[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Baker will stay and collect his 5 mill
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
5/31/2018  2:22 PM
and may not see a meaningful minute this season..

This was the expected outcome for Baker, who only appeared in 29 games last season. He had season-ending shoulder surgery in February.

The Knicks signed Baker to a two-year, $8.9-million contract last summer. The undrafted guard out of Wichita State has averaged 3.5 points and 1.9 assists in 81 games in his two NBA seasons. But the Knicks like Baker’s toughness and defensive intensity.

Two other Knicks have decisions to make on player options. Enes Kanter has an $18.6-million player option for next season, and Kyle O’Quinn a $4.2-million option. Both players have said they want to remain with the Knicks.

At least KOQ, and Kanter have expiring contracts that can be traded

ES
AUTOADVERT
GoNyGoNyGo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #411
USA
5/31/2018  3:37 PM
any contract can be traded at some point. Baker in the right situation can be useful. In an era where guys make a ton of money he sure makes it easier to match up salaries for cap purposes.
dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

5/31/2018  4:33 PM
Wouldn't you lol??
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
5/31/2018  5:33 PM
Baker has a reasonable contract to trade and now that he has his money he will not block a trade that could lead to him having a shot to play. This is the least of our problems IMO. At worst he's a great practice player and role player off the bench when needed.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

5/31/2018  5:42 PM
knicks1248 wrote:and may not see a meaningful minute this season..

This was the expected outcome for Baker, who only appeared in 29 games last season. He had season-ending shoulder surgery in February.

The Knicks signed Baker to a two-year, $8.9-million contract last summer. The undrafted guard out of Wichita State has averaged 3.5 points and 1.9 assists in 81 games in his two NBA seasons. But the Knicks like Baker’s toughness and defensive intensity.

Two other Knicks have decisions to make on player options. Enes Kanter has an $18.6-million player option for next season, and Kyle O’Quinn a $4.2-million option. Both players have said they want to remain with the Knicks.

At least KOQ, and Kanter have expiring contracts that can be traded

not a big deal. Not like its a longterm contract and the knicks are rebuilding anyway
nykshaknbake
Member: #492
5/31/2018  8:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/31/2018  8:27 PM
No way! How lucky are we. Judging by some, you would have thought he could get 10 on the market. Doesn't change much but a symbol along Noah and THJ of the kind of bad contracts we continue to be famous for.
MS
Member: #724
5/31/2018  11:42 PM
Best agent in the business.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/31/2018  11:53 PM
Will probably be trade filler by the end of next season.
knicks1248
6/1/2018  8:31 AM
MS wrote:Best agent in the business.

Without a doubt.

Former Wichita State star Ron Baker is represented by Creative Artists Agency, which is an absolute behemoth in the world of athletic and artistic talent.

CAA’s work with Baker this summer shows, in the view of the NBA intelligensia, how smart and powerful CAA’s reach is within the league. Baker signed a two-year deal with the Knicks for $8.9 million. It appears he got a great deal, one the Knicks are taking criticism for offering and one he should be thrilled with.

ESPN’s Zach Lowe, one of the NBA’s most influential media voices, discusses the Baker contract in some depth in a podcast that breaks down the many failures of the Knicks in recent seasons. It’s not so much a criticism of Baker as it is another example of Knicks dysfunction.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
The discussion about Baker’s contract begins around the 24-minute mark, where Lowe calls it probably the “most inexplicable contract” in the NBA. The panel (which also includes Howard Beck of Bleacher Report and Ian Begley of ESPN) credits his agent with creating demand for Baker that the Knicks apparently feared.

So mills negotiates out of fear on both THJ and Bakers contract, the only time you do that is if you or your love ones life is one the line...lol

Aren't you looking forward to this off season when they take the 8.6 million MLE and sign some G league player..

shall we pray

ES
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/1/2018  8:55 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
MS wrote:Best agent in the business.

Without a doubt.

Former Wichita State star Ron Baker is represented by Creative Artists Agency, which is an absolute behemoth in the world of athletic and artistic talent.

CAA’s work with Baker this summer shows, in the view of the NBA intelligensia, how smart and powerful CAA’s reach is within the league. Baker signed a two-year deal with the Knicks for $8.9 million. It appears he got a great deal, one the Knicks are taking criticism for offering and one he should be thrilled with.

ESPN’s Zach Lowe, one of the NBA’s most influential media voices, discusses the Baker contract in some depth in a podcast that breaks down the many failures of the Knicks in recent seasons. It’s not so much a criticism of Baker as it is another example of Knicks dysfunction.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
The discussion about Baker’s contract begins around the 24-minute mark, where Lowe calls it probably the “most inexplicable contract” in the NBA. The panel (which also includes Howard Beck of Bleacher Report and Ian Begley of ESPN) credits his agent with creating demand for Baker that the Knicks apparently feared.

So mills negotiates out of fear on both THJ and Bakers contract, the only time you do that is if you or your love ones life is one the line...lol

Aren't you looking forward to this off season when they take the 8.6 million MLE and sign some G league player..

shall we pray

The jury is still out on Hardaway, after one season. That and the Baker deal was pre-Perry. Perry was cautious with the Melo trade, not taking on long term deadweight, unlike his predecessor. Dont know what moves Perry will make, but Im guessing he isnt anxious to hand out any more deals like Baker got.

Was a fan of Baker until he came back with zero offense...again.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/1/2018  9:08 AM
Good. I hope he's healthy and gets his shot working. We could use him playing well.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
knicks1248
6/1/2018  10:37 AM
fishmike wrote:Good. I hope he's healthy and gets his shot working. We could use him playing well.

thats like hoping JR smith can focus and take more than 2 good shots per game

ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/1/2018  11:14 AM
Timmy had an uneven season and now labled a "bad contract". I get it.
Timmy scored 48 pts in a game. We forget cuz he is "streaky". I prefer "His first season as a 1 or 2 option was marred in inconsistency as he had to grow into a new role on a new team with a new to him coach, a third year player who himself was promoted to 1st option, then had injuries and became the 1 option". That's what I saw. I don't think about Mills when THjr is playing.

Baker had a very good rookie season. My take is he bulked up and got hurt which combined to slow him down. Season was a wash.
Because of this we assume Mills/Perry will forever do bad deals as if the ghost of Isiah will control the checkbook.
so little consideration that anything can change forging stereotypes and self loathing.
Personally I hope Ron Baker is a freaking Allstar and leads us to the playoffs!!!! Im not delusional about this but it was fun watching him his rookie season and get his dream.
Because he was undrafted he got a nice contract, wrote a kids book and had a miserable season.

Some of you look at Baker and feel "another knick mistake just like many years of similar". Nalod sees Baker as a good decision that has not panned out. Timmy is an average SG and paid accordingly. For many reasons he has upside and still might outplay the contract.
OK, some of you think IM "Nixluving" so lets discuss "good decision vs. vs. bad decision":
1. Signing chronically injured players is bad. Amare and Noah were clinically on the decline.
2. Melo deal good and bad. We paid full retail for a player who lived up to his ceiling. That in itself might have made it a bad decision. He played, Scored a lot of points, but we did not get much better. We didn't win.
3. Dice trade. Good decision with bad outcome. His good knee blew out on us. Kid was playing like a monster!!!!
4. Marbury. Bad trade thru and tru. We also gave away a pick that became Jamal Murray. Funny, we get denvers Sloppy seconds in Mudiay.
5. Bargnani. Bad trade and the pick Toronto used (Jake Poltl) is so so. Two 2nd round picks too. Thon Maker and Sabonis were taken right after Poltl. Bad decision, bad outcome!!
6. Derek Fisher. Steve Kerr made a good decision to stay west and might have gotten enshrined because of it. Fisher was a "Brad Stevens" type choice that he could have grown into.
Solid family guy, good dad, great leadership qualities and he'd run the Triangle. Good decision bad outcome. He left his wife, chased tail, became tabloid fodder and defied the chief.
7. Bad decision, good outcome: Traded widely popular Oakley for Camby.
8. Bad decision, good outcome: Traded the popluar John Starks for coach choker badboy Latrell Sprewell.
9. Bad decision, good occurance, Bad outcome: Jeff Van gundy was Ewings guy and when that train left town Grunfeld wanted to speed the team up which was not to JVG's thing. He was on the hot seat in 1999 and barely made the playoffs. Because of this it was expected he'd be replaced and Grunfeld would get to evolve the team. Instead JVG coached knicks to improbable finals which triggered a two year extension at 2mm per year. Because the divide between Grunwald and JVG was too wide and Coach's contract to big.
10. Phil. Good decision, bad outcome. Starphuch on paper that never added up. At least dolan backed away.
11. Nalod writing this. Good decision, bad outcome. Its beyond some of you to recognize beyone "a bad outcome makes for a bad decision". I will die trying to pull some of you to the moment a decision is made. It always has its risks. Dice was injured before but his leg was cleared and as said, he hurt the "good leg". Phil was seduced and was no universally liked. I contend it was a bold move by knicks and it was Dolan's money that seduced Phil.

fishmike
USA
6/1/2018  11:18 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:Good. I hope he's healthy and gets his shot working. We could use him playing well.

or like hoping you will say something that makes sense.

I am not a Ron Baker fan.... but he's 25 and plays as hard as anyone I have ever seen. Nothing wrong with having a guy like that for one year and $5mm. It can only help and cant hurt.

knicks1248
6/1/2018  11:59 AM
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

I am not a Ron Baker fan.... but he's 25 and plays as hard as anyone I have ever seen. Nothing wrong with having a guy like that for one year and $5mm. It can only help and cant hurt.

There's nothing good about playing hard and not smart, it's almost pointless. I would take a smart player over a hustle player any day off the wk

It's like a player hustling to get a loose ball that's going out of bounds only to dive, throw it back in to the opposing team who then scores an easy 2.

ES
fishmike
USA
6/1/2018  12:22 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

There's nothing good about playing hard and not smart, it's almost pointless. I would take a smart player over a hustle player any day off the wk

It's like a player hustling to get a loose ball that's going out of bounds only to dive, throw it back in to the opposing team who then scores an easy 2.

Jarred Jacks is super smart. So you want him back running the show?
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
6/1/2018  12:22 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Unless I'm still slightly stoned after reading Nalod's post from above, didn't we have stretches in games (okay maybe a few minutes here and there) where Frankie and Baker played incredibly well together, expecially defensively? I think Baker's got the IQ, and more importantly he hustles intelligently on D, he just doesn't have a shot, litterally or figuratively. He's a very poor man's John Crotty, with a bit more bulk. Come to think of it, Crotty had a better shot, it was just way too easy to block.

fishmike
USA
6/1/2018  1:12 PM
jrodmc wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Unless I'm still slightly stoned after reading Nalod's post from above, didn't we have stretches in games (okay maybe a few minutes here and there) where Frankie and Baker played incredibly well together, expecially defensively? I think Baker's got the IQ, and more importantly he hustles intelligently on D, he just doesn't have a shot, litterally or figuratively. He's a very poor man's John Crotty, with a bit more bulk. Come to think of it, Crotty had a better shot, it was just way too easy to block.

Baker is skilled. If he hit the 3 like he did in school he would be a useful NBA player. At the very worst he's a full throttle player who defends and shares the ball. He will push guys in practice and give the coach a guy who can have an impact in short spurts. Its one year and $5mm and he knows the team. Baker's presence will help fuel the internal competition. Baker can only help.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

6/1/2018  2:04 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

I know you have never liked Baker from day 1 but its only 1 year and its not like the knicks are going to the playoffs anyway next year. I do like scrappy player who hustle and do have some skill so having Baker here isnt a bad thing.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/1/2018  2:20 PM

Obviously his value is determined not by our words but his on court deeds!
Baker will stay and collect his 5 mill

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy