[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

small Warning,minor observation: NBA players/drafted "Praise the lord"
Author Thread
Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
6/26/2018  5:13 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/26/2018  5:15 AM
I am very impressed that this subject (God) is being discussed on an NBA Knick's forum. It shows me how developed, intelligent and open people are on this forum. Everyone has their own beliefs and that is great.

arkrud wrote:
There is no two, no duality. There is only one.
Me, You, universe, are all God.
There is no separation anywhere outside our small Mind and our over-sized Ego.
Just silence you Small Mind and stop obeying to your big Ego and You will be God.

Arkrud - that is brilliant. And true....at least from my perspective and understanding as well as yours. I would add/change your last sentence to "You will be one with God." Then you will have the Almighty power of nature functioning thru you; i.e. Your mind and your intellect become in tune with the cosmic intelligence. And then that person is much more successful in everything that they do.

If one doesn't believe in God, fine. But there is some great intelligence at every level that governs the functioning of every aspect of the universe. Whether one looks at it from a scientific perspective and studies the laws of physics, chemistry, physiology, etc or from a religious perspective.

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
AUTOADVERT
KnixinSix
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5626

6/26/2018  10:08 AM
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
John 11:25‭-‬26 NIV
https://bible.com/bible/111/jhn.11.25-26.NIV
Gudris
Member: #6213

6/26/2018  11:09 AM
It is really sad that in the 21st century we still need some kind of magical beings to live a good life.

All religions(3000 active and more than 10 000 gone)people came up with because of a man being arrogant and stupid

Today we are smart enough to live without religions

P.S. If there really was one god, he can solve so many wars and conflicts just by showing up for 5 seconds in a sky and tell everybody'yo,' i am one god, christian religion is true':), but people still are killing each other in the name of god, such a bs

Gudris
Member: #6213

6/26/2018  11:12 AM
KnixinSix wrote:Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who sends me 1000$ will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by sending me money will never die. Do you believe this?”
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/26/2018  12:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/26/2018  12:16 PM
Religion...the most significant cause for warfare and strife in history...that should not even be a consideration when deciding whether or not to kill people or start a war. You can understand that the need for good land for farming or resources, or to alleviate overpopulation, might be a reason to go to war, but belief in an unprovable being (usually a guy, what a surprise)watching over the universe? Really?

I think you can make a strong case that, throughout history, the world would have been a better place without deity worship. The monotheistic religions, and more specifically, the ones which seek to proselytize, have been the worse culprits, of course.

Great timing, this...

It is a crutch for some, and booster of self-esteem for others, and for most their faith is now something that parents push on them when they are too young to make a rational decision.

I've seen good come from religion...I've seen bad, but I've rarely seen humanism or atheism used to buttress oppression, discrimination, or the urge to go to war. (The Soviet Union was not humanistic, by the way, they were only concerned that the Orthodox Church was a rival to their power.) Religion has been used to justify some of the worst things humans have committed upon other humans- slavery, racism, persecution, torture, the attack on science and progress, and much more. Some even say now that a man who had NEVER lived and behaved in a Christian way, was sent by the Christian God to lead us...Yup.

Not sure that a basketball forum is the best place for this to be discussed, but it is something that certain players, due to their upbringing, have injected into the sport, especially in interviews, and it is a major turnoff for me.

You mention JC at the beginning of an interview, I cringe...you do it a second time in the interview, I turn it off.

Put this thing in an off topic forum before it goes the way of that politics thread that blew up in our faces.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Markji
USA
6/26/2018  12:17 PM
Gudris wrote:It is really sad that in the 21st century we still need some kind of magical beings to live a good life.

All religions(3000 active and more than 10 000 gone)people came up with because of a man being arrogant and stupid

Today we are smart enough to live without religions

P.S. If there really was one god, he can solve so many wars and conflicts just by showing up for 5 seconds in a sky and tell everybody'yo,' i am one god, christian religion is true':), but people still are killing each other in the name of god, such a bs

In today's world, many spiritual practices are becoming popular. There is a BIG difference between modern religions and modern spiritual practices for Self development and Realization. Religions are more based on belief (which definitely can serve a good purpose for some people) while spiritual practices provide experience. If you don't have any such experiences, then your points are valid for you. ife, though, is more than going to school; then working a job; raising a family; growing old; and dying. And you think that is it?
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
Markji
USA
6/26/2018  12:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/26/2018  12:23 PM
Nalod wrote:God hates Melo.

Actually God loves Melo. He is giving Melo a gift of $28 million this year. I don't believe he has given that much money to anyone else on this forum. :-)

Juliano
Member: #7589

6/26/2018  12:57 PM
Markji wrote:Life, though, is more than going to school; then working a job; raising a family; growing old; and dying. And you think that is it?

Life is just what you're making it to be. It doesn't have any meaning other than the one you're willing to give it. We just happen to be, it's short, everyone shall enjoy it the way they see fit as long as they don't harm anybody in the process.

ekstarks94
Member: #6104

6/26/2018  1:46 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:Religion...the most significant cause for warfare and strife in history...that should not even be a consideration when deciding whether or not to kill people or start a war. You can understand that the need for good land for farming or resources, or to alleviate overpopulation, might be a reason to go to war, but belief in an unprovable being (usually a guy, what a surprise)watching over the universe? Really?

I think you can make a strong case that, throughout history, the world would have been a better place without deity worship. The monotheistic religions, and more specifically, the ones which seek to proselytize, have been the worse culprits, of course.

Great timing, this...

It is a crutch for some, and booster of self-esteem for others, and for most their faith is now something that parents push on them when they are too young to make a rational decision.

I've seen good come from religion...I've seen bad, but I've rarely seen humanism or atheism used to buttress oppression, discrimination, or the urge to go to war. (The Soviet Union was not humanistic, by the way, they were only concerned that the Orthodox Church was a rival to their power.) Religion has been used to justify some of the worst things humans have committed upon other humans- slavery, racism, persecution, torture, the attack on science and progress, and much more. Some even say now that a man who had NEVER lived and behaved in a Christian way, was sent by the Christian God to lead us...Yup.

Not sure that a basketball forum is the best place for this to be discussed, but it is something that certain players, due to their upbringing, have injected into the sport, especially in interviews, and it is a major turnoff for me.

You mention JC at the beginning of an interview, I cringe...you do it a second time in the interview, I turn it off.

Put this thing in an off topic forum before it goes the way of that politics thread that blew up in our faces.

True "belief" has no discrimination....."Do not judge lest you be judged".......religious zealots in all forms and fashion propagated this .."you do not share my religious beliefs therefore you are my enemy".....history shows this....one's religion should not be forced on anyone.....your belief is between you and what you believe.....no harm in discussion on differences....but whether we pray to God, Allah, Buddha, or nothing at all....real means nothing......we are all human
ekstarks94

6/26/2018  1:48 PM
Juliano wrote:
Markji wrote:Life, though, is more than going to school; then working a job; raising a family; growing old; and dying. And you think that is it?

Life is just what you're making it to be. It doesn't have any meaning other than the one you're willing to give it. We just happen to be, it's short, everyone shall enjoy it the way they see fit as long as they don't harm anybody in the process.

Including ourselves.

WaltLongmire

6/26/2018  1:49 PM
Juliano wrote:

Yup...

Everything you do has ripples, though. You live a good life and others may benefit, even after you are gone.

The way I look at it...if a humanist atheist is denied a place in some religious afterlife, while a "Christian" like Trump, or folks who have exploited others their entire life get in, I prefer not to end up there anyway.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
ekstarks94

6/26/2018  3:39 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
Juliano wrote:

Yup...

Everything you do has ripples, though. You live a good life and others may benefit, even after you are gone.

The way I look at it...if a humanist atheist is denied a place in some religious afterlife, while a "Christian" like Trump, or folks who have exploited others their entire life get in, I prefer not to end up there anyway.

If a neighbor comes in your home and robs you blind and you catch him in the act and he later comes out and says he is a good neighbor....Is he?

The problem is that people can say whatever they want....I'm Christian.....that does not mean $$$**%%3@....it is what they do and how they act.....that is the true measure of a man's heart.....these MF'ers are robbing the country blind...but they say they are looking out for me and you....under the guise of Christianity...so since they say...I'm Christian......then I say ok...u are looking out for me....BS

If you believe what he reflects is Christian values...then I think you have some further reading to do...

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
6/26/2018  4:26 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:Religion...the most significant cause for warfare and strife in history...that should not even be a consideration when deciding whether or not to kill people or start a war. You can understand that the need for good land for farming or resources, or to alleviate overpopulation, might be a reason to go to war, but belief in an unprovable being (usually a guy, what a surprise)watching over the universe? Really?

Great timing, this...

Right, the Soviet Union never preached atheism. Go read a book. Maybe you might see some reality.
Pol Pot says hello. Maybe you've heard of the killing fields? I suppose he had all those intellectuals and priests killed because he was just pissed at JC's firepower?
Ever read any Chairman Mao? The purges in China?
Whose books did Hitler hand out? Nietzche's. Ever hear of him? And spare me the "but he thought his first communion was so important".

Explain how Marxist/Communism which presupposes (as has been stated here in this thread) an atheistic worldview, didn't give rise to oppression, torture and killing on the scale that makes your empty, baseless statements about religion seem kind of insipid.

Newton, Pascal, Einstein (Hey meloshouldgo!) ever hear of any of those guys who led attacks on science and progress?

You have tons of archaelogical proof I suppose that shows Jesus never existed, right?

Atheism has done far more in body counts alone (I'll let you go google the numbers comparing the Crusades, the Inquisitions, Witch Trials, etc to compare to just one of your non-humanists listed above) than religion ever has.

Right, we humans are running the universe. All 14 billion light years across. yup yup.

Juliano
Member: #7589

6/28/2018  6:17 AM
jrodmc wrote:Newton, Pascal, Einstein (Hey meloshouldgo!) ever hear of any of those guys who led attacks on science and progress?

Einstein was an agnostic. Newton and Pascal lived in an era where being an outspoken atheist would have sent you straight to prison.

jrodmc wrote:You have tons of archaelogical proof I suppose that shows Jesus never existed, right?

No, we don't. Neither does anybody have archeological evidence that he ever existed. The burden of proof should lie with people making claims, and so far there has been no evidence that a Jesus of Nazareth ever graced the earth, same for Muhammad. There has also been no evidence of the existence of an allmighty deity that created the universe and runs it.

jrodmc wrote:Atheism has done far more in body counts alone (I'll let you go google the numbers comparing the Crusades, the Inquisitions, Witch Trials, etc to compare to just one of your non-humanists listed above) than religion ever has.

This is something that regularly pops up, I'll point towards this article which expresses my opinion about it far better than I could.

jrodmc wrote:Right, we humans are running the universe. All 14 billion light years across. yup yup.

We run our planet (to the ground, unfortunately). As far as we know the universe runs itself.

Listen, I don't have any problem with religion as long as it remains private, at home or in temples. I do take exception when people try and force it into school, like teaching creationism as a theory just as valid as evolution. I think it's wrong to teach kids something as true when it's just speculation.

Back to the original point, if there really was a god, would you understand it to deal with issues as futile as professionnal sports where there's so much undeserved suffering in the world? Do you pray for your god to make your team win? That is just what I was wondering with the OP befor the whole thread went south.

WaltLongmire

6/28/2018  11:18 AM
jrodmc wrote:

Great timing, this...

Right, the Soviet Union never preached atheism. Go read a book. Maybe you might see some reality.
Pol Pot says hello. Maybe you've heard of the killing fields? I suppose he had all those intellectuals and priests killed because he was just pissed at JC's firepower?
Ever read any Chairman Mao? The purges in China?
Whose books did Hitler hand out? Nietzche's. Ever hear of him? And spare me the "but he thought his first communion was so important".

Explain how Marxist/Communism which presupposes (as has been stated here in this thread) an atheistic worldview, didn't give rise to oppression, torture and killing on the scale that makes your empty, baseless statements about religion seem kind of insipid.

Newton, Pascal, Einstein (Hey meloshouldgo!) ever hear of any of those guys who led attacks on science and progress?

You have tons of archaelogical proof I suppose that shows Jesus never existed, right?

Atheism has done far more in body counts alone (I'll let you go google the numbers comparing the Crusades, the Inquisitions, Witch Trials, etc to compare to just one of your non-humanists listed above) than religion ever has.

Right, we humans are running the universe. All 14 billion light years across. yup yup.

Humans don't "run the universe," clown, and NOBODY has ever claimed this. We inhabit a small...very small, space in it. Honestly, that is arguably one of the most ignorant comments I've ever heard, AND DOES NOTHING TO PROVE THE EXISTENCE OF A "SUPREME BEING," OR BEINGS. Not knowing (or accepting) how things work doesn't mean you can put forth a deity to explain everything. I'll let the laws of physics "run" the universe. We are here for a short ride, only, and, sadly enough, at some point the earth, as we know it, will die, and it will happen without the initiative or consent of an all powerful being.

Another odd non-sequitur about the savior, who some seem to think shows an interest in American sports. I expect there was a human being such as JC, but CONTEMPORARY, non-Biblical historical records of JC are minimal...seem to recall that Josephus, a Jewish scholar, is the only historian who mentioned him, and some consider the passage to be a later insertion. I believe the man existed...the religious miracles...nope.

Funny that you mention certain scientists, Newton, etc., without acknowledging how religion was used to stifle science and scientific dialogue during the Middle Ages and later...You might want to read up on Galileo, Copernicus, Giordano Bruno, and others, but for you, I'd say watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail- the witch scene, and how ignorance and religious assumptions corrupted "science."

Religious bigotry fueled the pogroms against Jews in Russia and demonizing and dehumanizing them made it acceptable for the Nazis to do what they did. Christianity was used justify slavery or stood by silently. Christianity and Islam cared little for the beliefs of other cultures as they grew and spread, and Christianity was used to justify the genocide which tool place in the "New World." We still see examples of extreme Islamic thinking which seeks to destroy anything relating to past religions, or non-Islamic religious history. Hindus have gone after Muslims in India, with extremists burning down an important temple, years ago.

Stalin...Mao...others- they were a religion unto themselves...cult of personality, much like our president is to some folks, but none of them referred to humanistic beliefs to kill people. They were all about power and politics. Trump is most like Stalin at this point...a paranoid, gaslighting, revengeful thug, looking for worship. Stalin and Mao were not motivated by any humanistic/atheist set of beliefs, but they were anti-religious for various reasons, including the fact that religion posed a threat to their absolute rule. They wanted to be the ones being worshipped.

Hitler was not an atheist, by the way...as he demonstrated in Mein Kampf...and even if you don't want to believe this, it is obvious that he used religion and religious beliefs to further his aims, and it made his persecution of Jews and others easier.

Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.

Both Stalin and Mao were paranoid ruthless killers, who wanted to maintain power at any cost. They killed and imprisoned people for political or personal reasons, and to promote their own cult, but there was no intrinsic message of humanism which justified what they did...especially with Stalin, where the most important things was the Stalin cult and religion having no power. You also have to remember that Orthodox Church was the enemy because it had stood by while supporting the Tsar.

"Lucky" me! More proof of how religion can be used to discriminate against certain folks. What began as a Muslim ban was given the go ahead by the SC. Nothing to do with Christianity vs Islam...right? No religious underpinning here, right? Now Trump can use religion to invoke "national security" concerns, just like it can be used to discriminate against LGBTQ citizens who want a wedding cake. Hallelujah, brother.

Give me a break.

small Warning,minor observation: NBA players/drafted "Praise the lord"

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy