[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Fizdale involved in interviewing process and combine
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/18/2018  9:31 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/david-fizdale-knicks-star-kristaps-porzingis-article-1.3995578

CHICAGO — David Fizdale has set his priority for the beginning of his Knicks tenure: make Kristaps Porzingis believe in the Knicks again.

"I want him to feel something different. I want him to feel something that when he comes back here it's going to be special for him," Fizdale said Thursday at the draft combine. "That he's walking back into a culture and environment that's set up for winning. That's my biggest goal this summer, is to really bond with him and connect with him and get insight from him: His experiences, what he liked, what he didn't like, what he'd like to see, what's his goals.

"Does he see himself as a guy who can be MVP one day? Defensive Player of the Year? I want to hear all that stuff and share with him my vision on how to get him there."

About a year ago, Porzingis skipped out on his exit meeting as a means to protest the Knicks dysfunction and direction (or lack of a direction). He seemed more positive last season before tearing his ACL, but doubt is understandable for a 22-year-old already on his fourth NBA coach.

Fizdale said he plans to visit Porzingis over the summer in Europe, where the Latvian is rehabbing from ACL surgery.

"Oh yeah, that's going to happen," Fizdale said. "Multiple times maybe over the course of the summer."

Fizdale's most powerful gesture to Porzingis would be bringing a contract extension. However, the Knicks have been non-committal about extending the offer — which would be five years, $157 million — and could simply wait until Porzingis is a restricted free agent in the summer of 2019.

Delaying would save the Knicks roughly $10 million in cap space for the 2019 offseason, when they're poised to chase high-profile free agents like Kawhi Leonard and Kyrie Irving. The fact that the team and Porzingis have not always been on the same page clouds the trust.

Further complicating matters is that Porzingis' recovery timetable remains undefined. Owner James Dolan brought up the possibility of Porzingis missing all of next season, and GM Scott Perry said Tuesday they'll have a better idea by the end of the summer.

Knicks coach David Fizdale talks about what he wants to discuss with Kristaps Porzingis.

Fizdale also visited Marc Gasol in the summer after he was hired by Memphis, but that relationship deteriorated rapidly. Fizdale said he learned from that experience and is hoping to apply the lessons to coaching Porzingis and the rebuilding Knicks.

The first step toward roster improvement is the draft in June, when the Knicks are slated to pick 9th. Fizdale has been part of the contingent interviewing prospects at the combine — a role he didn't have in Memphis or Miami — and called it "great from an educational standpoint."

The Knicks interviewed Alabama's Collin Sexton and Villanova's Mikal Bridges, among others, on Wednesday. They're scheduled to sit down with Oklahoma point guard Trae Young on Friday.

"When you sit down and talk to them you want to hear the character of the kid. You want to see who he is, where he's from, what shaped him," Fizdale said. "We have a certain kind of player we're looking for. I think I made it clear that the toughness thing is a top priority for us. Versatility, skill, guys that play both sides of the ball. Those are things that fit under what we're looking for."

Like Steve Mills, Scott Perry and even Jeff Hornacek, Fizdale agreed that the Knicks' greatest need is a forward.

"If you look at just slots, our wing position we got to add a little more in there from the three-four spot," Fizdale said. "But that's a position-less kind of area. Who fits that mold? I don't know. It's always guys, a 6-7 to 6-9 guy who is a two-way player with a lot of skill that helps us."

Mikal Bridges and Miles Bridges certainly fit in that category. But Porzingis has his own category (Unicorn), and Fizdale said that's his priority.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

5/18/2018  9:59 AM

All this talk about toughness etc. makes me think we might trade back. E.g., our first and second for Clips two firsts, or perhaps something with one of the other teams with multiple first rounders

Sounds like he's looking for Jae Crowder-types not reaching for ROYs at 9

(5)(5)
Cartman718
Member: #1694

5/18/2018  10:05 AM
Chandler wrote:
All this talk about toughness etc. makes me think we might trade back. E.g., our first and second for Clips two firsts, or perhaps something with one of the other teams with multiple first rounders

Sounds like he's looking for Jae Crowder-types not reaching for ROYs at 9

9 and 36 for 12 and 13. I'd absolutely do that.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/18/2018  10:06 AM
This is why I was on board with this hire. Fizdale acknowledged what he didnt get right in Memphis, mainly his relationship with Gasol. By making the effort early on to connect with KP, see what makes him tick, build trust, Fizdale is walking it like hs talks it. Working right off the bat to avoid the mistakes he made during his last stint.
Cartman718
Member: #1694

5/18/2018  10:07 AM
GustavBahler wrote:This is why I was on board with this hire. Fizdale acknowledged what he didnt get right in Memphis, mainly his relationship with Gasol. By making the effort early on to connect with KP, see what makes him tick, build trust, Fizdale is walking it like hs talks it. Working right off the bat to avoid the mistakes he made during his last stint.

and suddenly the canyon is just a short jump remember my pic from the other ping pong thread

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
GustavBahler

5/18/2018  10:10 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/18/2018  10:10 AM
Cartman718 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:This is why I was on board with this hire. Fizdale acknowledged what he didnt get right in Memphis, mainly his relationship with Gasol. By making the effort early on to connect with KP, see what makes him tick, build trust, Fizdale is walking it like hs talks it. Working right off the bat to avoid the mistakes he made during his last stint.

and suddenly the canyon is just a short jump remember my pic from the other ping pong thread

KP has to rehab first before he can make that leap. and we have a lot of building to do. I am encouraged though.

fishmike
USA
5/18/2018  10:26 AM

I like the transparency... he's not arrogant. He doesnt pretend to have a mistake free past or to always be right. We will see what kind of coach he is.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
5/18/2018  10:36 AM
The first step toward roster improvement is the draft in June, when the Knicks are slated to pick 9th. Fizdale has been part of the contingent interviewing prospects at the combine — a role he didn't have in Memphis or Miami — and called it "great from an educational standpoint."

I understand that in Miami as he wasn't the head coach. But I find that crazy in Memphis. Should be common practice for every Head Coach to be involved as much as possible for the draft and free agency and trades etc. Should probably have the top assistant coach involved as much as possible as well.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
GustavBahler

5/18/2018  10:46 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/18/2018  10:49 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:

I understand that in Miami as he wasn't the head coach. But I find that crazy in Memphis. Should be common practice for every Head Coach to be involved as much as possible for the draft and free agency and trades etc. Should probably have the top assistant coach involved as much as possible as well.

Agree, that is strange. Puts a wall between coach and mgmt IMO

fishmike
USA
5/18/2018  12:39 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Not strange and here is why. A coach is going to be swayed heavily by a player's personality and how he projects it is to work with that person. The Front office should be driven more by talent and skill sets and team building.

Now in the perfect world there is a confluence... where the FO is pushing the talent and the coach is pushing for who's personality fits best in his lockroom and they meet happily in the middle. Obviously this isnt always the case and there is a downside to having Fizdale be part of this process. He may become enamored with a certain player's mental make up and the FO may view another player's talent as simply superior. What then?

Strong leadership would dictate roles and priority and hopefully Fizdale knows his input is valued but he may need to take a backseat to a longer term vision by the FO. If that happens great. However we see coaches not making good GMs and hybrid GM/coaches always fail.... so I think they are solid reasons why teams dont involve coaches in this process.

My 2c

newyorknewyork
5/18/2018  1:09 PM
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Not strange and here is why. A coach is going to be swayed heavily by a player's personality and how he projects it is to work with that person. The Front office should be driven more by talent and skill sets and team building.

Now in the perfect world there is a confluence... where the FO is pushing the talent and the coach is pushing for who's personality fits best in his lockroom and they meet happily in the middle. Obviously this isnt always the case and there is a downside to having Fizdale be part of this process. He may become enamored with a certain player's mental make up and the FO may view another player's talent as simply superior. What then?

Strong leadership would dictate roles and priority and hopefully Fizdale knows his input is valued but he may need to take a backseat to a longer term vision by the FO. If that happens great. However we see coaches not making good GMs and hybrid GM/coaches always fail.... so I think they are solid reasons why teams dont involve coaches in this process.

My 2c

This is all true in terms of possible conflict. But all opinions and input from critical figures should be weighed and given value. Putting together the most informed possible decision. Can't eliminate possible input that a GM may not see but a coach would.

I guess that would be more of an issue for coaches that weren't hired by the GM in place. In which they both have 2 completely different philosophies.

fishmike
USA
5/18/2018  1:16 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

My 2c

This is all true in terms of possible conflict. But all opinions and input from critical figures should be weighed and given value. Putting together the most informed possible decision. Can't eliminate possible input that a GM may not see but a coach would.

I guess that would be more of an issue for coaches that weren't hired by the GM in place. In which they both have 2 completely different philosophies.

listen... I agree... when it works. One would think in Fizdale the FO see's eye to eye with the type of players they want to bring in and develop. Fingers crossed.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/18/2018  5:08 PM
fishmike wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

My 2c

listen... I agree... when it works. One would think in Fizdale the FO see's eye to eye with the type of players they want to bring in and develop. Fingers crossed.
It is an amazing change in philosophy if it works. The front office always has to make moves with the big picture in mind but having a coach and management team on the same page hasn't happened in NY since Woodson/Grunwald.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
newyorknewyork
5/18/2018  5:25 PM
fishmike wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

My 2c

After the extensive interview process Im not to worried about the conflict between Fizz and Perry and Mills with the Knicks. Just was surprised it wasn't common practice around the league. But you raise some good points.

newyorknewyork
5/18/2018  5:35 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

My 2c

It is an amazing change in philosophy if it works. The front office always has to make moves with the big picture in mind but having a coach and management team on the same page hasn't happened in NY since Woodson/Grunwald.

While I liked Grunny. He wasn't to great at big picture himself. Between the multiple 2nds given up for Camby and another player I forget. To the extensions of Smith and Felton running a year to long. I don't blame him for Bargs though as that was all Dolan.

Fizdale involved in interviewing process and combine

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy