Whats your thoughts on all these 1 yr contracts
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/4/2018  12:17 PM
Most I have ever seen in my life.

I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing,

The Negative- How much commitment does a player put into a team knowing you'll be playing somewhere else next season

The positive- Does that player play harder knowing he's in a contract yr.

The Negative- If the player shine, you'll be paying through the nose to retain him

The positive- If he has a severe injury or plays like sht, he's one and done off your books.

I'm a little surprise that more of these 1 yr contract don't have team or player options.

Is this even good for the League and it's fan base to see players bouncing around the league like this?
Maybe next yr 3 or 4 all stars take pay cuts to join one team just to have a chance to beat GS, and then that becomes the trend

ES
AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
7/4/2018  12:45 PM
My thoughts are next year's offseason is going to be the craziest since Lebron and co went to the Heat. There are going to be a lot of teams with big time cap space and a lot of free agents.
Welpee
Member: #6239

7/4/2018  1:13 PM
knicks1248 wrote:Most I have ever seen in my life.

The Negative- How much commitment does a player put into a team knowing you'll be playing somewhere else next season

The positive- Does that player play harder knowing he's in a contract yr.

The Negative- If the player shine, you'll be paying through the nose to retain him

The positive- If he has a severe injury or plays like sht, he's one and done off your books.

I'm a little surprise that more of these 1 yr contract don't have team or player options.

Is this even good for the League and it's fan base to see players bouncing around the league like this?
Maybe next yr 3 or 4 all stars take pay cuts to join one team just to have a chance to beat GS, and then that becomes the trend

It's not good or bad, it's business. I hope players appreciate their ability to control their own destiny versus how things used to be in the 60s and 70s.
MS
Member: #724
7/4/2018  1:28 PM
It’s the smart way to go.

These guys are generally veterans or role players. Guys that only are important on teams competing for the playoffs. If I’m a GM there are always options and bargains out there.

The reason why the Knicks are the worst franchise in sports is they feel the need to give marginal players long term deals year after year for no reason.

Weatherspoon, Jefferies, James, Novak, Noah, Thomas. It’s unfortunate because Phil started out doing the right thing with Affalo, Williams, etc. Then stupidity took over.

Mills for whatever reason thought it was smart to overpay Hardaway and Baker still is one of the bigger head scratchers ever to give that guy $10MM over 2.

It’s disgraceful when teams give Tyler Johnson, Chandler Parsons, Evan Turner, Allan Crabbe multi year deals. Had we actually done the same with Noah, Thomas and Hardaway we would have multiple max slots and would have landed a big free agents by now.

You only overpay when you’re on the cusp of a championship. Hopefully we continue to stick with the plan Perry is executing.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

7/4/2018  2:23 PM
It's pretty clear why players are taking one year deals and why teams are giving them. There isn't enough teams with money this offseason but a ton of teams have a bunch of money next offseason so the players are putting themselves in a situation to get paid next offseason more then they'd get this offseason.
dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

7/4/2018  2:29 PM
Good , stay the course, hopefully our rookies make such a jump ppl want yo play with them. Hopefully
Cartman718
Member: #1694

7/4/2018  3:35 PM
I think the 1 yr deals are basically indicators of I am waiting for nbafreeagency2019and2020
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
7/4/2018  10:31 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:Most I have ever seen in my life.

Some of the deals are not unusual for the players and type of players involved. Rondo and Reddick getting one year deals is not very strange considering their age, injury history, role, etc.

Avery Bradley getting only 2/24 is actually a much more interesting discussion point on a "market correction" for how the NBA marketplace operates. That's a really interesting situation and contract given the current NBA.

It is likely both a good thing and a bad thing. Depressing "mid tier" type players means top heavy salaries. Super max contracts will be team killers, not today, but very soon. It will trigger another labor war. The owners apparently want a system where marketable stars don'tm move, but everyone around them does. Almost a hybrid of the NFL and MLB market systems.

Anything that pushes the league towards a true hard cap and a widespread use of non guaranteed contracts, like the NFL system, is a positive thing for the long term of the NBA. The marketplace corrections are heading that way.

Down the road, there could be a lockout that lasts for up to two full seasons. The current model of the game is simply unsustainable.

No way will there be a lockout that lasts 2 years. No way. You might as well just end the NBA. Do you actually believe this BS you write?

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/4/2018  11:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/4/2018  11:22 PM
It’s really the way it should be. Paying role players big long term contracts is a killer and doesn’t move the needle or profit teams. Long term deals should be for stars, and role players should make good money on 1 year deals but be expected to be stopgaps on teams who are trying to add that missing piece or young teams needing a vet leader. This is the way the market should be. Superstars making 150 mil because they put butts in seats and role players playing musical chairs each offseason.
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

7/5/2018  12:59 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/5/2018  1:03 AM
smackeddog wrote:My thoughts are next year's offseason is going to be the craziest since Lebron and co went to the Heat. There are going to be a lot of teams with big time cap space and a lot of free agents.

The Mavericks haven't been particularly successful since 2011 but I agree with Cuban's philosophy of "zigging" when the rest of the league is "zagging". There will be a number of teams trying to blow money on players that they will immediately regret paying and we should do our best to enable them, while extracting assets from them. I sincerely hope that we take on one year contracts to help them get the player(s) they want while getting some picks in the process. Unfortunately, that isn't in our DNA and I suspect we'll probably be making a serious pitch to Kyrie Irving, along with the other teams looking to make a splash.

stopstandthere
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #6004

7/5/2018  10:00 AM
That mean NBA is full of instant products.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/5/2018  10:37 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/5/2018  10:40 AM
Dont know how many times over the years someone on this board asked "When is his contract up again? Team option vs. Player option, which we always seem to have the wrong one when inking these contracts.

It can be more expensive, probably will be. They want to find role players who fit Fizdale's vision of the team. Dont want to be on the hook for players long term who cant prove in year 1 that they're worth a longer term contract. If a player passes the audition, so to speak, Im guessing Perry/Mills are hoping players take a little less than they could elsewhere to play in NY. Because of the destination, the coach, the team's prospects.

Sure, some can get a little more from a smaller market team, some might bail, and some wont. At least those who stay have made a case for being in NY.

They're trying to give themselves as much room to maneuver as possible in 2019. Too early for a post-mortem.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/7/2018  11:12 AM
NardDogNation wrote:
smackeddog wrote:My thoughts are next year's offseason is going to be the craziest since Lebron and co went to the Heat. There are going to be a lot of teams with big time cap space and a lot of free agents.

The Mavericks haven't been particularly successful since 2011 but I agree with Cuban's philosophy of "zigging" when the rest of the league is "zagging". There will be a number of teams trying to blow money on players that they will immediately regret paying and we should do our best to enable them, while extracting assets from them. I sincerely hope that we take on one year contracts to help them get the player(s) they want while getting some picks in the process. Unfortunately, that isn't in our DNA and I suspect we'll probably be making a serious pitch to Kyrie Irving, along with the other teams looking to make a splash.

Your right, we are sunk anyway with Lee, Noah, and Hardaway Jr. , Might as well except we are ****ed till those deals expire and use our cap space to steal a pick from someone willing to dump. The only issue with all this is Porzingis. He and his brother will most likely not be happy with this strategy. He has the same failings Melo does. He would rather us go all in next season pissing away multiple future assets instead of waiting 1 more year and striking in 2020 or 2021.
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Whats your thoughts on all these 1 yr contracts

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy