[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The ULTIMATE KNICKS DRAFT PARTY! (2018 Draft Night Thread)
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/21/2018  11:16 PM
Cartman718 wrote:

Thanks, liked thr blocks, and going coast to coast. Can see why theyre intruiged.

AUTOADVERT
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

6/21/2018  11:16 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/21/2018  11:24 PM
Intriguing pick...Did we work him out? If not...who scouted him?

Sleeper or future disappointment? Seems like a kid who needs to get his head on straight. Seems to have some talent.

Interesting kid to follow and see if he develops.

- Physical specimen. Measured 7-foot tall without shoes with a long wingspan and gigantic standing reach. Huge hands. Wide shoulders. Decent legs. Fluid, mobile, explosive athlete. Quick off his feet. Bouncy.
- Has a degree of natural skill and talent that is difficult to teach. Soft hands. Great touch around the basket and even stretching it out past the 3-point line. Long strides in the open court. Covers a huge amount of ground with a single dribble. Plays a coveted role as a rim-running, pick and roll finisher.
- Possesses significant upside. One of the best shot-blockers and offensive rebounders in Nike EYBL history, a traditionally strong level of competition. Highest PER in event history. Has significant potential defensively with his physical tools, ability to cover ground and solid timing.

Improvement areas
- Has made a series of bad decisions that give NBA teams reason for pause. Twice committed and abandoned Western Kentucky, the college he surprisingly elected to attend. Didn't attend the NBA combine. Already on his second agent. Background intel is concerning. Has barely been seen by NBA teams outside of workouts.
- Still a project. Hasn't received much coaching and has poor fundamentals outside of his natural talent. Has a great frame but needs to get much stronger to handle the rigors of the NBA, especially in the lower body. Has high hips that cause him to play the game very upright and get knocked off balance too easily. Can he develop his ability to switch ball-screens and be a factor stepping outside the paint defensively?
- Doesn't really know what he is at this stage. Wants to step outside and shoot 3s. Fancies himself a power forward. Motor, confidence and approach to the game fluctuate. Feel on both ends leaves something to be desired. Lacks any type of real experience playing against high-level competition.

Projected role: Vertical spacing, rim-running shot-blocker

Full scouting report Insider

--Jonathan Givony

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

6/21/2018  11:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/21/2018  11:21 PM
Complete waste of high second rounder, dude hasn't even played against anything more than high school completion
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/21/2018  11:21 PM
Robinson is the definition of a high risk reward player. I dont mind them taking a chance like this in the second round. Fizdale might be the right coach for him.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/21/2018  11:22 PM
Love this draft. Porter being available terrified me. Mitchell's Robinson was a lottery talent. Time for Fiz and the developers to get this kid right.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

6/21/2018  11:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/21/2018  11:26 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:Another dimwit

My thoughts exactly. Never though I'd say this but maybe Phil Jackson was the one actually making our draft picks. There is definitely a different feel to what we're doing this year and I do not mean in a good way.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
6/21/2018  11:25 PM
Robinson looks a little like Thon Maker
WaltLongmire

6/21/2018  11:25 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Love this draft. Porter being available terrified me. Mitchell's Robinson was a lottery talent. Time for Fiz and the developers to get this kid right.

He was linked to the Lakers at 25 by some.

You know much about him?

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Cartman718
Member: #1694

6/21/2018  11:26 PM
NardDogNation wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Never though I'd say this but maybe Phil Jackson was the one actually making our draft picks. There is definitely a different feel to what we're doing this year and definitely not in a good way.

time will tell

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
meloshouldgo

6/21/2018  11:28 PM
So much for "smart two way" players.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/21/2018  11:31 PM
NardDogNation wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Never though I'd say this but maybe Phil Jackson was the one actually making our draft picks. There is definitely a different feel to what we're doing this year and I do not mean in a good way.

It was the 36th pick in the draft. The second round is all a crap shoot as most of these players wont be in the league in 3 years....Did you want the Knicks to make a safe pick at 36?

WaltLongmire

6/21/2018  11:35 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:So much for "smart two way" players.

Depends on what they ask him to do.

He seems to have some talent...maybe he just needs a simple and defined role. One video compared him to Tyson Chandler, who, if you really think about it, has had a successful NBA career with a minimal skill set.

Play D...block shots...finish on the pick and roll, at first, and see if he can do more than this down the line.

meloshouldgo

6/21/2018  11:38 PM
Uptown wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

It was the 36th pick in the draft. The second round is all a crap shoot as most of these players wont be in the league in 3 years....Did you want the Knicks to make a safe pick at 36?

There were plenty of players who would make solid bench players available. Kyrie Thomas, Bates-Diop, and on. Why exactly did we need high risk low reward player? Y'all wanted Hernangomez gone and you like this pick? A twenty year old who had never even played college ball? Has a learning curve the size of Texas?

meloshouldgo

6/21/2018  11:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/22/2018  6:25 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:

He seems to have some talent...maybe he just needs a simple and defined role. One video compared him to Tyson Chandler, who, if you really think about it, has had a successful NBA career with a minimal skill set.

Play D...block shots...finish on the pick and roll, at first, and see if he can do more than this down the line.

I really don't care what they ask him to do. Sometimes it's about the opportunity cost of what you could have gotten instead of drafting the second coming of Anthony Randolph with less skills and even less brains if that's even possible.

CrushAlot
USA
6/21/2018  11:46 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Robinson is the definition of a high risk reward player. I dont mind them taking a chance like this in the second round. Fizdale might be the right coach for him.

This. Reports were that the Lakers traded for 39 to get Robinson. Lottery talent with warts.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/21/2018  11:47 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Uptown wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

There were plenty of players who would make solid bench players available. Kyrie Thomas, Bates-Diop, and on. Why exactly did we need high risk low reward player? Y'all wanted Hernangomez gone and you like this pick? A twenty year old who had never even played college ball? Has a learning curve the size of Texas?

With KOQ opting out and Kanter with one year left on his deal, we needed a big that we can develop. Frank, Knox, Dotson, and now Robinson can learn and grow together....We aint competing for playoff spot for a while so the learning curve shouldnt be an issue...

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
6/21/2018  11:48 PM
Like what Bulls did with Carter and Hutchinson. 2 stat fillers who offer versatility. As well as Minny with Okogie and Bates-Diop. They can provide quality 3-D and athleticism on the perimeter behind Butler and Wiggins.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
CrushAlot
USA
6/21/2018  11:50 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Love this draft. Porter being available terrified me. Mitchell's Robinson was a lottery talent. Time for Fiz and the developers to get this kid right.

He was linked to the Lakers at 25 by some.

You know much about him?

he is explosive from the little bit of video I have seen from him. He is rated pretty high by analysts. Was in the Bamba, Carter Jackson group coming out of high school. But those guys have quite a pedigree.
WaltLongmire

6/21/2018  11:58 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

I neatly don't care sat they SDK him to do. Sometimes it's about the opportunity cost of what you could have gotten instead of drafting the second coming of Anthony Randolph with less skills and even less brains if that's even possible.

As is always the case...it is always better to wait before condemning a pick like this.

Definitely a "different" kind of pick, given his minimal career, but I'm willing to wait and see if they saw something in the kid that made him worth the pick.

You need to see a couple of years of development before you condemn the pick. Highly thought of coming out of HS.

Better to be curious than condemn at this point...you will have enough time to do the latter if he doesn't develop.

CrushAlot
USA
6/22/2018  12:00 AM
NardDogNation wrote:

Couldn't disagree more. The first round pick wasn't chosen based on just an interview and tape. The coach was involved in the decision. The player chosen had amazing workouts reported by multiple scouts and the coach loved him. The second round pick was a lottery talent with warts. In the second round you take chances. Robinson has a lot of upside.
The ULTIMATE KNICKS DRAFT PARTY! (2018 Draft Night Thread)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy