NY contracts to unload for?
Author Thread
Stevo718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #559
6/27/2018  8:40 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/27/2018  8:41 PM
Noah is unmovable.
Baker we let expire.
Courtney/Lance/THJ i think we have a chance to move for shorter contracts.

Would Mavs do THJ/Lance for Wesley Mathews?

He has one year left. Mavs get some bench help with Lance and THJ is an upgrade to Mathews... we unload a ton of salary.
We let Mathews expire.

Or how about Lee for a future secound rounder from Dallas?

AUTOADVERT
unstopaball12
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1137
Philippines
6/28/2018  12:46 AM
Courtney Lee can get us more than a second round pick, I believe a team that is contending will always see him as a good threat to put them over and that first round pick will be in the late 20's.

If the Knicks dont resign Oquinn and Kanter, and use Noah and he performs, maybe we can trade him this deadline? or what if we stretch him next year before july 1 2019 would that give us more freedom?

y2zipper
Member: #3287

6/28/2018  2:50 AM
Lee won't get an asset in return because contending teams will just wait for the buyout market.

But yeah, Lee and THJr should be moved for shorter-term money if it's possible.

smackeddog
Member: #883
6/28/2018  3:08 AM
Noah, if needed, can be stretched so his salary can come down to about $7mil- we only need to do this if/when we need an extra $12mil cap space.

Baker is just one year and $5mil, which is peanuts. The Spurs were reportedly interested in him last time he was an FA, so you could always look into that.

C-Lee is movable, I think. Twolves and Sixers will be looking for/will need some 3D SGs (Sixers Reddick is a FA, and the Twolves have lost Crawford and have very little fire power on the bench), along with some other teams. The main competition will be Bradley who's a free agent, who I think could end up with the Sixers. Remember the MLE is $8mil per year, and Lee is only £12mil, which isn't too vast.

No point in doing Mavs scenarios until we know what their big move is- do they trade for DeAndre Jordan? Sign Cousins? Randle? Luck out?

Remember Perry said one of the things he learnt over the years was the importance of having a big veteran presence on you teams, so there's no way we'd offload Lee AND Thomas.

unstopaball12
Philippines
6/28/2018  5:24 AM
y2zipper wrote:Lee won't get an asset in return because contending teams will just wait for the buyout market.

But yeah, Lee and THJr should be moved for shorter-term money if it's possible.

Buy out market only works for contending teams.

I think Lee can be traded to multiple teams:

Pho for Dudley and picks
Sac for Shumpert/Randolph and picks
Phi for Bayless, filler and picks
Orl for Ross and picks.

Lee can be traded to teams who believe he can lift them to a better level and just take his extra year and add a 2nd round pick.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/28/2018  9:07 AM
Stevo718 wrote:Noah is unmovable.
Baker we let expire.

He has one year left. Mavs get some bench help with Lance and THJ is an upgrade to Mathews... we unload a ton of salary.
We let Mathews expire.

We don't need to move Hardaway. He is a good player that isn't preventing us from offering a max contract next summer. We can move him the following year or let him expire and sign someone else if the opportunity is there to add another elite guy. But he isn't preventing us from signing Irving, Walker, or another max guy next summer. We still need to hold onto our talented players. No one is coming here because Hardaway is here, but bottom line is he is a starting caliber SG who averages 18 ppg and can take over games by himself here and there.

unstopaball12
Philippines
6/28/2018  9:18 AM
Hardaway and Mudiay are the 2 players that fans frown upon that Im excited about. I want to see if Fizdale can squeeze anything from them and go from there.
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

6/28/2018  10:00 AM
C.Lee can be moved if he's playing good like he was last year around the trade deadline because that's when teams have a better idea if they're a playoff team or not and playoff teams always trade for vets that can help them in the playoffs so i'm looking for C.Lee to be here for at least the first couple months of the season but i'd rather we just trade him asap.

Timmy is not a bad player he's just overpaid. He had a horrible slump with his shooting last year but any Knicks fan should know that he's a better shooter then what he showed last year. I really think all the pressure he put on himself, especially after KP went down, of thinking he was the man who had to be our top scorer was just too much for him cause he's not ever gonna be that kind of player. He'll never be the #1, #2 or even #3 man on a good team but i think he'd be a much better piece on a team with more star talent on it as either the starting SG or a really good 6th man.

IMO Mudiay is nothing more then a 10th or 11th man on a team if that. I really wish we would of had that 2nd round pick we traded for him but i also get them making that trade and hoping a change of scenery would help him, it didn't so far but i'm good with waiting to see what Fiz can get out of him in what's really a throw away season for us next year anyway.

MS
Member: #724
6/28/2018  10:51 AM
Hardaway you can certainly keep. I don't love him he's a low IQ player, but he can certainly score. We just need to get his three point attempts down from 7 to 5. Shooting 31% is unacceptable.

George Hill has an interesting contract, because it's only $1MM is guaranteed in 2019-20, so he can be bought out. A team like Cleveland might find it interesting to take Hardaway if we needed to move him to clear space.

I still don't know where Perry was on the Dwight Howard trade, would have happily surrendered a first round pick or a number of seconds to make the same trade the nets did and clear that level of salary.

Lee to the Suns is a deal I could see happening. They need veteran leaders to help Booker, Bridges, etc...

smackeddog
Member: #883
6/28/2018  1:19 PM
MS wrote:Hardaway you can certainly keep. I don't love him he's a low IQ player, but he can certainly score. We just need to get his three point attempts down from 7 to 5. Shooting 31% is unacceptable.

George Hill has an interesting contract, because it's only $1MM is guaranteed in 2019-20, so he can be bought out. A team like Cleveland might find it interesting to take Hardaway if we needed to move him to clear space.

I still don't know where Perry was on the Dwight Howard trade, would have happily surrendered a first round pick or a number of seconds to make the same trade the nets did and clear that level of salary.

Lee to the Suns is a deal I could see happening. They need veteran leaders to help Booker, Bridges, etc...

I'd never of thought of offering Noah for Dwight, but I sure wish we had- guess we all got taken by surprise by the Mosgov trade.

knicks1248
Member: #582
6/28/2018  1:37 PM
Baker we let expire.

We let Mathews expire.

There's no in the world that MILLS is trading THJ anytime soon.

ES
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
6/28/2018  1:44 PM
THJr has improved the last 2 years. He is still young and appears to work his butt off in the summer. I am ok with him staying on. He can be at worse a productive 6th man.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

6/28/2018  2:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/28/2018  2:50 PM
Who wouldn't want to keep THJ when he supplies highlights

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
dwiley20
Member: #5755

6/28/2018  3:21 PM
unstopaball12 wrote:Courtney Lee can get us more than a second round pick, I believe a team that is contending will always see him as a good threat to put them over and that first round pick will be in the late 20's.

If the Knicks dont resign Oquinn and Kanter, and use Noah and he performs, maybe we can trade him this deadline? or what if we stretch him next year before july 1 2019 would that give us more freedom?

Lee definitely has Trade value Defender and Shooter ..we need more than a 2nd rounder
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

6/28/2018  8:48 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:Who wouldn't want to keep THJ when he supplies highlights

I can go find plenty of clips like that on Lebron or Durant or S.Curry so would that mean you wouldn't want any of them since they make bad plays as well? Timmy isn't a star player and every star and non star player makes mistakes.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/28/2018  10:41 PM
dwiley20 wrote:
unstopaball12 wrote:Courtney Lee can get us more than a second round pick, I believe a team that is contending will always see him as a good threat to put them over and that first round pick will be in the late 20's.

Lee definitely has Trade value Defender and Shooter ..we need more than a 2nd rounder

Second is the new first lol the market surrounding picks has changed over the past five years or so. We should shoot for a first-year rounder, but expect a high or mid second.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
6/29/2018  6:03 AM
We are going to keep Lee for veteran leadership. We will probably try to trade him at the deadline.
Trust the Process
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

6/29/2018  6:05 AM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:THJr has improved the last 2 years. He is still young and appears to work his butt off in the summer. I am ok with him staying on. He can be at worse a productive 6th man.

He is so overpaid, unless you have multiple stars on rookie deals to offset his salary he drags the team down. He is the single reason I have no confidence in this regime because no FO in the league was giving Hardaway a 4 year deal at that salary. How can someone be so inept not see that 4 years killed our flexibility for the future. Why did Mills have to make Tim Hardaway jr an all in move. Why not offer 3 years and if they match they match. He treated Hardaway Jr. like he was frickin Giannis

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

6/29/2018  6:07 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Baker we let expire.

We let Mathews expire.

There's no in the world that MILLS is trading THJ anytime soon.

We will end up giving a first rounder away to get rid of him in his last year for cap space to sign a star.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

6/29/2018  4:18 PM
Jmpasq wrote:How can someone be so inept not see that 4 years killed our flexibility for the future. Why did Mills have to make Tim Hardaway jr an all in move. Why not offer 3 years and if they match they match. He treated Hardaway Jr. like he was frickin Giannis

Two things

Mills misread the marketplace. The prevailing theory is that Mills signed him to use the cap space currently, then hope/plan for THJr to further develop as he showed in Atlanta. Then he would be a cost value asset as a wing against future cap projections/costs and/or would be effective trade bait.

The Danny Green/Alec Burks contracts sort of reset the market for wings and there was a lasting ripple even until last offseason.

The second thing is Mills like any NBA GM needs to justify that he did "something" to try to make the team better. Remember NBA GMs care about the next three months more than the next three years. It's sad but it's a survival strategy.

You are right, in that from a team building perspective, it's not defensible. But from a marketing/survival strategy, you can see how it might help Mills individually but not the team as a whole.

This is why you don't hang onto people you are wishy/washy about. You don't leave them dangling long enough to burn you to save themselves. Letting go of Phil Jackson even just one year earlier, look at how much damage would have been saved.

NY contracts to unload for?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy