Member: #3285

6/19/2018  12:45 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:The question is, is defense really important in today’s NBA? overall team defense is always important. Steph Curry is 6’2 with short arms and by all means is not a defensive player. If your a lights out shooter in today’s NBA you have a great chance of impacting games in a positive way and becoming a superstar esp someone who can hit daggers at 40 feet with ease . add into the fact moving screens get called only 10% of the time in today’s NBA this kids going to get plenty of open looks.

Let’s not forget he also has the best court vision in the draft and makes his teammates better something Steph was not known to do coming out of college, also defense was a huge knock on curry coming out of college.

If you ask me there is no way this kid gets past Orlando I also heard he blew Atlanta out of the water with his private workout and has them considering taking him at 3.

You definitely don’t want to be the team that passes on Steph Curry 2.0 especially in the no hand checking era of today’s NBA.

Also it’s not like there won’t be another sf stud in next years draft. we are definitely lottery bound next year without KP. Steph Curry’s only come around every ten years.

Young, Burke, Mudiay
Frank, thjr, Dotson

Backcourt is set for 10 plus years.

Now you go it. You can fill in the team with hardcore defensive players. T Young is an offensive engine--we dont have that. In the NBA if you dont score 110 points--you are not winning a chip.

not really. Scoring is not the problem but you gotta stop the opposing team. Sexton is a better choice because he has a better overall game. But i think we need a forward more

Yea because GS doesn't have one of the best defensive players in the NBA. Klay Thompson guards 3 positions. Iggy one of the better defenders who can guard 3 positions (MVP for his work on Lebron for their first chip) Durant if he chose to be could easily be a lock down defender and he averages 1.8blks per game last season.

Team defense works because you have versatile defensive pieces that can guard multiple positions. You guys bring up one player in Steph and ignore all the good defensive players they have on that team. And its not like Steph is a turn style either.

Exactly. You need two way players to really contend.

Curry is not a two way player, but surrounded him with good two way players. Couldn’t we do the same for young?

KP and Frank is a good start

Sure if we were picking 8, 9, 10 we could surround him with frank, mikal, KP and wendell carter jr. even if we had 2 top 10 picks we'd be set
but we have too many holes in our roster for a luxury like trae young. is he going to turn into the next stephen curry...no one knows. he has one of the biggest boom or bust factors going on in this draft.

If Young becomes Curry 2.0 can we afford to miss out on all the chips he would be contending for?

I don’t think we need those picks thats not realistic. think about it this way we are bound for a top 5 pick this year with KP out

Trae
Frank
Top 5 pick in 2019
KP

And a ton of money to grab a top fa in 2019

AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
6/19/2018  12:54 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:The question is, is defense really important in today’s NBA? overall team defense is always important. Steph Curry is 6’2 with short arms and by all means is not a defensive player. If your a lights out shooter in today’s NBA you have a great chance of impacting games in a positive way and becoming a superstar esp someone who can hit daggers at 40 feet with ease . add into the fact moving screens get called only 10% of the time in today’s NBA this kids going to get plenty of open looks.

Let’s not forget he also has the best court vision in the draft and makes his teammates better something Steph was not known to do coming out of college, also defense was a huge knock on curry coming out of college.

If you ask me there is no way this kid gets past Orlando I also heard he blew Atlanta out of the water with his private workout and has them considering taking him at 3.

You definitely don’t want to be the team that passes on Steph Curry 2.0 especially in the no hand checking era of today’s NBA.

Also it’s not like there won’t be another sf stud in next years draft. we are definitely lottery bound next year without KP. Steph Curry’s only come around every ten years.

Young, Burke, Mudiay
Frank, thjr, Dotson

Now you go it. You can fill in the team with hardcore defensive players. T Young is an offensive engine--we dont have that. In the NBA if you dont score 110 points--you are not winning a chip.

not really. Scoring is not the problem but you gotta stop the opposing team. Sexton is a better choice because he has a better overall game. But i think we need a forward more

Yea because GS doesn't have one of the best defensive players in the NBA. Klay Thompson guards 3 positions. Iggy one of the better defenders who can guard 3 positions (MVP for his work on Lebron for their first chip) Durant if he chose to be could easily be a lock down defender and he averages 1.8blks per game last season.

Team defense works because you have versatile defensive pieces that can guard multiple positions. You guys bring up one player in Steph and ignore all the good defensive players they have on that team. And its not like Steph is a turn style either.

Curry is not a two way player, but surrounded him with good two way players. Couldn’t we do the same for young?

Curry is a generational talent himself. One of if not the best shooter the NBA has ever seen. Young will have to prove to be around that calibre. If he isnt then he becomes a liability. Curry came into the league dropping 46-43-88-% 17.5,4.5,5.9,1.9. Then dropped 48-44-93 his Soph. That is the type off efficiency compiled with volume that allows him to do whatever he wants. As that type of efficiency will raise a teams overall efficiency. Talking .595 TS% from a PG.

How many assist did curry avg, it wasn't close to the 8.5 Trae did, and he was passing the ball to below avg players. Like i want him more so because of his court vision then his shooting

ES
knicks1248
6/19/2018  1:02 PM
fitzfarm wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Young, Burke, Mudiay
Frank, thjr, Dotson

Sure if we were picking 8, 9, 10 we could surround him with frank, mikal, KP and wendell carter jr. even if we had 2 top 10 picks we'd be set
but we have too many holes in our roster for a luxury like trae young. is he going to turn into the next stephen curry...no one knows. he has one of the biggest boom or bust factors going on in this draft.

If Young becomes Curry 2.0 can we afford to miss out on all the chips he would be contending for?

I don’t think we need those picks thats not realistic. think about it this way we are bound for a top 5 pick this year with KP out

Trae
Frank
Top 5 pick in 2019
KP

And a ton of money to grab a top fa in 2019

that would mean were losing 55+ games this season, If fiz is as good as everyone says he is, 40 wins would be about right, with or without KP.

Last yrs roster gave up on JH and rambis after the noah sht happen in jan.

ES
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/19/2018  1:12 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Young, Burke, Mudiay
Frank, thjr, Dotson

Curry is a generational talent himself. One of if not the best shooter the NBA has ever seen. Young will have to prove to be around that calibre. If he isnt then he becomes a liability. Curry came into the league dropping 46-43-88-% 17.5,4.5,5.9,1.9. Then dropped 48-44-93 his Soph. That is the type off efficiency compiled with volume that allows him to do whatever he wants. As that type of efficiency will raise a teams overall efficiency. Talking .595 TS% from a PG.

I do want to make clear that Curry was that efficient due to his level of craft. And a case can be made that Young has a high enough level of craft that he can become very efficient. But at best its a 50-50 chance. I don't want to act like its a lock for him to be efficient. I don't want to automatically plug in best case scenario.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
6/19/2018  1:51 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Young, Burke, Mudiay
Frank, thjr, Dotson

How many assist did curry avg, it wasn't close to the 8.5 Trae did, and he was passing the ball to below avg players. Like i want him more so because of his court vision then his shooting

Young can pass. Just needs to cut down on some of those TOs. Young shooting %s and Tos weren't very good. His ability to draw fouls though basically carried his TS%. He held a 37% usage rate. And drew 8.7 fouls per game. So the question is. Is he a player that needs a usage rate that high in order to maximize his talent? And could he physically maintain these rates in the NBA at his size? If he has to lower his usage rate thus drawing less fouls and ast. How much would that effect his efficiency? He would ha e to shoot higher %s to balance that out.

knicks1248
6/19/2018  1:57 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Young, Burke, Mudiay
Frank, thjr, Dotson

Young can pass. Just needs to cut down on some of those TOs. Young shooting %s and Tos weren't very good. His ability to draw fouls though basically carried his TS%. He held a 37% usage rate. And drew 8.7 fouls per game. So the question is. Is he a player that needs a usage rate that high in order to maximize his talent? And could he physically maintain these rates in the NBA at his size? If he has to lower his usage rate thus drawing less fouls and ast. How much would that effect his efficiency? He would ha e to shoot higher %s to balance that out.

Lin avg almost 5 TO's under MDA and still had a hell'uve impact

ES
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

6/19/2018  2:03 PM
knickstorrents wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:The question is, is defense really important in today’s NBA? overall team defense is always important. Steph Curry is 6’2 with short arms and by all means is not a defensive player.

Problem is Trae Young is 6'0" and he looks like he'd get dominated by opposing guards. I'm afraid he won't even be able to get his shot off. This is on top of him being a huge defensive liability.

I'd prefer SGA or Kevin Huerter or even Collin Sexton over Trae. Collin does seem to be a black hole on offense though, so I don't really like him either but prefer him over Trae since he looks like a good defender.

Sexton needs the ball to be effective...and he's nothing special as a distributor. He is also about the same height as young, though his wingspan is bigger and he he is more powerfully built. More of a scorer than a shooter, who needs to be the center of attention on offense.

I'm not a Young fan at all, but I might take him over Sexton based on shooting and passing. I also don't recall Sexton being a great defender. Both players need to be alpha dog on offense, but at least young can distribute the ball. He has also put on some muscle, and I've read that in the past he's been a capable defender, though hardly a lock-down guy.

Have not seen enough of SGA in videos, but he is intriguing because he has size, a great wingspan, can play D, is said to be a guy who really improved himself over the season, and he and Frank could eventually play both guard positions and build a perimeter wall of defense that Trump would be jealous of.

Just read that he has hardly worked out for any teams...& might have gotten a promise, with speculation being the Clippers.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
newyorknewyork
6/19/2018  2:06 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Young, Burke, Mudiay
Frank, thjr, Dotson

Was Lin able to physically maintain his style of play?

knicks1248
6/19/2018  2:16 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Young, Burke, Mudiay
Frank, thjr, Dotson

Was Lin able to physically maintain his style of play?

The way MDA runs his players into the ground, who was able to maintain that kind of staminia

ES
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/19/2018  4:17 PM
knickstorrents wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:The question is, is defense really important in today’s NBA? overall team defense is always important. Steph Curry is 6’2 with short arms and by all means is not a defensive player.

Problem is Trae Young is 6'0" and he looks like he'd get dominated by opposing guards. I'm afraid he won't even be able to get his shot off. This is on top of him being a huge defensive liability.

I'd prefer SGA or Kevin Huerter or even Collin Sexton over Trae. Collin does seem to be a black hole on offense though, so I don't really like him either but prefer him over Trae since he looks like a good defender.

Trey Burkes is 5'11 and had didnt have any problems getting his shot off...

Uptown

6/19/2018  4:26 PM
Trae Young is the best scorer in this draft....If he is there at 9 (highly doubt he will be) you have to take him....Most teams do not have 5 all NBA Defensive players in their starting lineup nor does every team have 5 2-way players...There is usually 1-2 weak links that's why you teach and play team defense where everyone is moving on a string...With that said, if Trae is here, its up to the front office to add more 2-way players to the roster to play next to him...We are far from a playoff team, let alone championship contender. One piece at a time.

If Trae falls to 9, is there another player who will still be around that the opposing team would have to game plan for?

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/19/2018  4:54 PM
Uptown wrote:Trae Young is the best scorer in this draft....If he is there at 9 (highly doubt he will be) you have to take him....Most teams do not have 5 all NBA Defensive players in their starting lineup nor does every team have 5 2-way players...There is usually 1-2 weak links that's why you teach and play team defense where everyone is moving on a string...With that said, if Trae is here, its up to the front office to add more 2-way players to the roster to play next to him...We are far from a playoff team, let alone championship contender. One piece at a time.

If Trae falls to 9, is there another player who will still be around that the opposing team would have to game plan for?

Trae Young is just as good as passer as Lonzo Ball but he can shoot it--he will have no trouble adapting to the nba line because thats actually steps in for him. Trae Young can make other players better and hes quick like Tony Parker. He wont have 2-3 guys shading him in the NBA--go look at his highlights playing with Porter Aayton etc.. pre college in the big all star games. Im willing to invest pick 9 in Trae young without question.

RIP Crushalot😞
reub
Member: #6227

6/19/2018  5:17 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Uptown wrote:Trae Young is the best scorer in this draft....If he is there at 9 (highly doubt he will be) you have to take him....Most teams do not have 5 all NBA Defensive players in their starting lineup nor does every team have 5 2-way players...There is usually 1-2 weak links that's why you teach and play team defense where everyone is moving on a string...With that said, if Trae is here, its up to the front office to add more 2-way players to the roster to play next to him...We are far from a playoff team, let alone championship contender. One piece at a time.

Trae Young is just as good as passer as Lonzo Ball but he can shoot it--he will have no trouble adapting to the nba line because thats actually steps in for him. Trae Young can make other players better and hes quick like Tony Parker. He wont have 2-3 guys shading him in the NBA--go look at his highlights playing with Porter Aayton etc.. pre college in the big all star games. Im willing to invest pick 9 in Trae young without question.

I think we'd pass on Trae if he's there. Or take him and trade down.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/19/2018  5:25 PM
New mock has the knicks getting knox. Matches what Givony said on Lowe's pod.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
newyorknewyork
6/19/2018  6:22 PM
BRIGGS wrote:

Uptown/Briggs - The problem is that while we know that Young won't be a defensive stud and may need coverage there. There are still questions about his offensive game being able to translate at an efficiency level necessary to cover weaknesses. You have to look at worst case scenario. Which is he is inefficient offensively, a minus defensively, and doesn't have the build to stay durable. These are legit question marks. You guys are ready to just pencil him in as a offensive superstar. Is that really a forgone conclusion?

Or are you saying just the possibility that he can become an offensive stud overrides everything else?

Uptown

6/19/2018  6:35 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Uptown/Briggs - The problem is that while we know that Young won't be a defensive stud and may need coverage there. There are still questions about his offensive game being able to translate at an efficiency level necessary to cover weaknesses. You have to look at worst case scenario. Which is he is inefficient offensively, a minus defensively, and doesn't have the build to stay durable. These are legit question marks. You guys are ready to just pencil him in as a offensive superstar. Is that really a forgone conclusion?

Or are you saying just the possibility that he can become an offensive stud overrides everything else?

I get all of the negatives...and that's why he falls out of the top 3...But at 9, IMO, he would be a good valued pick...Also, I saw a good number of his games and some of his inefficient numbers are a bit misleading.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/19/2018  6:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/19/2018  6:49 PM
Uptown wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

I get all of the negatives...and that's why he falls out of the top 3...But at 9, IMO, he would be a good valued pick...Also, I saw a good number of his games and some of his inefficient numbers are a bit misleading.

Not concerned about his efficiency when Young's coach gave him the green light to carry the offense. Had too much on his plate to be asked to do it efficiently. Was bound to be some ugly moments, and its reflected in those numbers.

Not a good enough reason IMO to pass on him. Unless. you're convinced Trae will never get better at defense, or protecting the rock. Not in that camp.

Uptown

6/19/2018  7:30 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Uptown wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Not concerned about his efficiency when Young's coach gave him the green light to carry the offense. Had too much on his plate to be asked to do it efficiently. Was bound to be some ugly moments, and its reflected in those numbers.

Not a good enough reason IMO to pass on him. Unless. you're convinced Trae will never get better at defense, or protecting the rock. Not in that camp.

Agreed....I mentioned in another thread that the Kruger has to take some of the blame for Trae Youngs struggles...Cant pass on this type of talent if he is there at 9...

newyorknewyork
6/19/2018  8:17 PM
Uptown wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Uptown wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Agreed....I mentioned in another thread that the Kruger has to take some of the blame for Trae Youngs struggles...Cant pass on this type of talent if he is there at 9...

I don't think you can draft Young believing he will ever a plus on defense. If he is it would be a pleasant surprise, but I wouldn't draft him banking on that. If I were to draft him it would be banking on him being an offensive dynamo that can shoot like Curry and pass like Nash. Or at least somewhere around their skill levels.

When I see his 37% usage and the 19 shots per game. 2 trains of thought run through my head. #1 that he was overworked and that may have lead to the drop in efficiency as Gusta has stated. #2 Is it necessary for him to have that level of usage and volume in order to maximize him in the first place?

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

6/19/2018  9:05 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Uptown wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Uptown wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

I don't think you can draft Young believing he will ever a plus on defense. If he is it would be a pleasant surprise, but I wouldn't draft him banking on that. If I were to draft him it would be banking on him being an offensive dynamo that can shoot like Curry and pass like Nash. Or at least somewhere around their skill levels.

When I see his 37% usage and the 19 shots per game. 2 trains of thought run through my head. #1 that he was overworked and that may have lead to the drop in efficiency as Gusta has stated. #2 Is it necessary for him to have that level of usage and volume in order to maximize him in the first place?

agreed. Very difficult to make a purely offensive player capable on the defensive end. Thats why i like sexton better.
Last espn mock has us getting T Young

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy