[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Author Thread
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

6/21/2018  11:23 AM
Just saw some stuff that the Knicks did not interview Bamba at combine because they didn't think he would fall to 9

Sheesh such a rookie mistake. Why wouldn't you investigate all of the top talent -- maybe you find your match made in heaven and then you figure out if you can make it happen

Not a good look. This FO scares me

(5)(5)
AUTOADVERT
RSparrow2
Member: #6473

6/21/2018  11:27 AM
Chandler wrote:Just saw some stuff that the Knicks did not interview Bamba at combine because they didn't think he would fall to 9

Sheesh such a rookie mistake. Why wouldn't you investigate all of the top talent -- maybe you find your match made in heaven and then you figure out if you can make it happen

This seems to contradict that ...

https://www.facebook.com/BegleyESPN/posts/380289165825572

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/21/2018  11:32 AM
Chandler wrote:Just saw some stuff that the Knicks did not interview Bamba at combine because they didn't think he would fall to 9

I do believe that at the combine teams are allotted a certain amount of interviews and the NBA arranges them, or something like that. Common for teams to NOT be able to willy-nilly interview everyone.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Chandler

6/21/2018  11:48 AM
martin wrote:

I do believe that at the combine teams are allotted a certain amount of interviews and the NBA arranges them, or something like that. Common for teams to NOT be able to willy-nilly interview everyone.

that would explain it. If so I apologize

Of all the picks being mentioned this one intrigues me the most as a game changer. It's not just his length; there are reports that for some of the running drills he was faster than the top guards! plus he's smart (which I think is super important both for play and future development)

After this guy, the next most intriguing to me is SGA but can't rationalize why exactly

Porter scares me (injury); Young scares me (he will get pushed around a lot and hammered over an 82 game season -- he'll be a pinball off picks and they can't switch with him because he'll just get matched with bigger players and abused more); Sexton scares me (too small for SG; don't envision him as upgrade at pg); even Mikal (being packaged as safe pick -- standard ruse) scare me; everyone from Duke scares me.

(5)(5)
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/21/2018  12:18 PM
Chandler wrote:
martin wrote:

Of all the picks being mentioned this one intrigues me the most as a game changer. It's not just his length; there are reports that for some of the running drills he was faster than the top guards! plus he's smart (which I think is super important both for play and future development)

After this guy, the next most intriguing to me is SGA but can't rationalize why exactly

Porter scares me (injury); Young scares me (he will get pushed around a lot and hammered over an 82 game season -- he'll be a pinball off picks and they can't switch with him because he'll just get matched with bigger players and abused more); Sexton scares me (too small for SG; don't envision him as upgrade at pg); even Mikal (being packaged as safe pick -- standard ruse) scare me; everyone from Duke scares me.

Watch him switch on smalls are close out on jumpers. This is the guy.

I would not give up Frank as he's a key to building this defensive squad that has an elite ceiling. But I would give up future or next years #1 and I would move a good player like THJr for Parsons

This is not the first time I have proposed this:
Knicks trade #9, #36, THJ, Mudiay
Knicks receive #4, Parsons

This puts us on a very clear path. We can develop and elite defensive squad AND be in position to sign 2 max guys in two years when Noah/Lance/Lee/Parsons are about $60+mm in expiring contracts.

You can offer two guys max money to join a young squad that currently looks like (post Memphis deal)
C Mo Bamba/Kornet
PF KP
SF Troy/Hicks
SG Dotson
PG Frank

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/21/2018  12:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/21/2018  1:37 PM
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
martin wrote:
Uptown wrote:
martin wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:The idea around adding a guy like Bamba imo would be to mold him as a monster man to man/switch defender who can also stretch the floor. This would make an ideal modern frontline of size, length, defense, spacing.

But 4 also may put us in position of Luka and JJJ.

yes this.

The only guy I DONT like at 4 is Bagley

When all is said and done, Bagley has the potential to end up being the best player in the draft...No way he's there at 4 though...

They had to hide him on defense at Duke, and I don't even follow college ball and I know that

What???? No they didnt

Why’d they switch to zone?

They used the zone most of the year. When bagley got hurt--that team changed--the guy was the best player in CBB before that.

For someone who touts his CBB "expertise" and lets us know how much he watch those games, you miss a lot. I don't follow CBB, I just read random stuff and make note. So many articles about when and why Duke went exclusively to zone, a team that as far as I can tell is known for the man defense over the years.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/26/17163732/duke-zone-marvin-bagley-wendell-carter

The biggest issue for Bagley in those games was his defensive awareness, as it has been all season. While he has the foot speed to get down in a stance and stay in front of smaller guards on the perimeter, he doesn’t have the length (at 6-foot-11, he has only a 7-foot wingspan) or the instincts to consistently rotate over and protect the rim. Bagley can be an elite individual defender when he’s locked in, but that rarely happened this season. His incredibly poor NCAA block percentage (3.8 percent) for a big man with his athletic ability is a good indication that he will not be able to anchor a defense at the next level.

Jim Boeheim was Coach K's assistant during the Team USA Olympic games....Coach K credits Coach B with some influence of using the the 2-3 zone...It wasn't just Bagley, the whole team struggled defensively which was the reason why they played zone...

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2018/03/switch-to-zone-for-last-month-keys-duke-mens-basketballs-defensive-surge

Despite being known historically as a man-to-man coach, Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski learned from Syracuse head coach and former Team USA assistant Jim Boeheim—perhaps the most famous champion of the zone scheme—and has created a masterpiece within his own program.

“We’ve played zone the whole year, but when we went kind of exclusively to it, it has really helped our guys communicate better,” Krzyzewski said after the Blue Devils’ 60-44 win against Syracuse Feb. 24. “Whatever we’re playing, we want to be the best, we don’t want to be second best.... I hope we’re better than Syracuse.”

Also, just saw on ESPN, based on Analytics, Bagley is the highest ranked prospect in the draft with a score of 97.7....take that for what its worth...

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/21/2018  1:17 PM
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
martin wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
martin wrote:
Uptown wrote:
martin wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:The idea around adding a guy like Bamba imo would be to mold him as a monster man to man/switch defender who can also stretch the floor. This would make an ideal modern frontline of size, length, defense, spacing.

But 4 also may put us in position of Luka and JJJ.

yes this.

The only guy I DONT like at 4 is Bagley

When all is said and done, Bagley has the potential to end up being the best player in the draft...No way he's there at 4 though...

They had to hide him on defense at Duke, and I don't even follow college ball and I know that

What???? No they didnt

Why’d they switch to zone?

They used the zone most of the year. When bagley got hurt--that team changed--the guy was the best player in CBB before that.

For someone who touts his CBB "expertise" and lets us know how much he watch those games, you miss a lot. I don't follow CBB, I just read random stuff and make note. So many articles about when and why Duke went exclusively to zone, a team that as far as I can tell is known for the man defense over the years.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/26/17163732/duke-zone-marvin-bagley-wendell-carter

The biggest issue for Bagley in those games was his defensive awareness, as it has been all season. While he has the foot speed to get down in a stance and stay in front of smaller guards on the perimeter, he doesn’t have the length (at 6-foot-11, he has only a 7-foot wingspan) or the instincts to consistently rotate over and protect the rim. Bagley can be an elite individual defender when he’s locked in, but that rarely happened this season. His incredibly poor NCAA block percentage (3.8 percent) for a big man with his athletic ability is a good indication that he will not be able to anchor a defense at the next level.

Ok so you can read a vague article and you can assert your own facts. You're wrong they used zone all year-- don't break them on me when you have zero clue

RIP Crushalot😞
Sangfroid
Member: #2784

6/21/2018  1:51 PM
fishmike wrote:

I would not give up Frank as he's a key to building this defensive squad that has an elite ceiling. But I would give up future or next years #1 and I would move a good player like THJr for Parsons

This puts us on a very clear path. We can develop and elite defensive squad AND be in position to sign 2 max guys in two years when Noah/Lance/Lee/Parsons are about $60+mm in expiring contracts.

You can offer two guys max money to join a young squad that currently looks like (post Memphis deal)
Mo Bamba/Kornet
PF KP
SF Troy/HC icks
SG Dotson
PG Frank

This lineup is a winner. If we can keep our 9th pick, and subsitute it for a switch of picks next year, we would be light years ahead in in our team's development

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
fishmike
USA
6/21/2018  1:51 PM
https://www.si.com/nba/video/2018/02/28/marvin-bagley-iii-defense-needs-improvement
http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2018/02/no-defending-marvin-bagley-iiis-biggest-weakness
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/6/18/17473842/wendell-carter-marvin-bagley-duke-nba-draft

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/marvin-bagley

Overall: Marvin Bagley III entered the season as one of the favorites to the be selected as the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 draft. While that's still a possibility, he's considered more likely to go soon after … Bagley had a stellar season for the Blue Devils, being named both the National Freshman of the Year and the Pete Newell Big Man of the Year by the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC), while etching his name all over the Duke record books ... He also was voted AP first team All American along with two other freshmen (Trae Young and DeAndre Ayton) …High upside but a lot depends on what position he plays, if he can continue to develop his outside jumper, and if he can improve his defensive fundamentals ...

And Duke most certainly did NOT play zone all year... when they switched exclusively to zone midway

Bagley shows flashes of being a lockdown defender on the perimeter, but his technique is worse than Carter’s, and he’s usually a beat slow reacting to movement and rotations. Bagley would often be out of position when defending pick-and-rolls earlier in the season, which is one of the reasons Duke switched to a zone (the other was their porous perimeter guard defense). It’s like Bagley’s CPU lags, so I worry about his ability to think the game at the pro level, where it’s faster and players are more deceptive.

Bagley’s defense could resemble that of a skinny Julius Randle, who shared all of the same flaws after his freshman season at Kentucky. To this day, Randle’s upside flickers, but his lack of length hurts him inside, his technique falls apart on the perimeter, and there are too many mental lapses. But at least Randle is thick. Bagley’s body is so lean that even some larger wings overpowered him on perimeter drives. Bagley is an excellent rebounder; he has the court awareness to chase down balls that complements his bounciness. But it’s close to a wash with Carter, who boxes out, tracks down loose balls, and has the length to grab the ball at its apex. Other than rebounding and occasionally flying in for weakside blocks, is there really a trait for which Bagley can be relied on defensively?

Less vague for you Briggs?

Concerns about Bagley's defense are legit and well documented. Maybe its a non issue in the NBA, but there is nothing vague about concerns with Bagley on the defensive end. Like every scout writes about it

Bagley is a great prospect, but I would not move up for him. Bamba yes. Above reasons being

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
6/21/2018  2:34 PM
fishmike wrote:
Chandler wrote:
martin wrote:

C Mo Bamba/Kornet
PF KP
SF Troy/Hicks
SG Dotson
PG Frank

You are banking that Bamba will be an All-Star type player because if he is not then you just put the team back with that horrible contract. That contract is a deal breaker for me if we have to include the #9 pick and/or Frank.

BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
6/21/2018  2:41 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Chandler wrote:
martin wrote:

C Mo Bamba/Kornet
PF KP
SF Troy/Hicks
SG Dotson
PG Frank

You are banking that Bamba will be an All-Star type player because if he is not then you just put the team back with that horrible contract. That contract is a deal breaker for me if we have to include the #9 pick and/or Frank.

Of course you are banking that Bamba will be an all star player. No Frank in the deal. Contract only prohibits getting a FA for another year. So build through the draft but we are getting a far superior player this year that hopefully will change the course of this franchise for the next 10 years plus. No game changer at pick 9.

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/21/2018  2:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/21/2018  2:52 PM
fishmike wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/video/2018/02/28/marvin-bagley-iii-defense-needs-improvement
http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2018/02/no-defending-marvin-bagley-iiis-biggest-weakness
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/6/18/17473842/wendell-carter-marvin-bagley-duke-nba-draft

Overall: Marvin Bagley III entered the season as one of the favorites to the be selected as the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 draft. While that's still a possibility, he's considered more likely to go soon after … Bagley had a stellar season for the Blue Devils, being named both the National Freshman of the Year and the Pete Newell Big Man of the Year by the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC), while etching his name all over the Duke record books ... He also was voted AP first team All American along with two other freshmen (Trae Young and DeAndre Ayton) …High upside but a lot depends on what position he plays, if he can continue to develop his outside jumper, and if he can improve his defensive fundamentals ...

And Duke most certainly did NOT play zone all year... when they switched exclusively to zone midway

Bagley shows flashes of being a lockdown defender on the perimeter, but his technique is worse than Carter’s, and he’s usually a beat slow reacting to movement and rotations. Bagley would often be out of position when defending pick-and-rolls earlier in the season, which is one of the reasons Duke switched to a zone (the other was their porous perimeter guard defense). It’s like Bagley’s CPU lags, so I worry about his ability to think the game at the pro level, where it’s faster and players are more deceptive.

Bagley’s defense could resemble that of a skinny Julius Randle, who shared all of the same flaws after his freshman season at Kentucky. To this day, Randle’s upside flickers, but his lack of length hurts him inside, his technique falls apart on the perimeter, and there are too many mental lapses. But at least Randle is thick. Bagley’s body is so lean that even some larger wings overpowered him on perimeter drives. Bagley is an excellent rebounder; he has the court awareness to chase down balls that complements his bounciness. But it’s close to a wash with Carter, who boxes out, tracks down loose balls, and has the length to grab the ball at its apex. Other than rebounding and occasionally flying in for weakside blocks, is there really a trait for which Bagley can be relied on defensively?

Concerns about Bagley's defense are legit and well documented. Maybe its a non issue in the NBA, but there is nothing vague about concerns with Bagley on the defensive end. Like every scout writes about it

Bagley is a great prospect, but I would not move up for him. Bamba yes. Above reasons being

They played zone in game 1--they started using it more extensively as he season went on as their man to man was porous( mostly on the perimeter)--pleAse stop reading articles -- go watch the re runs and get back to me

RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
USA
6/21/2018  2:59 PM
BigRedDog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Chandler wrote:
martin wrote:

C Mo Bamba/Kornet
PF KP
SF Troy/Hicks
SG Dotson
PG Frank

Of course you are banking that Bamba will be an all star player. No Frank in the deal. Contract only prohibits getting a FA for another year. So build through the draft but we are getting a far superior player this year that hopefully will change the course of this franchise for the next 10 years plus. No game changer at pick 9.

No Frank.. but I would be willing to give up my next #1 with some modest protection... maybe top 7 protection. That would equate to a pair of #9s and a good player for the #4 and a bad one. To me its an easy choice because Mo is franchise changing talent. That is an incredible chance to procure a cornerstone piece of what I am trying to build. Maybe I overvalue Mo... I dont think I do.
Chandler

6/21/2018  3:03 PM
fishmike wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Chandler wrote:
martin wrote:

C Mo Bamba/Kornet
PF KP
SF Troy/Hicks
SG Dotson
PG Frank

No Frank.. but I would be willing to give up my next #1 with some modest protection... maybe top 7 protection. That would equate to a pair of #9s and a good player for the #4 and a bad one. To me its an easy choice because Mo is franchise changing talent. That is an incredible chance to procure a cornerstone piece of what I am trying to build. Maybe I overvalue Mo... I dont think I do.

I definitely wouldn't go as high as including another first (and probably not even 36). Parson's contract is nasty and there's real value in taking that on.

(5)(5)
fishmike
USA
6/21/2018  3:06 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
fishmike wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/video/2018/02/28/marvin-bagley-iii-defense-needs-improvement

They played zone in game 1--they started using it more extensively as he season went on as their man to man was porous( mostly on the perimeter)--pleAse stop reading articles -- go watch the re runs and get back to me

I dont need to. Bagley is a wonderful prospect. A top tier prospect. Worthy of where he is projected to go. Does he have warts? Not many. What are they? Poor defense... but its been well established that is something you have no understanding of. Want video?
fishmike
USA
6/21/2018  3:16 PM
Chandler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Chandler wrote:
martin wrote:

C Mo Bamba/Kornet
PF KP
SF Troy/Hicks
SG Dotson
PG Frank

I definitely wouldn't go as high as including another first (and probably not even 36). Parson's contract is nasty and there's real value in taking that on.

nothing is more valuable than the chance to draft franchise building talent. You dont want to leave yourself bankrupt but that contract isnt hurting... in fact it helps as THJ's contract is a year longer and it sets us up with an additional $18mm in 2 years when Noah/Lee/Lance also expire
smackeddog
Member: #883
6/21/2018  3:19 PM
I have zero hope that we'll get Bamba, Either the bulls trade up for him, or the griz ends up having to take Carter and Bamba falls to the bulls anyways. He ain't getting past them either way!
fishmike
USA
6/21/2018  3:23 PM
smackeddog wrote:I have zero hope that we'll get Bamba, Either the bulls trade up for him, or the griz ends up having to take Carter and Bamba falls to the bulls anyways. He ain't getting past them either way!
My hope level is in 2-5% range. Likely we stay home, take Bridges or another guy they love in that range and go from there, which is fine.
Chandler

6/21/2018  4:20 PM
smackeddog wrote:I have zero hope that we'll get Bamba, Either the bulls trade up for him, or the griz ends up having to take Carter and Bamba falls to the bulls anyways. He ain't getting past them either way!

i say 50% chance. if the grizz want a draft pick as part of the package i see it as us and the bulls. Maybe also Charlotte. Everyone else the jump is too small or they're not interested in taking on an albatross contract. who would the bulls send to match salaries that the grizz would want?

(5)(5)
smackeddog
Member: #883
6/21/2018  4:39 PM
Chandler wrote:

i say 50% chance. if the grizz want a draft pick as part of the package i see it as us and the bulls. Maybe also Charlotte. Everyone else the jump is too small or they're not interested in taking on an albatross contract. who would the bulls send to match salaries that the grizz would want?

I think the bulls are under the cap so salaries don't have to match. Weirdly Woj now has the griz taking Jackson and the mavs taking Bamba, and says the first 6 are pretty much locked in.

Either way, kiss Bamba goodbye!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy