[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: SA Spurs this year
Author Thread
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
8/17/2018  4:34 PM
I'm wondering what the Spurs are going to look like with their big three being Aldridge, Derozen and Gay, and a couple of dinosaurs.
Somehow I feel its not a typical Spurs team that we've been used to seeing for the last 15 years.
Maybe its time for a roster overhaul? Or can they make noise with this roster?
IMHO, Certainly not championship contenders. Should they be sellers?
AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/17/2018  4:54 PM
Panos wrote:I'm wondering what the Spurs are going to look like with their big three being Aldridge, Derozen and Gay, and a couple of dinosaurs.
Somehow I feel its not a typical Spurs team that we've been used to seeing for the last 15 years.

Not sure. Green was getting up there, but he is still a solid contributor. Kyle Anderson's departure is going to hurt as well. I like Murray, but he doesn't help spacing, especially with DeMar and Lamarcus in the starting lineup. But Pop is good at adjusting to his personnel. If anyone can make sense of the lineup, it's him.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/17/2018  5:23 PM
They'll win 52 games at the 4-5th seed.
This is a smart veteran team that won't get over used. Injuries will happen, to what degree with determine the outcome like all others.
Pop usually has some surprise upside player(s) so it should be interesting.
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
8/17/2018  5:35 PM
I am curious to see how big a role Lonnie Walker has next season. Also, I think they really should have pushed to get OG from the Raptors. The Raptors did very well in the Leonard trade.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/17/2018  5:44 PM
CrushAlot wrote:I am curious to see how big a role Lonnie Walker has next season. Also, I think they really should have pushed to get OG from the Raptors. The Raptors did very well in the Leonard trade.

He has the opportunity to slide into Green's spot. Realistically...he's probably a year, maybe 2, away to count as a consistent contributor. Also, is DeRozan start for them at two or three? This roster is weird. I understand why they would want Poetl. You can't expect Pau to play a full season. But OG probably would've made more sense.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/18/2018  7:16 PM
Panos wrote:I'm wondering what the Spurs are going to look like with their big three being Aldridge, Derozen and Gay, and a couple of dinosaurs.

They are one of those rare franchises that doesn't believe in tanking. They want to compete and make the playoffs. Just because they aren't a contender doesn't mean they should sell the farm and try to be really bad. This mentality has just got out of hand over the years. Tanking is the most popular word in the NBA right now.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/18/2018  9:55 PM
Knixkik wrote:

They are one of those rare franchises that doesn't believe in tanking. They want to compete and make the playoffs. Just because they aren't a contender doesn't mean they should sell the farm and try to be really bad. This mentality has just got out of hand over the years. Tanking is the most popular word in the NBA right now.

I think they wanted Pop to have a team that could compete for his past couple of years. The Celtics offer was several first rounder picks including the Kings pick.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
smackeddog
Member: #883
8/19/2018  5:16 AM
CrushAlot wrote:I am curious to see how big a role Lonnie Walker has next season. Also, I think they really should have pushed to get OG from the Raptors. The Raptors did very well in the Leonard trade.

I'm curious as to what Lonnie long term health worries are--a lot of writers said he had health concerns but didn't specify what they are

dodger78
Member: #250
Germany
8/19/2018  1:36 PM
Knixkik wrote:

Well to be honest the Spurs dif the mother of all tanks to get Duncan when they rested Robinson for a full season.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/19/2018  4:15 PM
dodger78 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Well to be honest the Spurs dif the mother of all tanks to get Duncan when they rested Robinson for a full season.

But lets also be honest, that was a long time ago and still they have drafted and developed very very well!!!

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

8/19/2018  6:37 PM

Roster overhaul- What's left? The roster that led to those great runs has been overhauled. They can be sellers but who will buy and at whjat value? They should look to th edraft again, tyhey'll be mediocre for a while unless they hit gold like another Duncan.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/19/2018  6:51 PM
dodger78 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

That wasn’t tanking. They were loaded with injuries and were just really bad. Not the same as selling off top players for assets.

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

8/19/2018  11:13 PM
Knixkik wrote:

Peter Holt and his wife have been in a long process of getting divorced. While it's finally come out that the Spurs are not on the sale block, that was not always true internally. Generally speaking, the valuation of a NBA franchise does reflect the current roster. The Warriors are worth a ton because Curry and Durant are there. If they were not, different story.

Situations like this are already unstable, so in what can be made stable, that's generally the direction.

A massive tanking plus the changeover in leadership is just a lot of instability to the franchise. The end result in many cases impacts rank and file people ( Frank and Jamie McCourt's divorce and the LA Dodgers, after everyone figured out she was banging Jeff Kent) It appears Peter Holt has tried to insulate the functional side of the franchise from the personal conflicts involved.

Long story short, just never get married guys. The Spurs story is a ****show. Tony Parker banging other wives from his teammates. Duncan's wife cucking him. Holt getting sideswiped.

If you want to sell your franchise, you don't want to rock the boat too much. ( For example Ballmer paid 2 billion for the Clippers with Chris Paul and Blake Griffin. Do you think they'd be worth that much now with them gone? Long term he will make money off the purchase, but right now, the roster will impact any immediate sale. )

Panos
Member: #520
8/20/2018  12:11 AM
Knixkik wrote:

Sorry, maybe i misused the term. I didn't mean They should tank, just reboot and be active dealing what they have for younger talent. Not for the purpose of losing. They have a good eye for talent, better than most franchises.

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

8/20/2018  1:53 PM
Panos wrote:Sorry, maybe i misused the term. I didn't mean They should tank, just reboot and be active dealing what they have for younger talent. Not for the purpose of losing. They have a good eye for talent, better than most franchises.

They avoid a lot of players. I mean have outright eliminated them as option for their team.

They prefer "European Style" type players. Both Buford and Pop have come out and said as much, as much as can be said in public without too much backlash.

I was surprised when they got Tracy McGrady. Apparently their entire veteran core lobbied for him, because he had a really horrible reputation in Houston and Detroit.

They very badly wanted Al Horford ( not the version he is now, but his end state with the Hawks) When they whiffed on him, that sort of threw them for a tailspin. It was all but locked and done in principle, but Brad Stevens and Ainge changed Horford's mind.

The Jerry Sloan situation with Deron Williams changed how some of the older guard franchises handled personnel. That **** with Sloan was ugly. Some teams just don't want to deal with it. The typical Me First ******* celebrity athlete looking to drop his next rap track or try to get a sneaker deal instead of working on his three point shot.

It's true in all of life. There's a point where a guy can be talented in the workplace, but he's too much of an ******* to deal with day after day. The Leonard situation doesn't help things either.

People sort of bash the Heat for the big contracts they gave out, and I can see the criticism. But part of it is they got and stayed with guys they actually like. Who they think will endure the culture. Whiteside was a mistake, but the rest seem like that's working out for them on the interpersonal end.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

8/20/2018  2:21 PM
Panos wrote:Maybe its time for a roster overhaul? Or can they make noise with this roster?

I think it is time for a retool but I don't think it will happen. I think as long as Pop is there, they beleive they have a chance. So I expect them to get someone at the deadline and to keep going for it while they have Pop. I don't necessarily think it's smart but then again the Spurs has been able to pull stars out of thin air

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
OT: SA Spurs this year

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy