[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/1/2018  1:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2018  2:21 PM
https://nypost.com/2018/07/01/knicks-bring-back-project-center-for-1-6-million/

The Knicks apparently really like center Luke Kornet.

The Post has learned the Knicks have agreed to terms on a one-year deal for $1.6 million for Kornet, who was a restricted free agent. The $1.6 million stands as more than his minimum, as the Knicks dished out his non-Bird exception.

Kornet, the 3-point-shooting former Vanderbilt star, was on a two-way deal with the Knicks last season after going undrafted. He played in 20 games, mostly late in the season, and shot 35 percent from 3-point range.

During workouts with coach David Fizdale recently, Kornet said the coach is trying to get him to evolve his game and not be a one-dimensional big-man shooter.

I like him, think he's the type of big that fits this era in the NBA, and he can block shots.

ES
AUTOADVERT
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

7/1/2018  1:32 PM
I am your father
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/1/2018  1:36 PM
Knick organization showing that they value continuity and are committed to development.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

7/1/2018  1:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2018  1:59 PM
One year only...not much $$, but more than minimum. Good for both sides.

He can get some significant minutes this year to prove himself worthy of an extended contract.

Give him consistent time in the 15-25 MPG range and see what he can do. Really interested to see if he can compete defensively...especially at the 4 slot.

Win win.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
smackeddog
Member: #883
7/1/2018  2:17 PM
I've never quite understood what people see in him, but I'm fine with re-signing him.
knicks1248
7/1/2018  2:20 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Knick organization showing that they value continuity and are committed to development.

maybe a little,but it's not like they have a lot of options.

What i need to see from this FO is a trade that either makes the team much better or unloads some contracts for more 2019 cap space.

ES
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

7/1/2018  3:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2018  3:28 PM
I'm not sure what to make of Luke but this signing irritates me for other reasons. If he does prove himself and demonstrates he can be a rotation player in the NBA, we'd have to immediately pay him his market value the following year to retain him, which is not advantageous to us at all. Why not sign him to a 1+1 at the very least, so that we'd have some control and could parlay him in a trade if it didn't want to pay him his market value after the fact?

Seems that stuff like this is the difference between smart franchises and dumb franchises. Smart franchises like the Sixers sign Robert Covington to a 4 year, minimim deal. Dumb franchise sign Jeremy Lin for half a season and then blame him when another team pays him more than what we are comfortable spending. Seems like we're still one of those dumb franchises.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/1/2018  4:59 PM
NardDogNation wrote:I'm not sure what to make of Luke but this signing irritates me for other reasons. If he does prove himself and demonstrates he can be a rotation player in the NBA, we'd have to immediately pay him his market value the following year to retain him, which is not advantageous to us at all. Why not sign him to a 1+1 at the very least, so that we'd have some control and could parlay him in a trade if it didn't want to pay him his market value after the fact?

Seems that stuff like this is the difference between smart franchises and dumb franchises. Smart franchises like the Sixers sign Robert Covington to a 4 year, minimim deal. Dumb franchise sign Jeremy Lin for half a season and then blame him when another team pays him more than what we are comfortable spending. Seems like we're still one of those dumb franchises.

You mean like offering Mitchell Robinson a 1 year deal after picking him with a high 2nd round pick. Here s an idea how about we give long controlled deals to our young players and not pay Tim Hardaway Jr. 18 million a year with a trade kicker

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
7/1/2018  5:29 PM
NardDogNation wrote:I'm not sure what to make of Luke but this signing irritates me for other reasons. If he does prove himself and demonstrates he can be a rotation player in the NBA, we'd have to immediately pay him his market value the following year to retain him, which is not advantageous to us at all. Why not sign him to a 1+1 at the very least, so that we'd have some control and could parlay him in a trade if it didn't want to pay him his market value after the fact?

Same, plus we would have his full bird I believe after retaining him for 3 yrs. But this deal offers no real advantage for us long term. I can only speculate that the didn't want any new salary for 2019. But putting all the work to develop Kornet only to lose him to another team IF he actually shows something isn't good practice.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/1/2018  5:54 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:

Same, plus we would have his full bird I believe after retaining him for 3 yrs. But this deal offers no real advantage for us long term. I can only speculate that the didn't want any new salary for 2019. But putting all the work to develop Kornet only to lose him to another team IF he actually shows something isn't good practice.

Agree with your take on their reasoning. We dont know if Kornet would have taken a minimum deal. They might have their sights set on a big man FA. If Kornet pans out, Noah comes off the books a year later. 4 year minimum deals can add up if you dont watch out who you hand them to, and when.

I was for bringing Kornet back, best time to give him a shot. Let him prove he is worth more than a one year deal.

knicks1248
7/1/2018  8:09 PM
If I'm Lukes agent there is no way I'm a have my client sign a TEAM option contract, not when more than 15 teams will have cap space next yr.

He knows with kp out he will see enough time to earn a higher pay check next season and beyond, plus even if and when kp oomes back he will probably be on a minutes restriction

ES
NardDogNation

7/1/2018  8:53 PM
Jmpasq wrote:

You mean like offering Mitchell Robinson a 1 year deal after picking him with a high 2nd round pick. Here s an idea how about we give long controlled deals to our young players and not pay Tim Hardaway Jr. 18 million a year with a trade kicker

Holy ****, I thought it was only a rumor that those morons were offering Robinson a one-year deal. Has it been confirmed? If so, I'll make my vote of no-confidence in the Perry-Mills regime official. TripleThreat was talking about how Darryl Morey might be available in the not-too-distant future and I tend to agree with his talking points. Should that come to pass, I hope we pull the plug on the Perry-Mills experiment ASAP.

NardDogNation

7/1/2018  9:01 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Agree with your take on their reasoning. We dont know if Kornet would have taken a minimum deal. They might have their sights set on a big man FA. If Kornet pans out, Noah comes off the books a year later. 4 year minimum deals can add up if you dont watch out who you hand them to, and when.

I was for bringing Kornet back, best time to give him a shot. Let him prove he is worth more than a one year deal.

Worse comes to worse, you can always pay another team to take the contract. All 29 teams in the league could assume a minimum contract without having to send salary back. And if no team would be willing to add him as their 15th man, in the unlikely event we need that money, we can always stretch him, so that the hit would only be a couple hundred-thousand moving forward.

But the Luke Kornet's of the world are far more valuable as salary ballast in trades than given credit for. The point is, that I think the advantages of having him on a minimum, long-term deal far outweight the drawbacks.

meloshouldgo

7/1/2018  9:05 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

Holy ****, I thought it was only a rumor that those morons were offering Robinson a one-year deal. Has it been confirmed? If so, I'll make my vote of no-confidence in the Perry-Mills regime official. TripleThreat was talking about how Darryl Morey might be available in the not-too-distant future and I tend to agree with his talking points. Should that come to pass, I hope we pull the plug on the Perry-Mills experiment ASAP.

If we were already a talent rich team, with louts of good options, I could see this type of risk taking. But for a team with a grand total of one NBA caliber starter this was a complete waste. Unforgivable.
NardDogNation

7/1/2018  9:09 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:

And I tend to think they were thinking the same as well. But if all we're talking about is a minimum deal, how badly could that really encumber our ability to sign free agents? As I said in my response to Gustavballer, all 29 teams could trade for a minimum contract without having to send a contract back. All we'd need to do is pay a cash-strapped team so money and I'm sure they'd take the contract. Worse comes to worse, you could stretch the contract if we truly needed the money and it would result in a cap hit of a couple of hundred-thousand dollars. I don't think the fortunes of our free agency will depend on that hundred-thousand though...call me crazy.

But it bothers me to think that the front-office thinks we'd be in a position to sign free agents this early in a supposed rebuild. It leads me to believe that Mills-Perry are not serious actors and will end up ****ing the franchise like all the other stooges before them.

NardDogNation

7/1/2018  9:15 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

If we were already a talent rich team, with louts of good options, I could see this type of risk taking. But for a team with a grand total of one NBA caliber starter this was a complete waste. Unforgivable.

To be honest, I didn't think much of the pick from jump-street but not offering him a multi-year deal trends toward professional malfeasance. That means we would not have the Bird Rights to parry offers he'd get in 2019. So if he beats the odds and becomes a worthwhile prospect, he could simply leave without us having the opportunity to counter or get value. Makes me wonder if these guys even believed in him from the start.

meloshouldgo

7/1/2018  9:19 PM
Correct. We went from a high risk low reward move to a high risk NO reward move.
knicks1248
7/1/2018  9:40 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

To be honest, I didn't think much of the pick from jump-street but not offering him a multi-year deal trends toward professional malfeasance. That means we would not have the Bird Rights to parry offers he'd get in 2019. So if he beats the odds and becomes a worthwhile prospect, he could simply leave without us having the opportunity to counter or get value. Makes me wonder if these guys even believed in him from the start.

Been saying this for a min, this FO is super conservative, they won't take any real risk whatsoever.

ES
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/1/2018  9:53 PM
Luke has a player NTC just like Baker did last year cause of Bird rights.

Also, for the 2 or 3 of you going back and forth bemoaning a 1 year offer to Robinson via some rumor.... someone should actually find the article and see if the reference is still there. I bet it is not. You guys get wound up for nothing.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/2/2018  8:27 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

Been saying this for a min, this FO is super conservative, they won't take any real risk whatsoever.

Might want to understand if the “rumor” is legit then perhaps understand the logic. If you disagree with it thats your choice. Do get bent out of shape over and over about things that are not really pertanent is kind of unhealthy. And you look stupid.
Don’t be lazy.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy