I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/23/2018  1:56 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
thats a classy exit. Not a sour note. Good for Isola.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
7/23/2018  2:01 PM
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Good for Isola. While I don’t like to see anybody lose their job he was partly responsible for driving the paper into the ground with his sometime ridiculous writing. I still don’t get why he shows up at ESPN brings nothing to the table. Just not a like able personality.

CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
7/23/2018  2:04 PM
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
I agree. I think he is in a pretty good place. He has the morning show on nba radio and is on espn quite a bit.
smackeddog
Member: #883
7/23/2018  2:30 PM
I think hell benefit from changing jobs, his work was very poor for most of the last few years- needs a fresh start. But on a human level, getting laid off is a horrible experience, happened to me a few years ago.
knicks1248
Member: #582
7/23/2018  2:35 PM
jesus, from 35 to 9...
ES
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

7/23/2018  2:38 PM
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Good for Isola. While I don’t like to see anybody lose their job he was partly responsible for driving the paper into the ground with his sometime ridiculous writing. I still don’t get why he shows up at ESPN brings nothing to the table. Just not a like able personality.

I agree with you... he should land somewhere though because he's one of the first PTI fill-ins

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Cartman718
Member: #1694

7/23/2018  5:20 PM
isn't he on espn's late afternoon show the one with scores...forget the name around the horn or something
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

7/23/2018  5:28 PM
This doesn't have anything to do with the quality of Isola's writing -- his opinions may stink most of the time but neither is the issue. This round of layoffs is just a further sign of the times. The day of the newspaper is fading into the sunset.
Cartman718
Member: #1694

7/23/2018  6:52 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/23/2018  6:53 PM
KnickDanger wrote:This doesn't have anything to do with the quality of Isola's writing -- his opinions may stink most of the time but neither is the issue. This round of layoffs is just a further sign of the times. The day of the newspaper is fading into the sunset.

yup the fact that some blogs now get invited to press conferences is a sign of the times. print = bye bye. also more env friendly.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Welpee
Member: #6239

7/23/2018  8:45 PM
KnickDanger wrote:This doesn't have anything to do with the quality of Isola's writing -- his opinions may stink most of the time but neither is the issue. This round of layoffs is just a further sign of the times. The day of the newspaper is fading into the sunset.
First they start charging to access the internet version of the paper, now this? Isola will be fine. The Daily News? They're about the go under. Nine staff members to cover NY sports? Good luck with that.
CrushAlot
USA
7/23/2018  9:19 PM
Welpee wrote:
First they start charging to access the internet version of the paper, now this? Isola will be fine. The Daily News? They're about the go under. Nine staff members to cover NY sports? Good luck with that.
This. Before the internet, getting the Post and Daily News was a must. Incredible coverage.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

7/23/2018  10:16 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Welpee wrote:
This. Before the internet, getting the Post and Daily News was a must. Incredible coverage.

35 down to 9 for sports...holy shyte.

Also got rid of a ton of folks doing politics and opinion.

Don't read the papers much anymore...at least hard copies, but the Daily News had a fine tradition, for the most part, especially reporting local politics, and it will now become a shell of itself.

Some of you might be too young to remember the Newsday, before it got bought out years ago. They also won some Pulitzer's and had their own international news reporters. Pretty sure they got a Pulitzer for their work on the Bosnian crisis and the ethnic cleansing which was going on in the 90s.

Somewhere in the house I also have an early 1970s copy of the NY Post, before it became the rag it is today. It was once a solid paper.

Sad times.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
dodger78
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #250
Germany
7/24/2018  3:16 AM
I guess this is a part of the technological change of the past couple of years... more to come for sure so...
Honestly I dont feel for that dude... I called him out on Twitter once regarding his "fluffy no content tweets during the Wordcup" and after answering some nonsense he decided to simply block me instead of standing up as a man for his own work/words... I got no respect for that!

Thing is that online media has obviously generally led to a couple of changes...
- higher frequency of "news" even if there are no real news so more and more unstubstantial nonsense is published
you gotta do this as ppl are in need of their hourly (not daily anymore) fix
- everybody feels inclined to comment and the quality gap between pro and amateur journalist has kinda diminished
- money gets spread on a way broader space of outlets/sources/"journalists" etc

I hate to see the classic print media go but on the other side there already is sooo much more sources available stepping in... (just dont like the quality of them most of the time... e.g. filtering through the dirt is so much more difficult!).
At the same time nothing you can do to change this development and as a sports journalist from Germany just wrote me yesterday on the topic... there always will be jobs in the business.

Welpee
Member: #6239

7/24/2018  3:27 PM
dodger78 wrote:I guess this is a part of the technological change of the past couple of years... more to come for sure so...
Honestly I dont feel for that dude... I called him out on Twitter once regarding his "fluffy no content tweets during the Wordcup" and after answering some nonsense he decided to simply block me instead of standing up as a man for his own work/words... I got no respect for that!

Thing is that online media has obviously generally led to a couple of changes...
- higher frequency of "news" even if there are no real news so more and more unstubstantial nonsense is published
- everybody feels inclined to comment and the quality gap between pro and amateur journalist has kinda diminished

I hate to see the classic print media go but on the other side there already is sooo much more sources available stepping in... (just dont like the quality of them most of the time... e.g. filtering through the dirt is so much more difficult!).
At the same time nothing you can do to change this development and as a sports journalist from Germany just wrote me yesterday on the topic... there always will be jobs in the business.

I think we're in a very dangerous zone where the balance between "news" and "commentary/entertainment" is swinging too far away from news. One day there are going to be serious consequences to folks preferring to hear what they want to hear instead of getting the truth.
CrushAlot
USA
7/24/2018  3:53 PM
dodger78 wrote:I guess this is a part of the technological change of the past couple of years... more to come for sure so...

Wow. Totally different experience with Frank for me. He always responded to me on twitter.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/24/2018  5:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/24/2018  5:39 PM
Feels like the character of New York City is bleeding out. Talking about centuries of tradition vanishing. Feel bad for all the writers, editors, everyone being laid off, And those facing the difficult decision of staying or going. Sad days.

Isola sounds like he's doing fine. I read that he had visited the paper 3 times in a dozen years. Told it was too depressing.

Between that, being on the outs at MSG, and the constant Knicks dumpster fire,.probably explains the writing.

Sounded more optimistic in the last few months. Frankie Ice is big time now, he'll be fine lol.

As for Tronc, they hired someone with no NY experience to save the paper. Hasnt been a formula for success in other markets.

CrushAlot
USA
7/25/2018  12:09 AM
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/25/2018  2:28 PM
One door closes but many have opened up for him. there are many outlets and he has established his brand over the years. I always liked him but he is a bit antagonistic in his content which people like.
Was Briggs cut too? He has gone dark on us. Was he banned, or did he take his ball and go home after not playing by the rules?
Isola one of the 50 guys cut from the Daily News

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy