[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

what does a knicks championship team look like?
Author Thread
rpknicks
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6003

5/27/2018  9:43 PM
It seems like a lot of the league is buying into the small ball blueprint that GS laid down a few years back. It might pay off for houston but what about the other 30 teams? My question is this the right way for us? Do we really think we can get 4 to 5 multi-skilled players on the court in the next few years? Even with a healthy KP, i am not sure he fits in to that type of vision for a team.

Teams like San antonio and even memphis had the occasional success against the space and pace teams when they were able to control the pace with defense, size and efficient scoring. Anyone who tries to run and shoot with those teams gets waxed. Anthony davis, kevin durant ( before he joined them), westbrook, lebron james, melo...all victims, so it is more than talent mr perry. You really need a strategy and a roster and a style of play that is something other than copying Golden state's playbook.

We're closer to the start of this rebuild than the end of it but we still have to consider the endgame carefully, rather than just acquiring more talent...which is a given. We have KP and now Frank and likely two high draft picks in the next 2 years. If we add a guy like Mikal bridges, it feels like we're prioritizing defense and team basketball --and that makes sense to me. Develop them all into better play makers and scorers, but as long as they all have that core defense, the team has a chance.

AUTOADVERT
fwk00
Member: #6048

5/27/2018  10:58 PM
Good topic.
I don't think there's a blueprint worth repeating in terms of player compositions.
Phil had it right in looking for high BBIQ, system-friendly players, and most importantly - chemistry.
Then you need to create a consistent system that complements the players.
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
5/27/2018  11:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/27/2018  11:46 PM
Intelligence+Integrity+Effort+Talent=Success
This are the qualities we need in players we have to draft/trade/develop.
Not an easy task to find this material in today NBA.
Are this players even exist?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/28/2018  12:07 AM
fwk00 wrote:Good topic.
I don't think there's a blueprint worth repeating in terms of player compositions.
Phil had it right in looking for high BBIQ, system-friendly players, and most importantly - chemistry.
Then you need to create a consistent system that complements the players.
Phil looked a lot for players. Knicks were at the bottom of the league for roster continuity during his tenure. Also, while he never did extensive coaching searches, he did give a lot of guys a chance to coach the Knicks during his three year tenure.
In regards to the thread topic, I think Fiz was a great hire. Winning organizations have a vision for what they want that is shared between the front office and the head coach. That is a great start. The Knicks have all of their first round draft picks and a young roster. The Knicks aren't trying to win the press conference with their front office hire, coaching hire, free agent signings or draft picks. That hasn't been the case during Dolan's tenure as owner. I think they are on the right track. Keep taking baby steps. Get this draft right, add another good player in the 2019, clean up the salary cap position and hope to be in the second round by 2020.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
5/28/2018  6:48 AM
I want the Knicks to have the smartest players on the court, the toughest defenders, who take the best shots available on offense. I want my team to communicate on defense and to play with grit and toughness. I also think Fizdale was a great hire. No shortcuts, we do things the right way and that includes building the roster. No starphucks, we will need to develop our own talent. There's no free lunch in this world, and hopefully by now we realize that.
Rose is not the answer.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/28/2018  9:14 AM
One that breaks the mold. GS did it with guard centric, small ball, and defense. Knicks have to change the game with KP. Thats where the NBA is headed, more mobile, versatile bigs entering the league.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
5/28/2018  10:00 AM
The biggest trick to winning in today’s NBA is to have willing passers and willing defenders. If you can get 5 guys on the floor that continually look for one another on offense it just becomes unstoppable. Just knowing that your teammates are always looking to make the pass keeps a perpetual motion on offense. When you have perpetual motion a lot of open looks get created. It also helps to have shot makers with this pass first mentality and defensive mentality.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
5/28/2018  11:53 AM
Knicks are in a good situation with KP because he's a 7'3 small ball center. That's the best of both worlds. We need to build a defensive identity with 5 versatile players who play inside and out. Kp and frank are a good start to that.
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

5/28/2018  4:25 PM
rpknicks wrote:It seems like a lot of the league is buying into the small ball blueprint that GS laid down a few years back. It might pay off for houston but what about the other 30 teams? My question is this the right way for us? Do we really think we can get 4 to 5 multi-skilled players on the court in the next few years? Even with a healthy KP, i am not sure he fits in to that type of vision for a team.

Teams like San antonio and even memphis had the occasional success against the space and pace teams when they were able to control the pace with defense, size and efficient scoring. Anyone who tries to run and shoot with those teams gets waxed. Anthony davis, kevin durant ( before he joined them), westbrook, lebron james, melo...all victims, so it is more than talent mr perry. You really need a strategy and a roster and a style of play that is something other than copying Golden state's playbook.

We're closer to the start of this rebuild than the end of it but we still have to consider the endgame carefully, rather than just acquiring more talent...which is a given. We have KP and now Frank and likely two high draft picks in the next 2 years. If we add a guy like Mikal bridges, it feels like we're prioritizing defense and team basketball --and that makes sense to me. Develop them all into better play makers and scorers, but as long as they all have that core defense, the team has a chance.

A lot of its luck, there are basically 3 or 4 teams that can actually win a title. We missed our chance in building a winner when we didn't take Mitchell

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
rpknicks
Member: #6003

5/28/2018  9:03 PM
Luck is a big part of it but of the factors we can control, I'd like to see us work on these:

Culture: I think most of us probably had roots in the older knicks teams that were gritty and played with heart. Despite never winning a title, we still admire those teams because they gave it everything , particularly on D and they won and lost as a team. I would say for me that is still the resilient culture we want to instill , organization-wide, during this rebuild and Perry and Fizdale seem to be good building blocks here and our core players seem to have this qualities in them. During this lead up to the draft, even as they dissect length and up-side, I hope they will pay considerable attention to the make up of the prospects they are considering. Even if 10 years from now, if this rebuild ends up the same way, it would still be worth it for me if we get teams like that again.

Adaptive/versatile: I agree that there is no single blueprint. You need a vision with multiple strategies and have the ability and guts to change when you need to. That also goes all the way back to the draft and scouting and right up the court where we have to make real-time decisions and need to be able to play iso, small ball, big ball whatever the situation may be. This new regime has not really been tested in this area and that honeymoon is about to end. I'd like to see them approach the draft with open minds and not worry about mock drafts , whether its a need pick or bpa , the media and even us fans. They are paid to make tough decisions. If Fiz gets to work and eventually concludes that he can't get Mudiay "right" or that frank can't play PG, then it's on to the next guy or the next play, no excuses, no hard feelings, no second guessing.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
5/28/2018  9:56 PM
Talent, athletes and shooting percentage from 3.

Obviously talent needs to be upgraded across the board.

We need athletes that can impact the game on both sides of the ball.

And you need guys that can knock down 3s at a high percentage.

Look at the teams that end up in the finals. Usually the teams in the finals have one of the best players in the league. For 10 games, KP looked like he could be that special.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

5/28/2018  9:57 PM
rpknicks wrote:Luck is a big part of it but of the factors we can control, I'd like to see us work on these:

Culture: I think most of us probably had roots in the older knicks teams that were gritty and played with heart. Despite never winning a title, we still admire those teams because they gave it everything , particularly on D and they won and lost as a team. I would say for me that is still the resilient culture we want to instill , organization-wide, during this rebuild and Perry and Fizdale seem to be good building blocks here and our core players seem to have this qualities in them. During this lead up to the draft, even as they dissect length and up-side, I hope they will pay considerable attention to the make up of the prospects they are considering. Even if 10 years from now, if this rebuild ends up the same way, it would still be worth it for me if we get teams like that again.

Adaptive/versatile: I agree that there is no single blueprint. You need a vision with multiple strategies and have the ability and guts to change when you need to. That also goes all the way back to the draft and scouting and right up the court where we have to make real-time decisions and need to be able to play iso, small ball, big ball whatever the situation may be. This new regime has not really been tested in this area and that honeymoon is about to end. I'd like to see them approach the draft with open minds and not worry about mock drafts , whether its a need pick or bpa , the media and even us fans. They are paid to make tough decisions. If Fiz gets to work and eventually concludes that he can't get Mudiay "right" or that frank can't play PG, then it's on to the next guy or the next play, no excuses, no hard feelings, no second guessing.

Basically i would go the Jazz route and build a strong defensive team and just hope eventually we get the right pieces together.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
5/31/2018  3:09 PM
3 genuine stars that all manage to stay on the court. All season. See Karl Anthony Towns.
1 defensive monster to play alongside and compliment KP.
A bench with at least one to three impact players who can consistently provide offense to answer every game's 3rd quarter run by the opposing team.

Everyone, from 1-12 plays stellar D.

Imagine D-Fense chants at the Garden again...

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

5/31/2018  3:32 PM
jrodmc wrote:3 genuine stars that all manage to stay on the court. All season. See Karl Anthony Towns.
1 defensive monster to play alongside and compliment KP.
A bench with at least one to three impact players who can consistently provide offense to answer every game's 3rd quarter run by the opposing team.

Everyone, from 1-12 plays stellar D.

Imagine D-Fense chants at the Garden again...

remember the two people that used to run around the arena with cardboard cutouts of "D" and the white picket fence?

I'm sure they are still at the Garden, wearing paper bags...

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/31/2018  4:45 PM
Looks like this......

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
5/31/2018  5:31 PM
IMO the Knicks have a clear vision and stable leadership. The Front Office is stable and they made a solid Head Coach decision. Now they're able to setup a Proper Player Development Program, draft and add players that fit the vision that the Front Office and Coach have collectively. This is a good position for this franchise.

The Knicks Title Contender will come from adhering to the vision and making smart decisions. Fiz will be responsible for building the culture and setting the tone that the players will be taught to follow. Perry can do his job more effectively now with his coach in place.

reub
Member: #6227

5/31/2018  5:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/31/2018  5:33 PM
I actually think that getting Mikal Bridges gives us 3/5th of a championship team because of his defense and fit:

KP
Frank
Mikal
THJr
Next Year's #1

I'm projecting Hardaway as a sixth man on our championship team, so he'll need to be upgraded. KP, Frank and Mikal would give us some great defense for sure.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
5/31/2018  5:44 PM
reub wrote:I actually think that getting Mikal Bridges gives us 3/5th of a championship team because of his defense and fit:

KP
Frank
Mikal
THJr
Next Year's #1

I'm projecting Hardaway as a sixth man on our championship team, so he'll need to be upgraded. KP, Frank and Mikal would give us some great defense for sure.

Exactly how I see it as well. The Knicks have a chance to put together a very good defensive core. Add in Dotson and Troy as well.
Stevo718
Member: #559
5/31/2018  6:40 PM
nixluva wrote:
reub wrote:I actually think that getting Mikal Bridges gives us 3/5th of a championship team because of his defense and fit:

KP
Frank
Mikal
THJr
Next Year's #1

Exactly how I see it as well. The Knicks have a chance to put together a very good defensive core. Add in Dotson and Troy as well.

I agree with KP/Frank/Mikal but I disagree with THJ too streaky. First thing we have to do is financial responsibility no more bloated contracts need to save the max money for first tier players and not pay any max money to second tier players need to find bargains through draft picks and farm system and stop overpaying!!! No more Noah or THJ or Baker or Lance contracts don’t overpay for Kanterneed to have patience let Let all those bad contracts come off the books

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
6/1/2018  11:41 AM
Almost looked like this:

Damn you, JVG!

what does a knicks championship team look like?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy