[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

ARticle on Chris Brickley, talks about working with Frank and Kanter
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
7/30/2018  9:01 PM
Brickley has also worked this summer with two current Knicks. He and Frank Ntilikina have spent time on allowing the 6-6 Knicks guard to use his size over small defenders and to develop moves in the post. The work they did together was clear when Ntilikina started hitting turnaround jumpers during Summer League. But most of the work Brickley has done with Ntilikina, he says, is focused on the mindset of a player who turned 20 on Saturday.

“One of our main focuses after this season has been just being aggressive,” Brickley said. “If you go back to pre-draft, we’d do shooting drills, dribbling drills, he had all the skills, he just needed to keep that mindset and bring it to the court and be aggressive. I kept stressing to him the more aggressive you are, everything else will open up. We’re just working on mindset and being aggressive, his shooting, his ball-handling, basically his overall game. One thing that we worked on and he did it a few times in Summer League, we were working on when he has a guard that’s smaller than him, penetrating to the paint, those pivots, shooting over those little guards a little bit and that was great. I think he has such a great upside, especially defensively. I think coach (David) Fizdale is going to allow him to be a little more aggressive and I think he needs someone to believe in him so he gets that confidence.”

Brickley has also been working with Enes Kanter this summer. Part of their workouts have centered on adding a 3-pointer to Kanter’s game. Kanter has only taken 109 3s in his seven-year career, hitting 29.4 percent of them, but has dabbled a bit in some seasons. He took 45 in 2014-15 and hit 35.6 percent. He took 38 in his last season in Oklahoma City but hit just 13.2 percent.

Brickley says Kanter’s shot has translated well, in part because of his mechanics in the mid-range. While Kanter hit just 14-of-34 shots from 16 feet to the 3-point line, Brickley says he’s been “consistent” with his mid-range shot.

“That’s actually one of his main things for the summer,” Brickley said of Kanter shooting 3s. “Coach Fizdale told him that he wanted him to work on his 3-point shot. We still get our post work in, for sure. We get in all of our skill work but we get up 3s every single day. He’s shooting, actually, really well. We shot 100 3s today at the end of the workout and he made 72/100 and that was all on the move. He’s improving. It’s a big step being able to do it in the gym as opposed to Madison Square Garden with 30,000 people there but we’re working on it, so hopefully that can show once the season starts.”

https://theathletic.com/448674/2018/07/30/chris-brickley-trainer-to-nba-stars-knows-the-mindset-of-carmelo-anthony-and-frank

Was posted on realgm.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
7/30/2018  10:23 PM
In the meantime when Frank was playing against Tre Young in summer league, NOT once did he back him down low. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink
Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/31/2018  8:13 AM
BigRedDog wrote:In the meantime when Frank was playing against Tre Young in summer league, NOT once did he back him down low. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink

The key is getting the right players around him, players who constantly play fast and aggressive.

I don't believe in letting players play through their mistakes (unless you have no choice)that's how you develop bad habits.

ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/31/2018  9:35 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:In the meantime when Frank was playing against Tre Young in summer league, NOT once did he back him down low. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink

The key is getting the right players around him, players who constantly play fast and aggressive.

I don't believe in letting players play through their mistakes (unless you have no choice)that's how you develop bad habits.

Profound.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
7/31/2018  10:56 AM

He got criticized for that. Then followed up with

Drove lefty with the spin finishing through contact, finishing through contact on the push, hitting contested turn around jumper, hitting contested jumper in mid range off of spin move to the left, floater after being forced left, hitting another contested turn around jumper.

While he wasn't beating guys off the dribble. He was just flat out shooting over them once he got deep enough.

To add, 2 assist after breaking down the defense, both leading to uncontested dunks. Hesitation dribbles freezing the defender allowing him to get deeper in the paint where he can comfortably shoot over them using those turn arounds, spin moves, floaters. As he adds even more strength and more confidence within his craft...

So we saw the good and the bad. He just gotta keep working.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/31/2018  11:15 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:

He got criticized for that. Then followed up with

Drove lefty with the spin finishing through contact, finishing through contact on the push, hitting contested turn around jumper, hitting contested jumper in mid range off of spin move to the left, floater after being forced left, hitting another contested turn around jumper.

While he wasn't beating guys off the dribble. He was just flat out shooting over them once he got deep enough.

To add, 2 assist after breaking down the defense, both leading to uncontested dunks. Hesitation dribbles freezing the defender allowing him to get deeper in the paint where he can comfortably shoot over them using those turn arounds, spin moves, floaters. As he adds even more strength and more confidence within his craft...

So we saw the good and the bad. He just gotta keep working.

It doesn't matter what you say. Those people who hate Frank are going to nitpick his negatives and ignore his positives. He only had two games, one good and one bad. Why just comment on the first games, but ignore the second game where he corrected many of his mistakes?

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BigDaddyG

7/31/2018  6:03 PM
Someone posted this on Reddit. At about 5:30 mark GP starts talking about his struggles scoring in the league his first two seasons, his dedication to defense early in his career, the work he put in to increase his confidence and improve his mindset, and the moment it all started to click. This is for everyone who wants to keep repeating this players don't change and Frank is a bust mantra. Keep in mind that GO was the second overall pick in his draft class and played four seasons in college. Unrelated, this show sucks vig time. The only thing it has going for it was Joy Taylor. Now that she's gone,the show has become completely unwatchable for me.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/31/2018  7:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/31/2018  7:13 PM
Its great that the Knicks have a trainer working with Frank on being more aggressive. Saying what I have about Frank's "mindset" on offense. Will be up to Frank to put what he's learned to good use. If its another season of anemic offense, dont need to hear that he needs more time to develop that mindset.

Glad to see that Fizdale has Kanter working on his perimeter shooting. Dont really know if Fizdale wanted Kanter to pick up his option. Either way he's working on Kanter expanding his game. If Perry has plans to move him, this can only help.

I hope Kanter gets the chance to prove either way he can be an asset. He's volunteered to mentor Robinson. Kanter's skill as a post player, his willingness to help Mitchell, is an added bonus.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/31/2018  7:59 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Its great that the Knicks have a trainer working with Frank on being more aggressive. Saying what I have about Frank's "mindset" on offense. Will be up to Frank to put what he's learned to good use. If its another season of anemic offense, dont need to hear that he needs more time to develop that mindset.

Glad to see that Fizdale has Kanter working on his perimeter shooting. Dont really know if Fizdale wanted Kanter to pick up his option. Either way he's working on Kanter expanding his game. If Perry has plans to move him, this can only help.

I hope Kanter gets the chance to prove either way he can be an asset. He's volunteered to mentor Robinson. Kanter's skill as a post player, his willingness to help Mitchell, is an added bonus.

Not sure I understand this statement. You have a cutoff for when you think Frank will most likely fall into a proper "mindset"?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
GustavBahler

7/31/2018  8:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/31/2018  8:35 PM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Its great that the Knicks have a trainer working with Frank on being more aggressive. Saying what I have about Frank's "mindset" on offense. Will be up to Frank to put what he's learned to good use. If its another season of anemic offense, dont need to hear that he needs more time to develop that mindset.

Not sure I understand this statement. You have a cutoff for when you think Frank will most likely fall into a proper "mindset"?

Its my preference for the Knicks cutoff for seriously considering offers to upgrade the backcourt. Not really thrilled with the 2019 FA class, at the top of the list.

If Perry sees an opportunity in a trade that can net us a legit playoff caliber, starting PG. Who isnt close to 30, I would like to see him go for it. We still need a legit starting PG to field a contender. If Frank isnt it, maybe he can help get us one.

Not looking for a finished project by the end of year 2, at any position, but a season on offense that looks nothing like Frank's rookie year. At the bottom of the league in taking it to the rim, aggressiveness.

GustavBahler

8/1/2018  12:39 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/1/2018  12:40 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Its my preference for the Knicks cutoff for seriously considering offers to upgrade the backcourt. Not really thrilled with the 2019 FA class, at the top of the list.

If Perry sees an opportunity in a trade that can net us a legit playoff caliber, starting PG. Who isnt close to 30, I would like to see him go for it. We still need a legit starting PG to field a contender. If Frank isnt it, maybe he can help get us one.

Not looking for a finished project by the end of year 2, at any position, but a season on offense that looks nothing like Frank's rookie year. At the bottom of the league in taking it to the rim, aggressiveness.

During the draft, while everyone was wondering where Doncic would go, these are the teams rumored to have asked about Ntilikina

Warrior
Spurs
Rockets
Mavericks
Heat
Nets
Clippers

Bob Myers, Steve Kerr, Pops, RC Buford, Daryl Morey, Rick Carlisle, Erik Spolestra, Pat Riley, Kenny Atkinson, Jerry West

All see something valuable in Ntilikina.

NBA draft, free agent and trade history shows you can find help at point guard all over. A wing who can defend four positions and has the tool set to be a DPOY candidate isn't so common.

In terms of positional value, wings are the most valuable/coveted by far in the NBA modern era.

Trading cost control for a veteran "at market" contract is a poor resource management strategy. (Hence, why in principle, trading Jerian Grant for Derrick Rose was a really horrible decision. Yes Grant did not work out, but as a matter of principle, the odds remain that Grant and his cost control offered better long term value than Rose)

Trading high positional value for low positional value is also a poor resource management strategy.

Selling low on an asset (if Ntilikina is everything you say he is in terms of limitations, the odds are better to let him establish more value) is a poor resource management strategy. Given he was a first round pick, the Knicks could wait until the end of Year 2 and odds are get better value. Could his value tank more? Maybe. But he's got a functional floor with his defense.

I'm not opposed to trading anyone, if it's the right market based decision given the time and place. Trading Frank N just doesn't seem to add up to that yet.

Was saying the cutoff was the end of Frank's second season. If he's still essentially the same player on offense. Its likely if there is a real change in his game, its going to take all 4 years. If it happens at all.

Thats when your question comes into play IMO. "Could his value tank more?" Believe the answer to that is a big yes.

Right now (as you pointed out) Some of the best coaches and execs, with championship pedigrees are singing Frank's praises. Talking about him like he's a rising star.

If Frank goes through another season where he takes it to the rim with the same frequency, shoots with the same frequency. The talk around the league, Im guessing will go from rising star, to the kind of strong defensive minded player you want coming off the bench. Which description would get us more for Frank?

As I said, just want to see him rise from the bottom of the league when it comes to his aggressiveness. A few more points a game, a few more takes to the rim, nevermind his completion pct.

Otherwise, with all these young players being brought in, Frank is going to lose minutes to a legit two way player. Thats when his value would really sink.

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
8/1/2018  6:32 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/1/2018  6:35 AM
Well I am a Frank fan yet if he plays 30+ minutes per nite, there will Be expectations on the offensive end. As far as Kanter is concerned, you can’t teach speed and lateral movement. Mitchell will take his job. He will be one of 9 Knicks - not counting Troy Williams, Beasley, or Kyle OQuinn- that won’t be on the roster in a year.
1/ Lee
2/ THJr
3/ Noah
4/ Mudiay
5/ Mário H
6/ Dotson
7/ Hicks
8/ Kanter
9/ Baker
10/ Thomas

It’s a business and the cap will be real at that point
Keepers:
1/ Kornet
2/ Trier
3/ Burke
4/ Frank
5/ Robinson
6/ KP
7/ Knox
8/ top 5 Draft pick
9/ Free Agent
10/Vonleh

13 Gone
The above 10 are our starters and rotation.

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
8/1/2018  7:23 AM
How do you think the Knicks are getting rid of Noah, Lee and Timmy without taking anything back?
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
knicks1248
8/1/2018  8:30 AM
The style of play that fiz wants to play, and the style of play frank is comfortable playing is the biggest concern for me.

Judging by the 2018 draft picks, there's no way frank would have been a Fiz or Perry pick. His play this season is going to dictate his playing time, role and future with the knicks.

ES
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/1/2018  10:28 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Was saying the cutoff was the end of Frank's second season. If he's still essentially the same player on offense. Its likely if there is a real change in his game, its going to take all 4 years. If it happens at all.

Weird to have that opinion when just a few posts up is Gary Payton, describing how at 22 it took him 2 years before he figured out his offensive game and how pathetic it was during his first 2.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
knicks1248
8/1/2018  10:51 AM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Was saying the cutoff was the end of Frank's second season. If he's still essentially the same player on offense. Its likely if there is a real change in his game, its going to take all 4 years. If it happens at all.

Weird to have that opinion when just a few posts up is Gary Payton, describing how at 22 it took him 2 years before he figured out his offensive game and how pathetic it was during his first 2.

How does GP's development relate to franks? they're back rounds are nothing a like

ES
GustavBahler

8/1/2018  10:57 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/1/2018  11:03 AM
martin wrote:

Not sure why. The bolded raised the possibility that Frank turns the corner on offense in the second half of his rookie deal.

The part you left out was where I said that there was some risk involved in giving him all 4 years to develop, as far as his trade value.

You're suggesting that Frank might have the same breakthrough in his third season as Payton. Payton had something that Frank might not have, an attitude. How many players in NBA history had the same motor, the same attitude as Payton? He was a bundle of energy. It was a big driver of his game.

If you're suggesting that Frank could make that same leap, also turn into a player with that same edge. Its possible, but unlikely.

BigDaddyG

8/1/2018  11:27 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

Not sure why. The bolded raised the possibility that Frank turns the corner on offense in the second half of his rookie deal.

The part you left out was where I said that there was some risk involved in giving him all 4 years to develop, as far as his trade value.

You're suggesting that Frank might have the same breakthrough in his third season as Payton. Payton had something that Frank might not have, an attitude. How many players in NBA history had the same motor, the same attitude as Payton? He was a bundle of energy. It was a big driver of his game.

If you're suggesting that Frank could make that same leap, also turn into a player with that same edge. Its possible, but unlikely.

GP says in the interview that he wasn't aggressive offensively his first two years. His shot wasn't effective and he didn't drive the ball. He had to build his confidence up piece by piece. The only thing he had any confidence in coming into the league was his defense. You don't see any parallels? You don't compete on D like Frank if you're soft lol

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
8/1/2018  11:31 AM
Noah and Lee (Who is rumored to be heading to Houston)will require us taking back expiring as well. Tim is tough and will depend on his performance through first half of this season. $39 mm left at that point. There will be room on the roster.
BigDaddyG

8/1/2018  11:34 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:

How does GP's development relate to franks? they're back rounds are nothing a like

They're both lottery picks who came into the league with games centered around defense. They also had to develop their offensive games. GP said he had to learn how to use his body to take advantage of smaller points. He also said he had to develop the confidence to become more agressive. Isn't that the same Brickley said he's working on with Frank?

ARticle on Chris Brickley, talks about working with Frank and Kanter

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy