[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The playoffs are showing a basic recipe for success.
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
4/29/2018  8:29 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/29/2018  8:31 AM
The unexpected hot teams have a couple of basic things in common. New Orleans (Davis and holiday) Philly (Simmons and embiid) and Utah (Mitchell and gobert) are 3 teams built around a guard/big combo who are both excellent 2 way players. Teams like Portland and okc, built primarily around elite scoring but defensively inefficient players got exposed. Another common factor is teams like Utah and new Orleans both start multiple lead guards together, which works if they have the versatility defensively. With KP and ntlikina, we can model our team this way. But it comes down to Frank's development. That is probably the most important thing moving forward. He and KP can develop into our version of Davis and holiday and give us that sort of potential. That's my hope really. I'm glad our best prospects are 2 way talents and I hope that trend continues as we add talent. No more weak defensive players. As soon as playoffs hit we see what players have stood out and what they have in common.
AUTOADVERT
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

4/29/2018  9:21 AM
To me it's simple. Two way players and lots of them
GS has so much depth, few teams can push them. I think they'll beat Houston, because they play defense and Houston doesn't.
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
4/29/2018  10:28 AM
Passing and three/ defense
Knixkik
USA
4/29/2018  2:35 PM
Vmart wrote:Passing and three/ defense

Absolutely. Particularly with the supporting casts. The theme for teams excelling in playoffs (some unexpectedly) is 2 elite 2-way players surrounded by role players with a combination of shooting, defense, and ball movers.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/29/2018  10:08 PM
actually I think the model is simple- have the most talent and have the best player on the court for the series.

I think basketball is the one team sport where the best single player usually wins.

Lebron. Michael Jordan. Duncan. Shaq/Kobe.

Look at who wins- it is the generational talent.

Utah's nice, but they ain't winning.

New Orleans was a surprise, but they ain't winning.

Golden State vs. Houston is the real finals match up. Whoever wins that, despite what Briggs says, is going to crush the East.

The process wasn't about just losing and stocking up on good players. It was finding the generational talent.

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
4/29/2018  11:10 PM
franco12 wrote:actually I think the model is simple- have the most talent and have the best player on the court for the series.

I think basketball is the one team sport where the best single player usually wins.

Golden State vs. Houston is the real finals match up. Whoever wins that, despite what Briggs says, is going to crush the East.

The process wasn't about just losing and stocking up on good players. It was finding the generational talent.

I agree.

knicks1248
Member: #582
4/30/2018  8:53 AM
Vmart wrote:
franco12 wrote:actually I think the model is simple- have the most talent and have the best player on the court for the series.

I agree.

definitely need 2 guys, Labron isn't doing by himself, neither can kobe, mike, wilt, hakeem, shaq, ewing.

At the end of the day, it still take a 2 to make it right, coaching and roll(the kerrs, avery johnson, horry types ), players.

ES
Knixkik
USA
4/30/2018  9:16 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/30/2018  9:17 AM
Vmart wrote:

I agree.

Not really true though. Having a top 3 player in the league, sure. But i'm talking about playoff success up to this point, not necessarily winning a title. No one will say Mitchell is a better player than Westbrook. And maybe not PG3 yet either. Boston doesn't have a player as good as the Greek Freak. But westbrook is a poor defensive player and OKC doesn't have a true 2-way big man. Boston has Rozier and Horford both playing at elite levels on both ends. Bucks lack a good 2-way big man. Elite 2-way guard, elite 2-way big, and good role players. If 2 teams are relatively evenly matched, the makeup of the team with these factors has been the difference many times. I'm praying KP and Frank can become this winning combo.

MS
Member: #724
4/30/2018  11:15 AM
Recipe of success is not giving contracts to the likes of Ron Baker, Lance Thomas and Noah and tying up cap space in guys that aren't difference makers and give you a couple of extra wins here and there in order to sabotage your draft position.

We need guys that fit roles on smart deals. We did good grabbing a guy like Burke, Beasely, Jack etc. Role players that fit roles on 1 year deals. These guys are out there every year.

If we draft a player like Bridges this year we can start to build a defensive culture and have the players in place that will do the dirty work when we have some cap space to bring in a real difference makers.

This year should be about maximizing guys like Lee, Hardaway, Noah so we can find ways to move them. Play Frank big minutes, play our rookie big minutes and let them grow.

The Pacers somehow were able to get two budding stars trading a guy on a free agent deal. We have to look to the future and see how we beat them, Boston and Philly. We are way behind each of those teams and need to start being smart.

djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
4/30/2018  11:35 AM

is your definition of success championship or bust? or perceived championship or bust?

you quickly dismiss utah and new orleans - if you were hired the GM of those teams today, what would you do? would you look to add or tear it down?

fwk00
Member: #6048

4/30/2018  12:28 PM
MS wrote:Recipe of success is not giving contracts to the likes of Ron Baker, Lance Thomas and Noah and tying up cap space in guys that aren't difference makers and give you a couple of extra wins here and there in order to sabotage your draft position.

We need guys that fit roles on smart deals. We did good grabbing a guy like Burke, Beasely, Jack etc. Role players that fit roles on 1 year deals. These guys are out there every year.

If we draft a player like Bridges this year we can start to build a defensive culture and have the players in place that will do the dirty work when we have some cap space to bring in a real difference makers.

This year should be about maximizing guys like Lee, Hardaway, Noah so we can find ways to move them. Play Frank big minutes, play our rookie big minutes and let them grow.

The Pacers somehow were able to get two budding stars trading a guy on a free agent deal. We have to look to the future and see how we beat them, Boston and Philly. We are way behind each of those teams and need to start being smart.

Allow me to correct your logic. Baker, Thomas, and Noah epitomize the kind of team and culture you are trying to create. If you do not reward them then you are shooting yourself in the foot. Playing hard, playing defense, playing for the team and coach, leaving it on the floor - all that stuff matters and players get it.

I can't even wrap my head around these tank discussions. You cannot build a winning culture on the back of trying to lose. And its obvious that who you pick matters much more than where you pick.

And we already have started building a defensive culture. The idea that we haven't means you don't watch games, understand Frankie, Baker, Thomas, the departure of Willie, and so on.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
4/30/2018  12:33 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:To me it's simple. Two way players and lots of them
GS has so much depth, few teams can push them. I think they'll beat Houston, because they play defense and Houston doesn't.

+1
I will hate the NBA and its Illuminati if Houston gets to the Finals on the back of Harden's FTAs.
Knixkik
USA
4/30/2018  1:35 PM
djsunyc wrote:

is your definition of success championship or bust? or perceived championship or bust?

you quickly dismiss utah and new orleans - if you were hired the GM of those teams today, what would you do? would you look to add or tear it down?

My thought exactly. If it's championship or bust, you need one of the best players in the league at any given time, plus additional stars. But if you're trying to become a good team first, and build on that, then there are plenty of other ways to build. New Orleans and Utah should continue to build on what they have. They are showing that 2-way players at key positions will always trump teams led by flawed stars, even if there is more overall talent. Davis/Holiday are the foundation to their success. Mitchell/Gobert in Utah. Simmons/Embiid in philly. The common theme are all teams have a ball handler/big man combo that are elite on both sides of the ball. Utah and New Orleans both beat more talented teams with this foundation.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

4/30/2018  2:21 PM
I used to think it it was championship or bust... was I ever wrong. I really miss the days of making it to the 2nd round or the ECF year in, year out
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
MS
Member: #724
4/30/2018  2:41 PM
Allow me to correct your logic.

You don't give Noah, Baker (Justin Holiday was better and signed for less) or Thomas deals, because they are a dime a dozen players. We don't have stars, so you don't pay role players. Lance Thomas is making 7MM next season Ron Baker 4.5MM those guys should barely be on a roster, let alone taking up 11.5MM in salary. Noah couldn't stay healthy before we signed him so I am just confused why you think you reward these guys because they try.

Burke was had for nothing. Same with Beasley. You only reward role players when they are within a championship or playoff roster.

Look at the following one year deals signed last offseason, all were a position of need for the Knicks.

Rondo - $3.3MM
KCP - $18MM
Tyreke Evans - $3.2MM
Reddick - $23MM

You don't rush to sign guys that aren't in demand, nor do you tie up room on guys that aren't producing wins. The three guys you said are exactly the guys you reward can't score and aren't elite defenders.

Explain the defensive culture we are building with Burke, Hardaway (Rudy Gay 2 years 17MM, player option), Kanter, Kornet. Are we a top 15 defensive team in this league? No. Top 20, no.

Knixkik
USA
4/30/2018  2:48 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:I used to think it it was championship or bust... was I ever wrong. I really miss the days of making it to the 2nd round or the ECF year in, year out

Me too. It gives hope to build on. I'm encouraged we can get there with a core built around KP. We will need significantly more to win a title, but i want to get to become a playoff team first.

Cartman718
Member: #1694

4/30/2018  3:31 PM

except that there's no defense for harden's step back J, quite lethal from all over the court.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/30/2018  3:54 PM
djsunyc wrote:

I'm dismissing Utah and New Orleans as far as advancing this year. I was surprised New Orleans was as good as they were this year.

Success is by definition, winning it all.

I don't know enough about either Utah or NOP's roster as to weather they should tear it down. But I understand how going to ownership and saying - I want to trade Anthony Davis because we can't win with him is going to get you fired.

I wonder if that is legit what Phil did with KP & Dolan.

Look- Detroit, Dallas all won with 'less than'. They both kinda got lucky against better teams - the Lakers were at war and falling apart and Miami was just starting to get it together.

We need more talent.

KP looked like a generational talent for the first ten games. I mean, if he can grow his body and sustain that kind of play, we can certainly hope for play offs and more.

Knixkik
USA
4/30/2018  4:44 PM
franco12 wrote:
djsunyc wrote:

I'm dismissing Utah and New Orleans as far as advancing this year. I was surprised New Orleans was as good as they were this year.

Success is by definition, winning it all.

I don't know enough about either Utah or NOP's roster as to weather they should tear it down. But I understand how going to ownership and saying - I want to trade Anthony Davis because we can't win with him is going to get you fired.

I wonder if that is legit what Phil did with KP & Dolan.

Look- Detroit, Dallas all won with 'less than'. They both kinda got lucky against better teams - the Lakers were at war and falling apart and Miami was just starting to get it together.

We need more talent.

KP looked like a generational talent for the first ten games. I mean, if he can grow his body and sustain that kind of play, we can certainly hope for play offs and more.

KP will always look like a generational talent for certain stretches. Obviously health is the big concern, but never the talent. We can only hope his health cooperates where he can play 65-70 games a year at a high level and be ready for playoffs.

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
4/30/2018  6:41 PM

Moute, Tucker, Paul, Ariza etc all play D as does Capela.
It should be a great western conf final

The playoffs are showing a basic recipe for success.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy