[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Quiet draft prospect who stayed in draft(must have top 20 promise) looks like Klay Thompson--Kevin Huerter
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Posts: 50392
Alba Posts: 8
Joined: 7/30/2002
Member: #303
6/6/2018  1:48 PM
AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Posts: 26032
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

6/6/2018  2:55 PM
BRIGGS wrote:

He looked real good in the combines, according to observers. Might have been the best prospect in the scrimmages. He may have a promise, but he didnt need one.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
WaltLongmire
Posts: 27587
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 6/28/2014
Member: #5843

6/6/2018  3:28 PM
Just read about him somewhere else...might have seen a clip of him shooting 3s somewhere, too...not sure.

I liked his D footwork in the video. Interesting that his wingspan is not special, but he looked good blocking shots.

Smooth player. Have to say that except for the his hops, he reminded me a bit of M. Porter on offense...both of them are more smooth than explosive.

If he gets stronger, can be play any time at the 3?

He seems to have infinite range on his J.

Trade back player...or would he NOT be a reach at 9? Are we even working him out?

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
SupremeCommander
Posts: 32238
Alba Posts: 35
Joined: 4/28/2006
Member: #1127

6/6/2018  4:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/6/2018  4:14 PM
UMD is in my backyard...

they were talking about him on the local news radio (not sports radio) the other day. They seemed to think that he should stay in school but that he would get drafted. That said, Maryland was a colossal disappointment this year...

GustavBahler said: Check please....
BigDaddyG
Posts: 26032
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

6/6/2018  4:23 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:UMD is in my backyard...

they were talking about him on the local news radio (not sports radio) the other day. They seemed to think that he should stay in school but that he would get drafted. That said, Maryland was a colossal disappointment this year...


The Justin Jackson injury didn't help, but they were a bit of a cluster.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
newyorker4ever
Posts: 26413
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 5/19/2014
Member: #5816

6/6/2018  4:29 PM
BRIGGS wrote:


So what about him? IT's not like he's some sleeper or something since he's been a projected mid 1st round pick for quite a while now. I'd love to get him but not at #9. Maybe if we could get that Denver pick at #14 then i'd easily take him there. I don't think he makes it out of the mid 1st round.

blkexec
Posts: 24625
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 9/3/2004
Member: #748
6/6/2018  4:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/6/2018  4:45 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:Just read about him somewhere else...might have seen a clip of him shooting 3s somewhere, too...not sure.

I liked his D footwork in the video. Interesting that his wingspan is not special, but he looked good blocking shots.

Smooth player. Have to say that except for the his hops, he reminded me a bit of M. Porter on offense...both of them are more smooth than explosive.

If he gets stronger, can be play any time at the 3?

He seems to have infinite range on his J.

Trade back player...or would he NOT be a reach at 9? Are we even working him out?

If Donavan Mitchell was selected in the top 10, everybody would've said what are you doing. Until they saw him play. My point is there isn't a thing called reach anymore, if we don't know the knicks ranking. Looks like they are doing the right thing so far....Leaving no stone unturned. They want to make sure another
Donavan Mitchell type doesn't slip through their hands again.

Q: What is the difference between a Knicks fan and a baby? A: The baby will stop whining after awhile.
BigDaddyG
Posts: 26032
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

6/6/2018  5:10 PM
blkexec wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:Just read about him somewhere else...might have seen a clip of him shooting 3s somewhere, too...not sure.

I liked his D footwork in the video. Interesting that his wingspan is not special, but he looked good blocking shots.

Smooth player. Have to say that except for the his hops, he reminded me a bit of M. Porter on offense...both of them are more smooth than explosive.

If he gets stronger, can be play any time at the 3?

He seems to have infinite range on his J.

Trade back player...or would he NOT be a reach at 9? Are we even working him out?

If Donavan Mitchell was selected in the top 10, everybody would've said what are you doing. Until they saw him play. My point is there isn't a thing called reach anymore, if we don't know the knicks ranking. Looks like they are doing the right thing so far....Leaving no stone unturned. They want to make sure another
Donavan Mitchell type doesn't slip through their hands again.


Agree. Unless you have picks 1-3, you just want to get a guy who can start or be a rotation guy at the very least. I'm sure the Knicks are aware of all these guys. The hard part is determine how they fit.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
Posts: 57095
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
6/6/2018  5:58 PM
They talked about him in an article on The Stepien a few weeks ago. The article was on wing players in this years draft. I think the author might have rated him higher than Mikal but I might be wrong.
You playTrey Burke... Wally Szcerbiak
CrushAlot
Posts: 57095
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
6/6/2018  6:14 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/6/2018  6:15 PM
From The STepien article:
Evaluating players within this heuristic, we can see why a player like Kevin Huerter may be undervalued. His shooting ability is always going to dominate discussions about him as a prospect, but when looking closer it becomes clear that he is one of the best off-dribble creators and passers among wings in this class with some legitimate ability to defend multiple positions. Add in his projectability as a dynamic shooter (aside from a relatively mediocre free throw percentage), and Huerter looks like the total package as an impactful NBA wing. There is a definite case to be made that Huerter is a better prospect than Mikal Bridges, and I think that my next big board will reflect that.
https://www.thestepien.com/2018/05/19/ball-handling-passing-defensive-versatility-wings-2018-draft/
You playTrey Burke... Wally Szcerbiak
ankurk
Posts: 20046
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 6/23/2015
Member: #6075

6/6/2018  7:08 PM
BRIGGS wrote:

If we draft Trae Young and then acquire a second pick for this guy does that mean we will have Splash Brothers too?

Jmpasq
Posts: 23498
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 4/10/2012
Member: #4182

6/6/2018  7:11 PM
blkexec wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:Just read about him somewhere else...might have seen a clip of him shooting 3s somewhere, too...not sure.

I liked his D footwork in the video. Interesting that his wingspan is not special, but he looked good blocking shots.

Smooth player. Have to say that except for the his hops, he reminded me a bit of M. Porter on offense...both of them are more smooth than explosive.

If he gets stronger, can be play any time at the 3?

He seems to have infinite range on his J.

Trade back player...or would he NOT be a reach at 9? Are we even working him out?

If Donavan Mitchell was selected in the top 10, everybody would've said what are you doing. Until they saw him play. My point is there isn't a thing called reach anymore, if we don't know the knicks ranking. Looks like they are doing the right thing so far....Leaving no stone unturned. They want to make sure another
Donavan Mitchell type doesn't slip through their hands again.

I don't think thats true at all I saw Frank, Mitchell, Smith, and Monk graded around the same. I don't think anyone would of made a peep had the Knicks selected Mitchell

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
WaltLongmire
Posts: 27587
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 6/28/2014
Member: #5843

6/6/2018  10:53 PM
CrushAlot wrote:From The STepien article:
Evaluating players within this heuristic, we can see why a player like Kevin Huerter may be undervalued. His shooting ability is always going to dominate discussions about him as a prospect, but when looking closer it becomes clear that he is one of the best off-dribble creators and passers among wings in this class with some legitimate ability to defend multiple positions. Add in his projectability as a dynamic shooter (aside from a relatively mediocre free throw percentage), and Huerter looks like the total package as an impactful NBA wing. There is a definite case to be made that Huerter is a better prospect than Mikal Bridges, and I think that my next big board will reflect that.
https://www.thestepien.com/2018/05/19/ball-handling-passing-defensive-versatility-wings-2018-draft/

Wow...pretty good writeup.
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
knickstorrents
Posts: 21045
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/23/2010
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
6/7/2018  12:50 AM
I like this guy. More than Trae Young
Rose is not the answer.
dgKnicks
Posts: 20016
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/5/2010
Member: #3164

6/7/2018  11:26 AM
Maryland alum here. Huerter is by far my favorite Terps players since Grievis Vasquez. The struggles of the team last year have absolutely nothing to do with Kevin. Our coach is awful and did not run enough plays looking to get him shots. He is very unselfish even to a fault. Kevin is a great shooter, very high iq on both sides of the court, great passing vision, and really added driving ability to his game as a sophomore.

I have made the comparison to Klay also in terms of size, shooting ability, and type of player I think He can become. I will admit that I was surprised he scored so highly in the combine athletic testing. I knew he would do decently and surprise people given his appearance, but still surprised he was near the top in a number of categories.

I’m still not over the fact he won’t suit up for Maryland as a junior, but would be excited if Knicks took him. If not whoever does take him will be my new second favorite team.

GustavBahler
Posts: 34726
Alba Posts: 15
Joined: 7/12/2010
Member: #3186

6/7/2018  11:44 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/7/2018  11:46 AM
Dont believe Perry/Mills would be so hot and heavy to get Young to visit for a workout to misdirect from Huerter. If Young is a head fake. Unless they planned on trading down a few spots.
BigDaddyG
Posts: 26032
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

6/7/2018  11:56 AM
dgKnicks wrote:Maryland alum here. Huerter is by far my favorite Terps players since Grievis Vasquez. The struggles of the team last year have absolutely nothing to do with Kevin. Our coach is awful and did not run enough plays looking to get him shots. He is very unselfish even to a fault. Kevin is a great shooter, very high iq on both sides of the court, great passing vision, and really added driving ability to his game as a sophomore.

I have made the comparison to Klay also in terms of size, shooting ability, and type of player I think He can become. I will admit that I was surprised he scored so highly in the combine athletic testing. I knew he would do decently and surprise people given his appearance, but still surprised he was near the top in a number of categories.

I’m still not over the fact he won’t suit up for Maryland as a junior, but would be excited if Knicks took him. If not whoever does take him will be my new second favorite team.

I hate Maryland. Can't wipe that ACC stench of them lol just kidding. But seriously, what do you think of Justin Jackson in the second round. I'm more interested in his measurements than his game right now. Do you think he's worth a gamble at 36 or is rookie free agency the best bet.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
knickstorrents
Posts: 21045
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/23/2010
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
6/7/2018  12:54 PM
Yea I'd be real happy if we got him and either Bridges. Long, tough guys with IQ and who can defend. Huerter looks like a decent penetrator too, decent footwork and can finish.
Rose is not the answer.
BRIGGS
Posts: 50392
Alba Posts: 8
Joined: 7/30/2002
Member: #303
6/7/2018  1:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/7/2018  1:18 PM
Mikal Bridges is a better defender and a true NBA finisher but I like the way this kid sets himself up for a J. He also makes plays with the dribble pass shoot etc. with good size. His game looks more fluid than Mikal but it would be hard to pass on Mikal

How many guys do you see in the draft who shoot like this?

WaltLongmire
Posts: 27587
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 6/28/2014
Member: #5843

6/7/2018  1:43 PM
Interesting...could he have grown 1"+ over the last year? Could he play the 3 at some point?

I hate the fact that measurements are so uneven at times


2015- 6'6" w/o shoes, with 6'6" wingspan

2017- 6'5" w/o shoes, with 6'7.5" wingspan

2018- 6'6.25 w/o shoes, wotj 6'7.5" wingspan

Notes: He was one of the biggest surprises at the NBA Combine in May and now looks like he could be a possible first-round selection .... Measured 6'6.25 barefoot, 6'7.25 in shoes, 194 lbs, 6'7.5 wingspan, 8'5.5 standing reach, 8.6% body fat, and a 8.25 inch hand length at the 2018 NBA Draft Combine ... Pronounced "Hurter" ... Son of Tom and Erin Huerter...Has one brother, Thomas, Jr., and two sisters - Meghan and Jillian… 2017-18 All-Big Ten Honorable Mention…2017-18 Big Ten All-Academic ... Measured 6’6’’ in shoes, with a 6’6’’ wingspan and 169 lbs at the 2015 Nike Basketball Academy ... Measured 6'5 without shoes, 6'6 with shoes, 197 lbs, with a 6'7.75 wingspan and 8'5.5 standing reach at the June 2017 USA U19 tryouts
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Quiet draft prospect who stayed in draft(must have top 20 promise) looks like Klay Thompson--Kevin Huerter

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.