Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
6/25/2018  2:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/25/2018  2:39 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:Just happy he isn’t the Knicks problem. Thanks Phil for doing something but to little to late should have never given the contract to begin with.
I might be misunderstanding what you mean. Why is Phil being thanked here? He gave Melo a ntc, a huge trade kicker, and an almost max deal. Phil gave out the worst contract in professional sports. What is the praise for?

IMO the contract he gave Noah is worse for the amount of years he offered. Melo at least was viewed as a star. Put up 27-8-3 on 77 games on his contract year and the 54 win season was the season prior. He treated Melo like he was a star financially. Which is why Melo playing the victim about Phil's "harsh words" didn't move me.

Noah on the other hand played 69 & 29 games. There was no reason to believe that he would be able to stay healthy. 2 year deal at most.

+1
Melo's contract obviously was tradeable. Even our vaunted new FO (or any FO for that matter)is going to be able to get anything for Noah. Horrible play, injuries, griping and a drug suspension. Yeah, thanks Phil.

At least he didn't give away any draft picks. (Copyright PhilsFeet, LLC).

Nobody is all good, nobody is all bad. That is the problem with a lot of Knicks fans. It's always the extreme of one or the other. Phil did some good, Phil did some bad. Some things have been argued on what should be categorized as good or bad.

Like we could ha e traded this current 2018 pick for Teague when he was on the Pacers. You could say KP, Frank, Knox if they turn out to be any type of decent core. Were all able to be had due to Phil. That's the good. The bad is we possibly would have had more assets than that if Phil went full rebuild and looked to stack up from the door. Rather than sit on the fence and not collect or build enough quality for a winner while offering some silly long term contracts.

Phil personally had little time left due to age and health.
Dolan last sturpanch song with hiring Phil was as all others or may be the worst one.
It was time to blow it up, let Melo lose, and clear the house.
Hire young upcoming GM and coach and start long term rebuild.
It took 2 more years to get to this point.
Some idiots get it a couple of year later that all of the world.
But later is better that never.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
6/25/2018  6:54 PM
jrodmc wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:Just happy he isn’t the Knicks problem. Thanks Phil for doing something but to little to late should have never given the contract to begin with.
I might be misunderstanding what you mean. Why is Phil being thanked here? He gave Melo a ntc, a huge trade kicker, and an almost max deal. Phil gave out the worst contract in professional sports. What is the praise for?

IMO the contract he gave Noah is worse for the amount of years he offered. Melo at least was viewed as a star. Put up 27-8-3 on 77 games on his contract year and the 54 win season was the season prior. He treated Melo like he was a star financially. Which is why Melo playing the victim about Phil's "harsh words" didn't move me.

Noah on the other hand played 69 & 29 games. There was no reason to believe that he would be able to stay healthy. 2 year deal at most.

+1
Melo's contract obviously was tradeable. Even our vaunted new FO (or any FO for that matter)is going to be able to get anything for Noah. Horrible play, injuries, griping and a drug suspension. Yeah, thanks Phil.

When your a loosing team your going to hand out stupid contracts that make no sense. Quite frankly every losing team has a stupid contract, chandler parsons, lou deng, bimbo. You have to over pay for talent because you need them more than they need you.

when your good you get market value, that's why we over paid for Noah, THJ, Lance, baker, Melo. If we were contending, Melo would have sacrifice much more than he did

ES
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/25/2018  8:19 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

+1

When your a loosing team your going to hand out stupid contracts that make no sense. Quite frankly every losing team has a stupid contract, chandler parsons, lou deng, bimbo. You have to over pay for talent because you need them more than they need you.

when your good you get market value, that's why we over paid for Noah, THJ, Lance, baker, Melo. If we were contending, Melo would have sacrifice much more than he did

Noah was signed in order to try and win was he not?

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
knicks1248
Member: #582
6/25/2018  9:34 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

+1

Any you play the game to do what?

ES
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/25/2018  10:31 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

+1

Any you play the game to do what?

You play to win the game. I can actually answer questions. Now the question is how to actually build a winner? Now according to you. In order to sign free agents without overpaying you have to win. So how do you start to win so that you can sign free agents without overpaying?

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
6/26/2018  3:33 PM
Long term contracts in sports, volatility in team prospects, and relatively speedy depreciation of player value create awkward choices for teams and players. There is also a complex interplay between individual and team accomplishment in team sports, although these are converging with analytics more accurately appraising value. In Melo’s case, the choice was fairly obvious and he absolutely should have collected his check. The data on his trajectory at his age is fairly predictive that his individual ability is in a decline, marginal differences based on team context notwithstanding. Being a bystander on a ready-made championship team is hardly an accomplishment, and in fact a gimmick.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
6/26/2018  5:04 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
anrst wrote:does Melo think no team in the league would offer him, say, 2 years at 18 per if he opts out? Or 3 years 12 per? That would be more guaranteed money than 28m.

This is possibly an indictment of Melo's real value in the league being mid-level exemption level.

I mean, who would get a better deal in this market: Melo or Beasley?

Dude, I've always been a Melo guy, but I don't see ANYONE giving him 2 or 3 years at this point, especially after griping and being a useless part of getting ousted in the first round. He'd have to be dumber than most of the haters on this board to walk away from 28 mil.

As soon as you saw him fading as a player with OKC, you knew he was never going to give up the final year of his contract.

Me?...If I'm him I am losing 25 lbs, at least, and doing anything I can to help OKC next season. even if it means coming in off the bench. If he wants to stay in the league and get signed by a contending team, he needs a new plan, and coming in at the weight he was last year is not going to get it done.

Not sure he has it in him to do this, and I don't care personally what he does, but if he's hunting for something to add to his legacy, he needs to make some changes.

I doubt Melo's going to change at this late date. And losing 25 lbs is not going to do anything for his game but make it easier for PF's to beat up on his tired knees. I thought OKC was a good fit because he could get kick outs from the little stat machine and occassionaly revert to bully ball when things weren't falling from outside.

He can always go to SacTown, where NBA scorers go to die.

fishmike wrote:you suggest a change of approach. Something Melo has never been capable of unless it means shooting more. He is what he is. Cute to see how jrod is still vested in his Melo love.

Ahhh fish, always there with your neverending "I hate Melo/don't really hate Melo". So consistent. If not as cute.
Well at least your bipolarity kept you from trying to explain how Me70 should have left $28 million on the table for the good of the league and humanity.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/27/2018  9:13 AM
jrodmc wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
anrst wrote:does Melo think no team in the league would offer him, say, 2 years at 18 per if he opts out? Or 3 years 12 per? That would be more guaranteed money than 28m.

This is possibly an indictment of Melo's real value in the league being mid-level exemption level.

Dude, I've always been a Melo guy, but I don't see ANYONE giving him 2 or 3 years at this point, especially after griping and being a useless part of getting ousted in the first round. He'd have to be dumber than most of the haters on this board to walk away from 28 mil.

As soon as you saw him fading as a player with OKC, you knew he was never going to give up the final year of his contract.

Me?...If I'm him I am losing 25 lbs, at least, and doing anything I can to help OKC next season. even if it means coming in off the bench. If he wants to stay in the league and get signed by a contending team, he needs a new plan, and coming in at the weight he was last year is not going to get it done.

Not sure he has it in him to do this, and I don't care personally what he does, but if he's hunting for something to add to his legacy, he needs to make some changes.

I doubt Melo's going to change at this late date. And losing 25 lbs is not going to do anything for his game but make it easier for PF's to beat up on his tired knees. I thought OKC was a good fit because he could get kick outs from the little stat machine and occassionaly revert to bully ball when things weren't falling from outside.

fishmike wrote:you suggest a change of approach. Something Melo has never been capable of unless it means shooting more. He is what he is. Cute to see how jrod is still vested in his Melo love.

Ahhh fish, always there with your neverending "I hate Melo/don't really hate Melo". So consistent. If not as cute.
Well at least your bipolarity kept you from trying to explain how Me70 should have left $28 million on the table for the good of the league and humanity.
its stupid to think he should have walked away from that money and I am not stupid. Its his money and nobody elses. As for the "does he deserve it" debate I have more important things to do like cleaning my fishtank and wanking off
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
6/27/2018  10:22 AM
fishmike wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
jrodmc wrote:

its stupid to think he should have walked away from that money and I am not stupid. Its his money and nobody elses. As for the "does he deserve it" debate I have more important things to do like cleaning my fishtank and wanking off

at the same time???

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/27/2018  10:53 AM
Marv wrote:
fishmike wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
jrodmc wrote:

at the same time???

LOL!!!! depends on how much time the morning allows
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
6/27/2018  7:22 PM
Wow, not stupid, and when pressed for time, he can go right AND left!
Stein: Melo is not going to opt out of his deal

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy