[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

what did the knicks ACTUALLY get for Melo?
Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
4/24/2018  2:13 PM
A second round pick?

Kanter who will opt out (and caused us to ditch Billy?)

AUTOADVERT
wargames
Member: #6053

4/24/2018  2:17 PM
Caseloads wrote:A second round pick?

Cap Space and in theory KP was suppose to develop (Then he got injured......)

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
4/24/2018  2:39 PM

Do you really think he will opt out of all that money when very few teams have cap space? But to answer your question, we didn't get any definite long-term pieces, if that's what you mean. But it was about moving on and starting a new chapter. The vibes with this team were much better until injuries and Melo has been really bad in OKC, which means we dealt him at the right time.

MS
Member: #724
4/24/2018  2:53 PM
If the Knicks do the right thing (highly unlikely) and draft Bridges and allow him to grow, play and learn at the 3 spot then the trade will be a success.

We cleared his salary for this upcoming season, which is addition by subtraction. He's a shell of himself and still thinks he's an all star player.

Again, unfortunately Steve Mills acted like a guy with no experience and instead of giving out a one year deal to Rondo, KCP or Evans he signed Hardaway and Ron Baker to insane deals, eating up cap space.

Kanter is unlikely to get a multi-year deal, the money will go to cousins, capela and Jordan. Teams aren't relying on centers, especially in the playoffs with the exceptions of a couple of teams, so it was a nice one year test drive. So maybe the trade was a wash or a small win. It's just nice to finally make a deal as a franchise and not be the loser.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/24/2018  2:57 PM
When you are dealing with an aging star with an NTC, what we didnt get for Melo made this deal a winner. Perry pumped the brakes on trading Melo for long term baggage, and found a deal that got us one of the best low post players in the league, on a short term deal. If Bud gets the job, I will be interested in hearing what his views on Kanter are.
blkexec
Member: #748
4/24/2018  2:58 PM
Knixkik wrote:

Do you really think he will opt out of all that money when very few teams have cap space? But to answer your question, we didn't get any definite long-term pieces, if that's what you mean. But it was about moving on and starting a new chapter. The vibes with this team were much better until injuries and Melo has been really bad in OKC, which means we dealt him at the right time.

Well.....We should've never had him.....But Dolan jumped in. We already had Amari averaging 30 during that long stretch.

Ann....We should've never resigned him to a NTC

I never been a melo fan because they exist at every court. and I hate playing with those dudes. When they don't score efficiantly and get scored on consistently.

We will see if Dolan steps in again. ..or let someone else finally drive through these draft picks and free agency period

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
smackeddog
Member: #883
4/24/2018  3:02 PM
We got rid of melo--that was the point and we didn't take on any long term salary in the process
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/24/2018  3:46 PM
easier answer.... more than what OKC got. Dude's got a rep for being a poor playoff performer and his first trip back he's just terrible. not having to pay him $28mm next year to be "the man" while he holds the ball is worth it. Knicks are poised to take a nice step forward next year
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knixkik
USA
4/24/2018  3:52 PM
fishmike wrote:easier answer.... more than what OKC got. Dude's got a rep for being a poor playoff performer and his first trip back he's just terrible. not having to pay him $28mm next year to be "the man" while he holds the ball is worth it. Knicks are poised to take a nice step forward next year

It's easy to be down after this year, but Knicks do have a nice group moving forward. Porzingis, Ntilikina, Hardaway, Burke, and 2018 1st round pick is a great core group. What we need to do is find a 2nd star to put alongside Porzingis without sacrificing any piece from the core listed. Hardaway is a solid 3rd scorer. Ntilikina should be a fantastic 2-way role player and long-term starter. Burke looks like he will be a nice playmaking guard moving forward. We need that number 1A or 1B guy and the rest will fall into place.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/24/2018  3:55 PM
GustavBahler wrote:When you are dealing with an aging star with an NTC, what we didnt get for Melo made this deal a winner. Perry pumped the brakes on trading Melo for long term baggage, and found a deal that got us one of the best low post players in the league, on a short term deal. If Bud gets the job, I will be interested in hearing what his views on Kanter are.
Well said. Melo will make 28 mil next year. Finding a destination that Melo would accept without taking back horrible contracts was a big win. Also, Olympic Melo appears to have left the building. OKC has a big salary on their cap with not much to show for it. I hope for Melo's sake they find away to get by the Jazz but I don't think they will.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/24/2018  4:00 PM
Knixkik wrote:
fishmike wrote:easier answer.... more than what OKC got. Dude's got a rep for being a poor playoff performer and his first trip back he's just terrible. not having to pay him $28mm next year to be "the man" while he holds the ball is worth it. Knicks are poised to take a nice step forward next year

It's easy to be down after this year, but Knicks do have a nice group moving forward. Porzingis, Ntilikina, Hardaway, Burke, and 2018 1st round pick is a great core group. What we need to do is find a 2nd star to put alongside Porzingis without sacrificing any piece from the core listed. Hardaway is a solid 3rd scorer. Ntilikina should be a fantastic 2-way role player and long-term starter. Burke looks like he will be a nice playmaking guard moving forward. We need that number 1A or 1B guy and the rest will fall into place.

Not down at all. That group of players is not very good! But I like how we have gotten them and the types of guys we are bringing in and keeping. I can be patient. I am super bullish on Frank and KP. The rest its wait and see. Fingers crossed on Burke also. Hopefully they lock him into something longer before the season starts
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knixkik
USA
4/24/2018  4:28 PM
fishmike wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Not down at all. That group of players is not very good! But I like how we have gotten them and the types of guys we are bringing in and keeping. I can be patient. I am super bullish on Frank and KP. The rest its wait and see. Fingers crossed on Burke also. Hopefully they lock him into something longer before the season starts

I agree with you. It all starts with KP and Frank. Hopefully we can put the rest together and catch some breaks.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/24/2018  5:55 PM

Yeah, I was going to say, "More than OKC got out of Melo"
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

4/24/2018  7:03 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:

Yeah, I was going to say, "More than OKC got out of Melo"

That, and it was pretty nice to be free of the Melodrama

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
knicks1248
Member: #582
4/24/2018  7:20 PM
Knixkik wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

I agree with you. It all starts with KP and Frank. Hopefully we can put the rest together and catch some breaks.

I wish i had as much faith as you guys. In 3 seasons KP is avg 55 games, and frank is 3 yrs away from being good, these are role players your talking about here. We have to put equal to better talent around them if you really want them to shine.

5 wks into the season he was complaining of fatigue and his production showed that, his shooting % nose dived. Like Melo, KP is not franchise, but a solid piece, and if we continue to put lesser talent around him 1 of 3 thing are definitely going to happen

1)injuries
2)he will become very inefficient (thinking he has to carry the team)
3)or he will bounce for greener pastures.

Putting G league and role players around these 2, your killing them and your wasting your time because these aren't alpha male players

ES
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

4/24/2018  7:59 PM
MS wrote:If the Knicks do the right thing (highly unlikely) and draft Bridges and allow him to grow, play and learn at the 3 spot then the trade will be a success.

We cleared his salary for this upcoming season, which is addition by subtraction. He's a shell of himself and still thinks he's an all star player.

Again, unfortunately Steve Mills acted like a guy with no experience and instead of giving out a one year deal to Rondo, KCP or Evans he signed Hardaway and Ron Baker to insane deals, eating up cap space.

Kanter is unlikely to get a multi-year deal, the money will go to cousins, capela and Jordan. Teams aren't relying on centers, especially in the playoffs with the exceptions of a couple of teams, so it was a nice one year test drive. So maybe the trade was a wash or a small win. It's just nice to finally make a deal as a franchise and not be the loser.

Yep that was the killer, signing Hardaway with a 4 yea deal was brutal. I still can't believe he didn't stay firm on 3 years. His deal should of expired when Noah's deal did.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
4/24/2018  8:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/24/2018  8:49 PM
Peace of mind
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/24/2018  9:03 PM

Fair Value.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/24/2018  11:33 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

I wish i had as much faith as you guys. In 3 seasons KP is avg 55 games, and frank is 3 yrs away from being good, these are role players your talking about here. We have to put equal to better talent around them if you really want them to shine.

5 wks into the season he was complaining of fatigue and his production showed that, his shooting % nose dived. Like Melo, KP is not franchise, but a solid piece, and if we continue to put lesser talent around him 1 of 3 thing are definitely going to happen

1)injuries
2)he will become very inefficient (thinking he has to carry the team)
3)or he will bounce for greener pastures.

Putting G league and role players around these 2, your killing them and your wasting your time because these aren't alpha male players

The injury to KP is unfortunate but it doesn’t guarantee that he won’t overcome it and go on to have a great full career. As for KP’s fatigue, he is anemic and maybe they need to adjust his vitamins and nutrients.

The good news is that when Frank n KP were on the floor together they performed at a high level. Both are still developing and will get better as they mature and sharpen skills. That’s a nice start to build on.

From what I can see KP won’t have to feel he has no help on this team. Burke, THJ and developing kids like Frank and Dotson are capable players. Gotta see how things work out in the Draft n Free Agency. This team isn’t starting at zero!

knicks1248
Member: #582
4/25/2018  8:30 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:When you are dealing with an aging star with an NTC, what we didnt get for Melo made this deal a winner. Perry pumped the brakes on trading Melo for long term baggage, and found a deal that got us one of the best low post players in the league, on a short term deal. If Bud gets the job, I will be interested in hearing what his views on Kanter are.
Well said. Melo will make 28 mil next year. Finding a destination that Melo would accept without taking back horrible contracts was a big win. Also, Olympic Melo appears to have left the building. OKC has a big salary on their cap with not much to show for it. I hope for Melo's sake they find away to get by the Jazz but I don't think they will.

The trade did nothing for us, we still sucked and are over the cap until 2019 the exact yr his contract expires.

The only reason I'm glad he's gone is to show that he had nothing to do with the losing culture, the trade solved nothing other than a "peace of mind".

ES

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy