arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
6/24/2018  7:55 PM
Uptown wrote:
martin wrote:
Uptown wrote:
franco12 wrote:I never thought Melo would opt out, but he has generational wealth at this point, even I think with the divorce (he is getting divorced?)

I might opt out and explore options, find a better place. LA, Miami, Houston.

Why not chance a ring? If you are a competitor, it's what you would do. See David West.

Why not chase a ring after next season? After he gets his 28 mil? Melo would have to be a moron to leave that type of money on the table? Pretty sure David West didn't start chasing rings until after his contract expired...

David West left a ton of money to join GSW

Good catch...I normally fact check before I post. West left 12.9 mil on the table when he left the Pacers for the Spurs. Still a big difference between 28 and 13....I Can't blame Melo for not leaving that kind of bread on the table...

12.9 and 15.... Hmm... Is is a big difference for multimillionaire?
I guess for one who value winning with less to nothing 2.1 mils is a big difference.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
AUTOADVERT
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/24/2018  8:04 PM
arkrud wrote:
Uptown wrote:
martin wrote:
Uptown wrote:
franco12 wrote:I never thought Melo would opt out, but he has generational wealth at this point, even I think with the divorce (he is getting divorced?)

Why not chance a ring? If you are a competitor, it's what you would do. See David West.

Why not chase a ring after next season? After he gets his 28 mil? Melo would have to be a moron to leave that type of money on the table? Pretty sure David West didn't start chasing rings until after his contract expired...

Good catch...I normally fact check before I post. West left 12.9 mil on the table when he left the Pacers for the Spurs. Still a big difference between 28 and 13....I Can't blame Melo for not leaving that kind of bread on the table...

12.9 and 15.... Hmm... Is is a big difference for multimillionaire?
I guess for one who value winning with less to nothing 2.1 mils is a big difference.

No, 12.9 and 28 million...That's a difference of 15 million...Millionaires live different lives than we do so its difficult to judge...As far as winning is concerned, OKC is not without talent. Either way, he can ring chase after he collects the 28 mil that phil gave to him.

Welpee
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6239

6/24/2018  9:17 PM
Uptown wrote:
martin wrote:
Uptown wrote:

I agree, can't blame Melo for not leaving that type of money on the table, especially knowing there are no more big deals awaiting him moving forward. Beside, he may have it both ways. Negotiate a buy-out and sign a low dollar deal elsewhere and net the same money if not more.
reub
Member: #6227

6/24/2018  9:18 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
Uptown wrote:
reub wrote:What is Melo worth in the open market these days? Maybe five million dollars? Beasley money?

Which is why it would be dumb on Melo's part to walk away from all that money...Nobody in their right mind should do that!!

Thankfully he isnt our problem anymore Phew!

That's for sure.

TLover
Member: #381
USA
6/24/2018  9:53 PM
Sounds crazy but we could trade for his expiring contract & future 1st for Hardaway & Lee
reub
Member: #6227

6/24/2018  10:00 PM
TLover wrote:Sounds crazy but we could trade for his expiring contract & future 1st for Hardaway & Lee

Does he still have that NTC?

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/24/2018  10:09 PM
reub wrote:
TLover wrote:Sounds crazy but we could trade for his expiring contract & future 1st for Hardaway & Lee

Does he still have that NTC?

yeah. He was given a ton of money and power with that contract. He also still
Has a trade kicker but I believe it is less because it is the final year of his deal.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

6/25/2018  9:22 AM
Melo made comments when he was with the Knicks that his NCAA championship and Olympic medals were enough to cement his legacy... I don't think he's ever been even close to being as driven as LeBron or even Durant. He really doesn't give a **** about winning a chip. He's also always been about the money. So, yeah, not surprised at all he opted in.
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/25/2018  9:27 AM
Just happy he isn’t the Knicks problem. Thanks Phil for doing something but to little to late should have never given the contract to begin with.
CrushAlot
USA
6/25/2018  9:36 AM
Vmart wrote:Just happy he isn’t the Knicks problem. Thanks Phil for doing something but to little to late should have never given the contract to begin with.
I might be misunderstanding what you mean. Why is Phil being thanked here? He gave Melo a ntc, a huge trade kicker, and an almost max deal. Phil gave out the worst contract in professional sports. What is the praise for?
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/25/2018  10:33 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:Just happy he isn’t the Knicks problem. Thanks Phil for doing something but to little to late should have never given the contract to begin with.
I might be misunderstanding what you mean. Why is Phil being thanked here? He gave Melo a ntc, a huge trade kicker, and an almost max deal. Phil gave out the worst contract in professional sports. What is the praise for?

IMO the contract he gave Noah is worse for the amount of years he offered. Melo at least was viewed as a star. Put up 27-8-3 on 77 games on his contract year and the 54 win season was the season prior. He treated Melo like he was a star financially. Which is why Melo playing the victim about Phil's "harsh words" didn't move me.

Noah on the other hand played 69 & 29 games. There was no reason to believe that he would be able to stay healthy. 2 year deal at most.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Chandler
Member: #6197

6/25/2018  10:40 AM
I get that he's taking the money. What I don't get is his PR. All of these smug posts to the effect of yes I suck but I'm getting paid a lot of money and your ream (OKC) will suffer for it.

I wonder if OKC can swap him for Anderson at this point?

(5)(5)
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
6/25/2018  11:31 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

IMO the contract he gave Noah is worse for the amount of years he offered. Melo at least was viewed as a star. Put up 27-8-3 on 77 games on his contract year and the 54 win season was the season prior. He treated Melo like he was a star financially. Which is why Melo playing the victim about Phil's "harsh words" didn't move me.

Noah on the other hand played 69 & 29 games. There was no reason to believe that he would be able to stay healthy. 2 year deal at most.

+1
Melo's contract obviously was tradeable. Even our vaunted new FO (or any FO for that matter)is going to be able to get anything for Noah. Horrible play, injuries, griping and a drug suspension. Yeah, thanks Phil.

At least he didn't give away any draft picks. (Copyright PhilsFeet, LLC).

anrst
Member: #1054
USA
6/25/2018  12:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/25/2018  12:01 PM
does Melo think no team in the league would offer him, say, 2 years at 18 per if he opts out? Or 3 years 12 per? That would be more guaranteed money than 28m.

This is possibly an indictment of Melo's real value in the league being mid-level exemption level.

I mean, who would get a better deal in this market: Melo or Beasley?

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
6/25/2018  12:07 PM
anrst wrote:does Melo think no team in the league would offer him, say, 2 years at 18 per if he opts out? Or 3 years 12 per? That would be more guaranteed money than 28m.

This is possibly an indictment of Melo's real value in the league being mid-level exemption level.

Dude, I've always been a Melo guy, but I don't see ANYONE giving him 2 or 3 years at this point, especially after griping and being a useless part of getting ousted in the first round. He'd have to be dumber than most of the haters on this board to walk away from 28 mil.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/25/2018  12:47 PM
Welpee wrote:
Uptown wrote:
martin wrote:
Uptown wrote:

I agree, can't blame Melo for not leaving that type of money on the table, especially knowing there are no more big deals awaiting him moving forward. Beside, he may have it both ways. Negotiate a buy-out and sign a low dollar deal elsewhere and net the same money if not more.

At this point he can probably have this last upcoming season on a playoff team as a starter and then the following year can officially transition to ring-chasing reserve.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/25/2018  12:52 PM
jrodmc wrote:
anrst wrote:does Melo think no team in the league would offer him, say, 2 years at 18 per if he opts out? Or 3 years 12 per? That would be more guaranteed money than 28m.

Dude, I've always been a Melo guy, but I don't see ANYONE giving him 2 or 3 years at this point, especially after griping and being a useless part of getting ousted in the first round. He'd have to be dumber than most of the haters on this board to walk away from 28 mil.

As soon as you saw him fading as a player with OKC, you knew he was never going to give up the final year of his contract.

Me?...If I'm him I am losing 25 lbs, at least, and doing anything I can to help OKC next season. even if it means coming in off the bench. If he wants to stay in the league and get signed by a contending team, he needs a new plan, and coming in at the weight he was last year is not going to get it done.

Not sure he has it in him to do this, and I don't care personally what he does, but if he's hunting for something to add to his legacy, he needs to make some changes.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/25/2018  12:57 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
jrodmc wrote:

As soon as you saw him fading as a player with OKC, you knew he was never going to give up the final year of his contract.

Me?...If I'm him I am losing 25 lbs, at least, and doing anything I can to help OKC next season. even if it means coming in off the bench. If he wants to stay in the league and get signed by a contending team, he needs a new plan, and coming in at the weight he was last year is not going to get it done.

Not sure he has it in him to do this, and I don't care personally what he does, but if he's hunting for something to add to his legacy, he needs to make some changes.

you suggest a change of approach. Something Melo has never been capable of unless it means shooting more. He is what he is. Cute to see how jrod is still vested in his Melo love.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
CrushAlot
USA
6/25/2018  1:06 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
jrodmc wrote:

I agree. If they are able to keep Grant he should start. I saw some stats that pointed to Melo. Sing a more efficient player when he played with Felton instead of Westbrook.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/25/2018  1:40 PM
jrodmc wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

+1
Melo's contract obviously was tradeable. Even our vaunted new FO (or any FO for that matter)is going to be able to get anything for Noah. Horrible play, injuries, griping and a drug suspension. Yeah, thanks Phil.

At least he didn't give away any draft picks. (Copyright PhilsFeet, LLC).

Nobody is all good, nobody is all bad. That is the problem with a lot of Knicks fans. It's always the extreme of one or the other. Phil did some good, Phil did some bad. Some things have been argued on what should be categorized as good or bad.

Like we could ha e traded this current 2018 pick for Teague when he was on the Pacers. You could say KP, Frank, Knox if they turn out to be any type of decent core. Were all able to be had due to Phil. That's the good. The bad is we possibly would have had more assets than that if Phil went full rebuild and looked to stack up from the door. Rather than sit on the fence and not collect or build enough quality for a winner while offering some silly long term contracts.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Stein: Melo is not going to opt out of his deal

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy