[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Payton let go by Suns
Author Thread
nykshaknbake
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #492
6/24/2018  10:25 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:So let me get this straight...Two teams with worse records than the Knicks, Orlando and Phoenix, both in desperate need of a PG, get rid of Payton, and folks here want him on the Knicks, where he can slow down Frank's development?

Makes a lot of sense...Yup.

The Suns did draft a PG in the 2nd round. And anyway I wouldn't be looking at 2 teams with a worse record than the Knicks as models on how to run a franchise. It would essentially cost nothing to grab him. Sure, it probably turns into nothing and you release him, but right now with KP out and nothing to play for I want to have a few more pokers in the fire.

AUTOADVERT
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/25/2018  3:05 AM
reub wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:So let me get this straight...Two teams with worse records than the Knicks, Orlando and Phoenix, both in desperate need of a PG, get rid of Payton, and folks here want him on the Knicks, where he can slow down Frank's development?

Mudiay is in the same class.

Getting there...not there yet (for me, anyway), but I understand where you are coming from.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
blkexec
Member: #748
6/25/2018  8:26 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/25/2018  8:27 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:So let me get this straight...Two teams with worse records than the Knicks, Orlando and Phoenix, both in desperate need of a PG, get rid of Payton, and folks here BRIGGS want him on the Knicks, where he can slow down Frank's development?

Just call it like you see it.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
WaltLongmire

6/25/2018  12:24 PM
blkexec wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:So let me get this straight...Two teams with worse records than the Knicks, Orlando and Phoenix, both in desperate need of a PG, get rid of Payton, and folks here BRIGGS want him on the Knicks, where he can slow down Frank's development?

Just call it like you see it.

Cruel...oh so cruel.

Maybe I would have taken a flier on him last year...instead of Jack, assuming we could have gotten him dirt cheap, but we have Frank, Burke, and Mudiay to evaluate...plus we have Lee, Dotson, Baker, Trier on the team, and THJ is really a guard, too.

I could see Payton as a backup on a playoff quality team...but can't see any team signing to be their PG for the next 3 years or so.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/25/2018  5:14 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:Actually they're renouncing his rights in July along with Alex Len......and no thanks on Elfrid but i'd take a look at A.Len.

Just looked up Len's stats and they look real good. How bad is his defense?

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
6/25/2018  11:41 PM
Payton would take up a roster slot and cap space.... for what reason? We have enough to do developing the guards we have.
Rose is not the answer.
Chandler
Member: #6197

6/26/2018  1:05 PM
it's all about the hair. really

It's a reflection of the dude's priorities.

(5)(5)
smackeddog
Member: #883
6/26/2018  1:37 PM
Chandler wrote:it's all about the hair. really

When I was young I used to think it was lame when middle aged men mocked young peoples hair. Now I'm a middle aged man I'm not going to mock younger peoples hair- we've got greying and balding to contend with!

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/26/2018  2:25 PM
smackeddog wrote:

When I was young I used to think it was lame when middle aged men mocked young peoples hair. Now I'm a middle aged man I'm not going to mock younger peoples hair- we've got greying and balding to contend with!

True! Except even young people are mocking him.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
WaltLongmire

6/26/2018  2:32 PM

All about the branding...some need an identifiable "look," especially for the video games.

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
6/26/2018  4:00 PM
The hair has already made the video games - he's made it! If it's in any way preventing him from maximizing his talent, it should go. If it helps him draw a few more fouls, it's probably a plus, though.

I was very vocal about my desire for the Knicks to have traded for Payton instead of Mudiay. Now we have another shot. Payton is a triple double (perhaps even a quadruple) waiting to happen, who knows about "winning basketball" but can't argue about the "tangibles". Big stats. I think Payton's a better overall player than Mudiay nor Ntilikina, but a summer of seasoning with Fizdale and crew, who knows - we're hoping they come back as different players. (Payton, at 24, is 2 years older than Mudiay, 4 years older than Ntilikina)

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Chandler
Member: #6197

6/26/2018  4:45 PM
there's an opportunity cost. every minute he gets with first or second team is a minute that someone else doesn't

as someone else mentioned, you have 2 pg needy teams who punted. there's something going on. I mention the hair not to joke about (even though it is ridiculous) but as a symptom that suggests his priorities are skewed

I hope we let Mudiay go, if he doesn't impress and quickly. He had his try out; he had his exit interview; that's enough.

(5)(5)
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

6/26/2018  11:07 PM
Chandler wrote:there's an opportunity cost. every minute he gets with first or second team is a minute that someone else doesn't

Yes and No at the same time.

When the talent deficit is so extreme at one position, sometimes you just need warm bodies.

A lot of people were upset Dotson and Frank N weren't pulling more minutes last season. You can't run rookies into the ground. The transition from a college game schedule to a NBA game schedule is dramatically different. If the Knicks could do better than Jarrett Jack, they would have. But they couldn't. They were hoping Ron Baker would pan out, he did not.

Payton would be an interesting minimum contract signing. You can take a look and if it doesn't work out, you let him go. Some of this will depend on what happens in free agency. If the Knicks can get some other bargains, Payton might look like a pass. But maybe he's a take otherwise. It's gonna take a little time to shake out.

But the advantage is still the pathway to playing time. In that regard the Knicks actually might have an advantage if they do want Payton

Payton let go by Suns

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy