Author Thread
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

6/21/2018  10:01 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
martin wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:Great news! No reason to resign a backup for big money. Time to move on

I can see a scenario where they sign him to a 1 year deal

i can live with that. I still am surprised we didnt trade him at the deadline
There were not any trades out there. You can't expect to get anything for a guy that is going to opt out of his deal at the end of the season unless a team is chasing cap space. He didn't make that much. But we all followed the deadline. There were no KOQ or Lee deals out there.

I was a bit surprised they couldn't get a second rounder for either -- e.g., for a team needing a bit more depth for playoffs

(5)(5)
AUTOADVERT
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
6/21/2018  10:02 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:He’ll make money somewhere. I hope he does.

The reasoning is sound. If he gets a multi-year deal, good for him. If not, odds are he can equalized out his current deal he opted out from, but from a contender. Where he will get a chance to win and raise his profile on a larger stage.

The tough thing is the market could completely collapse on him. A lot of teams are not in good cap shape now.

right, I cant believe his agent advised him to do that. He's not athletic, and he doesn't shoot 3's. there's not a huge demand for those types of bigs

He will easily get the 4.5mil he opted out of. He is a metric friendly player. He can rebound, pass, blk. He produces in limited mins off the bench. Teams are always looking for guys guys that can produce like him in limited mins off the bench with high metrics.

my point is, there will be something like 19 teams next off season with over 20 mill in cap space.

IMO It would have been smarter to sit tight.

He's not a bum, but with the knicks having just one center on their roster and no KP for a few months, this is when you take the opportunity to shine even brighter

While opportunity is could good here for the yr, I agree on that. If he gets injured then he would really hurt his earnings. He isnt high enough caliber to overcome that.

Teams have mid level exceptions to offer. Odds are high he can command a 1 yr 8 mil contract if he cant secure multiple yrs.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
6/21/2018  10:23 AM
I like him. Hope he gets a good contract. If with us I hope it's reasonable.
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

6/21/2018  9:24 PM
knicks1248 wrote:my point is, there will be something like 19 teams next off season with over 20 mill in cap space.

IMO It would have been smarter to sit tight.

Sit tight for what?

Kanter is likely to opt in, Noah is a dead contract and going nowhere, KP will be back eventually. Not a ton of minutes there at the pivot.

At worst, at the very worst, KOQ can get the exact same contract that he opted out from, but with a team heading to the playoffs and/or a team with a clearer path to playing time and maybe both. Even the Warriors could scrounge 1/4.5 for him.

The teams with cap space next offseason, pragmatically you have to remove money earmarked for extensions on their own players. Once you do that, it's not as much free money out there as some folks think.

To make real coin, he needs a pathway to STARTING. And STARTING on a playoff team. Leaving now builds a rapport with a new team, maybe two if he ends up in a deadline trade. If he knows there's zero future with the Knicks, given his contract status, it's better for him to leave now.

KOQ opts out

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy