[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Happy 25th, THE DUNK
Author Thread
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

5/25/2018  11:27 AM
my God, the greatest in-game dunk in Knicks history, possibly period, turned 25 today.

I had the poster... I like to pretend that the Knicks won this series...

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
5/25/2018  12:19 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:my God, the greatest in-game dunk in Knicks history, possibly period, turned 25 today.

which play meant more to you as a fan?

ES
SupremeCommander

5/25/2018  1:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/25/2018  1:13 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:my God, the greatest in-game dunk in Knicks history, possibly period, turned 25 today.

probably THE DUNK because I legitimately thought the Knicks were going to beat the Bulls after that. I've never been more euphoric as a fan...

LJ's 4 point play (or to a lesser extent, Houston's running jumper) were playing with house money. 99 was closer to Linsanity for me - just this magical run where I never truly believed that they'd win it all. After THE DUNK? Yes, I definitely believed it was our year... really somewhat of an anecdote for being a Knicks fan.

anrst
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1054
USA
5/25/2018  3:27 PM
this is embarassing. we lost that series like a buncha bitches. we never beat jordan. pathetic that we all celebrate a stupid dunk that meant nothing.

but jfc, i can't believe it was 25 years ago. wow.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/25/2018  5:48 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

probably THE DUNK because I legitimately thought the Knicks were going to beat the Bulls after that. I've never been more euphoric as a fan...

LJ's 4 point play (or to a lesser extent, Houston's running jumper) were playing with house money. 99 was closer to Linsanity for me - just this magical run where I never truly believed that they'd win it all. After THE DUNK? Yes, I definitely believed it was our year... really somewhat of an anecdote for being a Knicks fan.

The dunk. It was awesome. The Knicks went up 2-0 in that series and I was sure it was their time. I had that sound track as my ring tone on an old phone. Charles Smith
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
5/26/2018  8:07 AM
i feel like the dunk deserves its iconic status. it was one of the all-time sports rushes and i can’t imagine the total number of times i’ve watched reruns of it.

the 4-point play and running jumper were equally ecstatic for me. in fact i can remember exactly where i was for both of them while i can’t for the dunk (i can also remember where i was for smith’s 3 missed layups - the f’g garden ).

for me the worst pain remains ‘94. how do u fail to grab a ring when jordan took himself out of the picture and u have houston down 3-2?

93BUICK
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1175
USA
5/30/2018  9:47 PM
That dunk was the Lucy promises to hold the football moment for all Charlie Brown Knick fans.
A nice smooth shot with a Charles Smith chaser a few days later.
Glad to be in this delusional support group.
Glad that Marv, the board shrink is as lost as the rest of us.
Orange and Blue, at least we're due......
Marv wrote:i feel like the dunk deserves its iconic status. it was one of the all-time sports rushes and i can’t imagine the total number of times i’ve watched reruns of it.

the 4-point play and running jumper were equally ecstatic for me. in fact i can remember exactly where i was for both of them while i can’t for the dunk (i can also remember where i was for smith’s 3 missed layups - the f’g garden ).

for me the worst pain remains ‘94. how do u fail to grab a ring when jordan took himself out of the picture and u have houston down 3-2?

If you are still following the team and reading sites like this, there is nothing, short of your own demise, that is going to throw you off this train.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/31/2018  12:23 PM
Marv wrote:i feel like the dunk deserves its iconic status. it was one of the all-time sports rushes and i can’t imagine the total number of times i’ve watched reruns of it.

The dunk givith, the dunk taketh.
Starks was inconsistent. He was JR smith but with better entrepreneurial skills at an earlier age.

Nalod
USA
5/31/2018  1:12 PM
1. Starks got the doubt, deffered to ewing.
2. Ewing in star mode takes it to the hoop from from the right of the foul line, tried to dribble left across the lane, gets the ball stripped. Lose ball.
3. Smith has one chance on a broken play, the other "Three" attempts were hardly shots with three Bulls swarming him.

And we call it the Charles Smith Game. Knicks failure as at team, not on Charles smith.

And while we are at it, Starks beat BJ Armstrong who expected the next guy to switch, then Grant rolled in and he dunked over him. Jordan was only at the rim after the dunk. Makes for a nice picture but the dunk was on Grant. It was super play no doubt and impressive but the legend of the poster that it was on Jordan is really not what happened.
Super knick moment never the less.

That series should not rest on the back of Charles smith. Plenty of knick failure that contributed to that moment.

SupremeCommander

5/31/2018  1:59 PM
93BUICK wrote:That dunk was the Lucy promises to hold the football moment for all Charlie Brown Knick fans.

I need to get allanfan'ed after reading these posts back-to-back. where's firefly? Marv, fruity drinks?

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
5/31/2018  9:50 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
93BUICK wrote:That dunk was the Lucy promises to hold the football moment for all Charlie Brown Knick fans.

I need to get allanfan'ed after reading these posts back-to-back. where's firefly? Marv, fruity drinks?

absolutely. time to get gamweeeeeered.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
6/1/2018  12:11 PM
Nalod wrote:1. Starks got the doubt, deffered to ewing.
2. Ewing in star mode takes it to the hoop from from the right of the foul line, tried to dribble left across the lane, gets the ball stripped. Lose ball.
3. Smith has one chance on a broken play, the other "Three" attempts were hardly shots with three Bulls swarming him.

And we call it the Charles Smith Game. Knicks failure as at team, not on Charles smith.

That series should not rest on the back of Charles smith. Plenty of knick failure that contributed to that moment.

Pretend you are 6'10". You are exactly 2 feet from the basket. Who exactly contributed to that failure, at that moment? Watch the tape, Ewing didn't get stripped, he passed the ball to a wide open Charles Smith in the paint, after a clear blocking foul where nothing was called. Smith then missed "Four" attempts at a layup. Swarming? Like flies? He brought the ball down to his waist, EVERY FREAKING ATTEMPT.... Did you ever have a coach tell you, "Look when you get the ball in the paint, for GOD'S SAKE, DON'T GO STRAIGHT UP, BRING THE BALL DOWN, GATHER YOURSELF, HUMMM A LITTLE TUNE, AND THEN TRY TO MAKE A SHOT!"

You are the first person I've ever heard try to defend Charles Smith on that play. But I guess there had to be someone.

Nalod
USA
6/1/2018  2:27 PM
jrodmc wrote:

Pretend you are 6'10". You are exactly 2 feet from the basket. Who exactly contributed to that failure, at that moment? Watch the tape, Ewing didn't get stripped, he passed the ball to a wide open Charles Smith in the paint, after a clear blocking foul where nothing was called. Smith then missed "Four" attempts at a layup. Swarming? Like flies? He brought the ball down to his waist, EVERY FREAKING ATTEMPT.... Did you ever have a coach tell you, "Look when you get the ball in the paint, for GOD'S SAKE, DON'T GO STRAIGHT UP, BRING THE BALL DOWN, GATHER YOURSELF, HUMMM A LITTLE TUNE, AND THEN TRY TO MAKE A SHOT!"

You are the first person I've ever heard try to defend Charles Smith on that play. But I guess there had to be someone.

Your right. Ewing fell down and moved the ball to him.
He was wide open?
Looks like some real good defense on him.
Does it sting any less?

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
6/1/2018  3:03 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/1/2018  3:05 PM
Nalod wrote:
jrodmc wrote:

He was wide open?
Does it sting any less?

He's standing in the paint. Ewing was able to throw the ball right to him, completely unobstructed. That's being open where I come from.
It doesn't sting any less. But that game's on Charles Smith. The prototypical Mr. Softee.

Peace and serenity, now.

Funny, how on a thread about The Dunk, we're talking about the one that should have happened.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/1/2018  4:30 PM
Nalod wrote:
jrodmc wrote:

He was wide open?
Does it sting any less?

Ewhy did you post that? That sequence has haunted me for 25 years. And on a Friday. The Knicks should have been up 3-2 with the chance for a game 7 at msg if needed.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Happy 25th, THE DUNK

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy