[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Between Knox, Robinson and Trier, who do you think will have the best rookie year?
Author Thread
Ira
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #91
7/11/2018  9:41 AM
I know it's early and summer league doesn't translate well to the regular season, but that's what makes it challenging to try to predict. While I think Knox has the most upside of the three, I think Trier's age and experience will help him have the best rookie season of the three. In order for that to happen, the Knicks will have to give him a regular contract instead of the two way contract he signed for, but I expect that to happen. Trier is too good for the G League.
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/11/2018  10:13 AM
Trier is decent but can't go too crazy about him. At best, he develops into a solid offensive backup guard. Knox has a chance to be very good, and sooner rather than later. He should start and flash brilliance at times, while disappearing at times. Robinson should develop into a rotation player sooner too, but probably never a starter. He's a great athlete though and we need that up front after centers like Kanter, KOQ, Noah, Lopez etc.
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
7/11/2018  10:24 AM
Ira wrote:I know it's early and summer league doesn't translate well to the regular season, but that's what makes it challenging to try to predict. While I think Knox has the most upside of the three, I think Trier's age and experience will help him have the best rookie season of the three. In order for that to happen, the Knicks will have to give him a regular contract instead of the two way contract he signed for, but I expect that to happen. Trier is too good for the G League.

Really? What the F*** are you smoking? Step away from the pipe. Opinions are like *******s, everyone has one

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
7/11/2018  10:35 AM
Trier is brain-dead, that's how he was in college, that's how he is in summer league. Maybe Fiz will give him a brain, but I doubt it.
Rose is not the answer.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/11/2018  10:53 AM
Trier could put up some numbers...in the G-League. There's no chance he plays for the big club, barring a slew of injuries. Robinson is talented but raw. I expect Knox to get the minutes and opportunity.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
7/11/2018  11:55 AM
KNox.

The others will not be in the NBA all year. Trier is a G league player. Robinson too but his athleticism may keep him in the NBA.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

7/11/2018  11:56 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/11/2018  12:07 PM
I think Knox will have the best year of the 3, but the Trier hatred I'm reading at times is quite astounding.

He's our player now, and while he's developing on D, he's already shown some NBA level offensive skills. He can shoot...he is a good 1/1 player, he goes to the basket and finishes or draws fouls, and he shows a lot of confidence on the offensive end.

He had 5 assists yesterday, and only 2 turnovers, along with those 21 pts and 10 rebounds. In most cases guys around here would be ecstatic with numbers like that. Fizdale seems to be letting guys do their own thing in SL, and I see what he and Knox are doing as very similar.

He still has a way to go as a defender, but I haven't seen anything that would prevent him from defending at this level if he dedicates himself to it.

Look at Burke...took him 5 years, but he seems to have worked on his D, and now he's going to be an important player on our team.

I also see Trier as a combo-guard- looks like he can penetrate at will, and if you can do that, you can help others score. His assist numbers went up at Arizona...he finished with 3 his final year, and I can seem him being an emergency PG at times. I expect they'll have him playing some PG in the G-League, by the way.

The guy was undrafted, for goodness sake...He is a ball player, and not a stiff. I look at him as I do any new player- he has strengths and he has things to work on, and until I see an inability to improve, I'll assume that we have coaches who will develop him the right way.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/11/2018  12:03 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:I think Knox will have the best year of the 3, but the Trier hatred I'm reading at times is quite astounding.

He's our player now, and while he's developing on D, he's already shown some NBA level offensive skills. He can shoot...he is a good 1/1 player, he goes to the basket and finishes or draws fouls, and he shows a lot of confidence on the offensive end.

He had 5 assists yesterday, and only 2 turnovers, along with those 21 pts and 10 rebounds. In most cases guys around here would be ecstatic with numbers like that. Fizdale seems to be letting guys do their own thing in SL, and I see what he and Knox are doing as very similar.

He still has a way to go as a defender, but I haven't seen anything that would prevent him from defending at this level dedicates himself to it.

Look at Burke...took him 5 years, but he seems to have worked on his D, and now he's going to be an important player on our team.

I also see Trier as a combo-guard- looks like he can penetrate at will, and if you can do that, you can help others score. His assist numbers went up at Arizona...he finished with 3 his final year, and I can seem him being an emergency PG at times. I expect they'll have him playing some PG in the G-League, by the way.

The guy was undrafted, for goodness sake...He is a ball player, and not a stiff. I look at him as I do any new player- he has strengths and he has things to work on, and until I see an inability to improve, I'll assume that we have coaches who will develop him the right way.

This. Some of the sorry summer league teams the Knicks were sending to Orlando every year never had a guy as talented as Trier. He's a Knick. Not sure why there is so much hate for him. In regards to who has the best rookie year, it will be Knox.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
stanleybostitch
Member: #1071

7/11/2018  12:45 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:I think Knox will have the best year of the 3, but the Trier hatred I'm reading at times is quite astounding.

He still has a way to go as a defender, but I haven't seen anything that would prevent him from defending at this level dedicates himself to it.

This. Some of the sorry summer league teams the Knicks were sending to Orlando every year never had a guy as talented as Trier. He's a Knick. Not sure why there is so much hate for him. In regards to who has the best rookie year, it will be Knox.

It's the eye test for me. Watching Trier in SL is painful. He has blinders on when he gets the ball, looks for no one and only looking for his own shot. Can you change that with coaching? I hope so, but agree with others that he needs a full season in G League to learn that bball is a _team_ sport.

The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
BigDaddyG

7/11/2018  12:52 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

I'm not killing the guy. Just saying he needs to work on other aspects of his game to make it to the big club. He's not that good a scorer to have that a high a useage rate at the NBA level. There's a reason he fell to us and it's not just the PED scandal. Also, I think Chasson Randle's first year run in the Knicks SL was more impressive than what Trier is shown. Take that with a grain of salt, because most of these teams don't really have time to go over plays and most of the players on this roster won't be part of the organization. The atmosphere is too chaotic to learn anything excepts how players lineup against players of similar athleticism.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/11/2018  1:24 PM
There is a reason besides PED debacle he did not get drafted. Brain dead? Could be.
He have an opportunity. Let’s see what he got!
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

7/11/2018  1:31 PM
stanleybostitch wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

It's the eye test for me. Watching Trier in SL is painful. He has blinders on when he gets the ball, looks for no one and only looking for his own shot. Can you change that with coaching? I hope so, but agree with others that he needs a full season in G League to learn that bball is a _team_ sport.

I'll play devil's advocate, and say that Knox is the same, in some ways. He has a fine first step, but has trouble adjusting once he gets by his man and faces help defenders. Most of his turnovers were on his drives, and he had some awkward shots, too.

At some point Knox will learn to pull up off his drive...maybe hit a short bank shot off the glass, which is an easier shot when you have all the momentum he has once he's decided to drive, but right now he has trouble adjusting once he commits himself to the drive.

Am I worried about Knox...nope. I have confidence that he will learn and grow from his mistakes, and expect him to be a star.

Again...Trier had 5 assists with 2 turnovers...and got to the line 7 times.

He does seem like more of an ISO player at this point, but there are many players with bigger names who seem to thrive playing the same kind of ball, and how many around here are upset with Frank because he doesn't play more 1/1 attack ball. I saw Donovan Mitchell force many shots last year, and bully himself to the basket for shots that went in, but seemed forced...the same was true with Smith Jr. on Dallas, and both of these guys have many fans around here. Why do we celebrate some 1/1 players and condemn others?

Trier should get 30+ MPG in Westchester, and they should get him to work on his passing game, his D, and moving without the ball.

He was a nice pickup for an undrafted player, and from what I've seen so far, and though I believe he was worthy of being a second round selection, we didn't have to use one to get him. I think they picked him up to be an instant offense guy, which he seems to be, and figured they could work with him to improve the other areas of his game.

I've been happy with him, KK, and Mitch so far. All need work, but all have potential to contribute.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/11/2018  2:06 PM
Knox. Not even close. Mitchell doesn’t have enough experience against high level competition. He’ll show flashes and he’ll be in foul trouble and get benched for being in the wrong spots on both ends, even more. Knox could end up being a top 3 to 4 rookie if things go great.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

7/11/2018  2:16 PM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:KNox.

The others will not be in the NBA all year. Trier is a G league player. Robinson too but his athleticism may keep him in the NBA.

Robinson had not impressed me, but i hope to see more of him. Knox has looked good, but i don't think he is a creator on offense. Trier looks horrible.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
blkexec
Member: #748
7/11/2018  2:21 PM
Damn....Trier has more hate from his own fans.....and we wonder why young guys leave ny and become better players.

Trier has tunnel vision just like all 6 men off the bench....scorers....and even Knox once after his first step. Trier is equal to Dotson for me.....He impacts the game as a scorer....How does baker impact the game? What Trier needs is an easier fix than what Frank needs. It's harder to put that dog in a person.....But if they already have something....like a specialty....Then that's the best start to anyone career. Trier is a baller.....and I'm sure Fiz sees it the same way. He might have tunnel vision....low defensive IQ....but hes not afraid an anybody.....and he replaces Beasley as our "young walking bucket"

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/11/2018  2:27 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:KNox.

Robinson had not impressed me, but i hope to see more of him. Knox has looked good, but i don't think he is a creator on offense. Trier looks horrible.

Robinson has had some awesome moments so far. Blocking that 3 last night is not something anyone on the Knicks could do. He covers so much ground on d. First basketball since high school and the kid is averaging 11, 9, and 3. Hopefully he impresses soon.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

7/11/2018  3:34 PM
stanleybostitch wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Agree with Crush and Walt. And agree that Trier needs to improve his all around team game. But agree that there seems to be a lot of hate for players that are aggressive and are better on the offensive side. Understand the desire for most Knick fans to want hard working defensive players. Reason why everyone assumes/defends Frank for his inability to play on the offensive side. Yet guys that need to improve on defense seem to be judged quite early and are labeled selfish players around here. Todays NBA is about having multiple talented offensive players on the team. If Knick fans truly want to win its not going to be about having 5 Frank types on the court. Its about getting guys that can score and shoot. Knox is a good example. Think Trier still has a lot to learn but he clearly has offensive talents. Agree with you that he needs some time in the D League.

As for thread topic. Knox is capable of having a Tatum type year. Love the pick. Give credit to the FO for doing their due diligence.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/11/2018  4:00 PM
the Knox hype machine on full throttle!
Knick fans are so deprived of having rookies to be excited about we don't know how to act.
We cried over KP, we lose our shyt over frank as a 19 year old rookie, an now we are casting Knox's statue as an allstar great!
Next week we worry about him leaving as unrestricted free agent?
blkexec
Member: #748
7/11/2018  4:19 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
stanleybostitch wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Agree with Crush and Walt. And agree that Trier needs to improve his all around team game. But agree that there seems to be a lot of hate for players that are aggressive and are better on the offensive side. Understand the desire for most Knick fans to want hard working defensive players. Reason why everyone assumes/defends Frank for his inability to play on the offensive side. Yet guys that need to improve on defense seem to be judged quite early and are labeled selfish players around here. Todays NBA is about having multiple talented offensive players on the team. If Knick fans truly want to win its not going to be about having 5 Frank types on the court. Its about getting guys that can score and shoot. Knox is a good example. Think Trier still has a lot to learn but he clearly has offensive talents. Agree with you that he needs some time in the D League.

As for thread topic. Knox is capable of having a Tatum type year. Love the pick. Give credit to the FO for doing their due diligence.

Thank you for saving my fingers. All I have to say is ditto.

We finally got our own homegrown gunner in Trier....And he getting beat up for his defense. If he had the entire package.. he would've beendrafted in the 1st or 2nd round. .The undrafted FAs is where u draft players with a specialty. and hope with good character he will fill in his weaknesses. With our staff Pg heavy....I think they will have fun with Trier. Dotson I thought was a more complete player....and might be. But if he doesn't wake up and trier continues his play...same with williamson.....Fiz is not afraid to play these guys. . ...He plays like those street ball kids....they share iso ball plays. And when u need a bucket....play is busted.....Guards like Trier and trey burke can get their own shot. U need players on the roster with that skill set. Not too many but a nice balance. which is what we have. balance or iso and system players.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
BigDaddyG

7/11/2018  8:59 PM
blkexec wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
stanleybostitch wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Thank you for saving my fingers. All I have to say is ditto.

We finally got our own homegrown gunner in Trier....And he getting beat up for his defense. If he had the entire package.. he would've beendrafted in the 1st or 2nd round. .The undrafted FAs is where u draft players with a specialty. and hope with good character he will fill in his weaknesses. With our staff Pg heavy....I think they will have fun with Trier. Dotson I thought was a more complete player....and might be. But if he doesn't wake up and trier continues his play...same with williamson.....Fiz is not afraid to play these guys. . ...He plays like those street ball kids....they share iso ball plays. And when u need a bucket....play is busted.....Guards like Trier and trey burke can get their own shot. U need players on the roster with that skill set. Not too many but a nice balance. which is what we have. balance or iso and system players.

The problem with Trier right now is that he's not going to get that level of useage in the NBA. Be s not Harden, Beal, Butler etc. He's more along the line of Nordan Crawford. I agree that ISO ball is a necessary evil. But thaat's reserved for guys like Kobe or Melo in their prime. Guys that could hit difficult shots at average, or better, league shooting percentages. I'm not saying he's a lost cause, but be has a lot of work to do.

Between Knox, Robinson and Trier, who do you think will have the best rookie year?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy