[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Jimmy Butler requests trade
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
9/19/2018  4:40 PM
He wants a super max so no thanks (5yrs $200mil)- these super max contracts for players turning 30 are going to be franchise sinkers. We’d be on the hook for 40 mil when butler is 35. No, no, no!
AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
9/19/2018  4:43 PM
Fortunately there’s no way we will trade for him- after the press conference thing a few days ago, there’s no way Mills and co could save face
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

9/19/2018  4:46 PM
smackeddog wrote:Fortunately there’s no way we will trade for him- after the press conference thing a few days ago, there’s no way Mills and co could save face
Agreed. Im glad we are finally doing the smart thing. Instead of throwing away young assets/picks we are continuing the youth movement and will assess the free agency situation this summer
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
9/19/2018  5:06 PM
The press conference was done just in time to protect Knicks front office from themselves and Dolan.
They knew that the temptations will come sooner or later for some big name becoming available.
The time to collect the stones is not there yet for the Knicks.
Many new and better opportunities will come when time will be right to strike.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/19/2018  5:33 PM
You get a player pushing 30 like Butler when you are one very good player away from getting to the finals. If the Knicks were a good veteran team with one more run in the tank, sure.

We've got a very young team. A team that doesnt need older vets with max contracts, or vets who have too many miles on their knees. Not until a player is needed to put the team over the top.

Enough talent on the roster as it is who need seasoning. Would rather bring in good vets as they're needed. We dont need any more right now.

Butler seems to have drama follow him as well. Last thing low key guys like Perry/Mills need.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/19/2018  6:00 PM
Nalod wrote:Triple brings up the point about bird rights. Wait, and you have a choice of Kyrie or Butler. Trade, you can have both.
Im not advocating for this guy because I don't know why wanted out of Chicago and now Minny. Whats his deal? Whats Townes problem?
Not sure I get why these two can't figure it out. Thibs is a bloated dick. Sure he is "NY" and a workaholic but he does not fit anymore.
As for him, max money and at age 29? not really feeling it. I don't know what he wants price wise so how can I say?
Im protective of our youthful core of Knox, Frank, MitRob and KP. Beyond those guys and any other pick Im ok to trade. Personally I value Hardaway more than most of you and think he can be near Butler like in production.
Building a core around Kyrie and Butler? Not feeling it.

I think Chicago wanted to rebuild and it didn't make sense to keep Jimmy. There were rumors that he beefed with Noah and Rose. But let's be honest, they probably deserved it. If we do a trade, I hope we pull a page from Riley handbook and let the players do the colluding. It could be the start of "super" team.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Sangfroid
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #2784

9/19/2018  8:12 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Fortunately there’s no way we will trade for him- after the press conference thing a few days ago, there’s no way Mills and co could save face
Agreed. Im glad we are finally doing the smart thing. Instead of throwing away young assets/picks we are continuing the youth movement and will assess the free agency situation this summer

That leaves Noah and Lee as trade bait. We'll even send dollars if that's what it takes to even it out.

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
9/19/2018  8:21 PM
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

9/19/2018  8:23 PM
Good player, too old and bad fit on a young team. Pass. Let some other idiot team pay him his 5/200 super max and watch him decline starting in two years.
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
9/19/2018  8:46 PM

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

9/19/2018  9:56 PM

Just a rough shot here, but Kanter plus an unprotected first might get it done. Filler maybe on both ends otherwise, but the core of it might get it done. It's a lottery shot.

If that's the trade, you do it.

I quite like Butler. Yes, he's had problems on multiple stops, but to be fair, he seems to get along with dudes who want to win and will die for it.

Welpee
Member: #6239

9/19/2018  11:02 PM
djsunyc wrote:
Good, let the Clippers have him.
smackeddog
9/20/2018  3:18 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/20/2018  3:23 AM
djsunyc wrote:

Butler for Tobias Harris and Lou Williams might make sense/ be the best the Twolves can do. problem is Harris will be a FA and if he says he won't re-sign Twolves would be screwed.

The Clips can then sign Kawhi Leonard in the offseason. That would make for a nice lineup of SGA at pg, Butler at sg and KL at sf. Not sure what they'd do about their front court though.

Alternatively Gallo and Lou Williams and picks for Butler and Dieng helps the Twolves shed some salary, and gets the Clips a C/PF which they will need after next offseason.

smackeddog
9/20/2018  3:29 AM
Best we could do would be Tim Jr ($17mil), Noah ($18mil) and Lee ($12mil) for Butler ($20mil), Dieng ($15mil but an extra year to Noah) and Taj Gibson ($14mil). Should still then allow NY to clear a mx space to sign Irving in the offseason.

I think the Clips can offer a better deal, and I'm glad as I don't want Butler at 5 years $200mil.

wargames
Member: #6053

9/20/2018  4:13 AM
Stuff like this really makes me think the Knicks need to focus on the second tier RFA. Build a culture and steal a young up and comer like Kelly Oubre, Brogdon, RHJ, or Julius Randle....

hell at nearly 30+ million they might be able to get both.

I think The older stars are either going to stay where they are (Klay, Kyrie, or KD) or end up on one of LA's team playing with Lebron or Butler.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

9/20/2018  9:34 AM
wargames wrote:Stuff like this really makes me think the Knicks need to focus on the second tier RFA. Build a culture and steal a young up and comer like Kelly Oubre, Brogdon, RHJ, or Julius Randle....

hell at nearly 30+ million they might be able to get both.

I think The older stars are either going to stay where they are (Klay, Kyrie, or KD) or end up on one of LA's team playing with Lebron or Butler.

I think that's the type of strategy I'd be most comfortable with. The Knicks just need to keep accumulating talent. They aren't good enough to sign one guy and go to the championship. Signing Oubre to a Pistons-to-Knicks Allan Houston contract might be the thing to do here. I don't see how the Wiz match with Wall, Beal, and Porter Jr getting paid what they're getting paid

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/20/2018  10:12 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/jimmy-butler-avoiding-lebron-james-looking-team-kawhi-leonard-clippers-043615325.html

They're saying that Buttler wants to go to the Clips, doesnt want to play with LeBron. If this article is accurate, I want Butler in NY even less.

You have a chance (at close to 30) to contend with LeBron, and you want to pass it up for Kawhi and the Clippers?

Its what concerns me about Butler and Irving. Having their own team seems more important at this stage in their career than contending.

MS
Member: #724
9/20/2018  10:55 AM
I am ok with giving up a first round pick for Butler if we can move Lee and Lance Thomas in the deal.

You always have the ability to flip Butler at the deadline too and get that pick back.

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
9/20/2018  11:00 AM
GustavBahler wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/jimmy-butler-avoiding-lebron-james-looking-team-kawhi-leonard-clippers-043615325.html

They're saying that Buttler wants to go to the Clips, doesnt want to play with LeBron. If this article is accurate, I want Butler in NY even less.

You have a chance (at close to 30) to contend with LeBron, and you want to pass it up for Kawhi and the Clippers?

Its what concerns me about Butler and Irving. Having their own team seems more important at this stage in their career than contending.

I mean that concerns me too although if Butler did it because he wants the challenge of beating LeBron and/or the Warriors, than I respect him. I would think he has just as good a chance with Towns though.... unless they hate each other so much they can’t be around each other.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
knicks1248
Member: #582
9/20/2018  11:10 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/jimmy-butler-avoiding-lebron-james-looking-team-kawhi-leonard-clippers-043615325.html

I mean that concerns me too although if Butler did it because he wants the challenge of beating LeBron and/or the Warriors, than I respect him. I would think he has just as good a chance with Towns though.... unless they hate each other so much they can’t be around each other.

The concerns with TOWNS is his work ethic and defense. During their quick playoff run Wiggins and Towns were joke on defense, in fact they were like that the entire season. Did you see the numbers when butler wasn't on the floor, almost night and day in every statistical category..

ES
OT: Jimmy Butler requests trade

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy