Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
8/21/2018  9:39 PM
From Clutchfans forum:
Melo's Move

How well will Carmelo Anthony fit in Houston? Contributor Jordan Brenner takes a look.

August 20, 2018

By Jordan Brenner

When Carmelo Anthony signed with the Houston Rockets earlier this month, it was simultaneously one of the least surprising and most puzzling moves of the offseason. In one sense, the merger was obvious: Daryl Morey has always coveted stars, and Anthony was once a star. Add in Melo’s longstanding friendship with Chris Paul and there was a clear connection between player and team.

But from a pure basketball sense, the signing is tough to comprehend. Anthony struggled to fit with the Thunder last season, chafing at a subordinate role on offense. And the Rockets have just as clear a pecking order ahead of Melo: James Harden and Paul are the playmakers, and everyone else plays off them. The Rockets clicked last season because they had forwards who were comfortable in that limited offensive role and who dug in on defense. That’s not Melo’s game and it makes for an awkward fit.

So can the Rockets find a way to make it work? League sources are pessimistic. “I think it’s going to be tough,” says an Eastern Conference executive. “You watched him last year and there was obvious frustration with his role. He’s just not the same guy he was.”

Adds a Western Conference exec, “They are not the same team. Can they be as good a team? I don’t know. But last year they had a defensive mindset for the first time and they were tough. Losing two of those guys is definitely painful and replacing them with Carmelo, yeah, you have a different personality now.”

Those two guys are Trevor Ariza and Luc Mbah a Moute and, along with P.J. Tucker, their tenacity and attention to detail helped transform the Rockets into the NBA’s sixth-best defensive team after ranking 18th in 2016-17. Now they’re gone and Anthony has to take their place. Although the Thunder managed to build a strong defensive unit last season, it was in spite of Anthony, who ranked 73rd among power forwards with a -1.25 defensive RPM.

Of course, as the West exec says, “I don’t think they signed him with the intent to be a stellar defender. Mike [D’Antoni] has had him before. Mike knows.”

Instead, the real question is whether Anthony can be good enough offensively to compensate for whatever he costs Houston on defense. That will require a significant transformation on his part. Houston, of course, runs a steady diet of pick-and-roll and/or isolation with either Harden or Paul handling the ball; the shots others get come directly off their playmaking. As a result, catch-and-shoot threes accounted for 59% of Ariza’s field-goal attempts, 70% of P.J. Tucker’s shots and 51% of Mbah a Moute’s.

Anthony, meanwhile, has been a ball-dominant player for his entire career. Last season was his first attempt to shift into more of a spot-up role, and it didn’t go particularly well: 35% of his shots were catch-and-shoot threes, and he knocked them down at a decent 37% clip. In his three previous seasons, less than 20% of his shots were catch-and-shoot threes. So it will be a brave new world in Houston for Anthony, as he stands on the weak side and waits for a kick-out.

“Carmelo struggles when the ball’s not in his hands,” says the West exec. “He needs a lot of opportunities to get the ball in a rhythm. Maybe in this kind of offense, where there’s transition and he’s getting to take quick shots, maybe he’ll get into a rhythm and it’ll work, but when it comes down to half-court sets in the playoffs and he’s sitting on the weak side, that’s a problem.”

Anthony does have a more versatile offensive game than the guys he’s replacing, so perhaps D’Antoni will find more creative ways to utilize him. Maybe he’ll screen for Harden or Paul in a small-ball lineup, or work from the elbows to key the second unit. The problem is that the types of shots Melo generates are exactly the ones that the Rockets try to avoid. Last season, 31% of his shots were long 2-pointers, which placed him in the league’s 97th percentile. And he hardly ever gets to the rim anymore—those high-value shots accounted for just 15% of his offense, which put him in the 4th percentile at his position.

So Houston has a square peg/round hole issue, one that is exacerbated by the fact that Anthony is 34 years old. There has been talk of rekindling the mythical “Olympic Melo,” but that player was younger, worked against a lower level of competition and wasn’t always great: While Anthony hit 54% of his shots in the 2012 Olympics, he made just 39% in 2016.

Add it all up and you see why so many decision-makers are shaking their heads about the move. “I don’t know what type of environment or system he can play well in and help a team win at this stage of his career,” says a second East exec. “I think he would have to be really humbled to accept the role he could really help a team in, which is to come off the bench, play against backup fours and be a second option off the bench.

“But when you have a player thinking he’s one thing and everyone else seeing another, it’s a recipe for what happened in OKC.”

Jordan Brenner is a sports journalist who has covered the NBA for nearly two decades. He is the former NBA editor for ESPN The Magazine.

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

8/21/2018  11:22 PM
If Melo had kept himself in better shape and put in more effort, he could find a role as a Stretch/small ball 5.

He's actually a good rebounder and he's always been skilled with his back to the basket. His "status" as an All Star and Olympian means he will get shaded with lots of calls in his favor with close contact in the paint.

It's not just the fifteen jab steps and being a chucker that's the problem. It's one of the issues, but not the entire problem. The problem is he kills effective floor spacing. He doesn't move well off the ball, nor seems to show effort to do it. His shot selection is poor. There's not real "synergy" with a high octane free flowing offense with his style of play.

This was an ownership call. I think fans would be easier on Melo if he just actually tried harder. If you close out a shooter, at least put your hands in the air.

Cartman718
Member: #1694

8/22/2018  11:56 AM
i dont know why he keeps questioning whether he should come off the bench or not...he's the only banana boat buddy who hasn't kept himself in great shape and then has frustrations around his numbers dropping, team dynamics, coming off bench blah blah. Look at how gracefully Dwayne Wade accepted it.
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/22/2018  12:14 PM
Cartman718 wrote:i dont know why he keeps questioning whether he should come off the bench or not...he's the only banana boat buddy who hasn't kept himself in great shape and then has frustrations around his numbers dropping, team dynamics, coming off bench blah blah. Look at how gracefully Dwayne Wade accepted it.

He will always compare himself to Lebron in the sense of them being stars throughout the same years. Lebron has not shown any real decline in his game, so Melo in his mind has not declined either. He attributes his lower stats to change in role, etc. So you can't tell a former star who doesn't think he's declined in any way to come off the bench. Melo views himself differently than the rest of the world right now.

Cartman718
Member: #1694

8/22/2018  12:16 PM
Knixkik wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:i dont know why he keeps questioning whether he should come off the bench or not...he's the only banana boat buddy who hasn't kept himself in great shape and then has frustrations around his numbers dropping, team dynamics, coming off bench blah blah. Look at how gracefully Dwayne Wade accepted it.

He will always compare himself to Lebron in the sense of them being stars throughout the same years. Lebron has not shown any real decline in his game, so Melo in his mind has not declined either. He attributes his lower stats to change in role, etc. So you can't tell a former star who doesn't think he's declined in any way to come off the bench. Melo views himself differently than the rest of the world right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Melo was traded to Lakers by trading deadline. He does not fit Houston...I do believe Rockets will win championship this coming season though.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
knicks1248
Member: #582
8/22/2018  12:19 PM
Melo is an entire different player when he has a pg/leader like a billups and CP3. He is a much better fit in MDA system, then the thunder with russel(i play for stats first)westbrook.
ES
Ira
Member: #91
8/23/2018  9:25 AM
Melo is 34 now. His game went south last season and will probably continue in that direction. He'll have to accept a limited role.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/23/2018  11:48 AM

Morey has only 2.4mm skin in Melo.
MDA might have an idea to use him as a weapon in the scheme of this offense.
None of us know whats in Melo's head. His words or intentions are one thing and his actions were another. Not saying he is a bad person, I think he wants to succeed and he is a super wealthy person headed into the HOF.
What will be asked to do and how will if possible execute it? Will it be effective?
As fan I look forward to following it. The "Good wrestler vs bad" is in many fans minds. Some of you don't like MDA or Melo, or love him.
Me? Im a knick fan and want to believe everyone had good intent. Even Dolan. Its execution. Its the game. Dig it or not?
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
8/23/2018  12:16 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Melo was traded to Lakers by trading deadline. He does not fit Houston...I do believe Rockets will win championship this coming season though.

I believe Rockets are a lesser team this yr than last yr as it stands. They need to add some more gems. Paul is injury prone and is only getting older. They don't have the defensive pieces they had last season. They lack the utility players that contribute away from the ball they had last season. Would need Capela to reach another level to make up for it. Melo isn't that utility type of guy. They need more of a Marion type even the one that played for the Mavs would do wonders.

If Melo is willing to come of the bench and be a 6th man then he would def fit in a lot better. But again Rockets lack the defensive pieces they had last yr to complete the team. They would need upgrades over Ennis and MCW in that department. They still will be a high seeded playoff team, but they probably lose a round earlier this coming season as it stands.

But it possible they find these upgrades throughout the season.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

8/23/2018  4:50 PM
knicks1248 wrote:Melo is an entire different player when he has a pg/leader like a billups and CP3. He is a much better fit in MDA system, then the thunder with russel(i play for stats first)westbrook.
maybe 4-5 years ago that would of been the case but not anymore. He was always flawed but age and injuries have definetly made his game decline pretty substantially. Plus we know CP3 has difficulty staying healthy anyway
Nalod
USA
8/24/2018  6:10 AM
knicks1248 wrote:Melo is an entire different player when he has a pg/leader like a billups and CP3. He is a much better fit in MDA system, then the thunder with russel(i play for stats first)westbrook.

Your saying its Westbrook as Melo’s problem last year?

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

8/24/2018  6:08 PM
Nalod wrote:

Both were problems.

WB is a selfish low IQ player, but one who is so physically gifted, it's a bit insane. He is more offensively dominant than Melo ever was in the league. Melo was more offensively complete in his prime compared to WB. There's nothing from a skill set standpoint that Melo could not do well offensively. Whether he was willing to do those things was the issue. WB at least gives full burn all the time.

Both need the ball in their hands, only WB, at this point, can justify being so ball dominant.

Melo does not move well off the ball. He's a zero on defense. His shot selection is putrid. He's pretty much the anti-everything when it comes to Moreyball and SSOL. It doesn't matter if he starts or comes off the bench, his chosen style of play is toxic.

If Melo wanted to save his career, he should have signed with the Warriors. Only Draymond Green could cover for Melo on the floor defensively now. No other player, just Green.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
8/24/2018  11:34 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Both were problems.

WB is a selfish low IQ player, but one who is so physically gifted, it's a bit insane. He is more offensively dominant than Melo ever was in the league. Melo was more offensively complete in his prime compared to WB. There's nothing from a skill set standpoint that Melo could not do well offensively. Whether he was willing to do those things was the issue. WB at least gives full burn all the time.

Both need the ball in their hands, only WB, at this point, can justify being so ball dominant.

Melo does not move well off the ball. He's a zero on defense. His shot selection is putrid. He's pretty much the anti-everything when it comes to Moreyball and SSOL. It doesn't matter if he starts or comes off the bench, his chosen style of play is toxic.

If Melo wanted to save his career, he should have signed with the Warriors. Only Draymond Green could cover for Melo on the floor defensively now. No other player, just Green.

Even Boogy wants to win more that Melo.
Melo went to hang out with his bodies but Boogy went for the best shot to get a chip.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

8/26/2018  11:07 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Both were problems.

All true. The thing that underscores Melo's career is that each time he was presented with the choice between further enriching himself and being part of so.etbing bigger with a chance to win it all, he always unfailingly put himself ahead of everything else. This is who he is.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
knicks1248
Member: #582
8/27/2018  12:41 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Both were problems.

I said yrs ago( when melo first came to ny) that he would never win a championship until he was a role player.

ES
Nalod
USA
8/28/2018  6:55 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Both were problems.

I said yrs ago( when melo first came to ny) that he would never win a championship until he was a role player.

Few if any possess a unique blend of claroyence and humility which makes for a great three writer!
but you most certainly have something!

Olbrannon
Member: #2919
USA
8/29/2018  9:56 AM
Nalod wrote:
Morey has only 2.4mm skin in Melo.
MDA might have an idea to use him as a weapon in the scheme of this offense.
None of us know whats in Melo's head. His words or intentions are one thing and his actions were another. Not saying he is a bad person, I think he wants to succeed and he is a super wealthy person headed into the HOF.
What will be asked to do and how will if possible execute it? Will it be effective?
As fan I look forward to following it. The "Good wrestler vs bad" is in many fans minds. Some of you don't like MDA or Melo, or love him.
Me? Im a knick fan and want to believe everyone had good intent. Even Dolan. Its execution. Its the game. Dig it or not?

I don't suppose he will be holding votes for leadership in OKC? You know the whole "me or D'Antoni' thing? Oh wait if he did he would just need to pack.

he is a super wealthy person headed into the HOF

If money was all that mattered we would have no need of rings, eh?

Bill Simmons on Tyreke Evans "The prototypical 0-guard: Someone who handles the ball all the time, looks for his own shot, gets to the rim at will and operates best if his teammates spread the floor to watch him."
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/29/2018  10:02 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Both were problems.

It's been documented that Westbrook doesn't get simple things like setting screens for others and then sliding screens, which is a prime reason he's going to continue to be an empty stat chaser if he doesn't change.

Andre Roberson was doing a good job of covering for Melo's defensive liabilities prior to the injury. To your point though, it's doubtful he would have been a lock to continue doing that this season, had Melo stayed put.

Not sure how being a zero on defense matters with Pringles, other than compounding the issue playing alongside Harden. Going to be interesting to see if Melo gets why his bench career must start now, because he and Harden can't be on the floor at the same time for any length of meaningful time. There is no Green or Roberson to save either one of them now.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/29/2018  2:33 PM
No hoodie.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/29/2018  4:27 PM
CrushAlot wrote:No hoodie.

People always tweet these videos saying Melo looks great. Obviously he looks great. What do they expect? He can still score with the best of them and will dominant pickup games until he's 50 years old, maybe older. The issue with Melo is his unwillingness to change his game to fit the constant-changing league. I always hoped he could adjust as he aged and make up for slight year over year declines with constant adjustments, but he has been unwilling to do that.

Cleaning The Glass Article: How Well Will Carmelo fit in Houston

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy