Hezonja a Knick
Author Thread
Welpee
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6239

7/2/2018  10:20 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/2/2018  10:25 AM
Nalod wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Nalod wrote:There is a reason he is 23 and Orlando is moving on and he was not traded.
Maybe the reason is Orlando is not a great organization?

There's also a reason two teams moved on Victor Oladipo (including Orlando). How'd that turn out? Have you looked at Orlando's track record over the past six years? If Golden State moved on him maybe it would be a red flag.

I’m not into franchise track records. There is no gentetic hereditary traits if you make changes in personal and philosophy. Orlando has new front office as do we. They have seen enough of Mario and have other assets to move forward with. I’m ok with that, in fact its healthy.
I’d like to knicks improve to where they are passing off players instead of mining for gold with retreads. Don’t get me wrong, its the right thing to do for now and we are consistent in our approach. I’ll like this move and hope it works out.
I llike that we moved on from Willy. We doubled our investment in him.

Phoenix saw enough of Steve Nash after two seasons and moved forward and he went on to have a HOF career. Portland saw enough of Jermaine O'Neal after four years and unloaded him and he becomes an all-NBA player in Indy. Boston, Toronto, Denver and Minnesota moved forward on Chauncey Billups and he became all-NBA. The point is I prefer that we not base our judgment on a player based on how another team judged him.

Heck, Toronto saw enough of Marcus Camby after two years and unloaded him to us for a past his prime Charles Oakley. Ironically, most Knicks fans hated that move at the time. If we see potential in a player who cares that another didn't see it or couldn't get it out of him?

Whatever the reason Orlando chose to move on we shouldn't assume he doesn't have potential that a change in scenery, change in coaching, change in atmosphere can't unlock.

AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/2/2018  10:22 AM
NardDogNation wrote:
nixluva wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:Well, this might be the first move of Mills-Perry that I liked. With some floor-spacing around him, I think Hezonja might pleasantly surprise many. I just hope they don't waste this opportunity and understand that Hezonja is a 4 and not a 2.

Personally I think Perry has been EXCELLENT since coming on board. He's totally upgraded the teams youth and athleticism. This is a completely different vibe since this new regime has taken over. Smarter moves and more Front Office synergy. I like it all. The drafts and acquisitions that Perry has made are all moving in the right direction. He's not even done yet.

You think everything the Knicks do is "EXCELLENT", ever since I joined this board. I don't mean to be rude but it's clear you're biased to the point where you can't be objective. As a fan, I always find myself hoping you'd be right but I doubt it will happen with this front office.

I will say that I find myself liking the image/reasoning of the Fizdale hire. He's really the only thing about Perry-Mills that I have a more positive opinion of. But there is too little a track record to even be sure if Fizdale's hype is justified.

I don’t understand you’re take here. It’s not about my views of past GM moves. I was specifically commenting on PERRY’S moves since coming on board. You don’t have to bring up anything else in order to assess the job he’s done. Have his moves been mostly good, neutral or bad for the team?

Just looking at the moves starting with the Melo Trade I think Perry has made some pretty solid moves! Took flyers on some young players that fit the criteria of the stated goals. Hired a good Coach. Drafted players with high potential. The team is younger, longer and more athletic than it was when he took over. We of course will have to wait to see how these players develop but judging the INITIAL choices it’s hard to find fault.

Chandler
Member: #6197

7/2/2018  10:27 AM
Ira wrote:I'm not as excited as most on this board by this signing. He's a pretty good offensive player and a below average defensive player, but is young and can still improve. I haven't seen much of him, but he's considered a good athlete who, like Knox, can play the 3 and 4 spots. The money isn't high and, if he doesn't work out, he won't interfere with our cap space when it matters.

this kind of sums up my feelings too. Does he fit the two-way player mold we talked about. Will he even be better than McBuckets who got similar money albeit for more years

I will hope for the best but it looks like we're doing more gambling with high picks who couldn't get it down, than developing players who no one knew about or forgot (what Miami was doing)

(5)(5)
Welpee

7/2/2018  10:28 AM
nixluva wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
nixluva wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:Well, this might be the first move of Mills-Perry that I liked. With some floor-spacing around him, I think Hezonja might pleasantly surprise many. I just hope they don't waste this opportunity and understand that Hezonja is a 4 and not a 2.

Personally I think Perry has been EXCELLENT since coming on board. He's totally upgraded the teams youth and athleticism. This is a completely different vibe since this new regime has taken over. Smarter moves and more Front Office synergy. I like it all. The drafts and acquisitions that Perry has made are all moving in the right direction. He's not even done yet.

You think everything the Knicks do is "EXCELLENT", ever since I joined this board. I don't mean to be rude but it's clear you're biased to the point where you can't be objective. As a fan, I always find myself hoping you'd be right but I doubt it will happen with this front office.

I will say that I find myself liking the image/reasoning of the Fizdale hire. He's really the only thing about Perry-Mills that I have a more positive opinion of. But there is too little a track record to even be sure if Fizdale's hype is justified.

I don’t understand you’re take here. It’s not about my views of past GM moves. I was specifically commenting on PERRY’S moves since coming on board. You don’t have to bring up anything else in order to assess the job he’s done. Have his moves been mostly good, neutral or bad for the team?

Just looking at the moves starting with the Melo Trade I think Perry has made some pretty solid moves! Took flyers on some young players that fit the criteria of the stated goals. Hired a good Coach. Drafted players with high potential. The team is younger, longer and more athletic than it was when he took over. We of course will have to wait to see how these players develop but judging the INITIAL choices it’s hard to find fault.

Time will tell but I agree, I like what Perry has done so far. Knicks fans are always after the homerun. You need to few singles and walks first to set up the grand slam.
Chandler
Member: #6197

7/2/2018  10:28 AM
Welpee wrote:If Hezonja was a complete two-way stud the Knicks wouldn't have been able to sign him. I view this signing this way: Beasley vs. Hezonja.

Beasley is an underachieving, low IQ offensive player who is doesn't play defensive, usually doesn't play hard who is a finished product and will be 30 this season. Hezonja is a 23 year old underachieving supposedly low IQ offensive player with a high ceiling who can develop into a very good player in the right environment and under the right coach. This is a no-brainer to me.

This year's Knick team will be a young, scappy, hungry team with a lot of players with something to prove. I prefer that over a team of vets looking for their next pay day.

I prefer Hezonja to Beas because the latter is a head-case waiting to go crazy any minute; but I also think it's wrong to think those were the only options

(5)(5)
Welpee

7/2/2018  10:31 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/2/2018  10:38 AM
Chandler wrote:
Welpee wrote:If Hezonja was a complete two-way stud the Knicks wouldn't have been able to sign him. I view this signing this way: Beasley vs. Hezonja.

Beasley is an underachieving, low IQ offensive player who is doesn't play defensive, usually doesn't play hard who is a finished product and will be 30 this season. Hezonja is a 23 year old underachieving supposedly low IQ offensive player with a high ceiling who can develop into a very good player in the right environment and under the right coach. This is a no-brainer to me.

This year's Knick team will be a young, scappy, hungry team with a lot of players with something to prove. I prefer that over a team of vets looking for their next pay day.

I prefer Hezonja to Beas because the latter is a head-case waiting to go crazy any minute; but I also think it's wrong to think those were the only options

Who was a better option with higher upside who is young and would cost us under $7M on a short term deal?
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

7/2/2018  11:01 AM
Welpee wrote:
nixluva wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Time will tell but I agree, I like what Perry has done so far. Knicks fans are always after the homerun. You need to few singles and walks first to set up the grand slam.

What "singles" has Perry gotten us? Jarrett Jack? Michael Beasley?

Those players were career journeymen in their prime, let alone now. They played well for us last year but Knick fans being attached to them is reflective of just how talent-starved this franchise has been the past 18 years. I guess even a dog****-sandwich would seem appealing if starving.

NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

7/2/2018  11:24 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/2/2018  11:25 AM
nixluva wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
nixluva wrote:

The Melo trade was a mixed-bag. It got us a draft pick and avoided us having to take back a contract that extended beyond 2019-2020 but it also brought in a player that helped marginalize one of our best assets: Willy Hernangomez. As a rebuilding team, Hernangomez is exactly the type of player you want: a guy on cost-control for an extended period of time that was promising. And our use of the 36th pick we got in the deal, was poorly utilized as well in my opinion. The only reason why I wouldn't deadpan the trade completely is because the Knicks routinely do stupid things (that you always defend), which allows me to understand that the situation could've been much worse.

As for Knox, I felt he was taken a little too high but could've tolerated it if the opportunity to recoup more value for the pick wasn't there. If I knew we could've gotten the 16th pick and that MIA UNPROTECTED first in 2021 for the 9th pick, I would've done it in a heart beat. Knox is far from a lock to succeed (especially considering how he struggled at times at Kentucky and the redflags in his game) and a move like that would've hedged some of the risk involved in drafting him.

And whose to say Knox wouldn't have still been available later in the draft? It was clear the Sixers, Clippers and Hornets (i.e. picks 10-13) were all looking for an immediate contributor based on who they drafted. Knox doesn't fit that bill and I suspect would've been available at some point, later in the lottery if we really wanted him. If not, I would've been fine "with the next best thing (e.g. Michael Porter)" since Knox isn't some kind of "can't miss prospect"; usually those have some type of tangible skill that will translate to league and has been evident for sometime. Again, I think this was yet another mishandling of a blue-chip asset by the Knicks.

Time will tell how well this front office will be but I don't think the track records of either Mills or Perry has been encouraging.

Welpee

7/2/2018  12:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/2/2018  12:14 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
Welpee wrote:
nixluva wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Those players were career journeymen in their prime, let alone now. They played well for us last year but Knick fans being attached to them is reflective of just how talent-starved this franchise has been the past 18 years. I guess even a dog****-sandwich would seem appealing if starving.

How many times are you going to use that line? Perry has been on board for what, almost one year. We'll see how Mudiay, Knox, Robinson and Hezonja work out. He brought Kanter here. He got Trey Burke here. He pulled the trigger getting rid of Hornacek and signed Fizdale. None of these moves are homeruns (as far as we know at this point) but they're moves in the right direction. We'll see how things pan out. Unloading Melo for worthwhile assets and not screwing up our cap (i.e. getting Ryan Anderson), was a significant victory. If nothing else, he's transforming our roster towards improved youth and athleticism. Sorry if you want to continue with quick fixes and no patience.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/2/2018  12:15 PM
Welpee wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Welpee wrote:
nixluva wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
nixluva wrote:

How many times are you going to use that line? Perry has been on board for what, almost one year. We'll see how Mudiay, Knox, Robinson and Hezonja work out. He brought Kanter here. He got Trey Burke here. He pulled the trigger getting rid of Hornacek and signed Fizdale. None of these moves are homeruns (as far as we know at this point) but they're moves in the right direction. We'll see how things pan out. Unloading Melo for worthwhile assets and not screwing up our cap (i.e. getting Ryan Anderson), was a significant victory. If nothing else, he's transforming our roster towards improved youth and athleticism. Sorry if you want to continue with quick fixes and no patience.

+1000. Also Troy Williams.

NardDogNation is quite the negative Nancy with blinders on.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
7/2/2018  12:16 PM
Welpee wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Welpee wrote:
nixluva wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Welpee thanks for bringing some intelligence and sanity to this board

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/2/2018  1:40 PM
Nalod wrote:High potential and a new "Fix Kid"........
Knicks identity has changed a lot in one year. Triangle chaos with half in, half out Hornacek to full out youth under Mills with a well regarded young coach!

I like what Mills is doing!!!

+10000.....And Perry and Fiz!!!

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/2/2018  1:42 PM
martin wrote:Coach drawing players. Nice

Outside of the coaching tree he is apart of, one of the main reasons why I wanted Fiz here was because of his relationship with the players...

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
7/2/2018  1:48 PM
What’s the difference between Mc Dermott and Hezonja?
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
7/2/2018  1:50 PM
Vmart wrote:What’s the difference between Mc Dermott and Hezonja?

Mario has more size. Is a better rebounder and passer.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

7/2/2018  1:55 PM

The Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean & Adriatic Seas...

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Welpee

7/2/2018  2:43 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:

Mario has more size. Is a better rebounder and passer.

Aren't they about the same size?
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/2/2018  2:50 PM
Chandler wrote:
Ira wrote:I'm not as excited as most on this board by this signing. He's a pretty good offensive player and a below average defensive player, but is young and can still improve. I haven't seen much of him, but he's considered a good athlete who, like Knox, can play the 3 and 4 spots. The money isn't high and, if he doesn't work out, he won't interfere with our cap space when it matters.

this kind of sums up my feelings too. Does he fit the two-way player mold we talked about. Will he even be better than McBuckets who got similar money albeit for more years

I will hope for the best but it looks like we're doing more gambling with high picks who couldn't get it down, than developing players who no one knew about or forgot (what Miami was doing)

Mario has to produce. He is on a one year deal. He was s coming from a franchise where players do better at their second stop. Is there a guy you thought they would have targeted? I thought this was a good risk/reward type signing.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Welpee

7/2/2018  3:24 PM
Chandler wrote:

We are hopefully gambling on young players with high ceilings who were given up on by their original teams prematurely. Besides Whiteside, who are all of these unknown guys Miami had success with?
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

7/2/2018  3:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/2/2018  4:43 PM
Chandler wrote:

Was dissapointed when Mcdermott was traded. I like having shooters in this league. But its clear the Knicks knew they would have to commit to multi year deal to keep him. So they got something in return that fits time frame.
I like Herz. (Another guy that can shoot) Think the change of scenery may help. Another iternational player that will help create chemistry with our other international players.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Hezonja a Knick

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy