[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Insider Article: NBA Draft Combine Measurements: Big Winners and Comps from New Measurements (Content Not for Meloshouldgo)
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
5/19/2018  11:31 AM
No baiting, trolling, hating or other bs. Just and insider article.
2018 NBA draft combine - Measurements winners and comps
Read
Markdown
HTML
2018 NBA draft combine - Measurements winners and comps
by Jonathan Givony on 2018-05-11 09:08:00 UTC (original: http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/23531156/2018-nba-draft-combine-measurements-winners-comps)

Many of the top prospects in the 2018 NBA draft had their measurements taken at the NBA draft combine.

Here are our biggest takeaways, including physical comps and some record-setting numbers.

• As expected, Mohamed Bamba measured off the charts at the combine, standing 7-0¾ in shoes with a 7-10 wingspan that now ranks as comfortably the top mark in the event's history (ahead of Rudy Gobert's 7-8½ measurement from 2013). Bamba's 9-7½ standing reach edges Gobert's 9-7 standing reach in the record books as well, but the Texas product tipped the scales at just 226 pounds, some 12 pounds less than Gobert weighed ahead of the draft.

Among the most unique physical specimens in NBA history, the 20-year old New York native did not disappoint with his numbers, coming out slightly ahead of his previously recorded marks from the last three years. He clearly has room to get stronger. Still, he figures to be able to impact play around the basket on both ends of the floor with his length as his game matures.

• Michigan State's Jaren Jackson Jr. may not have broken as many records as Bamba, but it's hard not to come away impressed with the size of the 18-year old power forward. Growing across the board from last summer, Jackson measured 6-11¼ in shoes with a massive 7-5¼ wingspan, a 9-2 standing reach and 10-inch hands, all of which rank in the top six percent of players ever measured at the combine.

Jackson may not be an outlier, but at 236 pounds he has a prototypical package of physical tools for a modern NBA big man, already comparing favorably to the marks LaMarcus Aldridge recorded just shy of his 21st birthday at the 2006 pre-draft camp, as well as those of Myles Turner a few years ago.

• Wendell Carter Jr. measured as expected at 6-10 in shoes with a 7-4½ wingspan and a 9-1 standing reach, all on the high end of the spectrum of marks he's posted over the last few years and all ranking in the top 10 percent of measurements recorded at the combine all-time. Stacking up well with the other freakish big men in this class, Carter perhaps most notably weighed 251 pounds, down a bit in recent years as he's clearly worked hard on his conditioning in the pre-draft process to this point.

Carter may not be the biggest or longest player among the big men likely to hear their names called in the mid-lottery on draft night, but he is perhaps the most physically mature, comparing favorably to Derrick Favors and Nene at the same age.

2018 NBA draft
Get ready for Deandre Ayton, Luka Doncic, Trae Young and more top prospects.

• Full NBA mock draft
• Scouting the likely lottery picks
• Top 100 rankings
• Who's in, who's testing?
• Rookie fantasy expectations
• Draft assets for every team

• Trae Young ranks among the bottom 10 percent of players ever measured at the combine in height, wingspan and weight, measuring 6-1¾ in shoes with a 6-3 wingspan and a 178-pound frame. That didn't hold Young back from putting together the best first half of a season of perhaps any player in modern NCAA history, and his dimensions are on par with a few successful NBA guards such as Kemba Walker and Chris Paul at the same stage.

• Michael Porter Jr. played just 53 minutes this season as a freshman for the Missouri Tigers and has as much to gain as anyone in the pre-draft process. His measurements here won't hurt his cause.

He appears to have grown since last fall, measuring 6-10¾ in shoes with a 7-0¼ wingspan and a 9-0½ standing reach, all marginal improvements from this time last year. His height ranks in the 92nd percentile among all players ever measured at the combine, impressive for a player who could conceivably play some small forward at the next level. However, he weighed just 211 pounds, down from 216 pounds at last year's Nike Hoop Summit, as his rehabilitation after back surgery certainly stalled any efforts to pack on muscle throughout the college season.

As much as Porter's size is a plus, showing that he's regained the mobility that made him one of the best prep players in the country a year ago will perhaps go furthest towards helping him regain some of the momentum he had among NBA personnel coming into this season.

• Alabama star Collin Sexton measured 6-1½ in shoes with a 6-7¼ wingspan, 183-pound frame and 5.6 percent body fat. His dimensions are identical to those he posted when arriving at Alabama last fall except for his body fat, which is down significantly (almost 4 percent). His height ranks in the bottom 10 percent of all players ever measured at the Combine, but his length sits a bit more favorably. If his athletic testing numbers resemble what he posted last fall, Sexton figures to notch some of the top marks in terms of quickness and leaping ability at this year's event.

• Miles Bridges' numbers at the Combine are the first official measurements published for him since the summer of 2016. As one would expect, he's grown a bit, standing 6-6¾ in shoes with a 6-9½ wingspan, but interestingly he's shed some weight from his high school days. At 220 pounds with 5.9 percent body fat, the powerfully built wing has made some positive strides in terms of conditioning. He may not be quite as long, but Bridges is physically similar to 2015 draftee Justise Winslow.

• Kevin Knox reinforced the value of Kentucky's annual preseason pro day by posting nearly identical measurements to those recorded at that event last fall. Standing 6-9 in shoes with a 213-pound frame and 6-11¾ wingspan, Knox has similar dimensions to rookie sensation Jayson Tatum and a young Paul George.

• Zhaire Smith is an interesting case. Ranked just 223rd in the RSCI in the class of 2017, Smith is one of the only players at this year's combine whose measurements were not publicly available prior to today. Standing just 6-4 in shoes, Smith lacks size for a wing, but his 6-9¾ wingspan is impressive for his height and he plays significantly bigger thanks to the freakish explosiveness that should help him stand out in the athletic testing portion of the combine.

• Anfernee Simons measured 6-3¼ in shoes with a 6-9¼ wingspan and a 183-pound frame. One of the more enigmatic prospects in the draft after taking the prep-to-pros route and declaring for the draft out of IMG Academy, Simons is a bit shorter than previously listed, but he compares favorably to a number of prominent NBA guards, including George Hill.

• Shai Gilgeous-Alexander posted perhaps the most impressive measurements of any guard at this year's combine, standing 6-6 in shoes with a 6-11½ wingspan and 180-pound frame. Like Knox's numbers, Gilgeous-Alexander's dimensions line up nicely with the ones he posted last fall. The Canadian point guard's size puts him in rare company at his position, stacking up relatively well to Shaun Livingston, who measured 6-7½ in shoes with a 6-11 wingspan and a 186-pound frame at the 2004 pre-draft camp. Gilgeous-Alexander's 3 percent body fat is the lowest ever recorded, and his 6-11½ wingspan is third-longest ever by a point guard prospect at the combine.

• The longest wingspan recorded by a point guard at the Combine belongs to Shake Milton, whose 7-0¾ ranks as the best all time. An oversized lead guard who had a strong year shooting and passing the ball at SMU, Milton has the size on paper to overcome his lack of freakish athleticism.

• Purdue's Isaac Haas warrants mention here as both the tallest and heaviest player ever measured at the combine. Standing 7-2¾ in shoes and weighing 303 pounds, Haas tied the top weight mark all-time with Dexter Pittman, but his body fat percentage is some 8 percent lower than Pittman's, as he's remarkably well proportioned for a player his size.

• Kansas center Udoka Azubuike's 7-7 wingspan is the fourth-longest wingspan in combine history.

• There was no shortage of players posting gaudy wingspans relative to their listed height this season.

Here's a look at the top prospects in that regard, with Bamba posting the top mark among big men and Tulane defensive whiz Melvin Frazier leading all guards:

Notable height/wingspan differentials
Player Team HT (No Shoes) WS Diff.
Mohamed Bamba Texas 6-11¼ 7-10 10¾
Melvin Frazier Tulane 6-4½ 7-1.¾ 9¼
Udoka Azubuike Kansas 6-10 7-7 9
Kevin Hervey UT-Arlington 6-6½ 7-3½ 9
Josh Okogie Georgia Tech 6-3 7-0 9
Justin Jackson Maryland 6-6 7-3 9
Austin Wiley Auburn 6-8¼ 7-5 8¾
Shake Milton SMU 6-4½ 7-0.¾ 8¼
Keita Bates-Diop Ohio State 6-7¼ 7-3.25 8
Khyri Thomas Creighton 7-2½ 6-10½ 8
PJ Washington Kentucky 7-6½ 7-2½ 8
• Miami shooting guard Lonnie Walker IV measured impressively for a shooting guard standing 6-4½ in shoes with a 6-10¼ wingspan and a 196-pound frame, giving him similar size to D'Angelo Russell when the former No. 2 overall pick was coming out of Ohio State in 2015.

• Aaron Holiday may not be particularly tall for a point guard -- standing just 6'0¾ in shoes -- but his 6-7½ wingspan certainly stands out. His brother, Jrue Holiday, measured 6-4¼ in shoes with a 6-7 wingspan back in 2009. Holiday's measurables are similar those of Eric Bledsoe, though Holiday is just a bit shorter.

• Ohio State's Keita Bates-Diop has long been lauded for his wingspan, but this is the first official measurements publicly available to justify that attention. Standing 6-8½ in shoes, Bates-Diop's 7-3¼ wingspan is impressive for his height, and his 224-pound frame with just 5.4 percent body fat also rates well The 22-year old forward has similar dimension to a young Rudy Gay.

• Khyri Thomas is another player who was measured officially for the first time. Lacking great size and standing just 6-3¾ in shoes, Thomas has a tremendous 6-10½ wingspan. His combination of size and length is similar to that of NBA rookie standout Donovan Mitchell, though Mitchell has a stronger frame.

Scraped at insider2text.xyz, brought to you by HeheStreams — No ads, No Bull**** Live & On-Demand NBA, NFL, MLB, and NHL Streaming

• Jacob Evans measured just a hair smaller than his listed size at 6-5½ in shoes with a 6-9¼ wingspan and a 200-pound frame, but he has solid size for a versatile wing in his mold.

• De'Anthony Melton didn't get a chance to suit up for USC this season, but he measured as expected here at 6-3¼ in shoes with a 6-8½ wingspan and a 193-pound frame. A combo guard with similar dimensions to Terry Rozier, Melton will look to regain some of the momentum he built coming out of his first season at USC.

• Final Four hero Donte DiVincenzo is not particularly long for his height, but at 6-4½ in shoes with a 6-6 wingspan and a 201-pound frame he has similar dimensions to Nuggets standout Gary Harris.

• Oregon freshman Troy Brown measured right around as expected at 6-6¾ in shoes with a 6-10¼ wingspan and 208-pound frame. Brown isn't freakishly tall or long, but has similar physical tools to Spurs sharpshooter Danny Green and Oklahoma State defensive stopper Andre Roberson.

Get the full measurements here.

Scraped at insider2text.xyz, brought to you by HeheStreams — No ads, No Bull**** Live & On-Demand NBA, NFL, MLB, and NHL Streaming

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/23531156/2018-nba-draft-combine-measurements-winners-comps
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
5/20/2018  1:31 PM
Good stuff. I see some good prospects later in the 1st rd. Keita Bates-Diop is one. Donte DiVincenzo is another.
I’m real curious about this kid 😳

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

5/20/2018  2:02 PM
nixluva wrote:Good stuff. I see some good prospects later in the 1st rd. Keita Bates-Diop is one. Donte DiVincenzo is another.

No More pseudo Giannis

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
nixluva
USA
5/20/2018  4:13 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
nixluva wrote:Good stuff. I see some good prospects later in the 1st rd. Keita Bates-Diop is one. Donte DiVincenzo is another.

No More pseudo Giannis

LIVE BODY! Kid is a perfect developmental pickup. He’s got a TON of raw talent. IMO his College team didn’t really get the best out of him. He’s got the genetics and enough skill to be worth developing in the G League. Knicks should be all about taking kids like this in the 2nd rd and getting them in the program.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/20/2018  5:06 PM

He's raw, but intrigued as well. More of 4/3 at this point, but I could see him being more. Has a nice touch.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

5/20/2018  5:15 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

He's raw, but intrigued as well. More of 4/3 at this point, but I could see him being more. Has a nice touch.

He looks very uncoordinated. At 37 we could get a rotation player im not sure I would draft someone this raw. I guess if we are convinced we don't have room on the roster for next season taking a straight to g-league guy could work.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
BigDaddyG

5/20/2018  5:22 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

He looks very uncoordinated. At 37 we could get a rotation player im not sure I would draft someone this raw. I guess if we are convinced we don't have room on the roster for next season taking a straight to g-league guy could work.

I'm open to anything at this point. If we bring him and he looks good, then maybe we buy a pick. I'm not locked on anyone with pick 36.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
reub
Member: #6227

5/20/2018  7:00 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Bobby Marks was interviewed during the Combine and said that a team should make an under the table deal with him so that he doesn't work out for anybody and then is signed as a 2-way player. That sounds like a good strategy for us to pursue here.

nixluva
USA
5/20/2018  8:15 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Kostas isn’t uncoordinated he’s just one of those gangly kids trying grow into his frame. He’s very agile for a 6-10.5 kid with 7-2 wingspan. He needs to hit the weights more and fill out that frame. He can handle the ball pretty good for his size. The main thing with him is his D, running the floor and finishing at the rim.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/21/2018  9:15 AM
• Trae Young ranks among the bottom 10 percent of players ever measured at the combine in height, wingspan and weight, measuring 6-1¾ in shoes with a 6-3 wingspan and a 178-pound frame. That didn't hold Young back from putting together the best first half of a season of perhaps any player in modern NCAA history, and his dimensions are on par with a few successful NBA guards such as Kemba Walker and Chris Paul at the same stage.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

5/21/2018  10:13 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/21/2018  10:14 AM
fishmike wrote:

I really think he's going to get exposed at the next level... the lack of size, plus the fact that he was a turnover factory... that said, I won't necessarily guarantee it because he did have some incredible production

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

5/21/2018  10:27 AM
CrushAlot wrote:No baiting, trolling, hating or other bs. Just and insider article.
• As expected, Mohamed Bamba measured off the charts at the combine, standing 7-0¾ in shoes with a 7-10 wingspan that now ranks as comfortably the top mark in the event's history (ahead of Rudy Gobert's 7-8½ measurement from 2013). Bamba's 9-7½ standing reach edges Gobert's 9-7 standing reach in the record books as well, but the Texas product tipped the scales at just 226 pounds, some 12 pounds less than Gobert weighed ahead of the draft.

Among the most unique physical specimens in NBA history, the 20-year old New York native did not disappoint with his numbers, coming out slightly ahead of his previously recorded marks from the last three years. He clearly has room to get stronger. Still, he figures to be able to impact play around the basket on both ends of the floor with his length as his game matures.

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/23531156/2018-nba-draft-combine-measurements-winners-comps

While I tend to think defensive centers are not ass important as they used to be, I find myself becoming a bigger Bamba fan. The measurables are impressive, but I love the intangibles. This was in The Post:

The 20-year-old who considered Harvard and has attended Daryl Morey’s famed Sloan Analytics Conference the past two years

I love that. It sounds like he could be the center version of Rondo

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
BigDaddyG

5/21/2018  10:45 AM
reub wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Bobby Marks was interviewed during the Combine and said that a team should make an under the table deal with him so that he doesn't work out for anybody and then is signed as a 2-way player. That sounds like a good strategy for us to pursue here.

Might work. Money isn't really an issue for him and it would give him the opportunity to take control of his destiny. We treated his brother decently, so he might take us up on an offer like that.
Chandler
Member: #6197

5/21/2018  11:04 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I really think he's going to get exposed at the next level... the lack of size, plus the fact that he was a turnover factory... that said, I won't necessarily guarantee it because he did have some incredible production

the short arms should remind all of Jimmer Freddette (sp?). No amount of enthusiasm will compensate for the small stature and wingspan

anyone buying (at best) is getting pure offense and a defensive liability of the highest order.

(5)(5)
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
5/21/2018  11:13 AM
Chandler wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:

the short arms should remind all of Jimmer Freddette (sp?). No amount of enthusiasm will compensate for the small stature and wingspan

anyone buying (at best) is getting pure offense and a defensive liability of the highest order.

Been saying this since Briggs was busting nuts over him last fall. I want no part... zilch. Zero.

I would trade a top 5 protected future #1 if I could move up to get Bamba though. Put he, KP and Frank together as a future core and you can ruin other team's ability to score.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BigDaddyG

5/21/2018  12:28 PM
Chandler wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:

His wingspan looks to be about the same as Step Curry's. Chris Jackson didn't appear to have the longest arms either. Jimmer's biggest problem was inability to transition as a playmaker with less usage. Defense will obviously be an issue, especially at the beginning. As I've stated earlier, I'm not really thrilled with any of the PG's in this year's class as lottery talents. But I'm not working them out either.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
5/21/2018  1:06 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Chandler wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:

His wingspan looks to be about the same as Step Curry's. Chris Jackson didn't appear to have the longest arms either. Jimmer's biggest problem was inability to transition as a playmaker with less usage. Defense will obviously be an issue, especially at the beginning. As I've stated earlier, I'm not really thrilled with any of the PG's in this year's class as lottery talents. But I'm not working them out either.

That is essentially the problem. He is going to HAVE to be Steph Curry or Steve Nash level of production and efficiency to make up for his short comings. That's a lot to ask of a player. And odds are he wont be able to live up to those standards. It's possible he can and does. But playing the odds....

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Chandler

5/21/2018  1:10 PM
fishmike wrote:
Chandler wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Been saying this since Briggs was busting nuts over him last fall. I want no part... zilch. Zero.

I would trade a top 5 protected future #1 if I could move up to get Bamba though. Put he, KP and Frank together as a future core and you can ruin other team's ability to score.

can Bamba guard away from the rim? If not wouldn't you be worried about his utility when other team plays small ball pulling him away from basket (especially if we can't use him to punish opponent at the other end -- something that always infuriated me, i.e., when we have the size advantage but don't exploit that advantage)

(5)(5)
Chandler

5/21/2018  1:13 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Chandler wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:

That is essentially the problem. He is going to HAVE to be Steph Curry or Steve Nash level of production and efficiency to make up for his short comings. That's a lot to ask of a player. And odds are he wont be able to live up to those standards. It's possible he can and does. But playing the odds....

this is my concern too. You'd be buying all offense and hope he can deliver at an elite level.

(5)(5)
Chandler

5/21/2018  1:29 PM
Chandler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Chandler wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:

can Bamba guard away from the rim? If not wouldn't you be worried about his utility when other team plays small ball pulling him away from basket (especially if we can't use him to punish opponent at the other end -- something that always infuriated me, i.e., when we have the size advantage but don't exploit that advantage)

sorry to be quoting my own post, but by way of example, Capella can switch off on just about anyone and guard and/or deny at the perimeter. I'd be wary of adding another paint protector if they can't address small ball too

(5)(5)
Insider Article: NBA Draft Combine Measurements: Big Winners and Comps from New Measurements (Content Not for Meloshouldgo)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy