Author Thread
colorfl1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #731
Canada
6/22/2018  12:35 AM
Ian Begley
ESPN Staff Writer

Knicks and Allonzo Trier have agreed to a two-way contract, sources confirm. Trier impressed the Knicks during his workout. Yahoo first reported the deal.

AUTOADVERT
colorfl1
Member: #731
Canada
6/22/2018  12:44 AM
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/allonzo-trier

35 - Allonzo TrierArizona

Birthday: 1/17/96
NBA Position: Shooting Guard
Class: Junior
Ht: 6-5
Wt: 200
Hometown: Oklahoma City, OK
High School: Findlay Prep

Overall
2018 Big Board: 67
NBA Comparison: Rashad McCants

Strengths: Natural scorer (18.1 points per game) and capable of scoring in a variety of ways ... Does a really good job of finishing and making tough shots around the rim ... Can finish through contact ... Runs the floor well in transition ... Court vision is improving (2.7 assists per game in sophomore year; 3.2 assists per game in junior year) ... Handles the ball well for a shooting guard ... Has a pretty smooth release on his shot ... Not a guy you want to leave open from 3-point range (38.0% last season) ... Does a good job shooting off the dribble ... Knows how to gain separation from defenders ... Really good foul shooter, making opponents pay when he gets to the line (86.5%). Good form on his shot ... At times, especially earlier in his career showed excellent explosiveness ...

Weaknesses: Needs to do a better job fighting through screens on defense ... Tends to reach in a lot on defense without producing turnovers (.6 steals) ... Loses his man too often ... Lateral quickness on defense needs to improve ... Needs to defend guys tighter and not worry about helping too much ... Gives guys too much space ... Needs to do a better of job of closing out shooters ... Unclear if he can hang with NBA guards, especially point guards ... Defensive IQ needs to improve ... While he handles the ball well for a shooting guard, he doesn’t have point guard level ball handling ... At 6’5”, 200 pounds, with a 6'7" wingpsan, 8'2" standing reach, Trier has just below average length and size for an NBA 2-guard and would really increase his value if he could run the point ... His assist numbers are going up, but they’re still way too low for a point guard ... Also needs to add weight and more physical strength ... Got suspended to start the year for the use of banned substance ... "While capable of finishing through contact, he doesn’t really seek it ... Physicality needs to improve ... Needs to have a better nose for the ball (3.0 rebound per game) ... Has drawn some critism for not being a team player, not always putting out the right body language and being supportive of teammates ...

Overall: Trier’s ability to score is what puts him on the NBA radar ... His shooting percentages are very encouraging ... The major concern is whether or not he’s going to be too much of a defensive liability at the next level ... If he can improve his defense and figure out how to guard NBA guards, he has the potential to stick in the NBA and find a permanent home ...

Notes: Measured: 6' 3.75'' barefoot, 6' 5.25'' lbs, 198.0, lbs, 6' 6.75'' wingspan, 8' 2'' standing reach, 4.95% body fat, and 8.25 inch hand length at the 2018 NBA Draft Combine ... Measured 6'3.25, 193.5 lbs, with a 6'6 wingspan and 8'4 reach at the 2014 USA U18 tryouts ... Measured 6'3 without shoes, 6'4 with shoes, 200 lbs, with a 6'6 wingspan and 8'4 standing reach at the 2014 USA Junior National Team Mini Camp ... Was a 5 star recruit coming out of high school and a McDonald's All American ...

Ben Parker 6/10/18

fwk00
Member: #6048

6/22/2018  12:46 AM
I like it.
Ira
Member: #91
6/22/2018  6:50 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/22/2018  7:43 AM
It looks like a good signing. Here's an article explaining "two way contracts" that players (like Trier) and teams sign.
blkexec
Member: #748
6/22/2018  8:45 AM
This is another solid pickup.....he looks like a keeper.

This new management draft was high risk...high reward. All 3 players have loads of potential with the skill set to match.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
6/22/2018  9:06 AM
Ira wrote:It looks like a good signing. Here's an article explaining "two way contracts" that players (like Trier) and teams sign.

Ira, Here's the quote.

"NBA teams may have up to two players under NBA Two-Way Contracts who will spend the bulk of the season in the NBA G League and no more than 45 days with their NBA team. Two-Way players are paid a corresponding daily amount based on the number of days they play in each league."

Watching Trier's highlights is fun. I wonder why he didn't get drafted in the 2nd round as he seems to have talent. A good pick-up for us.

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
blkexec
Member: #748
6/22/2018  9:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/22/2018  9:24 AM
Markji wrote:
Ira wrote:It looks like a good signing. Here's an article explaining "two way contracts" that players (like Trier) and teams sign.

Ira, Here's the quote.

"NBA teams may have up to two players under NBA Two-Way Contracts who will spend the bulk of the season in the NBA G League and no more than 45 days with their NBA team. Two-Way players are paid a corresponding daily amount based on the number of days they play in each league."

Watching Trier's highlights is fun. I wonder why he didn't get drafted in the 2nd round as he seems to have talent. A good pick-up for us.

Didn't get picked up because it's only 2 rounds and the NBA needs more teams. And the NBA is moving towards young potential and international players. That pushes out seniors and other solid players like Trier (not sure if his a senior bit he's solid). That's ok because it creates a chip on his shoulder to prove his worth.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/22/2018  9:25 AM
Trier is a natuaral scorer and can score from anywhere. Hes more talented than Dotson....Great signing.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/22/2018  9:49 AM
blkexec wrote:
Markji wrote:

Ira, Here's the quote.

Didn't get picked up because it's only 2 rounds and the NBA needs more teams. And the NBA is moving towards young potential and international players. That pushes out seniors and other solid players like Trier (not sure if his a senior bit he's solid). That's ok because it creates a chip on his shoulder to prove his worth.

For me, the NBA needs less teams and a better G-League system for guys.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/22/2018  10:01 AM
blkexec wrote:This is another solid pickup.....he looks like a keeper.

This new management draft was high risk...high reward. All 3 players have loads of potential with the skill set to match.

Disagree Knox was high risk. Moderate risk IMO, with Robinson being high risk, which is why I liked their drafting.

Didnt play it safe with Mikal Bridges, but didnt go too far in the other direction with Porter jr. In the sweet spot...hoping anyway

Ira
6/22/2018  10:02 AM
Markji wrote:

Ira, Here's the quote.

Thanks Markji. I assume that if the player does well in the G League and if there's a spot on the main team that needs filling because of injury or trade, that he can be 'promoted'.

Ira
6/22/2018  10:14 AM
Statistical comparison between Kevin Huerter, and Allonzo Trier. I'll use Trier's 2nd college season to compare to Huerter's 2nd season since Trier played 3 years of college ball to Herter's 2. In each case, the first stat is Herter's and the second is Trier's.

mpg 34 - 29
points 15-17
FG% .50 - .46
3P% .42 - .39
AST/TOV 3.4/2.4 - 2.7/1.7

I'm not trying to say that Trier is as good as Huerter or that stats are the only thing worth looking at. I'm just trying to point out that we got a pretty good player AFTER the draft. Good job, in this case, by Knicks management.

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
6/22/2018  10:20 AM
Uptown wrote:Trier is a natuaral scorer and can score from anywhere. Hes more talented than Dotson....Great signing.

Dotson seems to have that dog in him though.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/22/2018  10:49 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Uptown wrote:Trier is a natuaral scorer and can score from anywhere. Hes more talented than Dotson....Great signing.

True..so does Trier. I'm surprised Trier went undrafted, but then again, I'm not because he was a junior and in this day and age he's considered old for a rookie. I saw him quite a bit at Arizona and Trier is a walking bucket. He's not a great athlete, but he can score all over the court, can shoot the NBA 3 and can score under duress. He also put up numbers against really good competition....Great signing.

TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

6/22/2018  10:50 AM
Ira wrote:Statistical comparison between Kevin Huerter, and Allonzo Trier. I'll use Trier's 2nd college season to compare to Huerter's 2nd season since Trier played 3 years of college ball to Herter's 2. In each case, the first stat is Herter's and the second is Trier's.

mpg 34 - 29
points 15-17
FG% .50 - .46
3P% .42 - .39

I'm not trying to say that Trier is as good as Huerter or that stats are the only thing worth looking at. I'm just trying to point out that we got a pretty good player AFTER the draft. Good job, in this case, by Knicks management.

Why the hell wasn't he drafted though? It dosen't make sense that he would go undrafted despite being poised to go first round coming into the season.

The Future is Bright!
Chandler
Member: #6197

6/22/2018  11:11 AM
TPercy wrote:
Ira wrote:Statistical comparison between Kevin Huerter, and Allonzo Trier. I'll use Trier's 2nd college season to compare to Huerter's 2nd season since Trier played 3 years of college ball to Herter's 2. In each case, the first stat is Herter's and the second is Trier's.

mpg 34 - 29
points 15-17
FG% .50 - .46
3P% .42 - .39

Why the hell wasn't he drafted though? It dosen't make sense that he would go undrafted despite being poised to go first round coming into the season.

saw commentary that his defense and his capability to defend (e.g., lateral quickness) are weak.

(5)(5)
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/22/2018  11:40 AM
Always good to have an instant offense scorer who can come off the bench and potentially go on a short run...If the shots don't fall, you take him out, because of defensive liabilities.

Was raised with Cazzie Russell coming off the bench...Not a great defender, but if he got hot, you could ride his jumper for a few minutes. Henry Bibby did it a little bit later on.

Always a place for a scorer...he just has to work on his D.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

6/22/2018  11:51 AM
I sit weird that I'm more excited about this signing and ou second rounder than I am for our first?
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Ira
6/22/2018  12:17 PM
TPercy wrote:

mpg 34 - 29
points 15-17
FG% .50 - .46
3P% .42 - .39

I don't know, but it happens. John Starks wasn't drafted. Neither was Ben Wallace.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/22/2018  12:21 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:

Yeah, Dotson seems to have more toughness, switchability and defense. Guts like Trier are a dime a dozen unless he can add something else to his game.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Knicks Sign Allonzo Trier

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy