With the ninth pick, the NY Knicks select Kevin Knox
Author Thread
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
6/22/2018  12:36 AM
NardDogNation wrote:
Uptown wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:Bad night over all. Mikal was right there, bad first draft by this crew

Bridges was drafted @ 10 and essentially traded for the 16th pick in the draft...I wasn't completely sold on Bridges.

...AND a 2021 first round pick via Miami, which isn't anything to scoff at if it's lightly protected. That's a worthwhile proposition IMO. It opens the door to a number of different possibilities.

Damn, just hit me the Suns got Ayton, Mikal and that PG from France who is supposed to be pretty good. They possibly landed 3 lotto talents

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
AUTOADVERT
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

6/22/2018  12:58 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Uptown wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:Bad night over all. Mikal was right there, bad first draft by this crew

Bridges was drafted @ 10 and essentially traded for the 16th pick in the draft...I wasn't completely sold on Bridges.

...AND a 2021 first round pick via Miami, which isn't anything to scoff at if it's lightly protected. That's a worthwhile proposition IMO. It opens the door to a number of different possibilities.

Damn, just hit me the Suns got Ayton, Mikal and that PG from France who is supposed to be pretty good. They possibly landed 3 lotto talents

They've been picking up lottery talent for a number of years, but just keep getting worse, though.
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
JesseDark
Member: #467
6/22/2018  1:34 AM
I bet Clyde is coming up with alliterations right now. "Knox the Knick with the Knack." "Knox knock'em down"
Bring back dee-fense
Mike1989
Member: #8627

6/22/2018  3:04 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Okobo, Booker, Jackson, Warren, Mikal, Chriss, Bender, Ayton - eight young talented players with upside. They have a bright future if enough of them pan out.

Mike1989
Member: #8627

6/22/2018  3:06 AM
I'll be honest Knox wouldn't have been my pick at 9, but the talent and upside is there if he puts everything together. Factor in Robinson and if he puts it together we might have completed our front court with our 2018 picks. Then again there's a lot to bust potential in these two as well. So while I can appreciate why we went for the upside guys, I might have gone a different way had I been picking.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/22/2018  3:18 AM
Mike1989 wrote:I'll be honest Knox wouldn't have been my pick at 9, but the talent and upside is there if he puts everything together. Factor in Robinson and if he puts it together we might have completed our front court with our 2018 picks. Then again there's a lot to bust potential in these two as well. So while I can appreciate why we went for the upside guys, I might have gone a different way had I been picking.

I was hoping for a SF and PF/C out of this draft. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Maximum potential even if it’s a little risky. They swung for the fences but in a calculated manner.

smackeddog
Member: #883
6/22/2018  4:29 AM
nixluva wrote:
Mike1989 wrote:I'll be honest Knox wouldn't have been my pick at 9, but the talent and upside is there if he puts everything together. Factor in Robinson and if he puts it together we might have completed our front court with our 2018 picks. Then again there's a lot to bust potential in these two as well. So while I can appreciate why we went for the upside guys, I might have gone a different way had I been picking.

I was hoping for a SF and PF/C out of this draft. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Maximum potential even if it’s a little risky. They swung for the fences but in a calculated manner.

Plus Knox allows for a lot of versatility in our lineups--can play SF and PF, allowing KP to slide between PF and C when he returns.

I'm pleased with the pick- let's hope the new coaching staff can get the best out of him

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

6/22/2018  6:45 AM
nixluva wrote:

In another post you said we executed our vision. Do you believe we drafted high IQ, two way players in these two? If not what fence were we swinging for? When the prototypical player we should have drafted was sitting for us, we went for an isolation player with questionable defense, and low court vision, so explain what exactly is the upside here? He can aspire to be a Melo type chucker? Just to be clear, I consider that downside, not upside.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

6/22/2018  6:50 AM
no team is winning without multiple shot creators
It was clear last year that even when we played well
We relied too heavily on KP creating a shot
Then Timmy and Enes had to play bigger than talent commands roles.

So essentially Kp, Kanter and Timmy were the three main shot creators.

If we are moving KP to 5, Knox comes in, we need that shot creating. It won't always be pretty this next year. But I think we do need shot creators and wing players that can score apart from KP.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/22/2018  7:04 AM
https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/Bolt/John-Calipari-says-Kevin-Knox-needs-to-toughen-up-to-snap-out-of-recent-slump-113355459/
RIP Crushalot😞
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

6/22/2018  7:17 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:no team is winning without multiple shot creators
It was clear last year that even when we played well
We relied too heavily on KP creating a shot
Then Timmy and Enes had to play bigger than talent commands roles.

So essentially Kp, Kanter and Timmy were the three main shot creators.

If we are moving KP to 5, Knox comes in, we need that shot creating. It won't always be pretty this next year. But I think we do need shot creators and wing players that can score apart from KP.

Kanter was a shot creator? He only got the ball when he rebounded it.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Cartman718
Member: #1694

6/22/2018  8:13 AM
JesseDark wrote:I bet Clyde is coming up with alliterations right now. "Knox the Knick with the Knack." "Knox knock'em down"

"right now its looking like the New York Knox are going to win this one"

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Cartman718
Member: #1694

6/22/2018  8:16 AM
BRIGGS wrote:https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/Bolt/John-Calipari-says-Kevin-Knox-needs-to-toughen-up-to-snap-out-of-recent-slump-113355459/

"Calipari took a similar approach with big men Anthony Davis, Karl-Anthony Towns and Skal Labissiere, all big men with considerable perimeter skills and says the post work will help round out the rest of his game.

"All that stuff, he needs to just get it, keep doing it and that part of his game comes around and he's that guy.""

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/22/2018  9:57 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
nixluva wrote:

In another post you said we executed our vision. Do you believe we drafted high IQ, two way players in these two? If not what fence were we swinging for? When the prototypical player we should have drafted was sitting for us, we went for an isolation player with questionable defense, and low court vision, so explain what exactly is the upside here? He can aspire to be a Melo type chucker? Just to be clear, I consider that downside, not upside.

This is where you either trust the FO or you dont. They are working with more info than we are. We have game footage and highlight tapes and agenda driven tweets and articles. However the FO has interviewed the players and more importantly set them through workouts.

Knox doesnt strike me as young guy who's BB IQ jumps out. He's a prospect in every sense of the word. He's shown he can do it all but like any young prospect is can the talent turn into a consistent player?

I like that the FO chose the guy they wanted.

I think his floor is what we got from Beas last year. A good scorer, will have some big games rebounding or doing other athletic things but most a bucket maker. His ceiling is all star forward. In that regard its a good gamble. I liked Mikal also. I think our FO went into this with a list of checks and Knox hit the most boxes, its that simple. No agenda or agent BS... just take the guy they had as the BPA. Coach loves him. He's 18. Look like he could be another nice block

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
JesseDark
Member: #467
6/22/2018  10:17 AM
Cartman718 wrote:
JesseDark wrote:I bet Clyde is coming up with alliterations right now. "Knox the Knick with the Knack." "Knox knock'em down"

"right now its looking like the New York Knox are going to win this one"

Knox's block Knicks stop!

Bring back dee-fense
knicks1248
Member: #582
6/22/2018  10:27 AM
I considered this to be a very conservative pick.

The thing i dont like about it, we have been a team that takes the least amount of FT attempts in the league, and we draft a guy who shy's away from contact like most of our roster.

We still don't have a play maker, a guy who is going to get into the paint, create for himself and others, a guy who is going to relentlessly push the pace.

This FO has proven to be a very passive in everything that they do involving the roster. I thought we should traded up, or down for an additional pick even if we had to sacrifice a future pick. After 5 losing season we needed to come out as winners in this draft and we didn't

ES
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/22/2018  11:15 AM
Nice:

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Chandler
Member: #6197

6/22/2018  11:23 AM
As a fan I will remain optimistic on this

Kentucky IMO is one of the few big programs where players come into NBA and excel (Ohio, Duke, Kansas etc lots of disappoint -- not necessarily bad but lower than expected)

Size seems good. And he's young. Seems like team is being constructed so that KP will soon be the old man. Also keep in mind that as this guy and Frank get to be say 21-22 you can then draft guys like Mikal to fill in gaps and who are more of a "known" since they'll have more years of college/tape etc.

So while I still don't get the team's identity, it at least seems like they have a legitimate plan age-wise

(5)(5)
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/22/2018  11:23 AM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/06/22/2018-nba-draft-hawks-knicks-among-biggest-winners/724476002/

WINNERS:

New York Knicks

The Knicks resisted the temptation to snag Porter Jr. at No. 9 and took Kevin Knox — a versatile wing out of Kentucky who’s still developing. Initially seen as a late-lottery talent, the Knicks stuck to their guns with Knox rather than take someone like Mikal Bridges, a system player without as much upside. Knox can run the floor, lead transition breaks, take the ball off the bounce and hit from outside. There’s always pressure to find an immediate contributor, but Knox’s trajectory fits with the Knicks’ timeline. He should also complement Kristaps Porzingis well as the two can both draw defenders out to the perimeter.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/22/2018  11:25 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/22/2018  11:27 AM
knicks1248 wrote:I considered this to be a very conservative pick.

The thing i dont like about it, we have been a team that takes the least amount of FT attempts in the league, and we draft a guy who shy's away from contact like most of our roster.

We still don't have a play maker, a guy who is going to get into the paint, create for himself and others, a guy who is going to relentlessly push the pace.

This FO has proven to be a very passive in everything that they do involving the roster. I thought we should traded up, or down for an additional pick even if we had to sacrifice a future pick. After 5 losing season we needed to come out as winners in this draft and we didn't

Might have a case if Sexton wasnt picked ahead of us. Dont know if you watched one of the games that was posted, but Knox was doing a good job of drawing contact, getting to the line. Did a good job of using his wingspan to force the other team to foul.

Conservative means preserving the status quo. Drafting (for better or worse) like the previous regime. I seriously doubt Phil would have made the same picks. They range from moderate to high risk, a little of everything. Might not have had adequate assests (without including KP) to move up.

Dont expect everyone to be on board with the pick, but I believe there is enough talent there to see why Knox was picked.

With the ninth pick, the NY Knicks select Kevin Knox

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy