joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
4/24/2018  3:27 PM
Knixkik wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:If we drafted a rookie PG who put up 15/5/5/1 his first year in the league under a very demanding coach, most here would have been psyched. Thats what Smith jr. did his rookie year, in spite of some posters trying to paint him as an And1 freak show.

If we get Budenholzer, I believe the sky's the limit for Frank. Might even be able to make a PG out of him.

Mitchell wins games, Dennis Smith Jr doesn't really (at this stage)- it always felt like he put up empty stats that had no bearing on the game. Thats why I'm not sweating passing up on DS Jr, however I am bummed that we missed out on Mitchell.

Yeah, that 15 and 5 wouldn't have cut it in on a winning team once you look at efficiency etc. Right now, he still is kind of an And1 freakshow. He's young and has potential, but the stats are a bit overblown in his situation.

DSjr was inefficient offensively and poor defensively. Even if he becomes a very good scorer, he still probably remains a 1-way player. Mitchell is a 2 way star. Frank at least has 2-way potential that Smith doesn't have.

Smith is a non factor. He made it nearly impossible for the Knicks to draft him. Alan Hahn said on his show Lebron was in his ear about how bad NY was (because of Jax feud possibly-Hahn words not mine). Smith's refusal to supply medical records OR let NY examine him was his way of telling them not to draft him.

~You can't run from who you are.~
AUTOADVERT
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
4/24/2018  3:29 PM
1/30/2001: Knicks acquire Othella Harrington in exchange for Erick Strickland, a 2001 first-rounder (Jamaal Tinsley), and a 2001 second-rounder (Antonis Fotsis)

2/22/2001: Knicks acquire Mark Jackson and Muggsy Bogues in exchange for Chris Childs and a 2002 first-rounder (Kareem Rush). I remember exactly where I was when this happened, and I'm pretty sure I remember SportsCenter mistakenly saying it was MARC Jackson the first time it ran through the ticker.

8/10/2001: Knicks acquire Shandon Anderson and Howard Eisley in exchange for Glen Rice, Muggsy Bogues, and "future considerations" which have evidently yet to be fulfilled...

6/26/2002: Knicks acquire Antonio McDyess, the rights to Frank Williams, and a 2003 second-rounder (****ing Maciej Lampe) in exchange for Marcus Camby, Mark Jackson, and the rights to Nene, back when he was still Maybner Hilario. THIS WAS NOT THE BEST TRADE EVER.

7/23/2003: Knicks acquire Keith Van Horn in exchange for Latrell Sprewell (part of a four-team deal)

12/30/2003: Knicks acquire Moochie Norris and John Amaechi in exchange for Clarence Weatherspoon.

1/5/2004: Knicks acquire Stephon Marbury, Penny Hardaway, and Cezary Trybanski in exchange for Antonio McDyess, Howard Eisley, Maciej Lampe, Charlie Ward, the rights to Milos Vujanic, a 2004 first-rounder (Kirk Snyder) and a heavily protected first-rounder that eventually became Gordon Hayward in 2010. Oh, and $3 million.

2/15/2004: Knicks acquire Tim Thomas and Nazr Mohammed in exchange for Keith Van Horn, Michael Doleac, and a 2005 second-rounder (Ronny Turiaf!).

8/5/2004: Knicks acquire Jamal Crawford and Jerome Williams in exchange for Othella Harrington, Frank Williams, Dikembe Mutombo, and Cezary Trybanski. (This is one of those where it's important to remember that Crawford was signed-and-traded. (Seven years, $56 million, y'all).)

10/4/2004: Knicks sign Mengke Bateer. Not a trade, but still the best.

2/24/2005: Knicks acquire Malik Rose, a 2005 first-rounder (David Lee), a 2006 first-rounder (Mardy Collins), and cash in exchange for Nazr Mohammed and Jamison Brewer.

2/24/2005: Knicks acquire Maurice Taylor in exchange for Moochie Norris, Vin Baker, and a 2006 second-rounder (Steve Novak!).

6/28/2005: Knicks acquire Quentin Richardson and the rights to Nate Robinson in exchange for Kurt Thomas and the rights to Dijon Thompson.

10/4/2005: Knicks acquire Eddy Curry, Antonio Davis, and the right to swap 2007 first-rounders with the Bulls (ended up being Wilson Chandler) in exchange for Tim Thomas, Mike Sweetney, Jermaine Jackson, pick swaps in 2006 and 2007 that ended up being LaMarcus Aldridge and Joakim Noah, a 2007 second-rounder (Kyrylo Fesenko), and a 2009 second-rounder (Jon Brockman). ONE OF THE WORST TRADES IN NBA HISTORY

2/3/2006: Knicks acquire Jalen Rose and a 2006 first-rounder (Renaldo Balkman!) for Antonio Davis. (Recall that Rose was due like $30 million between '06 and '07.

2/22/2006: Knicks acquire Steve Francis in exchange for Trevor Ariza and Penny Hardaway

6/28/2007: Knicks acquire Zach Randolph, Fred Jones, Dan Dickau, and the rights to Demetris Nichols in exchange for Steve Francis, Channing Frye, and a 2008 second-rounder (Omer Asik).

7/28/2007: Knicks acquire Taurean Green, Bobby Jones, and a 2010 second-rounder (Andy Rautins) in exchange for Renaldo Balkman.

11/21/2008: Knicks acquire Al Harrington in exchange for Jamal Crawford.

11/21/2008: Knicks acquire Tim Thomas and Cuttino Mobley in exchange for Zach Randolph and Mardy Collins. That was a weird day.

2/19/2009: Knicks acquire Larry Hughes in exchange for Tim Thomas, Jerome James, and Anthony Roberson.

2/19/2009: Knicks acquire Chris Wilcox in exchange for Malik Rose and cash considerations. That was a weird day, too.

6/25/2009: Knicks acquire Darko Milicic in exchange for Quentin Richardson and cash.

2/17/2010: Knicks acquire Brian Cardinal in exchange for Darko Milicic and cash.

2/18/2010: Knicks acquire Eddie House, J.R. Giddens, Bill Walker, and a top-55 protected 2014 second-rounder in exchange for Nate Robinson and Marcus Landry.

2/18/2010: Knicks acquire Tracy McGrady and Sergio Rodriguez in exchange for Jordan Hill, Jared Jeffries, and a heavily conditional pick that eventually became Royce White this year.

7/9/2010: Knicks acquire Ronny Turiaf, Kelenna Azubuike, and Anthony Randolph in exchange for David Lee. (That seemed like an amazing sign-and-trade at the time, didn't it? Still better than letting Lee walk for free.)

2/22/2011: Knicks acquire Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Renaldo Balkman, Anthony Carter, Shelden Williams, and Corey Brewer in exchange for Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Timofey Mozgov, and every pick ever.

7/11/2012: Knicks acquire Marcus Camby in exchange for Toney Douglas, Jerome Jordan, Josh Harrellson, a 2014 second-rounder, and a 2015 second-rounder.

7/15/2012: Knicks acquire Raymond Felton and Kurt Thomas in exchange for Jared Jeffries, Dan Gadzuric, the rights to Kostas Papanikolaou, the rights to Giorgios Printezis, a 2016 second-rounder, and cash considerations.

-Two potentially good deals in 12 years above.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/24/2018  3:42 PM
Mitchell, DSJ, Monk or Frank. Those were the options left. All good options for different reasons. This isn’t a perfect science. There was no perfect pick. DM really put things together and he’s F’n TWENTYONE!!! So sure he looks like the obvious pick but you can’t just ignore his age in comparison to the other prospects.

Frank is a different animal from the others. It’s pretty clear he’s not the same offensively as the others. Still he has amazing versatility as a LONG and BIG PG that has yet to fully develop and fill out. He doesn’t have a Primary Scorer mentality so the others can look more exciting but that’s missing the point of why the Knicks chose Frank. He’s got Elite Defender potential which is what they wanted.

He’s more of a willing passer than the others too. As Frank develops he’s going to have a major impact on both ends. Mitchell wasn’t wanted at 19. It wasn’t clear he’d put it all together. Even on draft night it still wasn’t clear. If DM was what he is now at 19 there’s no way he’s not a top pick. Now at 21 he’s a great young player so who’s to say Frank doesn’t make huge leaps over the next 2 years! He’s not going to be DM but rather his own unique player.

knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
4/24/2018  7:01 PM
I agree with the points made on this board - that while we did miss on Mitchell, I'm happy with Frank. And if we had drafted Mitchell, I doubt we would have been able to develop him the way Utah had. Utah has the pieces and system in place to bring out the best in DM. We're not there yet. Also I didn't realize his wingspan was 6'10". That's a very big deal. It sucks we passed on him, but Frank still has potential. I'm more upset about the contract we gave THjr - I don't think he's that good... he's probably a 4th option or a bench scorer on a championship team.
Rose is not the answer.
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

4/24/2018  7:29 PM
I was lamenting picking Frank all year but the last few weeks of the season he started to come on. Will he be as good as Mitchell? Doubtful but I think we will be ok.
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
4/24/2018  7:44 PM
MS wrote:1/30/2001: Knicks acquire Othella Harrington in exchange for Erick Strickland, a 2001 first-rounder (Jamaal Tinsley), and a 2001 second-rounder (Antonis Fotsis)

2/22/2001: Knicks acquire Mark Jackson and Muggsy Bogues in exchange for Chris Childs and a 2002 first-rounder (Kareem Rush). I remember exactly where I was when this happened, and I'm pretty sure I remember SportsCenter mistakenly saying it was MARC Jackson the first time it ran through the ticker.

8/10/2001: Knicks acquire Shandon Anderson and Howard Eisley in exchange for Glen Rice, Muggsy Bogues, and "future considerations" which have evidently yet to be fulfilled...

6/26/2002: Knicks acquire Antonio McDyess, the rights to Frank Williams, and a 2003 second-rounder (****ing Maciej Lampe) in exchange for Marcus Camby, Mark Jackson, and the rights to Nene, back when he was still Maybner Hilario. THIS WAS NOT THE BEST TRADE EVER.

7/23/2003: Knicks acquire Keith Van Horn in exchange for Latrell Sprewell (part of a four-team deal)

12/30/2003: Knicks acquire Moochie Norris and John Amaechi in exchange for Clarence Weatherspoon.

1/5/2004: Knicks acquire Stephon Marbury, Penny Hardaway, and Cezary Trybanski in exchange for Antonio McDyess, Howard Eisley, Maciej Lampe, Charlie Ward, the rights to Milos Vujanic, a 2004 first-rounder (Kirk Snyder) and a heavily protected first-rounder that eventually became Gordon Hayward in 2010. Oh, and $3 million.

2/15/2004: Knicks acquire Tim Thomas and Nazr Mohammed in exchange for Keith Van Horn, Michael Doleac, and a 2005 second-rounder (Ronny Turiaf!).

8/5/2004: Knicks acquire Jamal Crawford and Jerome Williams in exchange for Othella Harrington, Frank Williams, Dikembe Mutombo, and Cezary Trybanski. (This is one of those where it's important to remember that Crawford was signed-and-traded. (Seven years, $56 million, y'all).)

2/24/2005: Knicks acquire Malik Rose, a 2005 first-rounder (David Lee), a 2006 first-rounder (Mardy Collins), and cash in exchange for Nazr Mohammed and Jamison Brewer.

2/24/2005: Knicks acquire Maurice Taylor in exchange for Moochie Norris, Vin Baker, and a 2006 second-rounder (Steve Novak!).

6/28/2005: Knicks acquire Quentin Richardson and the rights to Nate Robinson in exchange for Kurt Thomas and the rights to Dijon Thompson.

10/4/2005: Knicks acquire Eddy Curry, Antonio Davis, and the right to swap 2007 first-rounders with the Bulls (ended up being Wilson Chandler) in exchange for Tim Thomas, Mike Sweetney, Jermaine Jackson, pick swaps in 2006 and 2007 that ended up being LaMarcus Aldridge and Joakim Noah, a 2007 second-rounder (Kyrylo Fesenko), and a 2009 second-rounder (Jon Brockman). ONE OF THE WORST TRADES IN NBA HISTORY

2/3/2006: Knicks acquire Jalen Rose and a 2006 first-rounder (Renaldo Balkman!) for Antonio Davis. (Recall that Rose was due like $30 million between '06 and '07.

2/22/2006: Knicks acquire Steve Francis in exchange for Trevor Ariza and Penny Hardaway

6/28/2007: Knicks acquire Zach Randolph, Fred Jones, Dan Dickau, and the rights to Demetris Nichols in exchange for Steve Francis, Channing Frye, and a 2008 second-rounder (Omer Asik).

7/28/2007: Knicks acquire Taurean Green, Bobby Jones, and a 2010 second-rounder (Andy Rautins) in exchange for Renaldo Balkman.

11/21/2008: Knicks acquire Tim Thomas and Cuttino Mobley in exchange for Zach Randolph and Mardy Collins. That was a weird day.

2/19/2009: Knicks acquire Larry Hughes in exchange for Tim Thomas, Jerome James, and Anthony Roberson.

2/19/2009: Knicks acquire Chris Wilcox in exchange for Malik Rose and cash considerations. That was a weird day, too.

6/25/2009: Knicks acquire Darko Milicic in exchange for Quentin Richardson and cash.

2/17/2010: Knicks acquire Brian Cardinal in exchange for Darko Milicic and cash.

2/18/2010: Knicks acquire Eddie House, J.R. Giddens, Bill Walker, and a top-55 protected 2014 second-rounder in exchange for Nate Robinson and Marcus Landry.

2/18/2010: Knicks acquire Tracy McGrady and Sergio Rodriguez in exchange for Jordan Hill, Jared Jeffries, and a heavily conditional pick that eventually became Royce White this year.

7/9/2010: Knicks acquire Ronny Turiaf, Kelenna Azubuike, and Anthony Randolph in exchange for David Lee. (That seemed like an amazing sign-and-trade at the time, didn't it? Still better than letting Lee walk for free.)

2/22/2011: Knicks acquire Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Renaldo Balkman, Anthony Carter, Shelden Williams, and Corey Brewer in exchange for Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Timofey Mozgov, and every pick ever.

7/11/2012: Knicks acquire Marcus Camby in exchange for Toney Douglas, Jerome Jordan, Josh Harrellson, a 2014 second-rounder, and a 2015 second-rounder.

7/15/2012: Knicks acquire Raymond Felton and Kurt Thomas in exchange for Jared Jeffries, Dan Gadzuric, the rights to Kostas Papanikolaou, the rights to Giorgios Printezis, a 2016 second-rounder, and cash considerations.

wow what a trip down memory lane.

some good lines too. my favorite:

"2/22/2011: Knicks acquire Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Renaldo Balkman, Anthony Carter, Shelden Williams, and Corey Brewer in exchange for Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Timofey Mozgov, and every pick ever."

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/24/2018  8:50 PM
What if frank was on Utah, and had an impact, not the same, but a big impact.
IF we take Mitchell, on this team as it was, and he avg. 10 pts.
Then would be “Man, that Frank is going to be something! Mitchell is good but PHil dozed on Frank.”
Knicks are not as good as Utah and there is a chemistry that was great for Mitchell, would it have been as such in NY?
We’ll never know, but you can see how the narrative can always tilt negative as a knick fan.
We all see the games, the teams record, and know the past.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/24/2018  9:06 PM
Nalod wrote:What if frank was on Utah, and had an impact, not the same, but a big impact.
IF we take Mitchell, on this team as it was, and he avg. 10 pts.
Then would be “Man, that Frank is going to be something! Mitchell is good but PHil dozed on Frank.”
Knicks are not as good as Utah and there is a chemistry that was great for Mitchell, would it have been as such in NY?
We’ll never know, but you can see how the narrative can always tilt negative as a knick fan.
We all see the games, the teams record, and know the past.
You should watch Mitchell play more. No way the narrative gets that tilted.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
fwk00
Member: #6048

4/24/2018  10:27 PM
Frankie was the right pick. A young unicorn who will improve year after year. Silly to second-guess this.
nixluva
USA
4/24/2018  10:55 PM
PERSPECTIVE! Mitchell is 21. He was not playing like this when he was 19, which is why he wasn’t in the draft at that age. Frank was drafted on potential. It’s not about what he is right now but what he can grow into. That said he’s not likely to have the same mentality as Mitchell. Frank is a more unselfish player who wants to setup his teammates. Just cuz he’s not a Primary scorer doesn’t mean he won’t become a very good player who can help this team win.
nixluva
USA
4/24/2018  11:03 PM
I have to wonder what Frank’s Standing Reach is cuz he is able to bother a 7’er flat footed!

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

4/24/2018  11:57 PM
12 other teams passed on Mitchell so it’s not like we were alone.

Nuggets drafted him and traded him for Trey Lyles and soft PF from Cuse...for me it is far worse knowing you drafted / then traded the kid.

He sure as hell looks like a STAR to me....reminds me of D-Wade with a 3 point shot.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

4/25/2018  7:57 AM
It will go down in Knicks lore because of threads like this?
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

4/25/2018  8:03 AM
nixluva wrote:I have to wonder what Frank’s Standing Reach is cuz he is able to bother a 7’er flat footed!

Damn nice,he needs to teach kp to stop biting on fakes.
He offensive game will come along,
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

4/25/2018  8:45 AM
Nalod wrote:I feel bad for some of you.
Lamenting the same thing over and over.......
14 other teams passed on Mitchell. Every year there are guys that do this.
But with you its "Knicks" passed over.

Utah miscued with Exum, makes it up with Mitchell.
They lost Haywood for nothing, made the room for Mitchell when the opportunity presented.
Philly missed with Noel and Oka4, makes it up with simmons and Emiiiiiiiid.
LA takes Russell, Philly takes Oka4, we get KP.
See how this works?
Measurments? You think that's how we decided?
BTW, y'all were on fire for smith or Monk. Mitchell was "Liked", but few are as excited about him as they are after he breaks out.

Nalod...good realist post. Fair poimts about percentages of success in the draft. But you sometimes forget forums are to talk **** and vent. Specially as Knick fans. Unless you think what we say on here will make any kind of difference in Knick land. We are all on this sinking piece of rusty 18ft., no engine, no captain, no compass piece of crap we call the Knicks. Point with some of us that picked Smith Jr and Mitchell over Franky is that if you were going for a player with higher upside you pick the kid that has shown it at every level in Smith. If you wanted a pick that better fit with the Phil/Triangle requirements, you pick Mitchell, who was brought in and had similar traits and was better known with more US intel and history. Fact remains, Frank was a Triangle pick and not the best player left in the draft. If we picked the best player left on the board, it would be easier to take the lumps.

Yeah, we can all stay quite and accept things that are in the past as insignificant but this Is A Fan board. Where else do you feel misteps and mistakes are going to be talked about? Think we all understand that nothing we talk about here is going to make any difference in Knick land.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
blkexec
Member: #748
4/25/2018  8:47 AM
Nalod wrote:Incessant whining and compulsive threads based on impressionable moments is an existing "lore".

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Nalod
USA
4/25/2018  8:57 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Nalod wrote:I feel bad for some of you.
Lamenting the same thing over and over.......
14 other teams passed on Mitchell. Every year there are guys that do this.
But with you its "Knicks" passed over.

Utah miscued with Exum, makes it up with Mitchell.
They lost Haywood for nothing, made the room for Mitchell when the opportunity presented.
Philly missed with Noel and Oka4, makes it up with simmons and Emiiiiiiiid.
LA takes Russell, Philly takes Oka4, we get KP.
See how this works?
Measurments? You think that's how we decided?
BTW, y'all were on fire for smith or Monk. Mitchell was "Liked", but few are as excited about him as they are after he breaks out.

Nalod...good realist post. Fair poimts about percentages of success in the draft. But you sometimes forget forums are to talk **** and vent. Specially as Knick fans. Unless you think what we say on here will make any kind of difference in Knick land. We are all on this sinking piece of rusty 18ft., no engine, no captain, no compass piece of crap we call the Knicks. Point with some of us that picked Smith Jr and Mitchell over Franky is that if you were going for a player with higher upside you pick the kid that has shown it at every level in Smith. If you wanted a pick that better fit with the Phil/Triangle requirements, you pick Mitchell, who was brought in and had similar traits and was better known with more US intel and history. Fact remains, Frank was a Triangle pick and not the best player left in the draft. If we picked the best player left on the board, it would be easier to take the lumps.

Yeah, we can all stay quite and accept things that are in the past as insignificant but this Is A Fan board. Where else do you feel misteps and mistakes are going to be talked about? Think we all understand that nothing we talk about here is going to make any difference in Knick land.

LOL and so true. I don’t mind so much “Talking shyt and venting”. It’s the “I know better” stuff that dudes get filled with that gets me. It’s a tough business when even the most ignorant fan can second guess. I’m an investment manager and I sympathize with these guys because I know statistically I will make mistakes/error/miscalculation because the variable you see one day change the next. To really understand the decision you have to look at what you had at the time you made the decision.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

4/25/2018  10:02 AM
MS wrote:1/30/2001: Knicks acquire Othella Harrington in exchange for Erick Strickland, a 2001 first-rounder (Jamaal Tinsley), and a 2001 second-rounder (Antonis Fotsis)

are you trying to get me to jump

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Nalod
USA
4/25/2018  11:35 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:

are you trying to get me to jump

Too early for Vicadin and a glass of Tito's?

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

4/25/2018  12:23 PM
My God, the Monday morning quarterbacking that goes on. For nearly a year we've had to hear how Phil blew it by not taking DSJ. I'd say anyone with sense would still make that choice. As for Mitchell, two things: 1) who was making his case at the time? Maybe 1 in a hundred. At the most. 2) Honestly, how do you think Mitchell would have done on this year's Knicks team? Probably better offensively than Frank but not like he did with the Jazz. And he would not be shining in the playoffs.

I know pants wetting is the Knicks fan thing to do but I'm still on board with watching Frank grow.

Missing D Mitchell will go down in KNick lore

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy