I'd grade this draft a c-
Author Thread
StarksEwing1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4451

6/22/2018  2:46 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
blkexec wrote:
smackeddog wrote:I like the Knox pick- I've been on quite the journey. At the start of the workouts I posted that awful video of him trying to dribble, and it out me off. But slowly over the course of the past few weeks I've liked more and more of what I've read and seen.

Looking at the bigger picture, we'll likely aim to add Irving next off season, who should fit well with Frank in the back court, with Tim Jr as sixth man, Knox at SF and KP at pf, that's a nice foundation. Add in next years pick (hopefully high as we don't have a front court this season), and I'm hopeful.

Priorities now are a tough pf/c and another SF/PF

I'm the same way. I watched him in the Tournament for the first time, and I didn't like what I saw. He seems focused too much on his offensive game, and when his shot wasn't falling, he started to put more pressure on his jump shot. But Calipari and Kentucky has a great track record within the NBA. So that's a plus. Knox also has the mentality of a go to player....Something KP didn't have and just starting to get. That's a plus. I didn't know his jumper was money like that, but I did know it was streaky. That can be fixed with maturity and coaching. Same with his energy on defense.

If we didn't have Fizdale and all the other assistance that were former guards on our staff, I would be worried about our picks. But I have faith in this new regime. Knox and Mitchell seems like players that excel based on the team culture and system. With these picks being Fizdales first draft, they will make sure these guys meet expectations.

I call the knox pick a hard calculated swing, aiming for a triple and hoping for a homerun. That's a calculated risk. Porter Jr is a much higher risk and lower floor than anybody in the draft. Porters ceiling is similar to Knox ceiling. Knox looks like a solid PF, until I saw he only weighs 217. So right now he's quick enough laterally to play SF....and strong enough to switch on bigs. On offense, he will dominate smalls and too quick for bigs. Nothing wrong with gambling on a young melo or harris type player. Nobody know what Porter is. In his first 3 college games, he looked like a boy playing with men. Then they shut him down.....

That's too much of a risk for a fragile franchise. Knox is a great risk to have, due to his age. He's only 18....Think about that. He already has that go to game and solid football frame like his dad. Mitchell will surprise everybody, he currently has NBA athleticism in a 7 ft body. JaVele MaGee and Capella type.....Solid 2nd round grab. The undrafted guard we picked up was another solid grab.

Grade B

Knox has the potential to be the best all around offensive scorer in this draft. Not too much people can score from deep, mid range, back to the basket, facing the basket, iso ball or catch and shoot. Think about all these weapons he has in his tool box at 18 yrs old, with an NBA frame. Guess what he will look like when he turns Mikals age? He's already better than most players in the draft, when they were 18. Skies the limit with Knox.

Fizdale got kicked out of Memphis quickly and Knox is a soft tweener who doesnt handle the ball well. Am I missing any facts?

You always miss facts briggs.
AUTOADVERT
Chandler
Member: #6197

6/22/2018  2:47 PM
That LAC passed on Porter is telling. They had two picks and didn't gamble when they could have for a purported top of the draft talent. Big red flags. Having said that, I don't wish that he fails just to proved everyone who passed on him right.

In investing, it's a game of patience, compounding and avoiding big losses which if you understand math (geometric return etc) are more devastating than one initially thinks. I think in the case of Porter, many teams us included just simply couldn't afford to miss with him -- because if you miss with him you get an F(not C-)

I have not been impressed with this FO but will give them the benefit of the doubt on Knox. They worked him out, and surprisingly (to me at least) they were able to get him, Miles and others to compete head to head

Now I'm just praying that we have someone with an eye for talent

(5)(5)
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

6/22/2018  3:11 PM
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:The lowest grade I have seen so far is a B- The highest was a B+. Most sites graded the draft aB.

Briggs is Right

The front office as a whole gets a GRADE C..they just don't do enough to bring excitement, nothing they do is impressive, it's not bad either, but you won't be blown away, and...you won't be associating the words savviness, sharp, on point, smart, shrewd, slick to describe anything they do.

It's like they're playing not to lose instead of playing to win and destroy the competition, like they are scared to make a move to shake up the franchise

this is why you are lost. Org doesnt need to be shook up. Its need a solid foundation. Building that is boring and takes time. Not trading picks for Rondo and Kemba Walker.

ekstarks94
Member: #6104

6/22/2018  3:16 PM
When I see these types of debates ...this is what I think of.

Can't the haters just admit that Knicks had a good productive draft???

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
6/22/2018  3:16 PM
blkexec wrote:
smackeddog wrote:I like the Knox pick- I've been on quite the journey. At the start of the workouts I posted that awful video of him trying to dribble, and it out me off. But slowly over the course of the past few weeks I've liked more and more of what I've read and seen.

Looking at the bigger picture, we'll likely aim to add Irving next off season, who should fit well with Frank in the back court, with Tim Jr as sixth man, Knox at SF and KP at pf, that's a nice foundation. Add in next years pick (hopefully high as we don't have a front court this season), and I'm hopeful.

I'm the same way. I watched him in the Tournament for the first time, and I didn't like what I saw. He seems focused too much on his offensive game, and when his shot wasn't falling, he started to put more pressure on his jump shot. But Calipari and Kentucky has a great track record within the NBA. So that's a plus. Knox also has the mentality of a go to player....Something KP didn't have and just starting to get. That's a plus. I didn't know his jumper was money like that, but I did know it was streaky. That can be fixed with maturity and coaching. Same with his energy on defense.

If we didn't have Fizdale and all the other assistance that were former guards on our staff, I would be worried about our picks. But I have faith in this new regime. Knox and Mitchell seems like players that excel based on the team culture and system. With these picks being Fizdales first draft, they will make sure these guys meet expectations.

I call the knox pick a hard calculated swing, aiming for a triple and hoping for a homerun. That's a calculated risk. Porter Jr is a much higher risk and lower floor than anybody in the draft. Porters ceiling is similar to Knox ceiling. Knox looks like a solid PF, until I saw he only weighs 217. So right now he's quick enough laterally to play SF....and strong enough to switch on bigs. On offense, he will dominate smalls and too quick for bigs. Nothing wrong with gambling on a young melo or harris type player. Nobody know what Porter is. In his first 3 college games, he looked like a boy playing with men. Then they shut him down.....

That's too much of a risk for a fragile franchise. Knox is a great risk to have, due to his age. He's only 18....Think about that. He already has that go to game and solid football frame like his dad. Mitchell will surprise everybody, he currently has NBA athleticism in a 7 ft body. JaVele MaGee and Capella type.....Solid 2nd round grab. The undrafted guard we picked up was another solid grab.

Grade B

Knox has the potential to be the best all around offensive scorer in this draft. Not too much people can score from deep, mid range, back to the basket, facing the basket, iso ball or catch and shoot. Think about all these weapons he has in his tool box at 18 yrs old, with an NBA frame. Guess what he will look like when he turns Mikals age? He's already better than most players in the draft, when they were 18. Skies the limit with Knox.

If he is gonna be a go to offensive player then he has to make players around him better with that ability. Thats what he is gonna need to be molded into doing. Or he will need to ba a strong hangman defender who can also guard on the switch who scores a variety of ways within the flow.

The difference between stat producing and contributing to wins. Not saying that he wont or cant. Just what my hopes are.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
knicks1248
Member: #582
6/22/2018  3:27 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:The lowest grade I have seen so far is a B- The highest was a B+. Most sites graded the draft aB.

Briggs is Right

The front office as a whole gets a GRADE C..they just don't do enough to bring excitement, nothing they do is impressive, it's not bad either, but you won't be blown away, and...you won't be associating the words savviness, sharp, on point, smart, shrewd, slick to describe anything they do.

It's like they're playing not to lose instead of playing to win and destroy the competition, like they are scared to make a move to shake up the franchise.

They had 2 future 2nd rnd picks( from the willy trade) they could have dangled to move up and try and get the franchise back on track sooner than later

you have zero patience. Yes you want to win right this minute which isnt realistic. The two picks have higher ceilings but it will take some time

LMAO after five consecutive 50+ losing season that mills was directly associated with, and I have no patience..smdh

Werent you the one who made a thread a night before the draft saying draft picks are useless and we should just trade them? So you shouldnt even talk about the draft. WE did it your way from 2002-2016 with ****tier results except for one lucky regular season. I like that our FO has a plan and sticking to it. I like they are swinging for the fences instead of just going with safer picks who probably wont go past good role players

I posted an article that professional sports writers wrote about the draft and it's history. A topic you couldn't dispute because you seen it with your own 2 eyes.

knox is not a "swinging for the fences" draft pick. He fills a wing role that needed to be filled, but I would have done everything in my power to trade up to grab Mo, young or Doncic.

You know what would impress me at this point, Trading noah and getting back a very use full player

So basically you are asking for the impossible. Trading noah for any value is not possible. Even danny ainge couldnt pull that off. Also the knicks Did discuss trading up but the cost was sky high

what was the cost?

ES
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

6/22/2018  3:30 PM
nykshaknbake wrote:These guys are both projects for sure. I think the 2nd rounder was an appropriate gamble. A for that one. I think our 1st rounder was a bit of a reach, if we were going for a gamble why not grab Porter?

C+/B- for me.

I like the size/length/wingspan of M.Robinson but there was some really intriguing players still on the board when we picked him so i'm giving a big to be continued with that pick.
Kyrie Thomas
Bonga
J.Vanderbilt
S.Milton
D.Melton
G.Trent
B.Brown
J.Jackson
K.Bates Diop
Diallo

and others were still on the board.

H1AND1
Member: #5648

6/22/2018  3:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/22/2018  3:56 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Grade B

Fizdale got kicked out of Memphis quickly and Knox is a soft tweener who doesnt handle the ball well. Am I missing any facts?

How about that Knox is 18 only years old and had an (arguably) higher ceiling than anyone else on the board? Perhaps we should've taken an older guy who'd turn into a good role player to labor away on our non contending lottery team next year? The Knicks are young with upside for the first time in my life and I couldnt be happier...

If you are a piece or two away you go with a guy like Bridges. If you need to hit a home run you pick upside, every time.

knicks1248
Member: #582
6/22/2018  4:03 PM
ekstarks94 wrote:When I see these types of debates ...this is what I think of.

we hope it was a productive draft.

People said it was a productive draft when we got david lee, frye, wilson, nate, Kp, tony d...

If you had a choice to pick any president and GM in the league..Mills and perry would be so far down your list it's not even funny...

If frank was on any other team in the NBA, would you be hoping Perry gave up a first rnd pick for him in a trade...would you give up a #9 pick and THJ for frank...

Most of you guys comment are bias

ES
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/22/2018  4:17 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

People said it was a productive draft when we got david lee, frye, wilson, nate, Kp, tony d...

If you had a choice to pick any president and GM in the league..Mills and perry would be so far down your list it's not even funny...

If frank was on any other team in the NBA, would you be hoping Perry gave up a first rnd pick for him in a trade...would you give up a #9 pick and THJ for frank...

IF I had a choice to read anyone's posts but yours I would... but here you are. I just wait for the day you make sense. When that happens I am showing up at your door with a fruit basket
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/22/2018  5:16 PM
Really good article about normalcy returning to the Knicks with this draft.
https://fansided.com/2018/06/22/knicks-unremarkable-nba-draft-kevin-knox/
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Welpee
Member: #6239

6/22/2018  5:20 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:I think we got two low output players both mentally and physically. I'm not sure this is a direction.
I never really thought of Knox-- he has talent--6-9 215 played well in some games. Crappy defender fair rebounder for size not a great passer not a great ball handler average shooter. He's bit the size you like he's got some skill but this isn't anything more than a c pick. I don't like the 36 pick at all. We could've had Khyri Thomas for cheap and we passed? Thomas would've fit in better-- also more mature

I couldn't disagree more. I think considering you were willing to sell the farm for guys like Huerter and K Thomas, among others who went lower than you expected, you judgment on these players this year was considerably off from the consensus of NBA people. Knox is an excellent fit in this era of basketball as a stretch 4 (KP will move to full-time center eventually) and Robinson is a high-risk gamble but worth a flier in the 2nd round. I think this year in particular your judgment of players were very off to be honest. Nothing wrong with making predictions though, but keep them reasonable and in perspective.

Guys I liked through the process Huerter Okogie Robinson all went way higher than anticipated--only Thomas was lower. Lets see how off I am.

Briggs u took Huerter at 9 in the mock. And you say Knicks didn’t get value at 9? Huerter is a late 1st talent you wanted at 9 based on the draft game. Don’t say he went higher than expected.

I absolutely wouldve taken Huerter over Knox. Better passer better defender better shooter better ballhandler. Its obvious however that it wouldve been impossible to trade down and get one of Huerter AND Okogie Robinson and Hutchinson as they went to high. It mightve made more sense to trade down for a player and an extra pick in the next two years. Hopefully Im wrong

PS there will be many players picked after Knox that are better

Briggs i bet my house within 6 months you wont mention how great huerter is again...you did the same thing with Kaminsky. Months before the draft you were saying he is the next great one then immediately after BUT not long into the season you never mentioned him again lol. This will be deja vu
You still can't get him to mention Kaminsky. He ignores any reference to him as if he never existed.
StarksEwing1

6/22/2018  5:30 PM
Welpee wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:I think we got two low output players both mentally and physically. I'm not sure this is a direction.
I never really thought of Knox-- he has talent--6-9 215 played well in some games. Crappy defender fair rebounder for size not a great passer not a great ball handler average shooter. He's bit the size you like he's got some skill but this isn't anything more than a c pick. I don't like the 36 pick at all. We could've had Khyri Thomas for cheap and we passed? Thomas would've fit in better-- also more mature

I couldn't disagree more. I think considering you were willing to sell the farm for guys like Huerter and K Thomas, among others who went lower than you expected, you judgment on these players this year was considerably off from the consensus of NBA people. Knox is an excellent fit in this era of basketball as a stretch 4 (KP will move to full-time center eventually) and Robinson is a high-risk gamble but worth a flier in the 2nd round. I think this year in particular your judgment of players were very off to be honest. Nothing wrong with making predictions though, but keep them reasonable and in perspective.

Guys I liked through the process Huerter Okogie Robinson all went way higher than anticipated--only Thomas was lower. Lets see how off I am.

Briggs u took Huerter at 9 in the mock. And you say Knicks didn’t get value at 9? Huerter is a late 1st talent you wanted at 9 based on the draft game. Don’t say he went higher than expected.

I absolutely wouldve taken Huerter over Knox. Better passer better defender better shooter better ballhandler. Its obvious however that it wouldve been impossible to trade down and get one of Huerter AND Okogie Robinson and Hutchinson as they went to high. It mightve made more sense to trade down for a player and an extra pick in the next two years. Hopefully Im wrong

Briggs i bet my house within 6 months you wont mention how great huerter is again...you did the same thing with Kaminsky. Months before the draft you were saying he is the next great one then immediately after BUT not long into the season you never mentioned him again lol. This will be deja vu
You still can't get him to mention Kaminsky. He ignores any reference to him as if he never existed.
Yeah its pretty funny. Id actually respect his opinions if he said, "Yeah i liked kaminsky and a lot of other guys but i overshot my predictions about how well they would do in the nba"
Welpee
Member: #6239

6/22/2018  5:42 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Yeah its pretty funny. Id actually respect his opinions if he said, "Yeah i liked kaminsky and a lot of other guys but i overshot my predictions about how well they would do in the nba"
He operates under the "only talk about the acorns found by the blind squirrel" theory. Gives the impression of 20/20 vision.
StarksEwing1

6/22/2018  5:51 PM
Welpee wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

He operates under the "only talk about the acorns found by the blind squirrel" theory. Gives the impression of 20/20 vision.
Yup i mean we have all been wrong before. However most of us admit it. But i do find it funny him continuing to make these crazy predictions about how good these players he likes will be then they sizzle out and all of a sudden they are erased from his memory lol
fwk00
Member: #6048

6/22/2018  7:07 PM
You don't give grades before the course is run.

The Knicks took some calculated risks - very reasonable ones, IMO.

There was lots of talent available and Know was as good a choice as any at 9. Lots of players will eventually shine and no doubt we'll never hear the end of it but so what? There was also a lot of dross available at 9 and they managed to dodge some bullets.

In the second-round, I very much liked the Robinson pick - its likely not going to pan out but if it does, its a huge pick-up. With second-rounders you don't care too much - its G-League talent that occasionally floats.

If either player looks good at the end of the coming season, the Knicks get an A+ with a gold star on their foreheads. I think Knox won't let us down.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

6/22/2018  7:22 PM
Knox C+
Robinson F

Overall grade D (Dreadful)

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/23/2018  12:51 AM
Pick is consistent. High ceiling. If you can’t see that higher then those limited will not like it. Knicjs1248 does us great service to make it obvious. There are no guarantees.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/23/2018  3:51 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/23/2018  2:18 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

My draft list was Carter/Knox/Mikal, and I also liked Zhaire Smith. If this was a Knicks team coming off a playoff season and looking to fine tune, I probably would have pushed for Mikal...who is more NBA ready at this moment.

Not sure why you go after Frank in this post...I suppose that is your "bias." 3 yrs from now if a team offers us a lottery pick and a player, you might not want to give Frank up because he's too valuable, but who knows how young players develop. I do know that 1 year is not enough evaluate any young player.

Of course you might have asked what Dallas now thinks of Smith as their PG, considering they went as far as they did to acquire Doncic, who is best as a primary ball handler. If you have your franchise PG, do you pick a player like Doncic who is going to want to run the offense at some point in the future.

It isn't like Knox didn't have analysts and talent evaluators who really liked him...there were a number who were sold on him.

The Fisdale article fishmike posted had this in it... Maybe if Miles had dominated the 3/3, or Mikal had consented to a multiple player workout, things would have been different:

Though Fizdale never saw any college games this season, the new coach pushed hard for Knox after his 3-on-3 workout nearly two weeks ago in which he got the better of Miles Bridges. Knicks president Steve Mills reiterated Knox’s that willingness to do a 3-on-3 group workout showed his confidence. (Mikal Bridges agreed only to a solo workout).
Fizdale said he was shocked how much his ballhandling had improved since his college season ended.

“He really responded well to the physicality,’’ Fizdale said of the workout that contributed to his rising on the Knicks’ board. “That was the best workout of all the workouts we had. Talk about physical guys hitting the floor. No one was giving an inch in that workout. The fact he shined in that workout says a lot.’’

Knox was a very solid pick, with a little risk and a better upside. As is always the case with draft picks...time will tell, but I'm predicting good things for him.

Don't know much about Robinson, except the fact that he is long and athletic, and some considered him the 3 best big in his class. He needs work, but if put into a system that lets him do what he does well, he could be a contributor in the future.

Also like the Trier signing...if he can play D, he will be a rotational spark off the bench type...Played in a good program with other good players...and he played pretty well. What more can you ask from an undrafted FA pickup?

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

6/23/2018  11:29 AM

Knox is the kind of player that needs to be carried by his offense.

There are legitimate questions whether he can consistently create his own shot at the NBA level. He does have a high ceiling in terms of raw/plus athleticism. But his decision making / BBIQ at this point makes you wonder how much can be fixed with some experience and coaching and physical maturity, and how much is just about an athlete who is more of an athlete than a basketball player.

There are some things to really like about Knox, but also some unsettling questions. I don't think folks concerned about those questions are out of bounds for wondering/asking about them.

Is it better than trading the picks off for overpaid veterans? Sure, absolutely. Was it the best use of the 9th pick? I think it's a fair debate for those who don't think so.

I'd grade this draft a c-

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy