[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Looking ahead - a couple of Courtney Lee trade proposals for this offseason
Author Thread
ccinflushing
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6061

4/10/2018  8:03 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/10/2018  8:09 AM
I think there are a couple of over the cap teams with limited means of improving that need a SG upgrade and might be interested in obtaining Courtney Lee:

1. Detroit - these guys are locked into the contracts of Blake Griffin, Andre Drummond and Reggie Jackson

Detroit gets Courtney Lee ($12.25Mn), NYK get Langston Galloway ($7Mn) and Stanley Johnson ($3.9Mn)

2. Memphis - same situation as Detroit (Mike Conley. Marc Gasol, Chandler Parsons) - if they draft Luka Doncic, then this trade probably doesn't happen but otherwise reasonable possibility

Memphis gets Courtney Lee ($12.25Mn), NYK get Ben McElmore ($5.46Mn) and Jarrell Martin ($2.4Mn) both expiring contracts

in both instances, NY gets younger, more athletic and needed SF or PF depth, while creating $5-$13Mn in additional cap space for 2019.. with the added benefit of freeing up playing time for Dotson and Ntilikina ..

thoughts?

AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
4/10/2018  8:50 AM
I see us trying to get rid of his contract for a contract that expires next offseason.

Examples would be Lee to Minn for Aldrich

or Lee to Denver for Faried.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/10/2018  10:14 AM
some good ideas, but this is a guy that is solid and off the bench a good mentor.
I suppose like a lot of ideas how our draft goes might determine.
Also we will have to shed players going forward. Baker and Mudiay have one year left on their "auditions". I expect Baker to return and exceed what we saw of him this year.
If not, he will get bought out and waived. Mudiay is like a young JR smith. JR early in his career was erratic. I don't know if the kid is a bone head or not but im just talking on the floor. JR never played college.
Lee will be a good player for a contending team. I'd love to get a late no. 1 for him if we have to take any salary back.
MS
Member: #724
4/10/2018  1:13 PM
I think we keep him at this point. He's a professional and should be getting minutes next year. THJR didn't earn minutes this year, he continually took terrible shots, shot the team out of the game and Horny insisted on playing him. I would much rather see Hardaway moved back into a 6th man role that carries the offense on the second unit and still plays 30 minutes a night.
ccinflushing

4/10/2018  1:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/10/2018  1:43 PM
Knixkik wrote:I see us trying to get rid of his contract for a contract that expires next offseason.

An expiring contract would be ideal but I can't see either Denver or Minnesota wanting to add a high priced SG, like Detroit or Memphis might ..

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
4/10/2018  7:40 PM
MS wrote:I think we keep him at this point. He's a professional and should be getting minutes next year. THJR didn't earn minutes this year, he continually took terrible shots, shot the team out of the game and Horny insisted on playing him. I would much rather see Hardaway moved back into a 6th man role that carries the offense on the second unit and still plays 30 minutes a night.

Lee should get the opportunity to play for a contender and attempt to win a chip. May even get himself one more decent contract.

For both Lee and Thjr I would take a late pick in this yrs deep draft and a player with one more yr left to clean up our 2019 cap.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
ccinflushing

4/11/2018  5:26 AM
ccinflushing wrote:
Knixkik wrote:I see us trying to get rid of his contract for a contract that expires next offseason.

An expiring contract would be ideal but I can't see either Denver or Minnesota wanting to add a high priced SG, like Detroit or Memphis might ..

I also think Denver and Minnesota will be looking to clear salary with those trades, not adding to it

ccinflushing

4/11/2018  12:34 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
MS wrote:I think we keep him at this point. He's a professional and should be getting minutes next year. THJR didn't earn minutes this year, he continually took terrible shots, shot the team out of the game and Horny insisted on playing him. I would much rather see Hardaway moved back into a 6th man role that carries the offense on the second unit and still plays 30 minutes a night.

Lee should get the opportunity to play for a contender and attempt to win a chip. May even get himself one more decent contract.

For both Lee and Thjr I would take a late pick in this yrs deep draft and a player with one more yr left to clean up our 2019 cap.

I don't think anyone's giving up a late first for Lee - they've already to at the trade deadline - nothing's changed.

Sangfroid
Member: #2784

4/11/2018  2:09 PM
ccinflushing wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

I don't think anyone's giving up a late first for Lee - they've already to at the trade deadline - nothing's changed.

Ditto for THJ. With the year he's had and the salary he makes, he will be with the Knicks at least for the next two years. I can't see anything in the horizon for him but practice.

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
4/12/2018  10:13 AM
Lee is a sold addition to any team. For a potential playoff team he adds depth, character and leadership. When NY get to the next level then he would be perfect. Now he just takes time from the young talent trying to develop.

Time to move Lee. Either of those deals would be great but I don't think they happen.

unstopaball12
Member: #1137
Philippines
4/12/2018  5:46 PM

If Minnesota crashes in the first round(4 or 5 games) I can see them doing a trade for Aldrich plus first round pick for CLee. They need more defense with a bench of Rose and crawford, Lee will fit just in.

We waive Cole and use the first round pick packaged with Mudiay to get a future asset or higher pick.

ccinflushing

4/12/2018  6:24 PM
Again, don't see anyone offering a first for Courtney Lee ..

Also don't see SG as a priority for Minnesota ahead of improved PG and PF depth ..

unstopaball12
Member: #1137
Philippines
4/12/2018  10:41 PM
ccinflushing wrote:Again, don't see anyone offering a first for Courtney Lee ..

Also don't see SG as a priority for Minnesota ahead of improved PG and PF depth ..

Jamal Crawford and Cole Aldrich for Lee works. We can waive both players after.

If Minnesota moves away from Wiggins and trades him for Whiteside, they could have a need for a natural 2 and slide Butler to the 3.

ccinflushing

4/13/2018  5:54 AM
unstopaball12 wrote:

If Minnesota moves away from Wiggins and trades him for Whiteside, they could have a need for a natural 2 and slide Butler to the 3.

Crawford is a better overall player at half the cost, Minnesota is looking to shed salary not add to it, don't see them being interested in Whiteside when they already have Towns

If Kanter and KOQ both opt out, I can see the Knicks taking on Aldrich for the price of a future second rounder

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/13/2018  10:46 AM
ccinflushing wrote:
unstopaball12 wrote:

Crawford is a better overall player at half the cost, Minnesota is looking to shed salary not add to it, don't see them being interested in Whiteside when they already have Towns

If Kanter and KOQ both opt out, I can see the Knicks taking on Aldrich for the price of a future second rounder

No doubt Jamal is on a cheaper contract but I am not sure about his effectiveness, and he just turned 38, any minute now his effectiveness will drop precipitously.

Lee is no sure fire solution but he is a solid performer at SG and is bare minimum decant at defense.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
ccinflushing

4/22/2018  6:15 AM
Another possible Courtney Lee destination might be Utah in exchange for Alec Burke, who is younger and has an expiring contract .. he'd help their playoff push and has a similar salary to Alec

We hope that Alec benefits from a change of scenery ..

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
4/22/2018  6:45 AM
There are no easy Lee trades. We would have to send him to a contender who considers him an upgrade or to a young team looking for mentors. I think the latter is more likely. Maybe we send him back to Orlando for like a 2021 second round pick. Orlando is likely to lose one of their guards this offseason.
Trust the Process
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/22/2018  7:27 AM
TheGame wrote:There are no easy Lee trades. We would have to send him to a contender who considers him an upgrade or to a young team looking for mentors. I think the latter is more likely. Maybe we send him back to Orlando for like a 2021 second round pick. Orlando is likely to lose one of their guards this offseason.

Wouldnt mind a second round pick for Lee. Might as well stockpile them while KP recovers.Dont want to see lateral moves.

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
4/22/2018  7:33 AM
unstopaball12 wrote:

If Minnesota crashes in the first round(4 or 5 games) I can see them doing a trade for Aldrich plus first round pick for CLee. They need more defense with a bench of Rose and crawford, Lee will fit just in.

We waive Cole and use the first round pick packaged with Mudiay to get a future asset or higher pick.

Not so fast on waiving Cole. If KOQ and Enes are gone, someone needs to board and his initials ain’t KP.

ccinflushing

4/22/2018  8:06 AM
TheGame wrote:There are no easy Lee trades. We would have to send him to a contender who considers him an upgrade or to a young team looking for mentors. I think the latter is more likely. Maybe we send him back to Orlando for like a 2021 second round pick. Orlando is likely to lose one of their guards this offseason.

Utah is a contender .. Lee is an upgrade over Burks .. Utah has no SG depth .. it might not be the first option for Utah but as it gets later into free agency, I could see it as something they'd strongly consider ..

Looking ahead - a couple of Courtney Lee trade proposals for this offseason

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy