The true reality of the draft
Author Thread
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

6/21/2018  3:00 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:Id rather take my chances drafting rather than throwing our picks away for bloated contracts for one dimensionals players like we did for over a decade

Dude we haven't drafted well at all, so how can you say that, and just because on president traded draft picks for trash doesn't mean it isn't possible to make a very good trade using your pick.

So your saying I don't trust them to make power move trade, but you trust them to draft a game changer, which they have yet to do

We've drafted pretty decently dating back to Isiah. We just haven't done a good job of keeping and developing those guys. The real reality is that we just don't know. All we can do is sit back and watch what happens.

And you could make the case that where we've truly, truly sucked is in trades -- especially on the bigger trades. Eddy Curry anyone? Bargs? Carmelo

(5)(5)
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
6/21/2018  3:01 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:Id rather take my chances drafting rather than throwing our picks away for bloated contracts for one dimensionals players like we did for over a decade

Dude we haven't drafted well at all, so how can you say that, and just because on president traded draft picks for trash doesn't mean it isn't possible to make a very good trade using your pick.

So your saying I don't trust them to make power move trade, but you trust them to draft a game changer, which they have yet to do

We've drafted pretty decently dating back to Isiah. We just haven't done a good job of keeping and developing those guys. The real reality is that we just don't know. All we can do is sit back and watch what happens.

Right, and watch the Bull sht unfold.

ES
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

6/21/2018  3:07 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

what is bull****? Do you honestly think we are better off just trading all our picks away for veterans like we did for 15 years.....didnt exactly work out too well
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/21/2018  3:19 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

what is bull****? Do you honestly think we are better off just trading all our picks away for veterans like we did for 15 years.....didnt exactly work out too well
He thought resigning Rose was a smart play. He thinks trading picks for Kemba Walker is a smart play. He forgets his database password. He's a Knick fan (I think) so he's got that going for him
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
StarksEwing1

6/21/2018  3:22 PM
fishmike wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

He thought resigning Rose was a smart play. He thinks trading picks for Kemba Walker is a smart play. He forgets his database password. He's a Knick fan (I think) so he's got that going for him
The only time he was happy was when we had woodson and The 54 win team. Yes those 4-5 months were enjoyable but they were never gonna to last once the postseason started...and thats exactly what happened
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/21/2018  4:20 PM
Ignore the salary cap and how it impacts team building, the three model franchises in the nba(Warriors, Celtics, and Sixers), the fact that 3 of the last 4 championships were won by a team built through the draft, and it is a great article. If you don't build through the draft the othere way to be a contender for a championship is to sign LeBron. One team in 30 gets that guy.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
StarksEwing1

6/21/2018  4:24 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Ignore the salary cap and how it impacts team building, the three model franchises in the nba(Warriors, Celtics, and Sixers), the fact that 3 of the last 4 championships were won by a team built through the draft, and it is a great article. If you don't build through the draft the othere way to be a contender for a championship is to sign LeBron. One team in 30 gets that guy.
Exactly. Unless you have lebron you have to at least somewhat build through the draft. Warriors top guys are primary their drafted players and they won before durant came aboard. OKC was a longtime contender because of their great drafting. People made fun of Philly but they are now loaded with young awesome talent and still have draft picks to spare same with Boston.
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

6/21/2018  9:56 PM
arkrud wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

You cannot trust organization which is not capable to use all available avenues to improve the club in the framework of well thought and pedantically executed plan.
Knicks last 20 years was nothing like that the reason being they were targeting fans like you to be the consumers of their "product".
Fans who have no patience, no systematic view, and no clue about what it takes to win on this level.
I hope this calamity is behind us and in 3, 5 or whatever years will be necessary we can enjoy rooting for winning and hopefully contending team.

The Detroit Lions under Matt Millen ( great player, really fantastic player, good analyst, generally a good solid guy, just a horrible GM) drafted three wide receivers in a row. Roy Williams, Charles Rogers and Big Mike Williams. A couple of years after taking that third straight WR, the Lions got the first overall pick in the draft. The player seen as the best in the class? Future HOFer Calvin Johnson. There was a lot of backlash as to whether the Lions should take yet ANOTHER WR.

But the front office, as well as all league analysts and pundits, saw Johnson as the best player available.

At some point, you have to let go of past mistakes and just do the best you can right in front of you, given the time and place.

Saying a team has a bad record of drafting ultimately means nothing in terms of future drafts. Do the best you can, hope for the best and accept not every pick will pan out.

The draft is imperfect. Very flawed. But what other choice is there? There is no real choice.

OK knicks1248 thinks there are other choices because he proposes trades that the non Knicks team would never take in real life. If Knicks1248 could actually formulate trade scenarios that would actually work for both teams in real life, he'd start to see the futility in anything other than the draft process itself.

So Yes, if trade rape was acceptable to the actual NBA marketplace, then Yes, knicks1248 would, in theory be correct. Trade rape would be more effective than using draft picks.

The true reality of the draft

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy