[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

unsolicited thoughts on summer league so far
Author Thread
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

7/9/2018  10:15 AM
all of the knicks picks are tenacious in different ways. Very pleasant surprise. I did not expect to see so much driving from KK given that awful video someone posted where it looked like the kid couldn't dribble at all. KK has shown a lot more agility all around than I expected. Very excited about his ability to draw fouls: hope that continues when the season starts. Robinson has some swagger and attitude on D -- wants to dominate. Again surprised given his relatively timid presence on interviews. It's this type of personality who you can expect to play hard the entire time on the floor: sore losers but in the right way

Aayton looks good. Can get double doubles quietly

Bagley has some agility as well. Heard about his rebounding but I saw some things in his limited time that were pretty nifty for a big

T. Young looks absolutely dreadful. It's painful to watch him drive in the paint because you already know he's going to be rejected w authority.

DSJ seems more under control. Still not a fan of his, but he seems more poised. Will be interesting to see how much he's asked to run the offense with Doncic and Brunson as other options. Carlisle is an excellent coach and I expect him to figure out how to deploy these guys well

Mamba is big and looong. It's crazy to see him on the floor and then think everyone else out there is 6'7" and up. he dwarfs them

Z.Smith for Philly looks good. Not superstar good, but immediate impact.

Mikal Bridges looks professional but also meh

Josh Jackson -- people here who saw Scottie Pippen 2.0 should apologize. Even in modern NBA, his team should find him if he takes a 3. It's lucky if it hits the backboard. Think of all the high Suns picks who have ranged from underwhelming to busts. I am so glad we didn't swing some crazy KP for Jackson+ trade

I don't watch much college bball so i don't know the full H.Giles story, but glad to see he's out there. He looks like he can play still

And slightly off topic: but what the hell's going on with Marcus Smart? Seems like a repeat of I. Thomas where some player with serious flaws (e.g., short and no-D; tenachious D, but no O) contributes mightily for the Celts but other teams see relatively little value (not counting Brigg's love affair with I.Thomas)

(5)(5)
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/9/2018  10:22 AM
Chandler wrote:all of the knicks picks are tenacious in different ways. Very pleasant surprise. I did not expect to see so much driving from KK given that awful video someone posted where it looked like the kid couldn't dribble at all. KK has shown a lot more agility all around than I expected. Very excited about his ability to draw fouls: hope that continues when the season starts. Robinson has some swagger and attitude on D -- wants to dominate. Again surprised given his relatively timid presence on interviews. It's this type of personality who you can expect to play hard the entire time on the floor: sore losers but in the right way

Bagley has some agility as well. Heard about his rebounding but I saw some things in his limited time that were pretty nifty for a big

T. Young looks absolutely dreadful. It's painful to watch him drive in the paint because you already know he's going to be rejected w authority.

DSJ seems more under control. Still not a fan of his, but he seems more poised. Will be interesting to see how much he's asked to run the offense with Doncic and Brunson as other options. Carlisle is an excellent coach and I expect him to figure out how to deploy these guys well

Mamba is big and looong. It's crazy to see him on the floor and then think everyone else out there is 6'7" and up. he dwarfs them

Josh Jackson -- people here who saw Scottie Pippen 2.0 should apologize. Even in modern NBA, his team should find him if he takes a 3. It's lucky if it hits the backboard. Think of all the high Suns picks who have ranged from underwhelming to busts. I am so glad we didn't swing some crazy KP for Jackson+ trade

I don't watch much college bball so i don't know the full H.Giles story, but glad to see he's out there. He looks like he can play still

And slightly off topic: but what the hell's going on with Marcus Smart? Seems like a repeat of I. Thomas where some player with serious flaws (e.g., short and no-D; tenachious D, but no O) contributes mightily for the Celts but other teams see relatively little value (not counting Brigg's love affair with I.Thomas)

Smart will get paid as a UFA next summer. Tough year for restricted free agents. No one wants to freeze their money or overpay by extending an offer. Too many moving parts this summer and other opportunities for the few teams with cap space.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

7/9/2018  10:39 AM
Chandler wrote:all of the knicks picks are tenacious in different ways. Very pleasant surprise. I did not expect to see so much driving from KK given that awful video someone posted where it looked like the kid couldn't dribble at all. KK has shown a lot more agility all around than I expected. Very excited about his ability to draw fouls: hope that continues when the season starts. Robinson has some swagger and attitude on D -- wants to dominate. Again surprised given his relatively timid presence on interviews. It's this type of personality who you can expect to play hard the entire time on the floor: sore losers but in the right way

I would absolutely love to have M.Smart on my team even though he can't shoot cause that dude can change a game with his play on defense and his energy. I think his problem right now besides the fact that teams don't have money this offseason is that last year he came and said he wants $16-$17 mil per and he just isn't gonna get that unless one of these teams that just can't get free agents to choose to come to them wants to overpay to get him....i'm looking at you Sacramento and Vlade.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/9/2018  10:45 AM
Knicks are getting athletic... long and athletic. I love it.

Yea.. Josh Jackson as the centerpiece coming back for KP... cringeworthy. Some here advocated that. I think Franco even did so recently. Mind boggling.

Marcus Smart is in a position and team that hides his flaws, and his inability to score and shoot is bad. He's a fantastic role player who wants impact player money, and he's just not that guy. Not until his offense improves. Alot.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Chandler

7/9/2018  10:47 AM
I hear the comments about FA this year, but Sacramento offered Lavine like 80 million, and their coach is ex-Grizz coach (Joerger). One could have imagined they might like some defense

Smart reminds me a bit of Artest (both the good and bad)

(5)(5)
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/9/2018  10:49 AM
Chandler wrote:And slightly off topic: but what the hell's going on with Marcus Smart? Seems like a repeat of I. Thomas where some player with serious flaws (e.g., short and no-D; tenachious D, but no O) contributes mightily for the Celts but other teams see relatively little value (not counting Brigg's love affair with I.Thomas)

Is Marcus Smart worth a long term contract or is he a high level role player who fit his team's system and coach perfectly and over performed?

He is not a great shooter, his 3pt accuracy is below Franks and his eFG% is in the 40's. Great defender, energy guy.

Which team would spend their precious cap money on him? We are finding out how many.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Knixkik
USA
7/9/2018  12:00 PM
fishmike wrote:Knicks are getting athletic... long and athletic. I love it.

Yea.. Josh Jackson as the centerpiece coming back for KP... cringeworthy. Some here advocated that. I think Franco even did so recently. Mind boggling.

Marcus Smart is in a position and team that hides his flaws, and his inability to score and shoot is bad. He's a fantastic role player who wants impact player money, and he's just not that guy. Not until his offense improves. Alot.

This is why you can't trade proven young stars for draft picks just like that, injury or not. I would rather hedge my bets on the injury prone star staying reasonably healthy than a #4 pick turning into a star, because that pick can just as easily become a bust, or the most likely scenario, a good starting player but not a game-changer i.e. Jackson.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/9/2018  12:55 PM
Knixkik wrote:

This is why you can't trade proven young stars for draft picks just like that, injury or not. I would rather hedge my bets on the injury prone star staying reasonably healthy than a #4 pick turning into a star, because that pick can just as easily become a bust, or the most likely scenario, a good starting player but not a game-changer i.e. Jackson.

I've advocated that we should consider trading KP - I don't think I've ever signed off on any specific deal- I just don't know the players out there that well.

KP is due serious money soon, and we don't really know what he is.

Is he the guy that dominated the first 10 games of the season and looked amazing?

Or is a dude that just gets tired after 2 months, gets winded and breaks down?

I wish we didn't have Noah and Courtney Lee on the roster, and I wish we had more supporting cast so if/when KP is ready to be something solid and possibly great, we have the kind of talent you need to go deep into the play offs.

I think we saw with Ewing, however amazing he was, we never got the supporting cast because we were either too good to draft well, or the front office made bad decisions or they thought they were 1 piece away and made bad trades.

Knixkik
USA
7/9/2018  1:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/9/2018  1:35 PM
franco12 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

I've advocated that we should consider trading KP - I don't think I've ever signed off on any specific deal- I just don't know the players out there that well.

Is he the guy that dominated the first 10 games of the season and looked amazing?

I wish we didn't have Noah and Courtney Lee on the roster, and I wish we had more supporting cast so if/when KP is ready to be something solid and possibly great, we have the kind of talent you need to go deep into the play offs.

I think we saw with Ewing, however amazing he was, we never got the supporting cast because we were either too good to draft well, or the front office made bad decisions or they thought they were 1 piece away and made bad trades.

We know what he is, we just don't know if he can stay healthy. Remember, his offense was inconsistent as you stated, but he was a consistent impactful defensive player. Booker just got the big contract and he only scores, he can't defend. KP has a 2-way skill-set that you can build around, i think most acknowledge that. The concern is can he stay on the floor? But you gamble on the talent and 2-way ability. This isn't Booker or Wiggins we are talking about here.
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
7/9/2018  1:51 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/9/2018  1:52 PM
Knixkik wrote:
franco12 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

We know what he is, we just don't know if he can stay healthy. Remember, his offense was inconsistent as you stated, but he was a consistent impactful defensive player. Booker just got the big contract and he only scores, he can't defend. KP has a 2-way skill-set that you can build around, i think most acknowledge that. The concern is can he stay on the floor? But you gamble on the talent and 2-way ability. This isn't Booker or Wiggins we are talking about here.

You cannot build a winning team if you are scared all the time about things you cannot control.
What team management can control is flexibility and culture.
KP checks all boxes for player you want to be a building block.
So locking him in is a must.
If things will do wrong that new decisions will have to be made.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/9/2018  1:59 PM
Open ended: To trade KP for someone better.
Can't really say who, but the concept is easy to type.
As for Jackson, I'll give him a few more games before label applied.
Funny, Booker scored 70 pts. Only 6 plyers have ever scored 70 or more. They all in the HOF.
its a very elite list.......
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_single-game_scoring_leaders
Not sure he belongs on it, but there he is.
Knixkik
USA
7/9/2018  2:20 PM
Nalod wrote:Open ended: To trade KP for someone better.
Can't really say who, but the concept is easy to type.
As for Jackson, I'll give him a few more games before label applied.
Funny, Booker scored 70 pts. Only 6 plyers have ever scored 70 or more. They all in the HOF.
its a very elite list.......
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_single-game_scoring_leaders
Not sure he belongs on it, but there he is.

One thing to keep in mind about Jackson, he turned 21 during his rookie year, so he is a very old rookie. He is 1 1/2 years older than Frank. I expected him to be more NBA ready.

jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
7/10/2018  6:28 PM
Just my 2 cents as I have seen J.Jackson play in person a few times... he clearly needs to improve his jump shot, but will be a monster if he does. That's a big if of course, but he does have Pippen-like potential and is a 8.5/10 athletically. He's got this year to improve it or we could end up seeing a "bust." And yes, I was advocating KP for J.Jackson, Chriss and a future #1 pick last year (that future #1 would have probably been protected so no Ayton :(
Chandler

7/11/2018  8:13 AM
looks like Trailblazer are again showing they have an eye for guard talent

Only summer league, but Wade Baldwin is showing the Blazers what Memphis thought they were drafting, and G.Trent Jr is doing his part.

I hate Grayson Allen as much as the next guy, but he's going to prove to be a rugged competitor

(5)(5)
unsolicited thoughts on summer league so far

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy