OT C Rankings
Author Thread
Mac
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #470
Japan
9/10/2004  1:27 AM
Kahn's latest power rankings.

1. Shaquille O'Neal, Miami Heat: One of the best ever, and he's promising to reinvent himself with Heat.

2. Yao Ming, Houston Rockets: The next best thing, taller, better shooter, needs to develop his upper body.

3. Brad Miller, Sacramento Kings: He has surprising shooting range, great passing ability and is a good rebounder; durability is the big question.

4. Jamaal Magloire, New Orleans Hornets: He is becoming more dominant every year on both ends of the floor, and his first trip to the All-Star Game last February won't be his last.

5. Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Cleveland Cavaliers: Although not strong, he can score on anybody, rebounds decently and will occasionally block a shot.

6. Erick Dampier, Dallas Mavericks: After a very ordinary career, Dampier came on with bests in scoring, rebounding and blocks to get a fat new contract.

7. Ben Wallace, Detroit Pistons: He's by far the most undersized center in the league, but he is also the toughest, the best rebounder and right there among the best shot blockers.

8. Marcus Camby, Denver Nuggets: Lost in the amazing turnaround of the Nuggets last season and the promotion of Carmelo Anthony was the value of Camby on the boards and blocking shots. He's the key to their success.

9. Theo Ratliff, Portland Trail Blazers: He's the best shot blocker in the game when he's healthy and a good offensive rebounder who can make a difference.

10. Eddy Curry, Chicago Bulls: On paper, he's in the top five. He has all the requisite physical skills, but he has to prove he cares enough to actually compete on a nightly basis.

11. Rasho Nesterovic, San Antonio Spurs: He does all the things a guy next to Tim Duncan needs to do: hit open jumpers, block shots and rebound. He just needs to do it more.

Also receiving consideration: Mark Blount, Boston Celtics; Vlade Divac, Los Angeles Lakers; Mehmet Okur, Utah Jazz; Michael Olowokandi, Minnesota Timberwolves; Alonzo Mourning, New Jersey Nets.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/7660511

I'm sorry, but Dampier ahead of B Wallace!?!?
AUTOADVERT
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/10/2004  7:19 AM
To me Camby is still the most deadly out of all listed.....I think Camby's ability to run the court and start the break off a rebound or block shot is a crazy asset to have.....

I miss him so much

I think Nazr is just as good as some of the guys in the honorable mention.

I think Dan Gadzuric is gonna be good soon too....that dude can fly in the open court, he can hit the jumper, and is energetic....like he's on Xenadrine.

[Edited by - enyspree on 09/10/2004 07:22:55]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
bernard
Member: #475
9/10/2004  9:22 AM
Yeah, Wallace should be #3 IMO. And if we're talking about their game right now vs. future value, I'd put Vlade above some of those guys, certainly Curry and Rasho.

It's interesting to see just how weak this group is. Aside from Shaq, Yao and Wallace, not one is the most valuable guy on his team ... and many aren't even the 2nd most valuable. Miller, their #3, is probably 4th most valuable King (behind Webber, Bibby and Stojakovic). I'm not even sure if he's more important to that team the Jackson ... probably, but it's close. New Center position was weak, but this really brings it out. Makes me feel better about the 3 guys we have who will log minutes at the position.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
9/10/2004  9:28 AM
Exactly! I just pointed out in the No More KT thread that just about every other team needs a center.

Heck, even Detroit needs a center!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/10/2004  9:29 AM
Ben would be #2 in my voting. Yao has to improve on defense if he's gonna impact the game as much as Yao does. Ben at #7 is a joke.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/10/2004  9:33 AM
Yao has a bigger impact but for crying out loud... didnt Ben's team just beat Shaqs team for the title in 5 games (should have been 4)???

Ben's knock is simply that he's that bad on offense. What he does however is rebound on offense and give his guards more shots. Most important and not in the box score is the number of balls he tips back out to his own guys that result in open jumpers.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
MS
Member: #724
9/10/2004  9:35 AM
I have no problem with Brad Miller up that high, for most of the season before Webber game back he was scoring rebounding and dishing out assists and is a pretty good defender.

How Ben Wallace isn't higher is a mystery.

And Melo got all the credit last year which was funny considering he has a top five point guard, a top five cener, Nene, and great role players.

Its too bad that Layden's dumb ass moved camby because the knicks would have been one of the best teams in the East had they decided to take a rookie, when camby was out for most of the season, they could have let sprewell take his time coming back from a broken hand and probably would have got dwane wade.

It sounds a little crazy but they were just a few games better than the heat. Think about what really could have been that season.

Wade
Houston
Spree
Nene/Stoudamire/Boozer/Prince anyone of them they could have chose
Camby

It seems a little crazy but if Layden was just patient it would have happened.
CTKnicksfan
Member: #572
9/10/2004  9:43 AM
This list would look a lot better if guys like Duncan and J O'neal (who play center sometimes) are considered. Watch where Malone goes this year too. He's said to be considering Miami, SA, and Minnesota. If he goes to Miami, obviously he'd start at PF next to Shaq. But what if he goes to SA or Minny? Would they bring him off the bench? Or, would they start him and move their current all-star PFs Duncan/KG to center?
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
9/10/2004  10:22 AM
Posted by CTKnicksfan:

This list would look a lot better if guys like Duncan and J O'neal (who play center sometimes) are considered. Watch where Malone goes this year too. He's said to be considering Miami, SA, and Minnesota. If he goes to Miami, obviously he'd start at PF next to Shaq. But what if he goes to SA or Minny? Would they bring him off the bench? Or, would they start him and move their current all-star PFs Duncan/KG to center?

The fact that Duncan and KG are the tallest, most athletic players in the league and won't play center is ridiculous to me. Duncan got spoiled with the twin towers and KG is being silly. They need to man up and play center if they want to win it all.

Also, as for Brad Miller's value, I would love to have that guy here, even more than Camby. He's a big banger, has a sweet jumper, is the best pick and roll center and the best passing big man in the league. He's very good and a big reason that the Kings were great early on last year. The Kings fell apart when he got injured and Webber came back. Miller does what Vlade used to do for them and more. I would rank Kings like this: Bibby, Peja, Miller, Webber, Christie, Bobby.
¿ △ ?
edsonline
Member: #735
9/10/2004  10:59 AM
FOR GOD'S SAKE GET BIG Z!! I'd be willing to throw my old college roommate into the trade as a sex slave!!
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
9/13/2004  12:41 PM
my rankings from the zone

1. Shaquille O'Neal
2. Ben Wallace
3. Yao Ming
4. Jamaal Magloire
5. Zydrunas Ilgauskas
6. Samuel Dalembert
7. Brad Miller
8. Erick Dampier
9. Marcus Camby
10. Theo Ratliff
11. Mark Blount
12. Rasho Nesterovic
13. Eddy Curry
14. Vlade Divac
15. Raef LaFrentz
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/13/2004  1:51 PM
rather then just ranking them if I could add any to my roster with a snap of fingers here's how it would go (this takes into consideration age and current contract)
1)Shaq. Bottom line w/ Marbury, TT, Crawford, Houston and co we have a shot at winning 3 titles in 4 years.
2)Yao - see Shaq
3)Brad Miller- at 28 does it all. Though, good skills, physical and did I mention tough. This guy could have been a Knick of the 90s
4)Dalembert- hardworking, dirt cheap, ultra athletic, most upside of whole group
5)Jamaal Magloire- See Dalembert

I certainly conceed there may be better players right now, but in building my team this would be my list.
Big Ben- great but he's 6'8 and 30.
Dampier- contract's scary and hasnt done enough at 29 for me
Big Z- just too slow for my group
Camby/Ratliff- love them both but run/jump athletes on the wrong side of 30 also
Nesterovich- great player for the Spurs, only problem is we dont have Tim Duncan.

There's a slightly different take.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
OT C Rankings

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy