[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

With the 36 Pick, the Knicks pick Mitchell Robinson
Author Thread
TheGame
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1154
USA
6/21/2018  11:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/21/2018  11:20 PM
Who is this guy. His bio shows a lot of potential but he has made some bad decisions. Hopefully he pans out. Classic boom or bust pick.
Trust the Process
AUTOADVERT
blkexec
Member: #748
6/21/2018  11:20 PM
TheGame wrote:Who is this guy. His bio shows a lot of potential but he has made some bad decisions. Hopefully he pans out. Classic book or bust pick.

That's my guy.....search the thread. I said I hope we get him. I played ball with him in Texas. Capella type.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Welpee
Member: #6239

6/21/2018  11:21 PM
TheGame wrote:Who is this guy. His bio shows a lot of potential but he has made some bad decisions. Hopefully he pans out. Classic book or bust pick.
It looks like he's made some questionable career decisions but I haven't seen any evidence of any disqualifying questionable decisions (i.e. drugs, beating up women, getting arrested etc.). So I'm good with the 2nd round gamble.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/21/2018  11:21 PM
Welpee

6/21/2018  11:22 PM
blkexec wrote:

That's my guy.....search the thread. I said I hope we get him. I played ball with him in Texas. Capella type.

He looks intriguing physically. I think it looks like a good 2nd round gamble.
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
6/21/2018  11:27 PM
Welpee wrote:
It looks like he's made some questionable career decisions but I haven't seen any evidence of any disqualifying questionable decisions (i.e. drugs, beating up women, getting arrested etc.). So I'm good with the 2nd round gamble.

Yea, that's what I meant. Not criminal bad decisions, just career bad decisions that make you wonder what is going on in his head. I agree it was a good risk to take. If this kid gets his head together and works hard on his game, he has the talent to be a really good player.

Trust the Process
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/21/2018  11:33 PM

7-1 with 7-4 wingspan 😳
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/21/2018  11:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/21/2018  11:39 PM
Washington Post had him going as high as 15....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/express/wp/2018/06/20/mitchell-robinson-didnt-play-a-game-of-college-ball-hes-perfect-for-the-wizards/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.871c1358ea67

Mitchell Robinson didn’t play a game of college ball. He’s perfect for the Wizards.
By Rick Snider
June 20

Gambling on prospects isn’t unusual for Wizards general manager Ernie Grunfeld. Although he is responsible for the selections of John Wall, Bradley Beal and Otto Porter Jr., Grunfeld has also swung and missed. Remember Jan Vesely? The No. 6 overall pick in 2011 averaged 3.5 points before being traded to Denver in his third season.

However, Grunfeld should roll the dice again with the No. 15 pick in Thursday’s draft (7, ESPN). The Wizards should take Mitchell Robinson, a 7-foot-1 center with boom-or-bust potential.

Texas Tech guard Zhaire Smith might be a safer choice, but safe won’t get Washington back in the title chase. Wall and Beal make up a great backcourt, and Porter provides the “3-and-D” on the wing necessary in today’s NBA. It’s the frontcourt that needs work.

Robinson’s height and 7-4 wingspan leave coaches salivating. But he has no college experience. Robinson spent two weeks with Western Kentucky before deciding to leave. Rather than sit out as a transfer — he was linked to Kansas and the University of New Orleans at one point — Robinson, 20, decided to hire a trainer and go pro.

Although he left Chalmette High School in Louisiana as a five-star recruit and McDonald’s All-American, Robinson has red flags. On top of his abrupt departure from college, he also backed out of the NBA draft combine.

That said, 7-1 can’t be taught. Plus, Robinson already has a 3-point shot. His athleticism could make him more than a rim-runner and shot blocker, and think of all the lobs Wall could throw his way.

Marcin Gortat, 34, has one year left with Washington at most. The veteran center may even be traded away ahead of tonight’s draft. Gortat is most valuable setting picks and snaring rebounds, but he refuses to adapt to a game that’s trending toward speed and perimeter shooting.

If another team wants to deal for the 15th pick, it will have to accept Gortat’s contract to help the Wizards clear cap space. That could help Washington make an unlikely run at LeBron James or Paul George in free agency.

Because the draft is loaded with big men — most notably Deandre Ayton from Arizona, Marvin Bagley III from Duke and Mohamed Bamba from Texas — a center with Robinson’s skills could be available at No. 15 or lower.

If Robinson’s year of training has prepared him for the NBA, the Wizards could once again be battling for one of the top spots in the Eastern Conference. Washington could be a 50-win team, competing with Boston, Toronto, Philadelphia, Milwaukee and even Cleveland, depending on James’ next move.

If Robinson turns out to be another miss by Grunfeld, well it wouldn’t be his first.

Wall, Beal and Porter should have the Wizards in the playoffs again. But Washington mustn’t be satisfied with its recent mediocrity.

Grunfeld seems to have earned eternal loyalty from owner Ted Leonsis. But given that Leonsis’ Capitals just won a championship, maybe the owner will be less patient with his basketball team. That’s why gambling on Robinson makes sense.

If the Wizards want to draft a wing, here are three potential targets

Wizards have several holes to fill, including backup point guard. Here are four candidates.

Ahead of the NBA draft, here’s what the experts project the Wizards will do with the 15th pick

Welpee

6/21/2018  11:40 PM
TheGame wrote:
Welpee wrote:

Yea, that's what I meant. Not criminal bad decisions, just career bad decisions that make you wonder what is going on in his head. I agree it was a good risk to take. If this kid gets his head together and works hard on his game, he has the talent to be a really good player.

Apparently from what I'm reading he got a promise from the Lakers to draft him so he skipped the combines as a result. The Lakers didn't draft him with their late first round pick so maybe they were planning to grab him in the 2nd round where they picked three spots after us, but we got him.
Cartman718
Member: #1694

6/21/2018  11:42 PM
blkexec wrote:

when? where?

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
nixluva
USA
6/21/2018  11:49 PM
Welpee wrote:
TheGame wrote:
Welpee wrote:

Apparently from what I'm reading he got a promise from the Lakers to draft him so he skipped the combines as a result. The Lakers didn't draft him with their late first round pick so maybe they were planning to grab him in the 2nd round where they picked three spots after us, but we got him.

PERRY!!! This man is the best thing to happen to this franchise in a LOOOOOOOONG Time 💯

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/21/2018  11:49 PM
exactly the kind of player to take in the 2nd round. he'll probably need time in the G League to develop the basketball knowledge- but we're not going anywhere, still have holes. He could be a nice big off the bench, looks mobile.
nixluva
USA
6/21/2018  11:52 PM
franco12 wrote:exactly the kind of player to take in the 2nd round. he'll probably need time in the G League to develop the basketball knowledge- but we're not going anywhere, still have holes. He could be a nice big off the bench, looks mobile.

This kid has 1st Rd talent but ran off the rails. Worked out perfectly for us!!! This is just the kind of talent this team needs. Got him in a perfect spot.

Cartman718
Member: #1694

6/21/2018  11:52 PM
so Khyri Thomas got traded for 2 future 2nd round picks? interesting? We could have done that.
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
blkexec
6/21/2018  11:53 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
blkexec wrote:

when? where?

I posted this before he was drafted. Played with him this year. Poor man's Anthony Davis....1st round talent.

I played against Jordan Hill and I said he was going to be a bum....Im 6ft and was able to push him around. I didn't get the same chance to guard Mitchell....but we played ball together and I had front row seats when I wasn't playing.

He has this thing about him that looks slow...but I figured he didn't want to get hurt. But everything looks easy for him. lob city all day.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
6/21/2018  11:55 PM
blkexec wrote:

Give us the scouting report

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
blkexec
6/21/2018  11:56 PM
He's also out of shape. I saw this in pickup. Lifetime Fitness has all the ballers. he lived across the street from the gym.
blkexec
6/21/2018  11:59 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
blkexec wrote:

In pickup....he looks good. I had surgery recently and came back. ask my boy how he looks....all he said was he can't shoot. I remember him taking a lot of 3pters and lobs. . no mid range game. Clint Capella is a good comparison now....he has potential to get better skill wise. But I question his basketball IQ...

Welpee

6/22/2018  12:00 AM
So this closes the book on the Melo trade: Kanter, McDermott (who we flipped for Mudiay) and Robinson.
fwk00
Member: #6048

6/22/2018  12:28 AM
blkexec wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
blkexec wrote:

In pickup....he looks good. I had surgery recently and came back. ask my boy how he looks....all he said was he can't shoot. I remember him taking a lot of 3pters and lobs. . no mid range game. Clint Capella is a good comparison now....he has potential to get better skill wise. But I question his basketball IQ...

I suspect he's not very bright, period. Judging from his own comments he sounds like someone who broke rules out of ignorance rather than malice or intent.

That said, I'm glad the Knicks drafted big instead of settling for the tsnami of under-sized, over-rated guards and swingmen that will litter European leagues next year. If Kanter sticks, Kormet can move into KOQ's spot and Robinson can get signed as a G-League swing player. In Westcester, we find out if he's a player or not.
Two years out, Kanter (hopefully gone) we might have a Mutumbo doppleganger on our hands.

With the 36 Pick, the Knicks pick Mitchell Robinson

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy