[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks waive Troy Williams
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/16/2018  3:10 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
martin wrote:WHOA, does this even make sense? Why not wait til Opening night.... unless there is a follow up move?

Let him get a contract and team that he likes?

Don't the Knicks lack SFs?

Also, does this mean they are keeping Noah on the roster for the season? They have talked about wanting to bring in a high character vet at the 4/5. Maybe that is the follow up move. I didn't expect this though.

Coach Fiz got extended looks at him in Memphis and Vegas. Maybe there's something about Troy's game bother him. Knicks did Troy a favor by cutting him now. He'll catch on with another team. But thete's no denying that he fit on this team. I'm not comfortable going in with Lance Hezonja and Knox as our only defensive options at forward.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/16/2018  3:19 PM
knicks1248 wrote:Baker is probably going to get waived like KUZ, I heard perry and fiz talking about still adding a vet big and how thats very important to the development, then berman wrote an article about baker . troy makes peanuts, and with they way he played in summer league, it would be kind of be cruel to keep him and he can possible missed out on more money and a larger role. chances are troy requested the release

If we add a veteran big, then I doubt Noah is in the rotation, if not the roster. We already have two expensive, veteran bigs. Nevermind their skills. We also have Kornet.

My guess is that they believe they have vets on the roster already who can pick up the slack. We arent going far without KP, dont believe we need to add another vet, will only take time from Robinson, Hezonya, Kornet, among others.

We need to see who (outside of Robinson) is worth keeping.

Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
7/16/2018  3:26 PM
When was Troy's salary guaranteed?
PURE KNICKS LOVE
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/16/2018  3:43 PM
I liked Troy last season with his athletic ability but his low basketball IQ he showed in the SL soured me on him. Not totally surprised on this move but I get it. They are probably giving him a chance to get picked up by another team earlier to give him a fighting chance.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/16/2018  3:54 PM
Andrew wrote:When was Troy's salary guaranteed?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

7/16/2018  4:21 PM
Wow, unexpected. There is yet another 2105 lottery pick still unsigned if we want to add to our collection. Would fit the young player with upside needing a change of scenery theme. Jahlil Okafor anyone?
TheGame
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1154
USA
7/16/2018  5:05 PM
The only way this makes sense is the Knicks were trying to give him an opportunity to get picked up by another team. But even then, we actually needed the guy. Knox is not proven. We still only have one true small forward on the team (Knox).
Trust the Process
smackeddog
Member: #883
7/16/2018  5:06 PM
Weird timing, unless Perry has decided that’s it for the offseason
Chandler
Member: #6197

7/16/2018  5:11 PM
does seem weird

maybe he didn't do the homework they asked

or some other backstory

having said that, does seem weird to let him go given he otherwise seemed to fit some attributes FO liked

(5)(5)
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/16/2018  5:41 PM
Rookie wrote:Wow, unexpected. There is yet another 2105 lottery pick still unsigned if we want to add to our collection. Would fit the young player with upside needing a change of scenery theme. Jahlil Okafor anyone?

no!! enes does everything he does better, and is probably 10x more mature. plus neither of them are the type of center we want going forward.

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/16/2018  5:46 PM
i’m fine with this move. i like this model of picking up lots of young reclamation projects and then being brutally honest about cutting bait if they don’t show what they want from them.
LivingLegend
Member: #1645

7/16/2018  6:00 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:

Folks know I'm a big fan of Baker, but I don't feel good about Williams going and Baker still being around, even if Troy is a little too undisciplined as a player when given the freedom.

Williams was pretty awful in summer league...basically playing completely out of control like a chicken with his head chopped off. I think this was his 3rd or 4th summer league but I could be off.

I believe I heard a quote from Fiz on his perfect player and one characteristic was high b-ball IQ and that isn’t Troy.

Also believe Fiz cut Troy in Memphis and he has an unguaranteed deal

LivingLegend
Member: #1645

7/16/2018  6:06 PM
Troy also got visibly upset “flailing his arms and yelling” at Trier in one game — also on another occasion he committ2 straight turnovers and in each instance made gestures of disgust with his teammates on the second turnover he jogg3d back and the other team for a layup on his man.

Not sure if there is history with he and Fiz from Memphis or Troy knew going into Vegas he was being showcas3d but it was odd he didn’t start at the 3ahead of Trier or Dotson.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

7/16/2018  6:44 PM
martin wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:Over Hicks?

There has to be deeper meaning.

2-way players don't count towards the 15 man roster?

Do you mean players on two way contracts? Or actual two way players?

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

7/16/2018  6:47 PM
I thought he played ok in summer league while others were killing him. I think our lack of depth at SF was already converging, so it's a strange move. Anyway he was third string at best
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/16/2018  6:56 PM
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
martin wrote:WHOA, does this even make sense? Why not wait til Opening night.... unless there is a follow up move?

Let him get a contract and team that he likes?

Don't the Knicks lack SFs?

Also, does this mean they are keeping Noah on the roster for the season? They have talked about wanting to bring in a high character vet at the 4/5. Maybe that is the follow up move. I didn't expect this though.

I don't think there is much the Knicks can do with Noah at this point that would yield them an advantage until the NEXT move - with the available cap space - is determined.

I did forget about Hezonja, maybe the Knicks feel Mario, Knox, and a small ball version of Lee/THJr/Dot/Baker will be getting minutes at the SG/SF spots.

Also, maybe this was a favor to Troy to latch on to another team sooner rather than later.

It could be a favor but this team lacks true SF talent, I think it would behove the Knicks to keep young cheap players on the roster

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/16/2018  8:13 PM
So we cut Troy Williams and keep a useless player like Ron Baker?!!!
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/16/2018  8:14 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Thats weird. Hope this doesnt mean Hardaway at the 3 again. Hope it doesnt mean Knox is going to be starting right away. It was only SL. Troy showed enough last season to overlook the mistakes. Like to see what this means for the rotation. Maybe Hezonja is going to be playing some 3. Fizdale wanted a big lineup.

Why shouldn't Knox start on a team without KP and is going nowhere next season?!

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/16/2018  8:32 PM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

7/16/2018  9:39 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

Folks know I'm a big fan of Baker, but I don't feel good about Williams going and Baker still being around, even if Troy is a little too undisciplined as a player when given the freedom.

Williams was pretty awful in summer league...basically playing completely out of control like a chicken with his head chopped off. I think this was his 3rd or 4th summer league but I could be off.

I believe I heard a quote from Fiz on his perfect player and one characteristic was high b-ball IQ and that isn’t Troy.

Also believe Fiz cut Troy in Memphis and he has an unguaranteed deal

Strange...he was under control last year, as we played more of a "system" on offense.

I was critical of our SL team because we seemed to have no system on offense.

I wonder if Troy was hurt because he had no system to keep him under control. Have to say that I saw too much 1/1 ball in SL...I wonder if Williams was actually hurt with having too much freedom on the court, and less constraint.

He really did look out of control at times, much more so than last year.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Knicks waive Troy Williams

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy