Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
9/16/2018  12:12 PM
https://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/steve-mills-1.21016907

Some good quotes:

“I’ve been around, I’ve seen a lot here at the Garden, and what I try to do is learn from what I’ve seen and what I’ve experienced. I know those short-term quick fixes, you’re planning one way and then all of a sudden you’re making a shift. It’s one thing if you’re right on the cusp of competing for a championship, but when you’re where we are to all of a sudden pivot and go in a different direction, I’ve just seen it go wrong too many times. I’m not going to be part of doing it that way.”

I do feel like it’s going to work because I think we have patience, which is not something that normally is connected with how the Knicks operate,” Mills said. “We laid out a plan that requires patience and Jim agreed to buy into it. That’s what I think makes it different.

“I believe the fans will accept a team that has a plan and you stick with it and if you deliver players, you do have some hope. [Porzingis] is an elite player in the NBA. He has an injury, but he’s a very special player. We added some players in the draft. Hopefully this year will be a big move for Frank. He’s a lot more confident. We think we have something we can see is different as long as we have the patience to stick to it.”

“The first thing we had to do was convince players this is a good place to play and that we have a plan, what their role is in the plan, and to make them feel comfortable that we’re doing something the right way, that we’re going in a positive direction and make them feel like part of something important and they’re going to be part of something big. And that was our goal throughout the season, to make these guys believers in us and believers in the Knicks.

“And at the same time convince the players outside of the Knicks that something’s different here and this team is going in the right direction and this is a good place to be.”

By Steve Popper

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/16/2018  2:01 PM
Should put an end to the thinking that Steve Mills is the problem, but in fact part of the solution.
Just because he was around for the ignorance does not mean it could not change.
Actions speak louder than words. Mills is preaching the long view. If "Jim" is part of it too then the decision process was changed.
Does that mean it works? Nothing is guaranteed but we know the starphuching did not work.
The make up of this team is very different than anything we had since Eddie Donovan was the GM in his first time as a knick.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/16/2018  2:02 PM
Been saying mostly nice things about the job Perry/Mills have been doing, almost all good.

Still, I wish Mills would finally STFU with this "I was just an innocent buystander" BS.

Plenty of bad decisions made by Mills with the Knicks, which I wont go into again.

Enough to say that this continuing attempt to completely obscure his role in 20 plus years of futility is pathetic and nauseating.

Nalod
USA
9/16/2018  2:48 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Been saying mostly nice things about the job Perry/Mills have been doing, almost all good.

Still, I wish Mills would finally STFU with this "I was just an innocent buystander" BS.

Plenty of bad decisions made by Mills with the Knicks, which I wont go into again.

Enough to say that this continuing attempt to completely obscure his role in 20 plus years of futility is pathetic and nauseating.

You can't pin the past on Mills. His first tenure was overseeing MSG, not the knicks.
His knick presidency after Grunwald was just a few months and was put on hold when phil was negotiating.
What you know was Phil was firmly in charge.
Many execs don't agree with their superiors but have to own it publicly.
Even if im all wrong, this is the first window we had our picks. Knicks tanked when KP went down. Can't ask for a better plan. Post KP knicks were 2nd worst team in the league. Thats real.
Knox is a high ceiling pick. Good choice. Robinson great pick. All high ceiling. Love picking up Fiz. Nobody is expecting instant results.
None of the same bullshyt hype. This is still a rebuilding. If Isiah was in charge of this i'd be applauding it.

GustavBahler

9/16/2018  3:17 PM
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Been saying mostly nice things about the job Perry/Mills have been doing, almost all good.

You can't pin the past on Mills. His first tenure was overseeing MSG, not the knicks.
His knick presidency after Grunwald was just a few months and was put on hold when phil was negotiating.
Even if im all wrong, this is the first window we had our picks. Knicks tanked when KP went down. Can't ask for a better plan. Post KP knicks were 2nd worst team in the league. Thats real.
Knox is a high ceiling pick. Good choice. Robinson great pick. All high ceiling. Love picking up Fiz. Nobody is expecting instant results.
None of the same bullshyt hype. This is still a rebuilding. If Isiah was in charge of this i'd be applauding it.

I am not suggesting that Steve Mills is the author of all our pain, so to speak. Dolan bears most of the blame. Mills made enough bad decisions on his own, when empowered by Dolan to do so. Made a costly mistake in the Shumpert trade that was General Manager 101 stuff.

After all these years with the organization to keep saying that all the bad decisions in the past decades were entirely someone else's fault is offensive to me as a long time Knicks fan.

Im surprised Dolan hasnt called Mills up and asked him whats with all the buck passing?

Mills is putting 100 percent on Dolan, and every other past Knicks exec. Not sure why this sits well with Dolan.

Nalod
USA
9/16/2018  3:40 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:

I am not suggesting that Steve Mills is the author of all our pain, so to speak. Dolan bears most of the blame. Mills made enough bad decisions on his own, when empowered by Dolan to do so. Made a costly mistake in the Shumpert trade that was General Manager 101 stuff.

After all these years with the organization to keep saying that all the bad decisions in the past decades were entirely someone else's fault is offensive to me as a long time Knicks fan.

Im surprised Dolan hasnt called Mills up and asked him whats with all the buck passing?

Mills is putting 100 percent on Dolan, and every other past Knicks exec. Not sure why this sits well with Dolan.

Maybe because its true?
Maybe Mills was in Dolan's ear for sometime advocating for this? You seem to confuse Mills role in the Isiah Era.
Why are you offended by this?

GustavBahler

9/16/2018  3:59 PM
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Maybe because its true?
Maybe Mills was in Dolan's ear for sometime advocating for this? You seem to confuse Mills role in the Isiah Era.

Not going to catalog the mistakes Mills made as an exec, before and after the lawsuit. The one where he was found guilty of enabling bad behavior, like Isiah. Found a way back to MSG, like Isiah.

Ill just say that Steve Mills has absolutely no business talking about the past failures of the NY Knicks without using "we". None whatsoever.

Cant believe anyone would even try to suggest that Steve Mills didnt make a single mistake as an exec worth owning up to. Cultish.

Nalod
USA
9/16/2018  5:42 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Maybe because its true?

Not going to catalog the mistakes Mills made as an exec, before and after the lawsuit. The one where he was found guilty of enabling bad behavior, like Isiah. Found a way back to MSG, like Isiah.

Ill just say that Steve Mills has absolutely no business talking about the past failures of the NY Knicks without using "we". None whatsoever.

Cant believe anyone would even try to suggest that Steve Mills didnt make a single mistake as an exec worth owning up to. Cultish.

Never said he was not without fault. I do know enough that in Corp. America you sometimes have to own decisions made by your boss and implement. You might voice that think its a good idea. As for Isiah, do you know at all Mills did not suggest to Dolan to not extend him, or even contest Anucha in court. Just pay her and be done with it? Of course not. Neither do I. But I do no the one constant thru the years of bad decisions was not the legions of coach's, GM's or presidents, it was Dolan.
In his tenure The Mills Era starts with the exit of Phil. Simple really. This is his era good, bad or indifferent. This is his coach, Knox is his pick. Frank was on Phil and Gaines. "Frankly", im fine with Ntilinka and his upside. Jeff was given a solid chance.
Going forward Frank is on Mills because he has not traded him (yet?)after a full season.
No cult, just logic. If you have solid facts please include them. I can't verify exactly all of Mills input or not, but in the absence of that it falls on the man in charge. Isiah was team president. Phil was team president. Mills was the GM under him but we all know who drove the decisions. Mills got the gig he signed up for when Dolan recruited him back. He has his GM and coach now.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
9/16/2018  8:55 PM
Not sure why "who is responsible" for old mistakes is even important.
Past is gone. There is only today and tomorrow will let us know for sure who is doing the right things today.
No point to worry about it also.
Every day presents new opportunities to screw things over and so far Mills and Co stay clear from bad decisions.
This interview is another reason to be optimistic. No more, no less.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
GustavBahler

9/16/2018  9:58 PM
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Maybe because its true?

Never said he was not without fault. I do know enough that in Corp. America you sometimes have to own decisions made by your boss and implement. You might voice that think its a good idea. As for Isiah, do you know at all Mills did not suggest to Dolan to not extend him, or even contest Anucha in court. Just pay her and be done with it? Of course not. Neither do I. But I do no the one constant thru the years of bad decisions was not the legions of coach's, GM's or presidents, it was Dolan.
In his tenure The Mills Era starts with the exit of Phil. Simple really. This is his era good, bad or indifferent. This is his coach, Knox is his pick. Frank was on Phil and Gaines. "Frankly", im fine with Ntilinka and his upside. Jeff was given a solid chance.
Going forward Frank is on Mills because he has not traded him (yet?)after a full season.
No cult, just logic. If you have solid facts please include them. I can't verify exactly all of Mills input or not, but in the absence of that it falls on the man in charge. Isiah was team president. Phil was team president. Mills was the GM under him but we all know who drove the decisions. Mills got the gig he signed up for when Dolan recruited him back. He has his GM and coach now.

Isiah was "his guy". Will take Magic's word over Isiah about how he got hired. You might not be saying that Mills didnt make any mistakes. Thats what Mills is saying when he discusses the past as a witness, and not a participant. In for a penny, in for a pound in this situation IMO. Too many years with the franchise.

Im all for not bringing up the past, the present looks a lot better. At the same time, I dont like hearing someone who has been with this organization for many years, acting like he wasnt part of the problem at times. Dont need to be an insider to see that.

Otherwise Mills should avoid answering questions about the past, and say he wants to focus on the future. Better that than trying to rewrite history.

Nalod
USA
9/16/2018  10:42 PM
Nope. You keep bringing it up. You want him to take blame in the place you can’t assign it. Dolan clearly was enthralled with Isiah. Dolan was the boss. Magic didn’t hire Isiah. Dolan did. I don’t know how culpable Mills was, but I’m not making **** up about him. Prove me wrong.
GustavBahler

9/16/2018  11:09 PM
Nalod wrote:Nope. You keep bringing it up. You want him to take blame in the place you can't assign it. Dolan clearly was enthralled with Isiah. Dolan was the boss. Magic didn't hire Isiah. Dolan did. I don't know how culpable Mills was, but I'm not making **** up about him. Prove me wrong.

Easy Peasy. Mills was tasked with finding an exec who could lead a storied franchise into the future. Mills chose someone who had not been a consensus builder in Toronto, or a team player. Quite the contrary. Tried to force out the owner I believe.

Isiah also drove a 50 year old Bball league, a feeder system into the NBA, into the ground.

This is who Mills decided to put in Dolan's orbit. Nothing you say negates that fact. Thats just one bad decision. Not going to go into the others.

Sorry, "I dont know nothing, I just work here" isnt a valid excuse for top execs. Not after decades with the organization. Nope.

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

9/17/2018  3:00 AM

Yeah, yeah, I gotta agree here. Mills, in this interview, sounds like a total piece of ****.

If he didn't want to be a part of "it", the past dysfunction, he could have quit and signed on with another NBA team. By staying, he was a part of it.

Let's not pretend here, Mills head is on the chopping block now. Before he could hide a little because he wasn't the final decision maker. Perry is more valuable than him right now. Usually in cases like this, it ends up a power struggle and Perry is more valuable. You can always find another guy to run the business side, finding a young GM you think can work for you is not so easy.

If Mills could save his job for another 6 months, but it would cost the Knicks the next four years, he'd do it. Most execs would. Phil Jackson did it. Jackson totally ****ed this team over for 4-5 years with Noah and Rose so he could try to make the 8th seed and not get run over in the press anymore.

I don't think everything bad is Mill's fault, but he should just shut the **** up at this point. You stay, you are complicit, it's how it works in pro sports.

Mills needs to spend time with Jocko Willink, a retired Navy Seal who does business development now. Basically his mantra is own your ****. This interview is a soft sell about how everyone now long gone and fired is the full blame for all the teams' misfortunes. Even if it was true, it's poor leadership to pass the buck like this.

Man up and own your ****. He sounds like a ****ing millennial crying about not being able to login to Snapchat or some bull**** like that.

Nalod
USA
9/17/2018  4:02 AM
Lol
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

9/17/2018  6:29 PM
arkrud wrote:Not sure why "who is responsible" for old mistakes is even important.

Then Steve Mills should not have brought it up.

By talking about it, he made it relevant. You can argue all day if it's important or not. Fair distinction on your side if you want to make it. But whether it's RELEVANT or not is not up for discussion. Mills either brought it up himself or allowed himself to engage within that line of questioning. Likely he got a softball question he asked to get asked to shape the narrative of the article.

Assigning "Blame" and assigning "Responsibility" are two different things.

In this case, Mills is assigning BLAME. I've generally had nothing good nor bad to say about Mills. But in this case, he just comes off like a total piece of ****.

Being RESPONSIBLE is saying everyone in the organization is accountable for what happens with the team, everyone has an obligation and opportunity to make it better. Point your finger at yourself and say Blame me.

Jeremy Lin did this. When the Knicks went on a long winning streak, then lost, he said, to the media, if you guys want to credit me all the time when we win, then blame me right now for this loss. This is on me. Not my teammates.

Was it all on him? No. But you stand in front of the bullets for your team. That's leadership.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnKcquMobHQ

Listen to Jocko Willink sometime. Extreme ownership. Own your ****.

I have never said a bad word about Mills before here. I don't truly and fully know how involved he was with the past ****ups. But right here and now, he sounds like a punk.

Win or lose, SHOW SOME CHARACTER.

When you blame others, you GIVE THEM CONTROL. You are saying you want someone else to have control because you don't want to deal with it. Maybe Phil Jackson did stupid **** and Mills had no power to stop him. But Mills always had the power to get up and leave. Don't say you won't be part of some half ass plan when you clearly were part of some half ass plan. You were part of it by being there. By choosing to stay.

Mills is saying, we got something special here. Then shows an example of blaming others and acting like a bitch about it. How do you have something special with that showing upfront to everyone?

knicks1248
Member: #582
9/17/2018  7:21 PM
live now perrry mills fiz

town hall

ES
Nalod
USA
9/17/2018  7:56 PM
Mills is selling the present and admiring the team has made mistakes.
We all know this. The blame game by fans is always a trip.
I agree mills should take some of it but most fans are pretty ignorant.
We always assume a man cannot change his thinking. Even is Mills is culpable he has changed the paradigm of how this franchise thinks.
He is the AntiStarphuch. I celebrate this. In the end the team will speak for itself on the court, not in the chat room.
Nalod
USA
9/17/2018  8:06 PM
knicks1248 wrote:live now perrry mills fiz

town hall

Thx for posting. Likable guys. Mills is a bit stiff but these three are a welcome change.

knicks1248
Member: #582
9/17/2018  8:25 PM
These guys really seem to all be on the same page, but fiz is the truth, he just comes off as a very down to earth smart dude, very articulate confident (but not ****y) cool cat...Definitely a players coach.

This was a really good opportunity to see these guys together and witness their chemistry..

ES
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

9/18/2018  12:39 PM
Mills has little to no credibility IMO.

If he wants to talk about the past (at all) - then take some responsibility for some part of the **** show.

Hopefully he made the right move with Perry who's moves I agree with so far - I trust Perry when he says he is going to be patient.

Article: Steve Mills: Patience the key in Knicks Transition

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy