Cleaning The Glass Article on Trey Burke
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
8/15/2018  11:20 PM
Posted by a realgm poster.
After analyzing video of Burke before and after this past season, there’s no question that he has made legit improvements to his game. The most important may be his newfound ability to finish at the rim. When Burke was with the Jazz, he struggled mightily when he got into the teeth of the defense, shooting below 50% at the rim during all three seasons in Utah, never ranking above the 25th percentile for point guards. But with the Knicks last season, he finished 71% of his attempts, which ranked on the 93rd percentile.

What’s behind that dramatic shift? Burke actually changed the way he finishes. In the following clips, watch how, after getting a step on the defender, Burke veers into the man guarding him. By leaning into the defender’s body to initiate contact, Burke is able to cut off the defender from trying to block his shot. Burke extends the ball and shields it with his body; if the defender tries to block his shot, it likely will result in a foul.

Burke has also made tremendous strides as a passer, particularly in the pick-and-roll. Early in Burke’s career, he had a habit of passing the ball too early in the pick-and-roll without putting pressure on the screener’s defender with the dribble. Ideally, the goal of the ball handler is to create indecision for the screener’s man—should he stay attached to the screener or come up and guard the dribbler? But without attacking with a minimum of two dribbles coming off the ball screen, Burke wouldn’t cause this kind of confusion, nor would he freeze the “low man,” (the weak-side corner defender who is responsible for tagging the roller).

With the Knicks, Burke showed much more patience in his pick-and-roll reads. In the next clip, watch how much better he utilizes his dribble. Instead of picking up his dribble immediately after coming off the ball screen, he keeps it alive and puts his defender on his back. That patience allows the screener to get open on the roll or pop, as the screener’s defender has to stay with Burke.

Burke’s improved patience and ability to play at different speeds have allowed him to make advanced reads out of the pick-and-roll. That’s reflected in his assist rate, which jumped from to 32% last season compared to just 20% in his final year in Utah, with a similar usage rate. Burke has learned to manipulate the defense and seek out the weak-side shooter when the low man pulls in to help on the roller—a play he used to miss in Utah.

Burke’s defense remains a huge liability; his team has improved defensively when he’s off the floor in each year of his career. Defensive rebounding in particular is a glaring weakness of his. His issues at that end of the court will make it difficult for him to develop into a starting point guard, especially given how teams increasingly value switching.

Going forward, then, Burke likely will be most valuable as a sparkplug off the bench. He has shown real improvement on offense as a shot creator, passer and finisher. Burke will need to continue to knock down jumpers—last year he hit 50% of his midrange shots, which ranked in the NBA’s 98th percentile. He must prove that wasn’t a fluke. But at a minimum he’s shown that he can provide real value to a team, and that he may not have reached his full potential—we’ve seen that he is willing to put in the work to make real, lasting improvements in his game.

https://cleaningtheglass.com/new-york-groove/

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/16/2018  8:16 AM
I think Fiz is going to have a tremendous impact on his improvement.

If you look at Gasol and mike conley #s during fiz tenure, conley became a very good finisher around the rim, in fact, the entire team did, and gasol went from a total of three 3 point attempts to 268(hello kanter), conley went from 215 attempts to 420.

We are going to be a high flying 3 point shooting team. Maybe this is the coach that Mudiay, burke and frank needed

ES
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
8/16/2018  12:25 PM
Burke should play a big role. There's a few things he can do really well which we desperately need. 1) He takes perfect care of the ball. While he can sometimes overdribble he never turns the ball over. Like ever. 2) he can get into the lane at will and create shots. We have bigs who can score and finish. Burke should be able to create some open looks.

He's gonna hurt us on D, how bad we will see but his role on offense is going to be pivotal and I think he could legit help us to a good start and winning some games. I suspect Burke ends up being a stop gap player for us.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
blkexec
Member: #748
8/16/2018  3:11 PM
fishmike wrote:Burke should play a big role. There's a few things he can do really well which we desperately need. 1) He takes perfect care of the ball. While he can sometimes overdribble he never turns the ball over. Like ever. 2) he can get into the lane at will and create shots. We have bigs who can score and finish. Burke should be able to create some open looks.

He's gonna hurt us on D, how bad we will see but his role on offense is going to be pivotal and I think he could legit help us to a good start and winning some games. I suspect Burke ends up being a stop gap player for us.

Pairing Burk with Frank will off-set his lack of defense.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
knicks1248
8/16/2018  3:49 PM
blkexec wrote:
fishmike wrote:Burke should play a big role. There's a few things he can do really well which we desperately need. 1) He takes perfect care of the ball. While he can sometimes overdribble he never turns the ball over. Like ever. 2) he can get into the lane at will and create shots. We have bigs who can score and finish. Burke should be able to create some open looks.

Yup, like sprewell did for allan houston.

I'm not sure why ppl continue to think burke is more suited for a 6th man roll when he's more valuable as a starter, unless kyrie is here.

Some of you forget that JH did such a piss poor job with his rotation bringing in burke for strictly the 4th quarter in a slew of games in march, and normally it was because we were down and needed his scoring.

ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/16/2018  4:17 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Yup, like sprewell did for allan houston.

I'm not sure why ppl continue to think burke is more suited for a 6th man roll when he's more valuable as a starter, unless kyrie is here.

Some of you forget that JH did such a piss poor job with his rotation bringing in burke for strictly the 4th quarter in a slew of games in march, and normally it was because we were down and needed his scoring.

season was gone by march when Burke got his best minutes. Your thinking "Coach is stupid, he don't know that in the next 30 games that kid who got called up will really play well?" Burke had to earn his minutes and he did by looking good. You got hindsight confused with your thinking.
Burkes first games were not that good. He acclimated and found pace. Good for him, good for knicks.
what burke has not demonstrated is his ability to play starters minutes and produce as that pace. Its not plug and play.
Burke will have a chance to earn his place.

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

8/16/2018  10:48 PM
knicks1248 wrote:I think Fiz is going to have a tremendous impact on his improvement.

As a Knicks fan, like all Knicks fans here, I want it to work out.

Stepping back, as a general basketball fan, I doubt it.

It's NOT just Burke alone on defense. The combination of Burke and Kanter from their Utah days spells real trouble. The Knicks will get slaughtered night after night against even the most mediocre pick and roll from other teams.

He got stronger ( fresh legs, PEDS testing cycling was different since he missed most of the NBA season) and did a good job at mid range. He put in real effort. I'll give him that.

But he's a zero on defense, he calls his own number way too much on offense, he's not a high IQ player and he has real athleticism limitations. He also has not proven he can bang it from three point range at an above average rate and from plus range, which is pretty much required since his other limitations are so glaring. He was available for a reason. He finally subverted his previous playing style ( playing like he was more talented than he really was against NBA grade competition) because he was desperate to stay in the league.

Anyone can get volume counting stats if they get enough looks. Or call their own number enough. The Knicks last year were gutted with attrition and injury, also general lack of talent.

He's gotta start hitting three balls as PLUS RANGE. And do it at an elite rate. He and Kanter need to provide enough scoring to offset how many points they are going to give up. Sadly, they are going to give up a ton of points.

The idea that Frank N can cover up for Burke's defensive woes is laughable and bizarre. That's some chuck first AAU inspired voodoo magic if I've ever heard it. You can shade a mediocre defender a little, but Burke is a true zero out there. It's why he was available in the first place. Teams could no longer hide Ray Allen, and that dude is/was a historic level gunner. He was also a high IQ player.

Look at how Courtney Lee plays and look how Burke plays, ACROSS THEIR ENTIRE CAREERS and you see a massive difference in how a player plays within his realistic skill set or not.

knicks1248
8/17/2018  1:36 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:I think Fiz is going to have a tremendous impact on his improvement.

It's NOT just Burke alone on defense. The combination of Burke and Kanter from their Utah days spells real trouble. The Knicks will get slaughtered night after night against even the most mediocre pick and roll from other teams.

He got stronger ( fresh legs, PEDS testing cycling was different since he missed most of the NBA season) and did a good job at mid range. He put in real effort. I'll give him that.

But he's a zero on defense, he calls his own number way too much on offense, he's not a high IQ player and he has real athleticism limitations. He also has not proven he can bang it from three point range at an above average rate and from plus range, which is pretty much required since his other limitations are so glaring. He was available for a reason. He finally subverted his previous playing style ( playing like he was more talented than he really was against NBA grade competition) because he was desperate to stay in the league.

Anyone can get volume counting stats if they get enough looks. Or call their own number enough. The Knicks last year were gutted with attrition and injury, also general lack of talent.

He's gotta start hitting three balls as PLUS RANGE. And do it at an elite rate. He and Kanter need to provide enough scoring to offset how many points they are going to give up. Sadly, they are going to give up a ton of points.

The idea that Frank N can cover up for Burke's defensive woes is laughable and bizarre. That's some chuck first AAU inspired voodoo magic if I've ever heard it. You can shade a mediocre defender a little, but Burke is a true zero out there. It's why he was available in the first place. Teams could no longer hide Ray Allen, and that dude is/was a historic level gunner. He was also a high IQ player.

Look at how Courtney Lee plays and look how Burke plays, ACROSS THEIR ENTIRE CAREERS and you see a massive difference in how a player plays within his realistic skill set or not.

lol @he calls his own number....Find me a guard in today's NBA game that doesn't call his own #, you should find him out of the rotation.

lee, lance, KOQ, and frank combine to take less than 13 shot attempts combine, your not winning a lot of games scoring a 104 points (which is what we avg)

You think Kyrie or kemba is going to shoot less than Burke?

ES
Nalod
USA
8/17/2018  1:44 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

lol @he calls his own number....Find me a guard in today's NBA game that doesn't call his own #, you should find him out of the rotation.

lee, lance, KOQ, and frank combine to take less than 13 shot attempts combine, your not winning a lot of games scoring a 104 points (which is what we avg)

You pivot to that? Kyrie and Kemba are allstars.
Burke is a journeyman.

knicks1248
8/17/2018  3:56 PM
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Burke is a journeyman.

You make less and less sense the more you post.

so because he's been on 2 other teams, he should play more passive and pass the ball to players that will only pass it back to him to shoot because that's what they do..hahahah.

how many coaches have begged Lee, frank, and lance to shoot more, how many wide open shots those guys have passed up.

Also his coach (JH)gave him the green light, not to mention he was drafted as a scoring guard, just like frank was drafted as a defensive guard, every one has their role.

ES
Nalod
USA
8/17/2018  5:09 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Burke is a journeyman.

so because he's been on 2 other teams, he should play more passive and pass the ball to players that will only pass it back to him to shoot because that's what they do..hahahah.

how many coaches have begged Lee, frank, and lance to shoot more, how many wide open shots those guys have passed up.

Also his coach (JH)gave him the green light, not to mention he was drafted as a scoring guard, just like frank was drafted as a defensive guard, every one has their role.

Yes, every has a role. Yours is to keep your head down and count the cracks in the sidewalk.
You equated Burke to Kyrie and Kemba. Your words.
I never said Burke should be more passive. Real world here: Your boy Beas and Burke both got green light to shoot because the team was awful. Empty calories.
Question is Burke really the future? Im not going to say no, but he will get a chance to play for a new coach but have to play in his system also.

Trust me, if I start to make sense to you then I know I am NOT valid.

TripleThreat

8/18/2018  1:50 AM
knicks1248 wrote:lol @he calls his own number....Find me a guard in today's NBA game that doesn't call his own #, you should find him out of the rotation.

A player can call his own number.

But if he's actually doing his job, he's doing it

A) In consideration of what the defense is giving him

B) In consideration of all the matchups on the floor, not just his own

C) In the entire context of running a free flowing offense for the greater good of winning

D) Within the context of actual "game flow", i.e. without disrupting basic fundamental basketball

Chris Paul will sometimes take a lot of shots. Sometimes he will take very few shots. Sometimes he focuses on getting a specific player going. Sometimes he just rides the hot hand around him. What Chris Paul does not do is play one way all the time because he can't play any other way.

Burke looks for his own shot first and foremost and always. He doesn't play any other way. He's never played any other way. He hasn't show he can play any other way.

HIS JOB IS TO RUN THE ENTIRE OFFENSE, not just his own offense.

The guys who do call their own number all the time and can get away with it are guys who can

1) Consistently create their own shot

2) Can do so even with defenses focused and gameplanning specifically to stop them

3) Shows that they can do it night after night, against all types of teams, looks, situations and defensive sets

Because the Knicks don't have a ton of talent on the roster doesn't mean you give up basic fundamental basketball.

Burke can hit the long range two. But his rate of conversion last season is likely something he can't sustain. He needs to drop the three ball at an elite rate and at plus range. He has to run the offense, not just be a chucker.

HIS JOB IS TO RUN THE ENTIRE OFFENSE. NOT TO BE A CHUCKER. If he can prove all year long he can run the Knicks offense for the betterment of the entire team/roster, then there's something to be said for shading for his own looks more often. But he hasn't. He had a few nice games at the end of last year. That buys him another chance on the roster. It does not buy him a green light to ignore his actual job as a point guard.

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
8/20/2018  11:43 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:lol @he calls his own number....Find me a guard in today's NBA game that doesn't call his own #, you should find him out of the rotation.

C) In the entire context of running a free flowing offense for the greater good of winning

D) Within the context of actual "game flow", i.e. without disrupting basic fundamental basketball

Chris Paul will sometimes take a lot of shots. Sometimes he will take very few shots. Sometimes he focuses on getting a specific player going. Sometimes he just rides the hot hand around him. What Chris Paul does not do is play one way all the time because he can't play any other way.

Burke looks for his own shot first and foremost and always. He doesn't play any other way. He's never played any other way. He hasn't show he can play any other way.

The guys who do call their own number all the time and can get away with it are guys who can

2) Can do so even with defenses focused and gameplanning specifically to stop them

3) Shows that they can do it night after night, against all types of teams, looks, situations and defensive sets

Because the Knicks don't have a ton of talent on the roster doesn't mean you give up basic fundamental basketball.

Burke can hit the long range two. But his rate of conversion last season is likely something he can't sustain. He needs to drop the three ball at an elite rate and at plus range. He has to run the offense, not just be a chucker.

HIS JOB IS TO RUN THE ENTIRE OFFENSE. NOT TO BE A CHUCKER. If he can prove all year long he can run the Knicks offense for the betterment of the entire team/roster, then there's something to be said for shading for his own looks more often. But he hasn't. He had a few nice games at the end of last year. That buys him another chance on the roster. It does not buy him a green light to ignore his actual job as a point guard.

trey burke is costing us $1.8M. i'd say that's perfect for a sparkplug who could ignite the offense at times when we really need it.

he's got flaws, you broke them down well. but when he got expanded minutes in the last 10 games of the season he delivered 18 pts and 8 assists per game. it isn't exactly that he stopped getting others involved in the offense.

knicks1248
8/20/2018  1:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/20/2018  1:37 PM
How can you even judge a player when his role was never identify

One night he's a starter, the next night he doesn't even play, the next night he comes off the bench, the next night he plays just the 4th qtr. It was like that for damn near the entire roster and quite frankly, both fisher and JH butchered the rotation to death, and that's putting it mildly

No professional player will be consistent if his minutes and role isn't.

ES
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
8/20/2018  1:38 PM
Marv wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

trey burke is costing us $1.8M. i'd say that's perfect for a sparkplug who could ignite the offense at times when we really need it.

he's got flaws, you broke them down well. but when he got expanded minutes in the last 10 games of the season he delivered 18 pts and 8 assists per game. it isn't exactly that he stopped getting others involved in the offense.

I want Burke attacking if he is going to convert on his shots.

And who was he supposed to pass it to last year? Who were the lethal offensive players that we had on our squad. My memory has gone blank?

I like Burke. If he can continue, there is no reason he can't be an Isiaih Thomas 2.0 lite.

We're not winning anything this year, though I think we may surprise.

I'd like to see development from the young nucleus, and I think Burke can be part of the longer term solution.

TripleThreat

8/20/2018  2:09 PM
knicks1248 wrote:How can you even judge a player when his role was never identify

One night he's a starter, the next night he doesn't even play, the next night he comes off the bench, the next night he plays just the 4th qtr. It was like that for damn near the entire roster and quite frankly, both fisher and JH butchered the rotation to death, and that's putting it mildly

You have to make the most of the opportunities given to you.

Burke had plenty of chances in Utah to establish himself. He got to start, he got minutes.

Justin Turner is the starting third baseman for the Dodgers. Before that, some people forget he was with the Mets. He was a bench guy, when he got a chance, he hit. He made positive things happen. Play in a way where they can't take you out of the lineup.

The crux of what you are trying to say is it's not fair. No, it's not fair. Who said it had to be fair?

You play, you produce. You don't produce, you don't play. This was covered when Hard Knocks covered the Jets. A 4th string long shot QB got cut in camp. He said, I was expected to make chicken salad out of chicken **** ( complaining his skill guys were not NFL quality) The guy cutting him told him, that's your job. Make chicken salad out of chicken **** if that's what it comes down to on the field.

Can he help this team? Yes. Then again Don Nelson running out Byron Houston to body slam dudes for six hard fouls is considered helping his team. Will Burke help them in the way some people here are talking or hope? Probably not.

knicks1248
8/20/2018  2:47 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:How can you even judge a player when his role was never identify

You have to make the most of the opportunities given to you.

Burke had plenty of chances in Utah to establish himself. He got to start, he got minutes.

Justin Turner is the starting third baseman for the Dodgers. Before that, some people forget he was with the Mets. He was a bench guy, when he got a chance, he hit. He made positive things happen. Play in a way where they can't take you out of the lineup.

The crux of what you are trying to say is it's not fair. No, it's not fair. Who said it had to be fair?

You play, you produce. You don't produce, you don't play. This was covered when Hard Knocks covered the Jets. A 4th string long shot QB got cut in camp. He said, I was expected to make chicken salad out of chicken **** ( complaining his skill guys were not NFL quality) The guy cutting him told him, that's your job. Make chicken salad out of chicken **** if that's what it comes down to on the field.

Can he help this team? Yes. Then again Don Nelson running out Byron Houston to body slam dudes for six hard fouls is considered helping his team. Will Burke help them in the way some people here are talking or hope? Probably not.

I'm not talking about what he did in UTAH and DC, any player in sports will tell you, with erratic minutes, comes erratic play. The most important thing with any winning team is identifying a players role.

when you look at the roster that won 54 games, every single players role was identified from the start of the season, it's the reason Melo was 3rd in MVP votes, and JR was the 6th man of the yr, novak was lights out, and felton and Kidd played pretty consistent (until the playoffs).

When THJ came back from his injury and they had him on a minute restriction, he played awful, and part of that was the role they had him in, and the up and down minutes he got.

Right now burkes the starter, he's better than MUdiay and Frank by far, and I will put any amount of money that he will be in line for "Most improve player" of the yr

ES
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/20/2018  3:07 PM
Perfect opportunity for Burke to show he can be more than a sub. Big market, big vacancy at the starting PG position. His defense was supposed to be the worst in G league, so wasnt expecting much. Better defense in the big league, Hornacek said as much. At the very least is a decent stop gap player who is hungry for more.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
8/20/2018  5:33 PM

Guys like Steph Curry nor Damien Lillard are off the charts athletic yet they're among the very tops at the PG spot. And yeah, they've been given the green light to shoot whenever they feel like it.

Burke MAY have just unlocked that same type of scoring potential. I'd like to see the Knicks give Burke a shot. The article basically said he was out of this world good as he finished off last season... why not continue his run - with production like that, he definitely wasn't hurting the team.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/20/2018  7:24 PM
technomaster wrote:
Guys like Steph Curry nor Damien Lillard are off the charts athletic yet they're among the very tops at the PG spot. And yeah, they've been given the green light to shoot whenever they feel like it.

Burke MAY have just unlocked that same type of scoring potential. I'd like to see the Knicks give Burke a shot. The article basically said he was out of this world good as he finished off last season... why not continue his run - with production like that, he definitely wasn't hurting the team.

Maybe. Burke and Curry are exceptional three point shooters, tho. It's unlikely Burke will keep up the pace he had from mid-range last year. Will he be able to adjust and shoot with more frequency and efficiency from three? Will be interesting. He will have plenty of opportunity.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Cleaning The Glass Article on Trey Burke

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy