[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Is there anyone still defending Dolan hiring Phil, Phil or the Triangle as a good way to build our future?
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/24/2018  10:55 AM
martin wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:Phil was an understandable hire, given his success as a coach. Terrible GM. Porzibgis was a nice pick, but honestly he was generally ranked where he went. You, the UK reader could have made that pick, and many here would have. It was also the #4 pick, not exactly a bad spot to be picking. He msde terribke coaching decisions, pissed off the unicorn, generally made bad signings. Slept when he was supposed to be scouting. Not trading draft picks is great. Guess what its what every GM outside of a few contenders always does. He thought he had a playoff team each year and ended up the most losing coach in NYK history, by accident! So roster construction was nit anything he did welk. At least Philly was trying to lose...

I have never bought that logic.

Frank the Tank was a senior coming off a great tourney and a safe pick and Winslow was there and reportedly Boston wanted him so badly they were willing to offer multiple picks for him to move up; two guys projected to move into a team and contribute right away. Especially with Melo on board, those were 2 picks that would have fit his timeline.

KP, Hezonja, Mudiay were all overseas "mystery" picks, and if you didn't have the proper scouting as an organization, you were going to make a mistake.

OK4 was supposed to be the next Tim Duncan (light) and a can't miss talent. Not sure Russell was that same way but he must of shown a lot during interviews. Teams blew it with those picks.

KP was high risk/high reward... but no brainer at #4? As much as Russell or OK4 at #2 or #3?

KP has panned out, and lots of credit to the player and the people around him.

That was my POV as well. Honestly didnt have a reaction either way when his name was called. Not cause I wanted them to draft Russell. Its precisely because he was a high risk/reward player who spent his time coming off the bench in Europe. We werent really going to see what we had until KP started playing against NBA talent.

AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
4/24/2018  6:12 PM
martin wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:Phil was an understandable hire, given his success as a coach. Terrible GM. Porzibgis was a nice pick, but honestly he was generally ranked where he went. You, the UK reader could have made that pick, and many here would have. It was also the #4 pick, not exactly a bad spot to be picking. He msde terribke coaching decisions, pissed off the unicorn, generally made bad signings. Slept when he was supposed to be scouting. Not trading draft picks is great. Guess what its what every GM outside of a few contenders always does. He thought he had a playoff team each year and ended up the most losing coach in NYK history, by accident! So roster construction was nit anything he did welk. At least Philly was trying to lose...

Frank the Tank was a senior coming off a great tourney and a safe pick and Winslow was there and reportedly Boston wanted him so badly they were willing to offer multiple picks for him to move up; two guys projected to move into a team and contribute right away. Especially with Melo on board, those were 2 picks that would have fit his timeline.

KP, Hezonja, Mudiay were all overseas "mystery" picks, and if you didn't have the proper scouting as an organization, you were going to make a mistake.

OK4 was supposed to be the next Tim Duncan (light) and a can't miss talent. Not sure Russell was that same way but he must of shown a lot during interviews. Teams blew it with those picks.

KP was high risk/high reward... but no brainer at #4? As much as Russell or OK4 at #2 or #3?

Not how I remember it at all. Porzingis would have been a lottery pick the previous year but he pulled out of the draft. I was sure Hinkie would take KP and I thought the Magic might make a trade offer like they did to get Payton because they wanted KP so badly. Also, Rosen was saying that the Knicks needed a bigger butt than Towns at the time. I thought Phil was all in for Okafor. We know Knick scouts wanted KP from the reports out now.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nyknickzingis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6207

4/25/2018  7:36 AM
Phil Jackson had one quality pick to choose from in three years and four drafts. He took a great pick in Porzingis.
If Phil had all his lottery picks, things may have been different.
They are trade assets.
A means to rebuild.

The Sixers are an example of that.
Lots of good teams, draft a group of players, suck for a few years, and then those young players become really good together.

I don't know about Frank, but KP was definitely one of those guys. Frank's defensice potential is off the roof though. and it will be a great defensive foundation to have Frank at the ball and KP behind anchoring and moving as a mobile 5.

The real problem with Phil's plan was keeping Melo. Should have sent him packing the day he came. Phil's ultimate mistake was trying to build a winning team around Melo and also rebuild. You can't do both. Melo is not Kobe. He's a great scorer. but not a guy you can put young talent around and cheap veterans and expect him to put the team in the playoffs.

Still if I were Dolan, I would have let him finish the 5 years. Perry has done nothing in the past year or Mills that I think would have been much better than Phil's plan.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

4/25/2018  9:47 AM
martin wrote:

Most mock drafts had KP as a top 6 pick ahead of Frank the Tank...Right before the draft, there were reports that the Lakers were strongly considering him at 2....No way KP would have slipped past the Magic at 5 had the Knicks passed.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/25/2018  10:56 AM
Uptown wrote:
martin wrote:

Most mock drafts had KP as a top 6 pick ahead of Frank the Tank...Right before the draft, there were reports that the Lakers were strongly considering him at 2....No way KP would have slipped past the Magic at 5 had the Knicks passed.

Orlando and Knicks did their scouting right.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Is there anyone still defending Dolan hiring Phil, Phil or the Triangle as a good way to build our future?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy