[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Trey Burke playing @ the Legendary Dyckman Summer League Tournament
Author Thread
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/22/2018  5:33 PM
For my money, this is our current and future pg!!! Dont forget, Alfonso (Trey) Burke was player of the year in the NCAA so there is no doubt he is very talented. He came into the league as a lotto pick, got humbled, and now is out to prove himself. Keep in mind he is only 26, and is still getting better. He was by far out best guard during the later part of the season and was arguably our best overall player down the stretch. I'm really, pulling for this kid!!!

AUTOADVERT
Jmpasq
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4182

7/22/2018  7:03 PM
I like Burke but how much of his play is just empty numbers? I would like to keep him as a 20 minute bench guard but a starter on a high level playoff team? That is very doubtful.
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Uptown

7/22/2018  7:48 PM
Jmpasq wrote:I like Burke but how much of his play is just empty numbers? I would like to keep him as a 20 minute bench guard but a starter on a high level playoff team? That is very doubtful.

Empty Stats? Nah, disagree!! He was putting up numbers and getting to all of his spots on the court against allstar level guards....

....We were no where near the playoffs last season. Lets make the playoffs first, before dreaming about being a high level playoff team. In the meantime, Trey should be our starter!!!

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/22/2018  10:14 PM
If coach Fiz can see a future, he'll get a chance.
If not, we'll set him free. Simple really.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/23/2018  2:39 AM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

7/23/2018  9:37 AM
Never been sold on trey burke. I think he can certainly show flashes but offense but not his oveeall game
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/23/2018  10:46 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:I like Burke but how much of his play is just empty numbers? I would like to keep him as a 20 minute bench guard but a starter on a high level playoff team? That is very doubtful.

Some other complications.

Burke did not go a full NBA regular season grind. He did play, but against lesser competition and not at an NBA schedule game pace. The term is "fresh legs"

The D/G League does not test at the rate of the NBA for PEDs/drugs. Burke did a better job of juicing, he looked stronger, but if that's sustainable all season is another story ( They are all juicing. All of them. All of them. I'll say all of them one more time)

Given the talent deficit and injury situation, Burke could call his own number more often last year, but this year, there is more talent on the roster. He's simply not great running an offense and has never shown that capability consistently.

26 is young for real life terms or other careers. In the NBA though, what you see is what you get past your third year. His mid range shooting has improve a lot. I'll give him credit for that. He was playing like a guy wanting a new contract. I'll give him that too.

I don't know if you can have him and Kanter on the floor at the same time. That's too much of zero defense to overcome. The pair has no chance against even a mediocre basic NBA pick and roll.

He's a Knick. Everyone is going to hope for the best. But he was available for a reason to start. His record of incompetence is longer than his record of being useful ( Negating volume. If you get enough minutes and take enough shots, you will generate counting stats of some kind eventually)

Some of this will come down to Tier 5 of free agency. If there are still enough bargains around, strong chance someone more useful can help at the vets minimum.

He looks for his own shot way too much. And honestly, I'm not sure it's a distinction he's making on the floor. (i.e. he's not shown he can play another way) His ability to score and create his own shot do not justify him calling his own number as frequently as he does. The NCAA was a long time ago for him. (It's like saying a chick was hot when she was a sophomore in college, but now she's 5 years removed from that timeline. Now she's fat. She was hot back then! OK, back then, Kevin Spacey was the headliner in some some show called House Of Cards on some upstart streaming service called Netflix. Bill Cosby was also still beloved. People here were worrying about The Sanchize. )

Many of you went to college. Your college background might help you get your first job out of college. Maybe the first couple. In a few instances, the kind of education you get might push the narrative of your entire career ( like being an accountant) But in most cases, for most people, at some point, what you did in college begins to matter less than your experience in the actual working world. Also your networking skills. The people you know. Etc, etc. Burke's college pedigree is meaningless at this point with regards to his NBA career.

I'm sorry, who on the Knicks played good defense under JH and Rambust.

Last time i heard, fiz isn't looking for a traditional pg in his system.

lets be honest, for a every team there are about 2 or 3 solid defenders, the rest are halfway decent,but the system and philosophy is what matters most. we had almost no atlectic players on the roster last season other than KP(half of season)THJ (miss 2 months) and troy.

Do we have a better option ahead of him?

when you say he looks for his shot way to much, do you mean more then CURRY,IRVING, WESTBROOK, CP3, ect, the average to above average Guard in the NBA takes 17 to 20 shots per game, burke avg 13 attempts.

can we also add the way they jerked him around with his minutes and role on the team, 15 min one game, 41 the next, no minutes the next, 20 minutes the next, started the next, played in only the 4th qtr the next game..cmon dude, give him a break.

ES
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/23/2018  11:10 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:Never been sold on trey burke. I think he can certainly show flashes but offense but not his oveeall game

Yeah, I'm not sure he should start, but he should get starter type minutes in the beginning. I think I like Frank's versatility coming off the bench, but a THJ/Burke starting backcourt has the potential to be real bad. Trey did put in the effort on D last season. Size will always be an issue, but he was pesky. But his ability to switch, especially next to THJ, will be an issue. Also, is it the board concensus that Mudiay won't factor in this season? It's still too early to call who our starter should.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
knicks1248
7/23/2018  11:19 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:Never been sold on trey burke. I think he can certainly show flashes but offense but not his oveeall game

Yeah, I'm not sure he should start, but he should get starter type minutes in the beginning. I think I like Frank's versatility coming off the bench, but a THJ/Burke starting backcourt has the potential to be real bad. Trey did put in the effort on D last season. Size will always be an issue, but he was pesky. But his ability to switch, especially next to THJ, will be an issue. Also, is it the board concensus that Mudiay won't factor in this season? It's still too early to call who our starter should.

It's like a 99.9% chance burke is our starter, ya'll are acting like we got better options on the roster..lol, we have none, zero, nada. Are you going to sit burke and stat frank (avg 5 point) or mudiay who is mystery every time he steps on the floor.

ES
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/23/2018  11:19 AM
I like him but not as a replacement to Frank. I like defense more. I think pairing him with Frank is the way to go. Maybe a Vinnie Johnson role for Burke is the way to go.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

7/23/2018  11:20 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:

dont get me wrong im happy he is on the team but i wouldnt give him the majority minutes
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/23/2018  11:24 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

dont get me wrong im happy he is on the team but i wouldnt give him the majority minutes
Who would you give the majority of the minutes to? In regards to Mudiay, not sure that he is going to be in the nba much longer. I still remember Jason Kidd saying Mudiay was going to better than he was during Mudiay's rookie year. I would think Mudiay goes into camp third on the depth chart at the point if the Knicks go back to having Frank play the point.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
7/23/2018  12:18 PM
Who ever earns it earns it.Burke def humbled himself accepting a G-league role. Then put in the work to become a better player. Can always root for guys like that.

It's up to Frank to beat out Burke and Mudiay. And it's up to Burke to show that last season wasn't a fluke. May the best man win and hopefully the Knicks benefit from the results.

Man does he look like Iverson.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
knicks1248
7/23/2018  12:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/23/2018  12:28 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:Who ever earns it earns it.Burke def humbled himself accepting a G-league role. Then put in the work to become a better player. Can always root for guys like that.

It's up to Frank to beat out Burke and Mudiay. And it's up to Burke to show that last season wasn't a fluke. May the best man win and hopefully the Knicks benefit from the results.

I can't get over how much he does, everything about his game and looks(except the steals) is AI

ES
Uptown

7/23/2018  12:52 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/23/2018  12:57 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:Who ever earns it earns it.Burke def humbled himself accepting a G-league role. Then put in the work to become a better player. Can always root for guys like that.

^^^^
This....I do not want the Knick coaching staff handing over the job to Frank because he was drafted to be the future pg. Burke was our best player down the stretch, and he runs the point much better than Frank did last year. Burke puts constant pressure on the defense, plays down hill and fits the description of NBA lead guards of today. If he is the best lead guard during Training camp, which all signs points to him being so, Burke needs to be our day 1 starter.

He was mos def humbled last season, especially when you consider that he out played everyone in the Knicks backcourt and when we went out and added Mudiay, for some strange reason he jumped ahead of Burke on the depth chart. Burke didn;t complain, just kept putting in work while Mudiay threw the ball alla round the gym and failed to finish in the paint. Trey finished the season strong. i'm rooting for him big time!

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/23/2018  3:13 PM
lets be candid about Burke.

He put up some #s but was not great out of college. Namely he shot too often and missed too often. He was also pushed out as Utah I believe was enamored with Exum as the future guy.

Burke will play a big role next year for a few reasons.

What we know about Burke (good)
He's amazing with the ball. He simply never turns it over.
He can get into the paint at will and break you down with the dribble
He can score in bunches and take over
While not a great long shooter has excellent mid range game

What we know about Burke (bad)
He calls his own name quite a bit. Before this year that hurt him.
He's going to struggle on d. Effort isnt a problem, he's got a small body.
Below average finisher at the rim
Below average 3 point range

What we dont know about Burke
His shooting. Its simply the difference between him being a + or 1 player. If you are not a good defensive player AND you shoot a poor % your time in this league is going to be brief which is why he was brought in to play in the G league.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/burketr01.html
Burke's career shooting %s show a player trending up and finding where his best shots come. The one that strikes me as not sustainable is his %s from the long 2. Last year he shot his fewest % of 3s, and he shot an incredible .566 from 16>3. Is that possibly sustainable? I dont think it is but he deserves the chance to prove it.

He brings plenty of good and if he's an efficient scorer he's an excellent player. That has not been the case so far (small stretch last year aside).

Uptown... Im rooting for him also

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
anrst
Member: #1054
USA
7/23/2018  3:34 PM
why is he playing in this scrub event?
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/23/2018  4:52 PM
anrst wrote:why is he playing in this scrub event?

Chris McCollough was there along with some former D1 stars. Probably owed someone a favor.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Cartman718
Member: #1694

7/23/2018  6:51 PM
Burke is like Nate....great to have energy at his size and shooting coming off the bench and causing havoc, but he's not any kind of starter in this league. If we are to develop Frank and groom him to be the starter, we must start sooner rather than later. Whoever starts the season as starter doesn't matter, my prediction is that by mid-Jan, Frank is the starter with Mudiay a close second. PGs in the NBA will run circles around Burke's lack of defense.

Bottom line is that Burke is good for our draftees to understand that you can get sent to G-League if you don't work hard, but you can also sent back or cut (like Troy Williams...who by the way, I think we could bring back if we could get someone on the planet to ask for Ron Baker). But at the same time, Burke is bad for the team because he doesn't have the physical tools to fit into the defensive culture. He's never going to play on a championship team, he's not even going to play on a team with championship aspirations in today's NBA. He's a nice to have when you have people injured and you need firepower to wait the tide out. We don't have a shortage of guards. Would you rather develop Trier (who has been god awful in the eye test during summer league) or invest in a guard who hasn't done much in his first 5 years in the NBA (yes THJr too but at least takes charges on defense).

Frank has been in the league only 1 year and is already outplaying both these guys on D. If that's going to be our culture, defense, then that's where we have to start isn't it? Frank's shooting steadily improved over the season and with an offseason of workouts and experience, it's only going to get better at 19. At present, he is 6 and 7 years younger than Burke and THJr respectively.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/23/2018  9:00 PM
anrst wrote:why is he playing in this scrub event?

I wish Frank would

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Trey Burke playing @ the Legendary Dyckman Summer League Tournament

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy