[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

I am warming up to the Fizdale hiring
Author Thread
awe1028
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #2780

5/9/2018  3:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/9/2018  3:46 PM

Unlike most I was neutral, meh on the Fizdale pick. But after listening to him on the "I am Rapaport" podcast I am starting to think this guy gets it. At about the 46:40 minute to about the 47 minute mark he starts talking about what its going to take to beat Golden State or Houston.

He asks,"How do I beat the best?
"I am not going to outscore Houston or G.S."
"That's just not realistic"
"No matter what team I Take I just don't realistically see that happening where I'm walking into a team that can outscore them"
"So I'm gonna have to have a DEFENSE THAT'S NUMBER ONE

I have been saying this all along. The only way the Knicks defeat G.S. is to build an elite defense that can neutralize G.S.'s offense. The fact that Fizdale recognizes this fact makes me hopeful that may be just may be he is the right coach.
Of course I have to see him live up to the statement by focusing on Frank and selecting the best defenders in the draft (Mikal Bridges Khyri Thomas, Melvin Frazier, Mo Bamba) but this is certainly good to hear

AUTOADVERT
dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

5/9/2018  3:50 PM
He told jalen rose on a show he wants teams to fear coming to the garden to play lol . I hope he can in still that
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
5/9/2018  4:49 PM
The #1 defense(jazz & spurs) will not beat the #1 offense that's just the era of basketball we are in right now, So that's really not the best course of action.
ES
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/9/2018  5:52 PM
knicks1248 wrote:The #1 defense(jazz & spurs) will not beat the #1 offense that's just the era of basketball we are in right now, So that's really not the best course of action.

Don't agree with you. But what is YOUR best course of action?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

5/9/2018  6:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/9/2018  6:12 PM
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:The #1 defense(jazz & spurs) will not beat the #1 offense that's just the era of basketball we are in right now, So that's really not the best course of action.

+1

on a net basis, Houston is the #1 defense in the NBA. Toronto was #2. And GSW is #3. I know that Toronto just got swept but I'd argue they exceeded expectations. I think SAS and Utah exceeded expectations as well. Sign me up for defense.

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
5/9/2018  6:50 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
martin wrote:

+1

on a net basis, Houston is the #1 defense in the NBA. Toronto was #2. And GSW is #3. I know that Toronto just got swept but I'd argue they exceeded expectations. I think SAS and Utah exceeded expectations as well. Sign me up for defense.

The Warriors are beyond a #1 offense so have to keep that in perspective. If a defensive team collected 4-5 all nba defensive players then that would be a more even comparison. Not only that but both the Spurs and Utah and Toronto made the playoffs with decent seeding. So if the Knicks eventually become a regular playoff team with decent seeding due to quality defense yr in and yr out. Wouldn't that lead to the continuity that ppl have been asking for out of the Knicks?

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

5/9/2018  8:59 PM
martin wrote:

I think its the best way to become competitive, especially with Porzingis and Frank. We are basically one wing away from being a top 10 defensive team. However this team is still a long way away from being a legit contender

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
knicks1248
5/9/2018  9:23 PM
martin wrote:

You have to be tops in the league on both ends, but more so the offense. The speed, spacing, and shooting of today's game, the whole object is to score before the other team can set up their defense. MDA's philosophy...

Kerr admitted the other day

The Warriors have won two championships in the last three years and put together one of the greatest runs in NBA history by playing small and prioritizing shooting and ball movement. It’s the evolution of a style pioneered by Rockets coach Mike D’Antoni during his mid-2000s run with the Phoenix Suns. Before the Warriors’ Game 4 against the New Orleans Pelicans on Sunday, head coach Steve Kerr reflected on D’Antoni’s influence on his team and on the modern game

Prioritizing to me says what their focus is on

ES
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
5/9/2018  10:07 PM
What matters is your net difference. If you can score 115 a game the you are allowed to give up 110. If you score 100 then you are allowed to give up 95. If you put up a 5 point differential then you are probably a top 5 team in the NBA.

So if you collect enough talent to go with a system that puts up 115 pts then sure. But odds are you don't have that.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
5/9/2018  10:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/9/2018  10:54 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:

You have to be tops in the league on both ends, but more so the offense. The speed, spacing, and shooting of today's game, the whole object is to score before the other team can set up their defense. MDA's philosophy...

The Warriors have won two championships in the last three years and put together one of the greatest runs in NBA history by playing small and prioritizing shooting and ball movement. It’s the evolution of a style pioneered by Rockets coach Mike D’Antoni during his mid-2000s run with the Phoenix Suns. Before the Warriors’ Game 4 against the New Orleans Pelicans on Sunday, head coach Steve Kerr reflected on D’Antoni’s influence on his team and on the modern game

Effectiveness is the key.
Defense or offense the key is to run both effectively.
Shot selection, minimizing turnovers, less trips to FT by opponent and more by you.
GS is supper effective team. So any team with LeBron on it. So Spurs. And lately Huston.
The best coaches in NBA run the system which is more effective for the set of players their team has.
It takes time. Time to find the system, to collect the players who can be effective in it, and then perfect it to run as Switzerland clock.
It takes long time, patience, and trust from executives, owners, and fans.
Are we fans up to our part of the task?

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
5/10/2018  12:38 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/10/2018  1:40 AM
arkrud wrote:Effectiveness is the key.
Shot selection, minimizing turnovers, less trips to FT by opponent and more by you.
GS is supper effective team. So any team with LeBron on it. So Spurs. And lately Huston.
The best coaches in NBA run the system which is more effective for the set of players their team has.
It takes time. Time to find the system, to collect the players who can be effective in it, and then perfect it to run as Switzerland clock.

Absolutely! The advantage we have is our 2 cornerstones have high IQ and are decent defenders (KP and Frank - THJ is just a warm body that is probably a slight net negative). We need to fill out the rest of the roster with these types of players. ISO ball will not work anymore (despite how good Harden and Chris Paul are at it). It starts with shooting high percentages to give your defense time to get set against the opposing team. And then ends with good defense so that you can start a fast break on the other end from a miss.

Rose is not the answer.
awe1028
Member: #2780

5/10/2018  5:47 AM

This is nonsense. the Jazz and Spurs may have the #1 defenses but their defense is not elite.The type of defense the Knicks should be building and what Fizdale is referring to is a truly elite defense

The following clips shows exactly what elite defense looks like even in this era of basketball as you describe it.

Clip #1 Knicks vs Raptors 3rd quarter: 41 - 10 including 28 - 0 run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNZtzTvD2OM

Clip #2 Frank vs Kyrie Irving Keep in mind this is against one of the best offensive players in the game and when Frank put that defense on him he had Kyrie stumbling around like a drunken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDUcIC5KU6I

These 2 clips is just a sample of what a truly elite defense can do to on offense.

Imagine a collection of elite defenders on the Knicks including:

Frank
Mikal Bridges
KP
Defensive minded center from 2019 lottery (Bol Bol for example 7 ft 9 in wingspan a scenario that is quite possible since KP will miss most of the 2019 season)
Kawhi (top it off by adding Kawhi who is truly an elite defender)

I would put this collection of defenders and defense against any offense in the NBA including Golden State's and I like my chances.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/10/2018  8:13 AM
I heard an iterview that Fiz prescribes to the old school philosophy:
“You score more points than your opponent, you will 100% of the time by playing good defense and offense”.

I made that up. But, you take that and you sound brilliant!!

knicks1248
5/10/2018  8:29 AM
arkrud wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:

It takes a long time when you have the wrong people handling things. Houston has one player they drafted clint capela, the rest are from trades, MDA has been there 3 yrs, and they are conteneders.

Not to mention fast pace MDA system is now one of the slowest, Both paul and Harden are half court players

ES
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
5/10/2018  9:08 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
martin wrote:

I think its the best way to become competitive, especially with Porzingis and Frank. We are basically one wing away from being a top 10 defensive team. However this team is still a long way away from being a legit contender

I think drafted Mikal Bridges and having KP, Frank, and Bridges in the lineup make us a top 5 defensive team very soon. Having guys like Hardaway and Burke will help take the offensive pressure off of KP, but it will be important to add another big time scoring forward. Something like KP, Tabias Harris, Bridges, Hardaway, and Ntilikina with Burke at 6th man is something that can work in today's game. Positionless offense team and top 5 defensive team. How far a team like that goes in the playoffs ultimately depends on Bridges and Frank development.

knicks1248
5/10/2018  10:27 AM
Knixkik wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
martin wrote:

I think drafted Mikal Bridges and having KP, Frank, and Bridges in the lineup make us a top 5 defensive team very soon. Having guys like Hardaway and Burke will help take the offensive pressure off of KP, but it will be important to add another big time scoring forward. Something like KP, Tabias Harris, Bridges, Hardaway, and Ntilikina with Burke at 6th man is something that can work in today's game. Positionless offense team and top 5 defensive team. How far a team like that goes in the playoffs ultimately depends on Bridges and Frank development.

burke is our starting PG, that's a given

ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/10/2018  10:45 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
arkrud wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:

It takes a long time when you have the wrong people handling things. Houston has one player they drafted clint capela, the rest are from trades, MDA has been there 3 yrs, and they are conteneders.

Not to mention fast pace MDA system is now one of the slowest, Both paul and Harden are half court players

Your no doubt a "coach can make a difference" kind of guy.
Your boy Mills was not here when MDA was so you can't throw him under the bus.
When MDA got here he had a nice roster and an in prime Melo.
So here this coach with a great rep from PHX failed so bad to get "into their heads" and coach them.
What do you think he failed?
Perhaps the same with Larry Brown? HOF fame with massive cred over many years.

Knixkik
USA
5/10/2018  11:25 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
martin wrote:

Next year most likely, but long-term i think Frank starts and Burke is 6th man.

Cartman718
Member: #1694

5/10/2018  12:23 PM
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
martin wrote:

i doubt he starts for any long period honestly. defensive liability
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Knixkik
USA
5/10/2018  12:39 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
martin wrote:

i doubt he starts for any long period honestly. defensive liability

I bet Burke, Frank, and Hardaway all start together next year. Burke is a defensive liability, but having Frank next to him helps.

I am warming up to the Fizdale hiring

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy