knicks signing Vonleh? Really
Author Thread
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
7/25/2018  10:38 PM
From NBAdraft.net:

Outlook: Could turn into a huge threat on both the pick-and-roll and pick-and-pop due to his mobility, strength and touch … His upside is potentially at All-Star or borderline All-Star level … Seen as a likely top 10 pick and a relative lock for the lottery ... A hard working kid with a lot of upside, the only drawback is that he may take time for things to click and could lose confidence if he is not successful in his first 2-3 seasons. A candidate to disappoint initially and break out with his second NBA team ...

In this case, the Knicks would be what, his 4th team? Wow. At the price of close to nothing, why not? :)

I spent some time watching Vonleh highlights - he's a lot beefier than I remembered. Lots of highlight slams. It seems as if his coaches in general have asked him to keep things simple and to be a lunchpail sort of big. Rarely was he asked to shoot from outside or create in ISO. Looks like he has good hands, explosive dunker. He probably takes too many 3's, though. Interestingly, looking at his stats - given the wingspan you'd expect more steals or blocks or something tangible.

The upside of this that things might just start to click with him with a staff that's good at developing young talent. Fizdale has obviously convinced the staff of his teaching prowess - give him lemons, he'll make you lemonade.

At this point, the Knick roster has transformed from a team in limbo with Carmelo to a young, long, athletic team.

I'd be a little worried for Fizdale in the sense that he has a bit of a Coach Calipari-like conundrum. A lot of talented players who need time to develop, but at the same time it's not so clear who the best players are... and which ones just help you win.

We might have the makings of the 2003-2004 NBA Champion Pistons, with a go-to-player by committee approach. Maybe we can sport a team that's able to play hard from beginning to end with little drop-off in play when we go to the bench.

Or we might have the makings of a terribly mediocre team where the rotations are too flexible, where players are frustrated by their roles changing game to game, and the players & team chemistry fail to develop.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/26/2018  10:26 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
Panos wrote:
martin wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Wow. Another former lottery pick that is in his early twenties. Nice.
just what we need, another Noah
Some speculation on twitter that this means a Lee trade is coming soon. Just speculation.
I think it just means we're stretching j. Noah in September
Why? You don't gain ANYTHING from stretching Noah until the next move of filling his cap space is determined. In fact, you handcuff youself

You gain one roster spot

Thanks captain obvious. You can do that to any number of players on the team without also incurring a $6M cap hit for 3 years.

It's like some ppl don't understand that, and i think it's a little more than 6, it's more like 8 or 9 mill.

Its OK to be wrong or understand your not including all the facts. Its just funny as hell when your so sure of yourself......

"Noah is guaranteed $18,530,000 next season and $19,295,000 the following season. By waiting until Sept. 1, the Knicks would pay Noah’s entire 2018-19 salary that season (when they don’t project to have cap space, anyway) and then take $6,431,667 cap hits each of the following three seasons."

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/05/14/report-knicks-still-planning-to-amnesty-joakim-noah-on-sept-1/

Your not exactly incorrect but your far from being the defacto expert you elevate yourself to.
BTW, I doubled up on my meds today and the clarity is stunning!

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

7/26/2018  2:04 PM
I like the Vonleh signing...little pain, possible gain.

If you sign X number of former lottery picks who are still young to 1 yr contracts, and 1/2 of them prove their worth because they've finally come into their own as players or found a system that best utilizes their respective talents, you have done pretty darn well.

I like this approach. I'm watching games this year and looking for growth and evolution in players...I don't care about winning or losing, as long as I see progress.

Best case scenario? If we lose a ton of games but many of them are close, and we see improvement in all of our young players, this will be a successful season.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
technomaster
USA
7/26/2018  3:27 PM
@WaltLongmire I think it's a smart tactic to pursue these early busts and see if we can catch them on the upswing. These 22-23 year olds like Hejonza and Vonleh might just be coming out of college in the good old days.

It's an interesting to debate whether staying in school for 2-4 years vs going pro 1-and-done style is better developmentally. Would Vonleh have developed better under the tutelage of a college coach vs generally less polished competition than the NBA? Would first mastering the competition at the college ranks and enjoying spending time as a college kid do more for maturity than training against pros?

In any case, as we look back and read their pre-draft scouting reports, one has to wonder whether they've been damaged by their formative experience in the pros... or if their initial scouting reports were just plain wrong.

Thinking of another young Trailblazer big man... Jermaine O'Neal. He looked like a complete bust after 4 years. Struggled to earn minutes, averaging around 11mpg, 4ppg, 3rpg - though taking a closer look, that projected to around 12ppg/10rpg/2+bpg over 36mpg. The Pacers gave him minutes and the rest is history. 6 time all-star.

Vonleh's per 36 numbers for his career to date have been 9.6ppg, 11.0rpg, .8bpg. Not too far off, though in spite of his amazing length, he hasn't emerged as a shot blocker.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

7/27/2018  2:28 PM
technomaster wrote:@WaltLongmire I think it's a smart tactic to pursue these early busts and see if we can catch them on the upswing. These 22-23 year olds like Hejonza and Vonleh might just be coming out of college in the good old days.

It's an interesting to debate whether staying in school for 2-4 years vs going pro 1-and-done style is better developmentally. Would Vonleh have developed better under the tutelage of a college coach vs generally less polished competition than the NBA? Would first mastering the competition at the college ranks and enjoying spending time as a college kid do more for maturity than training against pros?

In any case, as we look back and read their pre-draft scouting reports, one has to wonder whether they've been damaged by their formative experience in the pros... or if their initial scouting reports were just plain wrong.

Thinking of another young Trailblazer big man... Jermaine O'Neal. He looked like a complete bust after 4 years. Struggled to earn minutes, averaging around 11mpg, 4ppg, 3rpg - though taking a closer look, that projected to around 12ppg/10rpg/2+bpg over 36mpg. The Pacers gave him minutes and the rest is history. 6 time all-star.

Vonleh's per 36 numbers for his career to date have been 9.6ppg, 11.0rpg, .8bpg. Not too far off, though in spite of his amazing length, he hasn't emerged as a shot blocker.

Yup...

Guys who came into the league before the 1 & done rule were 22 & 23, with 4 years of college ball. Hell, freshmen were not on the varsity team back in the day. I did some kind of analysis looking at the ages of players in certain years...pretty sure 22/23 was the common age for draft picks, with the occasional 21 yr old.

Experience and simple physical maturity make a big difference.

If you played on a top program against other top teams, or had an excellent college coach, you were much closer to being NBA ready. O'Neal was a classic example of a kid who needed experience.

Going to get worse if they get rid of the 1 yr rule, and kids can enter straight from HS, but that seems to be where they are going.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
PassTheBall
Member: #5872
Norway
7/28/2018  9:10 AM
Vonleh is just a training camp signing with a long shot at making the roster. Still has a shot though but a trade or really poor play by the others would have to preset itself.
/PassTheBall
technomaster
USA
7/28/2018  11:46 AM
Well, this sets up Isaiah Hicks and Luke Kornet, and heck, all of the swingmen for some sleepless nights during training camp. At some point not that long ago, talent evaluators deemed him a lottery type talent and potential future star in the NBA. Can some tips and tricks under the tutelage get more out of Vonleh than a future as as deep bench big?

doomed
Member: #1078
USA
7/28/2018  4:12 PM
knicks1248 wrote:is he a better option then beasely, or did fiz have something against beasely from his HEAT days?

Beasley is hot garbage. Let him JR Smith his way through a nice nba career somewhere else. We’re all stocked up on crazy here.

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
7/29/2018  11:31 AM
Vonleh just needs to develop his jumpshot and defensive intensity. It was a decent signing.
Trust the Process
knicks signing Vonleh? Really

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy