contract after a severe injury with no idea of his health long term. We are talking about a Guy who's 7 3" and is pretty close to being considered injury prone.

so you definitely would like to see what your investing in

ES
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

9/25/2018  11:26 AM
Berman job is simply to stir the pot -- he looks for any angle to agitate and I strongly believe that is what his paper/company asks him to do.
HofstraBBall

9/25/2018  11:36 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/25/2018  11:39 AM
knicks1248 wrote:I kind of agree with him.

whats worse is that if he doesn't suit up at all this season, and the knicks resign him to a max contract without a chance of seeing how the knee will hold up, or his health in general.

That would be a Page right out of THE ALLEN HOUSTON book, giving him a max contract after a severe injury with no idea of his health long term. We are talking about a Guy who's 7 3" and is pretty close to being considered injury prone.

So how many games will it take for him to proof he is due a max? Should the Knicks rush him back just to get those many games in? Is bringing someone back early from injury a true test of that players long term worth? Think letting him do a proper recovery and not rushing him back is a must as the first step to making that decision. Without that you cant get to the next step of truly deciding if he is worth a long term max contract.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/25/2018  11:44 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/25/2018  11:46 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:Not that there is any more proof needed that Berman should be covering donut competitions and not the Knicks. After covering media day, this was his biggest takeaway?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/09/24/kristaps-porzingis-needs-to-play-for-knicks-this-season/amp/

We have to look at this as it is what it is and not make matters worse. How he misses that this is a great opportunity for our young talent to gain valuable experience in larger roles. The idea that KP needs to play in order to attract frer agents in 2019 is also a joke. Free agents recognize the rebuilding position Knicks are in. And how good KP is. What wpuld definitely hurt 2019 free agency is if KP came back early for a garbage season and got hurt once again. Dont Think Knicks want to add to past Knick stupidity. I for one think there many interesting story lines to watch for this year. Frankys hopeful improvement. Timmys stepping up to the next level. Mudiays higher level of play having more familiarity. Trey Burke building on solid year. Direction Knicks will take with Lee and Kanter. Super Mario's break out potential. The Fizdale dynasty/culture begins. Oh yeah and Kevin F...n Knox. Think he is going to be a superstar.
Yeah....lets just get KP healthy and make him part of the 2019 story line. Looking forward to an exciting 2018 season!!

Maybe not. There was a quote from a Knicks rep saying that this was uncharted ground as far as a 7'3 player recovering from a torn ACL. Not to mention one who takes defenders off the dribble.

I am optimistic that KP will make a full recovery, sounds like the right decisions were made on both sides of the ocean.

A big time FA however, might want to hold off until he sees how KP looks first. Knowing that he was called a "unicorn" for a reason.

I wouldnt give KP coming back in 2019 the same urgency that Berman does, as far as the Knicks future. He has a point that a healthy and productive KP is the best sales pitch.

IDK, Berman is better than he was in the Marbury/Isiah days, less tabloid stuff. Some of it has to be expected, its NY, lol.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
9/25/2018  12:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/25/2018  12:08 PM

Houston was a borderline All Star. He was never worth, what was it 120 over 7 yrs? Even if he was 100% healthy. Not a knock on him but Dolan and Layden had no clue how to value players at that time.

KP should be brought back when he is 110% healthy no earlier. Not because he needs to attract FAs. If that means he comes back last month of the season so be it. If it means he misses the season so be it. If it means he comes back in Jan so be it. But his level of health should be the only thing that dictates when he returns. So no he doesn't need to come back this season if he isn't 110%.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
knicks1248
Member: #582
9/25/2018  1:26 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:

Houston was a borderline All Star. He was never worth, what was it 120 over 7 yrs? Even if he was 100% healthy. Not a knock on him but Dolan and Layden had no clue how to value players at that time.

KP should be brought back when he is 110% healthy no earlier. Not because he needs to attract FAs. If that means he comes back last month of the season so be it. If it means he misses the season so be it. If it means he comes back in Jan so be it. But his level of health should be the only thing that dictates when he returns. So no he doesn't need to come back this season if he isn't 110%.

But there's no way in hell the knicks allow him to play if he's not 100%

“I’m not going to be the one to decide,’’ Porzingis said. “There’s going to be testing and some proof that I’m ready, my leg is strong as before or even stronger. There’s going to be proof behind that fact.”

“Take that for data,” as new Knicks coach David Fizdale famously once uttered.

So it doesn't matter what berman says, or the fans that say rest him until next season, that would imply sitting him even though he's a 100% healthy, what exactly do you gain by doing that. He could step on the court 100% healthy and have some other injury happen.

The bottom line is play when your ready. I would be more concerned if he's not ready after the standard 10 to 12 month rehab..

ES
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
9/25/2018  2:06 PM
KP coming back and proving he is healthy this season is the only way any free agent will choose to play for the Knicks. If he doesn't what does the team actually have.

The answer is virtually nothing.

Obviously you don't want to rush him back only to get injured again, but if you're a free agent you're not coming to play with Knox, Robinson and Hardaway unless one of them is an All-Star. The whole roster is a question mark right now.

NYC is not a free agent destination, it never has been, so there really needs to be a compelling reason for a player to subject themselves to the constant pressure and media attention.

newyorknewyork
9/25/2018  3:03 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

But there's no way in hell the knicks allow him to play if he's not 100%

“I’m not going to be the one to decide,’’ Porzingis said. “There’s going to be testing and some proof that I’m ready, my leg is strong as before or even stronger. There’s going to be proof behind that fact.”

“Take that for data,” as new Knicks coach David Fizdale famously once uttered.

So it doesn't matter what berman says, or the fans that say rest him until next season, that would imply sitting him even though he's a 100% healthy, what exactly do you gain by doing that. He could step on the court 100% healthy and have some other injury happen.

The bottom line is play when your ready. I would be more concerned if he's not ready after the standard 10 to 12 month rehab..

Yeah I can agree with that. If he is 100% healthy then there is no problem with letting him get back on the court. Simply just restrict his mins. Let him get his conditioning up.

Mitchell, Kornet, Knox, Vonleh (whoever earns it) can get extra burn while KP hovers around 24-27 mins or so.(Random #)

I think the only issue would be the pace and intensity of rehab in order to get him to 100%. They are most likely gonna take their time with each project progressive step.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/25/2018  3:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/26/2018  9:14 AM
So instead of finishing the season in a suit, KP's going to start the season in a suit. New look, same results. Either way, there's no need for any free agent to look here, and our FO is apparently not interested in Butler/Kyrie-starphuquing our way out of a lottery pick this season, and KP coming in halway through the season dragging us into the playoffs isn't likely to happen with an all new cast of yoots.

Durant's not coming here, LA-LeQ is retiring in Hollywood, Curry or Klay aren't coming here, the likely pool of MSG MoobySaviours (Hey Nalod!) has dwindled to almost nothing. Khris Middleton? Julius Randle? Kwahi?

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
9/25/2018  3:45 PM
Is KP a franchise player? There will need to be some deep religion from the front office next summer, because KP has yet to play a full season.

Will he become Durant 2.0 or Ralph Sampson 2.0?

Honestly, the owners and the players need to amend the CBA - it is so imbalanced - where KP could turn into a dud with $165m in his bank, and Burke is bouncing around and might in a few years be more productive than KP, yet nowhere near as wealthy.

newyorknewyork
9/25/2018  3:58 PM
jrodmc wrote:So instead of finishing the season in a suit, KP's going to start the season in a suit. New look, same results. Either way, there's no need for any free agent to look here, and our FO is apparently not interested in Butler/Kyrie-starphuquing our way out of lottery pick this season, and KP coming in halway through the season dragging us into the playoffs isn't likely to happen with an all new cast of yoots.

Durant's not coming here, LA-LeQ is retiring in Hollywood, Curry or Klay aren't coming here, the likely pool of MSG MoobySaviours (Hey Nalod!) has dwindled to almost nothing. Khris Middleton? Julius Randle? Kwahi?

While he may or may not be a superstar. We should keep a close eye on Rozier this season. If Kyrie stays then they can't keep him. Him and Frank would be strong defensively. And he seems to have developed a stronger offensive game as shown in the playoffs. Will have a season to show it wasn't a fluke. At the same time Kyrie may slight lower his price tag.

newyorknewyork
9/25/2018  4:07 PM
franco12 wrote:Is KP a franchise player? There will need to be some deep religion from the front office next summer, because KP has yet to play a full season.

Will he become Durant 2.0 or Ralph Sampson 2.0?

Honestly, the owners and the players need to amend the CBA - it is so imbalanced - where KP could turn into a dud with $165m in his bank, and Burke is bouncing around and might in a few years be more productive than KP, yet nowhere near as wealthy.

You have to gamble on KP. There is no way around it. Keep our draft picks as security blankets. Both Steph Curry and Anthony Davis have missed significant time early in their careers. Philly signed Embild while missing 2 seasons and only playing 33 games for his career.

The road is never easy.

HofstraBBall

9/25/2018  6:25 PM
MS wrote:KP coming back and proving he is healthy this season is the only way any free agent will choose to play for the Knicks. If he doesn't what does the team actually have.

The answer is virtually nothing.

Obviously you don't want to rush him back only to get injured again, but if you're a free agent you're not coming to play with Knox, Robinson and Hardaway unless one of them is an All-Star. The whole roster is a question mark right now.

NYC is not a free agent destination, it never has been, so there really needs to be a compelling reason for a player to subject themselves to the constant pressure and media attention.

Think most FA already know what the Knicks are. A rebuilding team with young question marks. KP playing in a few games does not change that. My point is why risk getting him hurt once again if it is not changing perception in a major way. Now if it meant KP coming back for a full season and taking the Knicks to the playoffs, then of course that would affect perception. I may be in the minority, but I think Irving is the first real shot at having a major FA come here. But we will find out. Still excited about Knox in 2018 and having a healthy KP in 2019

Yet more proof Berman should not be covering the Knicks!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy