Panos wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Panos wrote:
MS wrote:CP3 - 4 years $160MM
Is that correct? 40MM PER YEAR?!
Yep, those max contracts for players over 30s are cap killers
No way i pay Chris Paul $40mm per
And that's him now, imagine paying 37 year old CP3 $40mil
Exactly, at his current age and his injury history, that's a terrible deal.

There are maybe 2 players I'd consider paying $40mm over the next 4 years. MAYBE. And that's Curry and Durant (Lebron too old for 4 years).
But probably not even them. How do you fill the rest of the roster?

Rookie scale deals and perfect timing. You need to get 5 or 6 first rounders within a 3 year span. If you can do that you might be able to have enough depth to weather a contract like that

Most definitely. Too bad our front office doesn't seem to understand that and has used cap space to sign veterans we want gone in a year, rather than leveraging it for more draft picks.

The Lakers, on the other hand, have operated like an intelligent franchise. They've built a compelling supporting cast of lottery and late first round picks they amassed over a short period of time. Even without a "star", they managed to be a 10th seed in a very deep Western Conference and still have the ability to improve from within. So if they ever do manage to sign that franchise-changing player or two, they can still keep they base they've already assembled to field a legitimate roster.

The Lakers built a "compelling supporting cast?" Really?

They can get you 33 wins on their own, in a difficult conference as one of the youngest teams in the league. So, yeah.

When you also factor in the fact that they will get better and still are mostly under cost-control measures that allow the franchise to get TWO stars via free agency? Yeah, I'd have to say they are pretty compelling. That model is that the Knicks should've been following for the last decade and haven't.

AUTOADVERT
y2zipper
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3287

7/1/2018  3:19 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
y2zipper wrote:
Uptown wrote:Not sure why George signed for 4 years...He should have signed a 1 year deal (1 +1) like Durant and he would have earned more money next year, 44 mil, because he is a 10 yr vet...additionally, I wouldnt trust Russ as my running mate if im seriously trying to win a chip...

It's a money chase. With a 3+1, he opts out of the 4th year and gets a bigger max at 30. Generally, NBA players are really good until about 32 so the last 2 years of that are ugly, but you get the pmayer.

Durant will opt out next year and get a supermax from Golden State. With LeBron being 33, this would be the year to take a supermax with the over 38 rule.

Essentially, the CBA is working as it should. The result is going to be the collapse of the middle market salary for players. Players on good teams are going to be max players, exception players or minimum players. Other than that it'll be expensive 1-year deals like Ariza.

Not with awful teams like the Knicks willing to give Hardaway Jr 75 million over 4 years

We won't see contracts like this silly one again

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

7/1/2018  3:26 PM
How about Knicks step in and help boost the OKC roster for this year.

Kanter/Lee/Mudiay for Melo/T-Ferguson.

OKC gets back their bench scoring big to alternate with Adams and veteran 3-D Lee who is ready for big playoff moments now.

Knicks buy Melo (expiring) out & let him go where he wants, we clear Lee's $ for next few years and we get youngster in T-Ferg.

NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

7/1/2018  3:29 PM
y2zipper wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
y2zipper wrote:
Uptown wrote:Not sure why George signed for 4 years...He should have signed a 1 year deal (1 +1) like Durant and he would have earned more money next year, 44 mil, because he is a 10 yr vet...additionally, I wouldnt trust Russ as my running mate if im seriously trying to win a chip...

It's a money chase. With a 3+1, he opts out of the 4th year and gets a bigger max at 30. Generally, NBA players are really good until about 32 so the last 2 years of that are ugly, but you get the pmayer.

Durant will opt out next year and get a supermax from Golden State. With LeBron being 33, this would be the year to take a supermax with the over 38 rule.

Essentially, the CBA is working as it should. The result is going to be the collapse of the middle market salary for players. Players on good teams are going to be max players, exception players or minimum players. Other than that it'll be expensive 1-year deals like Ariza.

Not with awful teams like the Knicks willing to give Hardaway Jr 75 million over 4 years

We won't see contracts like this silly one again

Did Steve Mills get fired?

NardDogNation

7/1/2018  3:35 PM
LivingLegend wrote:How about Knicks step in and help boost the OKC roster for this year.

OKC gets back their bench scoring big to alternate with Adams and veteran 3-D Lee who is ready for big playoff moments now.

Knicks buy Melo (expiring) out & let him go where he wants, we clear Lee's $ for next few years and we get youngster in T-Ferg.

The Thunder are looking to offset some of their luxury tax bill first and foremost. That trade adds money to their payroll, so I think it is unlikely they bite. I do think they'd want Lee for Melo in principal, which could save them as much as $19 million but we're over the cap and can't absorb that differential. We'd need a 3rd team involved to help take on some of the salaries that neither the Knicks or Thunder would want. Maybe Atlanta could/would help.

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

7/1/2018  7:28 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Panos wrote:
Panos wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Panos wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Panos wrote:

There are maybe 2 players I'd consider paying $40mm over the next 4 years. MAYBE. And that's Curry and Durant (Lebron too old for 4 years).

That is too much money for Paul. Also, losing Ariza really hurts the Rockets. I am a bit surprised that Morey gave Paul that kind of money this late in his career. That deal has the potential to be one of the worst contracts in the league in a year or two. Not a typical Morey move.

The Rockets new owner, Fertitta, apparently overruled Morey on this deal. Also on letting Ariza walk without a counteroffer.

The previous owner, Les Alexander, had a basic set of rules with Morey - Don't go into the tax zone, don't tank, put out a competitive product on the floor, otherwise, do whatever you want. Fertitta is willing to go into the tax zone, so that's one thing.

I don't see this relationship lasting forever. Morey needs to operate unchecked to really do his job.

If he becomes free, the Knicks should make him a Godfather type offer. Morey running the Knicks would be a godsend for this fanbase.

Point to note, while it's not being spoken, many teams are signing players to supermaxes with expectation that a major labor war is coming soon and another amnesty provision will be available accordingly. It's a GM's version of a "factory reset"

Chris Paul is a good marketing decision but a bad basketball one.

Paul George simply needed the cash right now and guy are signing fast because the market is clearly going to collapse. Guys want to lock in dollars right now. What happened to Caldwell Pope and THJr last year was telling ( both got bailed out at the end, for different reasons, the Lakers bailed out Rich Paul/Klutch by way overpaying KCP to entice LBJ) for many FAs this year.

Lots of guys might take close to nothing to play for contenders. These supermaxes plus that will drive owners nuts. Top heavy teams kill off the number of total playoff games, which drives the networks nuts. Which drives the advertisers and brands nuts.

The bubble is gonna pop on all of this. If Morey comes free, the Knicks should simply offer him full control and pay him what he wants.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/1/2018  8:59 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Panos wrote:
Panos wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Panos wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Panos wrote:

That is too much money for Paul. Also, losing Ariza really hurts the Rockets. I am a bit surprised that Morey gave Paul that kind of money this late in his career. That deal has the potential to be one of the worst contracts in the league in a year or two. Not a typical Morey move.

The Rockets new owner, Fertitta, apparently overruled Morey on this deal. Also on letting Ariza walk without a counteroffer.

The previous owner, Les Alexander, had a basic set of rules with Morey - Don't go into the tax zone, don't tank, put out a competitive product on the floor, otherwise, do whatever you want. Fertitta is willing to go into the tax zone, so that's one thing.

I don't see this relationship lasting forever. Morey needs to operate unchecked to really do his job.

If he becomes free, the Knicks should make him a Godfather type offer. Morey running the Knicks would be a godsend for this fanbase.

Point to note, while it's not being spoken, many teams are signing players to supermaxes with expectation that a major labor war is coming soon and another amnesty provision will be available accordingly. It's a GM's version of a "factory reset"

Paul George simply needed the cash right now and guy are signing fast because the market is clearly going to collapse. Guys want to lock in dollars right now. What happened to Caldwell Pope and THJr last year was telling ( both got bailed out at the end, for different reasons, the Lakers bailed out Rich Paul/Klutch by way overpaying KCP to entice LBJ) for many FAs this year.

Lots of guys might take close to nothing to play for contenders. These supermaxes plus that will drive owners nuts. Top heavy teams kill off the number of total playoff games, which drives the networks nuts. Which drives the advertisers and brands nuts.

The bubble is gonna pop on all of this. If Morey comes free, the Knicks should simply offer him full control and pay him what he wants.

That makes sense. Morey is too good to lose Ariza and still gn Paul to that deal.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
NardDogNation

7/1/2018  9:19 PM
Welpee wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Panos wrote:
Panos wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Panos wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Panos wrote:

Rookie scale deals and perfect timing. You need to get 5 or 6 first rounders within a 3 year span. If you can do that you might be able to have enough depth to weather a contract like that

Most definitely. Too bad our front office doesn't seem to understand that and has used cap space to sign veterans we want gone in a year, rather than leveraging it for more draft picks.

The Lakers, on the other hand, have operated like an intelligent franchise. They've built a compelling supporting cast of lottery and late first round picks they amassed over a short period of time. Even without a "star", they managed to be a 10th seed in a very deep Western Conference and still have the ability to improve from within. So if they ever do manage to sign that franchise-changing player or two, they can still keep they base they've already assembled to field a legitimate roster.

The Lakers built a "compelling supporting cast?" Really?

...and evidently, LeBron "the GOAT" James felt the same way.

NardDogNation

7/1/2018  9:21 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Panos wrote:
Panos wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Panos wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Panos wrote:

This makes perfect sense and I hope we'd bring Morey into the fold. He's been a favorite of mine for some time. Most would rank Ainge ahead of him but I still view Morey as the best in the business.

Chandler
Member: #6197

7/2/2018  12:29 PM
some of these deals seem so insane that Melo's NTC etc looks like a bargain (if one fairly considers that there was a time his offense could make you tolerate his defense -- i.e., before he got fat and lazy and even more full of himself)

Honestly, I see things shaping up for the Knicks in the next wave. If you consider how long it took GS or Harden etc to be championship, we still have some runway for KP and his minions. So many of the current top teams will look like Uncle Drew on a max contract.

I can easily imagine a situation where in a few years we'll be competing with Philly and Boston and maybe Milwaukee if they get their act together.

(5)(5)
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

7/2/2018  12:58 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:How about Knicks step in and help boost the OKC roster for this year.

The Thunder are looking to offset some of their luxury tax bill first and foremost. That trade adds money to their payroll, so I think it is unlikely they bite. I do think they'd want Lee for Melo in principal, which could save them as much as $19 million but we're over the cap and can't absorb that differential. We'd need a 3rd team involved to help take on some of the salaries that neither the Knicks or Thunder would want. Maybe Atlanta could/would help.

Understood on the money part for Thunder but at same time I would argue that winning is #1 priority due to the amount of $$$ they have already sunk into the roster.

Kanter/Lee both address 2 very weak spots on their roster - Kanter provides an impact inside scorer/rebounder/energy guy that relieves Adam's and Lee gives them a vet 2 way shooter who won't wilt under playoff pressure and can play off 2 ball dominant players in Westbrook/George.

Melo is a defensive and over the hill 1 dimensional eye-sore and removing him is in their best interests.

Knicks get Ferguson as a reward for making OKC more competitive NOW.

Paul George Staying in OKC - 4 years 137MM

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy