6/23/2018  10:21 AM
joec32033 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Uptown wrote:
technomaster wrote:Well, if he has a short shelf life, can he be good enough early enough to be a difference maker. I think of Brandon Roy. Buddy had no cartilage in his knees. He was fantastic al-star talent for several years, then just couldn’t do it anymore.

The more useless version is Jonathan Bender, whose entire career was taken from him, short of maybe a dozen impressive games on the Knicks. He should have been Anthony Davis but just was never healthy enough.

From what I read, there was a study of 61 nba players who had his type of procedure done. They all returned as good or better the 2nd year after the surgery.

Great post! Thanks for this info....

How old were they at the time of their procedure? Were they still growing at the time? How long were they in the league at the time of their injury? What position did they play? It should make me feel better about his health, but it doesnt.

There was a story that Porter jr. couldnt get out of bed after working out for a team because of severe hip pain. If its true, did the players in that study go through similar issues?

All the cloak and dagger about Porter jr's medical records is enough to want see the Knicks pass. If the team that has his medical records passes on him, when they are short at his position, long term. It feels like an unecessary risk with less info.

Not directly meant at you, but this is so funny. Just last year people were screaming that they didnt take Dennis Smith even though he had ACL surgeries AND he wouldnt give them his medical records. Now the kid is screaming he is ok and now people are saying pass. Until he plays well. Then we hear the crying.

The difference was that Smith jr. showed to be no worse for wear, and we're talking about a back injury.

Porter jr. also had a recent hip injury that kept him in bed for a day. I didnt disagree with folks who thought his medical records was a legit reason to pass.on him.

Not the caricature of a me first, selfish coach killer, he was made out to be by some here. No complaints about Smith jr's attitude from one of the toughest coaches in the league.

Taking that perspective I would be even MORE wary of Smith. Because he is essentially saying "No you cant look at my records to determine a poosible long term issue, but pay me my money for the next 5 years". Im not saying he did that, but i still want to look at possible LONG term issues that may arise, as opposed to banking on short term sample sizes. That is very naive. Meanwhile, at least Porter is up front about everything.

Naive? Get bent. Porter couldnt get out of bed after workouts, and Smith jr. was doing windmill dunks before the draft. One player was ready to play, the other one still isnt 100 percent. Being upfront about your medical issues doesnt change them.

Get bent? Cool dude, 2005 wants their insult back. Why the hell are you so defensive? I didnt call you naive, i said for a team to not look at long term affects of any serious injury while banking on short term performance. It is naive to draft someone whose injury may cut their career shorter because of wear and tear on a repaired joint, just because the can windmill dunk (Your words, not mine) afterwards.

Actually that expression is a lot older. Telling someone their perspective is "very naive" is not a compliment in anyone's book. You might not hear it in a game of "Dozens" but its still an insult. Poor choice of words on your part.

I had just finished agreeing with you that Smith jr not showing his medical report was a legit reason to pass on him, but I guess that wasnt enough.

You brought up the comparison to Smith jr. You were also suggesting that it was the exact same situation with Porter jr.. Its not. One of them was 100 perecent and showing it. We still dont know if Porter jr will completely recover.

Smith jr regained all of his explosiveness. Much more risk with a player who has yet to prove he has completely healed, or will ever be the same player again. Smith fell to us because of the injury. I was for drafting Smith becuase he was a top pick before the injury and looked no worse for wear. No way is that the same situation as someone who cant out of his fing bed.

AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
6/23/2018  10:43 AM
Some interesting stuff has come out about Porter since the draft. Apparently some teams commissioned a second medical evaluation that did not go as well for Porter. Also, heard that Jerry West loved Porter and the Clips passed on him twice at 12 and 13. Another source said Porter's injury is similar to Tiger Woods. Sounds like he may sit out next year. I am glad the Knicks didn't go there. The franchise has had too much bad luck to take that chance.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/23/2018  12:03 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Some interesting stuff has come out about Porter since the draft. Apparently some teams commissioned a second medical evaluation that did not go as well for Porter. Also, heard that Jerry West loved Porter and the Clips passed on him twice at 12 and 13. Another source said Porter's injury is similar to Tiger Woods. Sounds like he may sit out next year. I am glad the Knicks didn't go there. The franchise has had too much bad luck to take that chance.

Heard Porter interviewed on the radio prior to the draft...When talking about his hip problem, he mentioned that he had gone through an MRI and the results were "better than past ones" (or something to that effect). I took this to mean that he had experienced problems with his hips before... I didn't think he was talking about his back.

Pre-draft article hints at the hip issue being a continuing problem, which may back up what I heard.

Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Flipboard (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
Michael Porter Jr. told the Will Cain Show on Monday that he’s “feeling great” and that the information that made the rounds last week was “exaggerated a lot”.

Porter, who missed almost his entire freshman season after undergoing surgery on his back, cancelled a workout that was supposed to take place on Friday due to issues in his hip. It was reported to be spasms, bad enough that he wasn’t able to get out of bed, according to a report from ESPN. It’s worth noting that the original injury he was said to be dealing with at Missouri was a hip injury, not a back injury.

Porter eventually attended Friday’s team workout, although he didn’t workout, he only allowed teams to have their doctors evaluate his back.

“I got evaluated,” Porter said. “I let the doctors come in and do all their tests on me. I’m feeling good. I think the teams are comfortable, but I might get a couple workouts in.”

“It was just a little sore, so I told [my agent] my hip was kind of sore and he just wanted to shut it down for a couple of days,” Porter said. “And then people took that and kind of ran with it, saying, you know, my hip was injured, I couldn’t get out of bed. None of that was really true. I was just sore and I wanted to take a couple of days off. So that’s all that was.”

Porter added that his back is “normal. I have no issues with it. There’s no risk of reinjury [and] every MRI that I’ve done is perfect.”

Biggest red light is that West, who had 2 picks and could have used one to gamble on Porter, chose to pass.

For those who are much older...there is the classic story of Dizzy Dean, a baseball pitcher who was very good, hurt his toe...changed his pitching motion...and then hurt his arm because of the motion change, and was never the same pitcher.

You wonder if Porter made adjustments because of one injury, and it let to the other.

He may become a great player at some point, but it would have been foolish to take him given what we know.

I also have doubts about his D at the NBA level...think of the flexibility and twisting/turning movement it takes to be a good defender...back and hips are essential.

Perry and Mills did the right thing.

Period.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/23/2018  2:26 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:Heard Porter interviewed on the radio prior to the draft...When talking about his hip problem, he mentioned that he had gone through an MRI and the results were "better than past ones" (or something to that effect). I took this to mean that he had experienced problems with his hips before... I didn't think he was talking about his back.

Pre-draft article hints at the hip issue being a continuing problem, which may back up what I heard.

So here is a personal take.

I've had back and hip issues for about a year and a half now and KNOW that they are both interconnected, each injury and person is different obviously but body mechanics work similarly. Don't have anything near what Porter is going thru (and I'm as old as **** compared to him) but it's maybe in the same range of where his recovery is putting him in. Tiger Woods probably had a worse version of what Porter is going through.

If Porter has the injury plus an imbalance some place in back and hip, it's a long hard road to getting normal, IF you can get there.

Maybe his hip problem is completely unrelated, but this is the second time over the past year I've read that Porter has had hip issues and I'd guess they are related to back.

I'm no doctor but have seen waaaaayyyyy too many over the past year

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/23/2018  2:57 PM
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/250324/Nuggets-Not-Sure-If-Michael-Porter-Will-Play-At-All-During-18-19-Season

Nuggets Not Sure If Michael Porter Will Play At All During 18-19 Season
JUN 22, 2018 7:32 PM

The Denver Nuggets are not sure if Michael Porter Jr. will play in Summer League, or even at all during the 18-19 season, according to Josh Kroenke.

Porter fell to No. 14 due to concerns with his medicals.

Sources say the Sacramento Kings seriously considered taking Porter at No. 2.

Porter walked around with a slight limp before his post-draft news conference.

Three officials from teams with top-10 picks told The Undefeated they were highly concerned about Porter Jr.’s health.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/23/2018  10:40 PM
martin wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:Heard Porter interviewed on the radio prior to the draft...When talking about his hip problem, he mentioned that he had gone through an MRI and the results were "better than past ones" (or something to that effect). I took this to mean that he had experienced problems with his hips before... I didn't think he was talking about his back.

I've had back and hip issues for about a year and a half now and KNOW that they are both interconnected, each injury and person is different obviously but body mechanics work similarly. Don't have anything near what Porter is going thru (and I'm as old as **** compared to him) but it's maybe in the same range of where his recovery is putting him in. Tiger Woods probably had a worse version of what Porter is going through.

If Porter has the injury plus an imbalance some place in back and hip, it's a long hard road to getting normal, IF you can get there.

Maybe his hip problem is completely unrelated, but this is the second time over the past year I've read that Porter has had hip issues and I'd guess they are related to back.

Our brain trust did the right thing...If Jackson had taken KP under similar circumstances at #4, folks around here would have been screaming bloody murder.

The hip issue was the final straw, I expect...Teams were worried about his back, his physicals were not readily available at first, he doesn't seem to have done a workout for anyone (Did he?), and then he goes and hurts his hip.

The was a lack of transparency by Porter and his people, made it seem like they were hiding something...and they probably were.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

6/23/2018  10:43 PM
technomaster wrote:Well, if he has a short shelf life, can he be good enough early enough to be a difference maker. I think of Brandon Roy. Buddy had no cartilage in his knees. He was fantastic al-star talent for several years, then just couldn’t do it anymore.

The more useless version is Jonathan Bender, whose entire career was taken from him, short of maybe a dozen impressive games on the Knicks. He should have been Anthony Davis but just was never healthy enough.

From what I read, there was a study of 61 nba players who had his type of procedure done. They all returned as good or better the 2nd year after the surgery.

One of the larger problems actually becomes a resource management problem. IF, and it's a huge IF, MPJr does pan out and/or develop as people hope, it might not be until his 2nd contract. The team drafting him will eat his growing pains, rehab and development just to process him for his next team.

It would be like a dude dating a woman who was fat in college. She graduated, got a nice job, got her own place, lost the weight, and guess what? All that work he put into that relationship, maybe helping her with her diet, exercise, self esteem, etc, goes just to benefit the new guy in place. It was an article I read in some health magazine, that lap band surgery, when it's successful, a lot of married people branch swing out to someone else.

If he's shut down now, his contract "tolls", if not, then it's a more complicated story. What you don't want is a guy kinda plays for 15 percent of the season, gets enough service time to qualify for a full season, then gets shelved and that happens a couple of years in a row. If he breaks out after that, you are stuck with a really hard decision long term. If he doesn't break out, he's a sunk cost and you have to question the true opportunity cost of even the roster spot and minutes.

He creates a ton of lose/lose situations. He'd be better off being a 2nd rounder oddly given his specific case. I wish him the best though as a fan of the game.

Welpee
Member: #6239

6/23/2018  11:11 PM
martin wrote:

Just like I heard someone say once about Sam Bowie, if someone has to go through an 8 hour physical that should be a red flag not to draft the dude, especially with the 2nd pick. I initially said let's roll the dice on Porter but on second thought I'm glad we passed on him.

Gallo had a bad back and it didn't seem to impact his career. Larry Johnson developed a bad back and was never the same. Who knows how this will go with Porter, but it wasn't worth the gamble for anyone picking ahead of Denver.

joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
6/24/2018  8:48 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Uptown wrote:

How old were they at the time of their procedure? Were they still growing at the time? How long were they in the league at the time of their injury? What position did they play? It should make me feel better about his health, but it doesnt.

There was a story that Porter jr. couldnt get out of bed after working out for a team because of severe hip pain. If its true, did the players in that study go through similar issues?

All the cloak and dagger about Porter jr's medical records is enough to want see the Knicks pass. If the team that has his medical records passes on him, when they are short at his position, long term. It feels like an unecessary risk with less info.

Not directly meant at you, but this is so funny. Just last year people were screaming that they didnt take Dennis Smith even though he had ACL surgeries AND he wouldnt give them his medical records. Now the kid is screaming he is ok and now people are saying pass. Until he plays well. Then we hear the crying.

The difference was that Smith jr. showed to be no worse for wear, and we're talking about a back injury.

Porter jr. also had a recent hip injury that kept him in bed for a day. I didnt disagree with folks who thought his medical records was a legit reason to pass.on him.

Not the caricature of a me first, selfish coach killer, he was made out to be by some here. No complaints about Smith jr's attitude from one of the toughest coaches in the league.

Taking that perspective I would be even MORE wary of Smith. Because he is essentially saying "No you cant look at my records to determine a poosible long term issue, but pay me my money for the next 5 years". Im not saying he did that, but i still want to look at possible LONG term issues that may arise, as opposed to banking on short term sample sizes. That is very naive. Meanwhile, at least Porter is up front about everything.

Naive? Get bent. Porter couldnt get out of bed after workouts, and Smith jr. was doing windmill dunks before the draft. One player was ready to play, the other one still isnt 100 percent. Being upfront about your medical issues doesnt change them.

Get bent? Cool dude, 2005 wants their insult back. Why the hell are you so defensive? I didnt call you naive, i said for a team to not look at long term affects of any serious injury while banking on short term performance. It is naive to draft someone whose injury may cut their career shorter because of wear and tear on a repaired joint, just because the can windmill dunk (Your words, not mine) afterwards.

Actually that expression is a lot older. Telling someone their perspective is "very naive" is not a compliment in anyone's book. You might not hear it in a game of "Dozens" but its still an insult. Poor choice of words on your part.

I had just finished agreeing with you that Smith jr not showing his medical report was a legit reason to pass on him, but I guess that wasnt enough.

You brought up the comparison to Smith jr. You were also suggesting that it was the exact same situation with Porter jr.. Its not. One of them was 100 perecent and showing it. We still dont know if Porter jr will completely recover.

Smith jr regained all of his explosiveness. Much more risk with a player who has yet to prove he has completely healed, or will ever be the same player again. Smith fell to us because of the injury. I was for drafting Smith becuase he was a top pick before the injury and looked no worse for wear. No way is that the same situation as someone who cant out of his fing bed.

Take 2. I never called you naive. Reading comprehension is fundamental. I called teams ignoring long term effects of serious injury naive. As a Knick fan living through McDyess, Amare, and Allan Houston, I kinda figured you would understand that. Im also not saying Porter was a better investment than Smith. Just drawing a parallel they handled it in different ways and it was also relevant due to what Bilas said about players releasing medical records to every team.

~You can't run from who you are.~
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/24/2018  9:27 AM
joec32033 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Take 2. I never called you naive. Reading comprehension is fundamental. I called teams ignoring long term effects of serious injury naive. As a Knick fan living through McDyess, Amare, and Allan Houston, I kinda figured you would understand that. Im also not saying Porter was a better investment than Smith. Just drawing a parallel they handled it in different ways and it was also relevant due to what Bilas said about players releasing medical records to every team.

You mean "very naive" like when I suggested we take a chance on Smith? That kind of naive? Own it.

Take 3, I told you twice that Smith not sharing his medical records was a legit reason to pass on him. What more do you want?

I thought it was worth the risk considering hiw depleted we were, and Smith was 100 percent and 19, not an NBA veteran with mutliple knee injuries.

You, in your infinite wisdom, originally put forward the proposition that a player who cant get out of bed after workouts, walking with a limp because of multiple injuries, including a back injury, is comparable to a player who has fully recovered from their injury and showing it.

Long term is another contract. Knicks havent signed a draft pick to a new deal since Charlie Ward. Lets cross that bridge when we get to it.

joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
6/24/2018  12:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/24/2018  12:28 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Uptown wrote:

You mean "very naive" like when I suggested we take a chance on Smith? That kind of naive? Own it.

Take 3, I told you twice that Smith not sharing his medical records was a legit reason to pass on him. What more do you want?

I thought it was worth the risk considering hiw depleted we were, and Smith was 100 percent and 19, not an NBA veteran with mutliple knee injuries.

You, in your infinite wisdom, originally put forward the proposition that a player who cant get out of bed after workouts, walking with a limp because of multiple injuries, including a back injury, is comparable to a player who has fully recovered from their injury and showing it.

Long term is another contract. Knicks havent signed a draft pick to a new deal since Charlie Ward. Lets cross that bridge when we get to it.

Do you need to play the martyr? Ok man. Whatever. All I was trying to say just because dude is playing NOW does not make him a good investment. Smith sat SEVERAL games because of knee issues. There IS a parallel. You can say Porter could be another Simmons or Embiid...who redshirted their rookie year and are currently great players (although my personal feeling is Embiid flames out early due to his injuries). You need to have an eye on the long term with draft picks.

Honestly, if you havent gotten what i said the past several posts, feel the need to keep saying "own it" when I have nothing to "own", and you arenjust not going to believe what I am saying when I try to explain it to you, I see no need to further this conversation with you.

You are right about it all. I am wrong. You win. I lose. You are a lot smarter than me. I digress. No need to converse on this topic any more.

May you have a wonderful day.

~You can't run from who you are.~
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/24/2018  1:08 PM
joec32033 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Do you need to play the martyr? Ok man. Whatever. All I was trying to say just because dude is playing NOW does not make him a good investment. Smith sat SEVERAL games because of knee issues. There IS a parallel. You can say Porter could be another Simmons or Embiid...who redshirted their rookie year and are currently great players (although my personal feeling is Embiid flames out early due to his injuries). You need to have an eye on the long term with draft picks.

Honestly, if you havent gotten what i said the past several posts, feel the need to keep saying "own it" when I have nothing to "own", and you arenjust not going to believe what I am saying when I try to explain it to you, I see no need to further this conversation with you.

You are right about it all. I am wrong. You win. I lose. You are a lot smarter than me. I digress. No need to converse on this topic any more.

May you have a wonderful day.

"I stand here, martyred for my naiveté..."

MPJr Might Drop To Us Tonight

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy